PDA

View Full Version : Info: BBC monitors 1960's

bocswn
19-10-2010, 09:54
Hi there I am looking for some help!! I purchsed some old BBC monitiors about 8 years ago and I am looking for some info? the units have no ID at all on them but when I open'd them inside I found a tag that had:

Unit FL6/4
Serial No 232
Date 27/2/64

The speakers are

A Goodmans of England 15" 65-11-369
and two tweeters T534 one has 1151 up and the other has low written on it

On the Xover it has fl 6/4/232 stamped in it

the units stand about 4 feet high with built in stands!

I am after info as I am looking to sell the speakers, but with no ID or anything I don't know where to start? I hope someone on here can help or kniow where I can go to get Info.

Many thanks!

Rare Bird
19-10-2010, 12:19
The only Beebs monitor i know with two tweeters & 15'' Goodmans is the LS5/1a, uses twin Celestion HF1300! If you supply a pic it would be easier

bocswn
19-10-2010, 13:37
Thanks look's like they could be LS5/1AE's will post some photos next time I go to the studio!

DSJR
19-10-2010, 14:11
If they're the ones I think they are, they should still be pretty good. I could be thinking of the KEF made model though, which I knew rather well..

Barry
19-10-2010, 16:57
Do they look like this:

http://www.hifiloudspeakers.info/PersonalKefTreasures/HenryCoelho/Gallery/images/04kef-ls5-1ac-2.jpg http://www.hifiloudspeakers.info/PersonalKefTreasures/HenryCoelho/Gallery/images/08kef-ls5-1ac-3.jpg

I'm sure KEF didn't make the amps. They must have had them made by sub-contractor and 'stuck their name on them'. Curious, as they are marked "KEF Dual Channel Power Amplifier/...." (the designation is illegible), yet they only have the one (Speakercon) output connector.
http://www.hifiloudspeakers.info/PersonalKefTreasures/HenryCoelho/Gallery/images/07e6_1_b%202.jpg
Later these amps (BBC designation AM 8/20) were made by Chord.
The following makes interesting reading:

http://www.mhennessy3.f9.co.uk/rogers/bbc_txt.htm

and

http://www.mhennessy3.f9.co.uk/showpic.htm?rogers/enginf4.jpg

Regards

DSJR
19-10-2010, 21:32
The KEF's I remember were sort of Spendor BC3/ATC100 size from the front. These above look chunkier from memory... The grilles were the silvery grey of early 1970's KEF's...

Rare Bird
19-10-2010, 23:25
The KEF's I remember were sort of Spendor BC3/ATC100 size from the front. These above look chunkier from memory... The grilles were the silvery grey of early 1970's KEF's...

Dave:
I think your thinking of the 'LS5/5B' maybe!

bocswn
20-10-2010, 13:32
Here are some photos of the units!

Rare Bird
20-10-2010, 13:37
Thewy have to be 'LS5/1a with the goodmans 15'' & twin tweeters.. can you take the grills off,

nat8808
20-10-2010, 13:38
A very quick google search of "BBC FL6/4" gave me this:

http://www.bbceng.info/Designs/RDCE/PARTIII/101to200/ipage_84.htm

LS5 MONITORING LOUDSPEAKER ASSEMBLIES
(Sub Group previously defined as "Studio Loudspeaker Assemblies" DD 1979).

LSS/1

Used for high quality checking.
Comprises Plessey Low Frequency
CP7302S/12/5, two GEC Presence Units
FL6/2, AM8/4 mounted in CT4/4. ACO.
Supersedes LSU/10.
Loudspeaker Type
Type BSC18S2/T534,
OBSOLETE.

LSS/1A

As LSS/l but Plessey Low Frequency Loudspeaker replaced by
Goodmans Type C129B/1SPR/1Sohm and FL6/2 replaced by
FL6/4. OBSOLETE.

LSS/2

Similar to LSS/1 but mounted in modified cabinet CT4/3 to
enable it to be suspended in television control rooms.
Later models have Goodmans speaker and FL6/4 as in LSS/LA,
are coded LSS/2A and use AM8/6 in place of AM8/4. The GEC
Presence Units are replaced by Rola Ce1estion Type
BSC1852/TS34 and cabinet is CT4/S. Weight: 9Slb. ACO.
OBSOLETE

(note that "LSS" should be "LS5" in many instances and LSS/LA probably LS5/1A - bad OCR scan I guess - and "presence units" must be high frequency units)

Amazing what you can find by searching the internet quickly..

bocswn
20-10-2010, 13:45
No well I have tried but not too hard as I don't want to force them! I know they were refinished in the late 90's and had new cloth put on the grils and painted a horible brown.

nat8808
20-10-2010, 14:32
Goodness, look at those cross-overs..

My tip for removing grills like that is to put a thin bit of plastic (like a flexible library card or ID card) down the side of the grill (to protect the wood) and pry it slowly and carefully in different places all round with a builder's type pallet knife thing (the thing used for filling holes with plaster).

Rare Bird
20-10-2010, 14:33
Looks like some false info floating about.

They are not Plessy 15'' unit they are Goodmans..those twin tweeters should be Celestion 'HF1300' the model is actually a very clever design..I'll leave you wondering but it involves the twin Tweeters in a way you wouldnt dream of.

Rare Bird
20-10-2010, 15:08
No well I have tried but not too hard as I don't want to force them!

Dont worry it's only strong velco all way around.

Barry
20-10-2010, 15:22

They are not Plessy 15'' unit they are Goodmans..those twin tweeters should be Celestion 'HF1300' the model is actually a very clever design..I'll leave you wondering but it involves the twin Tweeters in a way you wouldnt dream of.

Oo - you little tease you! :eyebrows:

Regards

Barry
21-10-2010, 10:17
Gentlemen

Clearly none of you have looked at the links I gave in my post (no.5). For the LS5/1 and LS5/1A the following information is given in the BBC document ENG INF No. 43, from which I quote:

"LS5/1, and LS5/1A
The studio versions of the LS3/1 and A, designed to replace the LSU/10. The cabinets were larger than the LS3/1 and the tweeters were mounted above the woofer, rather than in front of it.
The following units were used:
Plessey (LS5/1) or Goodmans C129/15pr (LS5/1A), 15-inch paper cone woofer
2 x Rola-Celestion HF1300 tweeters. "

Looking at the photos of your speakers, Mark, they are unquestionably the BBC LS5/1A.

The following, taken from the audio forum 'Speaker Talk' might be of interest:

"The LS5/1AC's are bi-amped speakers designed in the 1970's and updated by KEF in 1988 .
I bought these off a retired BBC engineer,who was very sad to let them go.

KEF /BBC DESCRIPTION FOR LS 5/1AC:
BBC MONITOR SPEAKERS
The monitor loudspeaker used by the BBC to judge the quality of its radio and television programmes has been developed by a highly experienced team of research workers and studio operations engineers over many years. Infact the model in current use is the result of thirty years continuous experience in operational broadcasting in which period the best brains and ears in Britain have contributed to its evolution. The basic conception of the BBC Monitor loudspeaker is quite different from most domestic high fidelity speakers in that the latter are usually only intended to give pleasing reproduction of a diversity of available programme material. To this end reasonable variations in tonal balance and colouration are considered admissible or even desirable if they produce aesthetic pleasure and it is not generally possible to control these effects sufficiently to ensure consistent performance between samples.

On the other hand a monitor speaker must produce the programme signal with the greatest possible accuracy without modification of tonal quality and devoid of colouration. Broadcasting and recording organisations use high quality speakers to asses the aesthetic and technical merits of their programmes and guide them in obtaining suitable microphone placing and studio conditions. It has been found by experienced engineers around the world that monitoring on mediocre loudspeakers can result in poorly balanced programmes due to faulty microphone technique as well as to allow technical faults to go unnoticed.
The BBC monitor Loudspeaker represents the best possible compromise between all the various requirements in the present state of the art added to which it has been tested at every stage of its development by subjective comparison between the reproduced sound and the original. In this regard this loudspeaker is virtually unique since no other organisation has access to such splendid facilities for both subjective assessment and technical analysis.

DESCRIPTION
The speaker system employs three units, which together cover the audio range available from present day records and broadcast programmes. The enclosure is constructed from high-grade veneered chipboard of a quality, which has been found by experiment to possess the smallest degree of self resonance of all suitable construction materials. The structure is reinforced by internal partitions which restrict the vibration of the back and sides and also by a metal strut between the front and the back panels. Mudocel damping is applied to the top panel.
The internal volume of the enclosure is 4.7 cubic feet and a small vent resonating with the volume of about 50c/s is used to give a slight boost to the low frequency output. Standing wave effects are damped by internal pads of absorbent material.

LF UNITS
The lowest frequency unit is a 15 inch paper cone type with a 3 inch diameter voice coil and PVC roll surround. Its axial frequency response extends smoothly up to about 2 Kc/s and it is relatively free of colouration effects. The sound output for this unit radiates through a vertical slot 7 and a half inches wide to ensure good horizontal dispersion up to the crossover point with the high frequency unit s at 1750 c/s.
HF UNITS
Two identical HF units are fitted each having a phenolic impregnated diaphragm. The frequency response extends smoothly up until 13kc/s above, which it dies away in a regular manner. Tests have shown that the output to be free from prominent low damped resonances. The two HF units are mounted in a vertical line above the LF unit in such a way that the separation between high and low frequency sound sources is not noticeable to listeners located over four feet away. Both units are operated in parallel at middle frequencies to increase power-handling capacity in the region close to the crossover point.
Above 3Kc/s the input to the upper HF unit is reduced to induce dispersion in the vertical plane and the phase is retarded as to direct the combined radiation pattern upwards

CROSSOVER NETWORK
A thirteen element printed circuit crossover network incorporates facilities for equalising minor irregularities in the LF unit as well as providing for adjustment for relative levels of LF and HF units in 1 DB steps. An additional network corrects the diffraction effect at low frequencies due to the finite size of the cabinet, as well as the low frequency loss due to the motional impedance.

ALTERNATIVE CABINETS
There are two versions, one a floor standing cabinet for studio and control room work and a suspended model for use in television control rooms.
The floor standing speaker model LS5/ 1A is intended to be operated on a 15 inch plinth above the floor which positions the HF unit at optimum listening height.
The plinth is designed to accommodate the equalised power amplifier conveniently beneath the speaker enclosure.
The suspended model is equipped with metal suspension gear, which enables the entire speaker to be tilted downwards at the required angle The LS5/2A requires additional equalisation at low frequencies to compensate for the loss of floor reflections. A suitable equaliser is available which can be incorporated with the power amplifier if required.
Both cabinets are available in a choice of oiled teak veneer or hammer grey lacquer.

SPECIFICATION

SIZE: LS5/1AC 33 X 19x 17 inches
Weight: 82 Lbs
Nominal Impedance 25 Ohms
Maximum input: 35 watts R.M.S
Frequency response : 40 –13 K/cs +_ 5db
Directivity index: Better than 54 db up to 3 Kc/s reaching 7db at 10 Kc/s
Calibration Accuracy: The axial frequency response checked against a BBC approved standard sample is adjusted so that the curve of the loudspeaker under test does not differ from that of the reference loudspeaker by more than the following amounts:
50 c/s - 200 c/s +_ 1.5 db
200 c/s – 400 c/s 0db
400 c/s – 13000 c/s +_ 1.5 db
13000 c/s- 15000 c/s +_ 2 db - infinity
The reproduction of the Loudspeaker under test is also compared with that from the reference speaker using high quality programme sources and white noise.

LF Unit: 15 inch Heavy paper cone with plasticised P.V.C. Roll surround.
Fundamental resonance: 25 c/s
Flux density: 9000 oersted on a 3 inch dia centre pole
Total Flux : 16000 maxwells

HF Unit: 1.5 inch diameter direct radiator with Phenotic impregnated - fabric diaphram
Flux density : 10,000 oersted
Total Flux : 25,500 maxwells

Crossover Network 13 Element printed circuit network employing Radiometal - - cored inductors and closed terminal metallised foil capacitors. - Completely enclosed and shielded in a steel case.

Input Connections : Canon XLR3 . Other connectors can be fitted to suit req.

Plinth: PLS5/ 1A Constricted from heavy plated steel finished in - - satin chrome with amplifier section brackets and heat shield.

Equalised Power Amplifier: Type MA40/LS5/1a . Fixed bias push pull amplifier delivering - 35 watts output over the entire audio range . The input
circuit is arranged for bridging 600 0hms balanced line at
- zero level and incorporates equalisation for the HF loss due - to roll off in the upper high frequency above 3 kc/s An input - attenuator is fitted giving infinitely variable control of - sensitivity. Output impedance of 25 ohms.

Input Connections P.O . Jack No. 500B6 in parallel with Painton 4 pin socket
Type 310035

Output Connection : Terminals

AC Mains Supply 110-140V or 220-250 V 50 c/s adjustable

Speaker units
LF unit : 15 inch (Unidentified)
HF Unit: Very powerful KEF T52. Same as fitted to the KEF KM1 studio monitors. Info :
http://www.hifiloudspeakers.info/Anatomy/SpeakerSystems/AnatomySpeakerSystems.html
&
http://www.kef.com/history/1980/km1.asp

KEF ARCHIVE DOCUMENT: http://www.hifiloudspeakers.info/Anatomy/KEFDocuments/LS5.1AC/WebPages/KEF5.1ACPaperp1.html

How do they sound?
Incredibly powerful at all volumes.
Very efficient wall of sould with amazing width and detail
Phenomenal Bass from the huge bass units.
Sweet detailed HF at all levels .
I 'd like to know whether I can bring the amps up to date
I suppose one could replace the caps with more modern equivalents,
they are the first things to start to fade with old age..Any Suggestions
as to who could expertly do the work ?
I'd like to insert some pictures intio this mail but am unsure how to,maybe someone could enlighten me?
Does anyone out there have any further info on these speakers, I would welcome any comms on that front...

Kindest regrds
Henry"

Regards

Rare Bird
21-10-2010, 11:20
Gentlemen
[B]
Clearly none of you have looked at the links I gave in my post (no.5).

:scratch: I've stated from the offset what they are

Barry
21-10-2010, 19:38
:scratch: I've stated from the offset what they are

Touché, though you still requested photos for assured confirmation.

Regards

bocswn
22-10-2010, 09:59
Thank you all so much for the Info I have been struggling for a while now to get any info. One last question where should I put the units up for sale and how much are they worth??

Thanks
Mark

Rare Bird
22-10-2010, 15:45
I'm suprised Marco aint intrested in these tbh..

nat8808
08-11-2010, 00:52

The links I gave (which contain the same info as Barry's links) are straight from the horse's mouth - the BBC's own technical archive. Plessys were used in the LS5/1, changed to Goodmans when turned into LS5/1A

The mention of the Plessys were before the photos of the actual speakers were posted up. All the Plessy info in the thread appears to be true and confirmed by BBC documents.

nat8808
08-11-2010, 00:53
Gentlemen

Clearly none of you have looked at the links I gave in my post (no.5). For the LS5/1 and LS5/1A the following information is given in the BBC document ENG INF No. 43, from which I quote:

I must admit I didn't read the info before posting my links from the BBC..

nat8808
08-11-2010, 01:02
Thank you all so much for the Info I have been struggling for a while now to get any info. One last question where should I put the units up for sale and how much are they worth??

Thanks
Mark

Ahhh.. All that effort to find you info just to help you sell them. :rolleyes: . Not only that, but all the info you needed could be easily found with a couple of Google searches! ...And no other interest in the forum (or at least no other posts). Oh well, increased our knowledge too I spose.

Well, hard to say. I'd have thought, with the BBC monitor enthusiasm that they would have a high-ish value but it turns out, judging by Ebay sales in the past I've seen and bidded on, their value is in the £200 - £300 region.

I bid on a one-owner pair with collection only from essex coast (so within reach to the highest populated area in the UK) and I lost the auction, finishing at £255.

They just don't have the kudos of say the LS5/8 and LS5/9 I'm afraid and people aren't that into those Goodmans drivers. How they actually sound isn't greatly important, more their internet rep.

Rare Bird
08-11-2010, 01:28
The links I gave (which contain the same info as Barry's links) are straight from the horse's mouth - the BBC's own technical archive. Plessys were used in the LS5/1, changed to Goodmans when turned into LS5/1A

The mention of the Plessys were before the photos of the actual speakers were posted up. All the Plessy info in the thread appears to be true and confirmed by BBC documents.

Hi Nat
Appologies, i wasnt saying your data was wrong i was trying to say thats there's a lot of mislead information on the internet.appologies once again if you though i aimed it at anything you posted.

DSJR
08-11-2010, 18:07
I'm wondering how good some of these old Goodmans speakers are (Magnums/magisters etc...). Vintage Celestions are becoming more noticed now and Goodmans Magnums were only ever used on the floor. Like Ditton 44's and KEF Concertos/Cadenzas, they may respond really well to being plonked on suitable stands...

Reid Malenfant
08-11-2010, 18:21
:lolsign: You speak for yourself or others Dave ;) My Cadenzas where on stands to get the tweeter at ear level :)

No point in half doing a job :eyebrows:

nat8808
08-11-2010, 19:03
Hi Nat
Appologies, i wasnt saying your data was wrong i was trying to say thats there's a lot of mislead information on the internet.appologies once again if you though i aimed it at anything you posted.

Thanks - none taken. I mis-understood your post - sorry about that.

Just wanted to say that this info seemed to be of the non-misleading type (of which, yes, there is a lot of out there).

Marco
08-11-2010, 22:08
Hi Dave,

Vintage Celestions are becoming more noticed now...

Oops...I wonder why? :eyebrows: ;)

Btw, the Dittons (and likely the whole of the rest of my system including Mana supports) will be demonstrated at Scalford Hall next year.

I would love you to make every effort to go, as it'd be cool to meet up at long last! :cool:

Marco.

DSJR
08-11-2010, 22:24
nah, not the crummy Ditton 15's :lol:, but the real ones - 33's, 44's and the potentially wonderful 66's, this latter already fetching silly money.

Mr Malenfant, in the early to mid 70's, big KEF and Goodmans speakers were plonked on the floor with the tweeter firing into ones knees, the resulting noise making a post radiogram "nice rich tone..." It was Spendor with the BC1 trolley stands I think, that started the stand revolution, quickly adopted by other two cubic foot box makers. it took a little longer for the squat Celestions and KEF's to be used this way and in fact, it wasn't until the company I worked for bought in the Cadenza and Concerto run-outs in '78 or so that I got to set them up on stands. they were transformed and I fell in love with the Concerto all over again...

Marco
08-11-2010, 22:26
Lol - so are you going to try and come to the show and hear how "crummy" they are? :)

Marco.

DSJR
08-11-2010, 22:30
Alex has threatened to drag me kicking and screaming with him :lol:

I spent too long living in Northants to ever really want to return, if only for a few hours - ghastly place................

Rare Bird
08-11-2010, 22:31
Be nice to get a good pair of B&W 'DM2a' on proper stands

DSJR
08-11-2010, 22:34
104ab's creamed them - both on stands ;)

Rare Bird
08-11-2010, 22:39
'DM4', i actually prefer 'DM4'

Marco
08-11-2010, 22:39

I spent too long living in Northants to ever really want to return, if only for a few hours - ghastly place................

Alex UK? Ace - two for the price of one! :lol: ;)

I can't comment on the surrounding area, but Scalford Hall is a lovely place, as is the countryside near it.

I didn't find Melton Mowbray in any way offensive, either...

Marco.

DSJR
08-11-2010, 22:48
You could have a nice "knife out" in Wellingborough and, IMO, "Kett'ring" ain't much better. The damp, dank air runs all through the Nene valley from just east of Northampton right out past Oundle and almost into Peterborough. Area is a Radon trap too and our then-house was built with a suspended concrete floor, supposedly to help with Radon infiltration.

Rare Bird
08-11-2010, 22:53

I can't comment on the surrounding area, but Scalford Hall is a lovely place, as is the countryside near it.

I didn't find Melton Mowbray in any way offensive, either...

Will Marco's taxi's be working from Melton ;)

Marco
08-11-2010, 22:56
Radon trap? Sorry, educate me... :scratch:

Anyway, none of that matters as you'll be in the hotel all day listening to music and drinking beer! ;)

Marco.

Marco
08-11-2010, 22:57
Will Marco's taxi's be working from Melton ;)

Oh yes siree... With the usual fare of f*ck all, too!

Have you sorted a lift then from Yorky? :)

Marco.

Rare Bird
08-11-2010, 22:59
Jump on the choo choo to Melton

Marco
08-11-2010, 23:02
Ah, yes..... :doh:

Be good to meet up again and have a proper natter this time :cool:

Marco.

Alex_UK
09-11-2010, 12:32

Yes Marco - I've already got the Gaffer tape and chloroform ready! :eyebrows:

I'm with you on Northants though, Dave - I was born in Northants, spent my first few years in either Rushden or Irchester, and returned frequently to Wellingborough to get mugged I mean visit the Grandparents ;) I have to go to Kettering frequently with work, but mercifully just to a business park on the outskirts!

Melton Mowbray, however, is a much nicer part of the County, and I'm sure we can find you a gas mask on ebay! ;)

Rare Bird
09-11-2010, 12:46
Be nice to meet you two if you go..

Marco
09-11-2010, 12:59
Hi Alex,

Yes Marco - I've already got the Gaffer tape and chloroform ready! :eyebrows:

Well, as it's a Sunday I'll have me frock on (usually a pastel coloured floral number with matching high-heeled peep-toe sandals)... Just don't dare clash with me! :kiss:

Melton Mowbray, however, is a much nicer part of the County

Indeed, and as far as the show is concerned, that's all that matters! ;)

Marco.

P.S What the bloody hell is a "Radon Trap"?

Reid Malenfant
09-11-2010, 13:15
P.S What the bloody hell is a "Radon Trap"?
Radon is a naturally occuring radioactive gas that comes from beneath the ground. I'm assuming that it won't penetrate concrete so your house won't fill with Radon gas & you won't give birth to any squid :eyebrows:

By the way, when the hell is this show? I reckon i could get a train to Melton Mowbray myself & come & annoy you all :ner:

Marco
09-11-2010, 13:27
Ah, cheers, Mark! I've never encountered that before, so hadn't heard of it. I think being well away from 'mass urbanisation' in North Wales cocoons me from this type of thing - thank God! ;)

Yes, do cruise along to the show (beers are on me) - it would be good to meet ya :cool:

Marco.

Reid Malenfant
09-11-2010, 13:34
I don't think it's anything to do with urbanisation ;) It's more to do with the type of underlying rock & it's permeability by the gas :eek:

Is this show this or next year? :help:

Back to the topic in question :eyebrows:

Marco
09-11-2010, 13:43
I thought you were more observant than that - lookie here, daftie:

http://www.theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8338

It's even a Sticky thread, too! :eyebrows:

I don't think it's anything to do with urbanisation It's more to do with the type of underlying rock & it's permeability by the gas...

Yes, but they shouldn't be building bloody houses on top of areas like that!!

And if it wasn't the case that of most land these days is being used to build houses on and create 'concrete jungles' (commercial greed for gold yet again :rolleyes:), then perhaps there wouldn't be any properties being built on "Radon Traps"?

...hence my reference to "urbanisation". We'd be in a much better state ecologically if building contractors didn't want to cram people together inside glorified 'chickens coops' all over the country, and left the land and perhaps a few trees in place instead.

Don't get me started on that one, mate! ;)

Marco.

Alex_UK
09-11-2010, 14:43
Be nice to meet you two if you go..

You too Andre - and I will keep working on Dave! ;) Be good to try and get as many AoS'ers there next time - everyone put 6th March 2011 in their diaries now and let's make a concerted effort to take over the place! :)

Reid Malenfant
14-11-2010, 20:47
I thought you were more observant than that - lookie here, daftie:

http://www.theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8338

It's even a Sticky thread, too! :eyebrows:
:doh:

Righty ho, i can get to Melton Mowbray dead easily, just checked the train services & i just need to hop on here at Peterborough & go through Stamford onto Melton :)

Of course the big question is how far is this place from Melton itself :scratch: & what transport is available apart from taxis :rolleyes:

Marco
19-11-2010, 09:21
Hi Mark,

It's not far at all from Melton - 2 or 3 miles, tops... I'd offer the same taxi service to you as I have to Andre, so if you're coming to the show, just get to Melton station, bell me on your mobby, and I'll come and pick you up in the Merc :)

Marco.

Reid Malenfant
19-11-2010, 12:13
Hi Mark,

It's not far at all from Melton - 2 or 3 miles, tops... I'd offer the same taxi service to you as I have to Andre, so if you're coming to the show, just get to Melton station, bell me on your mobby, and I'll come and pick you up in the Merc :)

Marco.
Very decent of you Marco :)

I'll see if i can liaise with Alex as i believe he's getting the train there as well. I'm pretty sure that he might need to change trains here at Pottyborough :scratch: If not then it'll still no doubt come via here anyway, in which case i might as well catch the same one :eyebrows:

Plenty of time to sort things out at any rate :)

Alex_UK
19-11-2010, 20:31
If you mean me Alex, then I'll be driving, and will be coming pretty much via Peterboro' - so I can pick you up on the way Mark - only thing to bear in mind is that I'm only intending on being there for the main day, not staying over so would travel back again late pm/early evening.

Reid Malenfant
19-11-2010, 20:35
If you mean me Alex, then I'll be driving, and will be coming pretty much via Peterboro' - so I can pick you up on the way Mark - only thing to bear in mind is that I'm only intending on being there for the main day, not staying over so would travel back again late pm/early evening.
Hey Alex, that's 100% cool :) I don't mind contributing to the petrol/diesel if you'd pick me up on the way chap ;) Brilliant, even better than i thought :lolsign:

That's it, be there or be square :eyebrows: I'll be in touch via PM ;)

Marco
19-11-2010, 20:46
Nice one, lads - we want a big AoS presence there this year, so team effort all round! :cool:

Marco.

darkmatter
30-11-2017, 14:11
Quick question relating to the BBC LS5/1A has anyone a link to a copy of the BBC research paper and or a copy of the crossover schematic?

Thanks

Simon

Barry
30-11-2017, 14:58
Quick question relating to the BBC LS5/1A has anyone a link to a copy of the BBC research paper and or a copy of the crossover schematic?

Thanks

Simon

The following might help:

http://www.keith-snook.info/wireless-world-magazine/Wireless-World-1968/New%20B.B.C.%20Monitoring%20Loudspeaker.pdf

http://www.hifiloudspeakers.info/speakertalk/viewtopic.php?t=424&sid=0be1f7ad20599049fa5e87ec48206fdd (and references within),

and

https://www.markhennessy.co.uk/rogers/bbc_txt.htm

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/rd/pubs/reports/1967-57.pdf (which is the BBC technical report, and is essentially the same as the first link).

http://uk.kef.com/explore-kef/kef-museum/1960s/bbc-monitor-ls51a-approx-1964-74

darkmatter
30-11-2017, 17:14
Many thanks Barry for the links :)

This may also be of interest to others

http://www.bbceng.info/ti/eqpt/LS3_1.pdf