PDA

View Full Version : Technics SL-1210MK5G Headshell weights?

Orient_Pirate
18-10-2010, 19:43
Hi All,

From what I have read here and other places on net the DL-103 responds well to high mass arms and headshells, but I guess there is a limit....

As I have a box standard 1210Mk5G with a DL-103 at present what weight headshell would work best in this current state? I understand the MK5G has a light weight arm made of titanium (I think?) and comes with a extra counter weight that screws into the rear of the arm.

Ive been looking at the Audio Technica AT-LH head shell series ,13,15 and 18 gram variants.

Which weight headshell would work best with my stock Mk5G arm bearing in mind that I want to upgrade to a Jelco 750D in the future and use it on that too?

:scratch:

Gdg
19-10-2010, 07:23
Hi Tim,
the owner's manual of the SL 1200 M5G says that the tonearm mass and the headshell weight is just the same of the other SL 1200 models.
The tonearm is not solid titanium, but it is titanium "finished".
The real difference between the tonearm of the M5G & the MKII is in the wiring, both internal and external, much better for the M5G.

If you want a cheap solution for installing the DL 103 on the SL 1200, have a look at this:
http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7086

Bye

about2
22-10-2010, 23:52
for the headshell 7.6g with leads.
The round weight that screws into the top of the headshell is 4.38g although it reads 4g on the top.
The rear auxillary weight that screws in to the rear of the arm is 10.46g
These weights were derived using my digital scale.

The arm's effective mass is 12g and adding the two additional weights you are up to about 27g. With the 103 the resonance frequency is about 12hz just a notch above the recommended ceiling of 11hz.

But Denon measures compliance higher than the norm so I would try it because you are close to the ideal resonance frequency. I have run a 103R with these extra weights and thought it sounded very fine!

I must confess that I'm not completely sure about my math because total weight is not the same as total mass. But I think it is very close to facilitate a 103 on the Technics arm.

Orient_Pirate
24-10-2010, 11:42
Thanks Guys for the suggestions.

Giovanni's looks a very technical approach but has seemed to work for him in practice. A few washers and a bolt with heavier head shell looks like an easy solution in the short-term to enjoy the standard arm at its best.

I've just picked up a 2nd hand AT-LH 13 head shell at 13g.Hope this doesn't tip the scales? Giovanni do you want to run the maths on this one?

Doug, your solution is the easiest one to try 'as is' and will give that a go too.

Will report back with the findings...

Gdg
24-10-2010, 12:38
Thanks Guys for the suggestions.

Giovanni's looks a very technical approach but has seemed to work for him in practice. A few washers and a bolt with heavier head shell looks like an easy solution in the short-term to enjoy the standard arm at its best.

I've just picked up a 2nd hand AT-LH 13 head shell at 13g.Hope this doesn't tip the scales? Giovanni do you want to run the maths on this one?

Doug, your solution is the easiest one to try 'as is' and will give that a go too.

Will report back with the findings...

Tim, into my report there is link to an Excel spreadsheet to do all calculations by yourself. Anyway, as per Marco initial suggestion, the H/S weight should be about 17 gr and my experiments lead me to find out the ideal weight of the assembly (H/S + cartridge + bolts&nuts + weights) to be around 27 / 28 grs. This value applies to the DL 103/R/SA, since the compliance is the same.

colinB
24-10-2010, 13:11
I dont want to hijack your thread Tim but i would like to know if the 103 would work on a Jelco 250st ( 18gm mass) . I need a replacement cart as mine is playing up.

DSJR
24-10-2010, 13:32
Didn't Marco suggest that the AT shells have a clearance problem with the Denon? I still feel that the Sumiko shell is probably the best option.