PDA

View Full Version : A good used turntable for less than £50?

horace
17-10-2010, 13:30
A mate of mine has recently come back from abroad and found that his turntable has gone missing in storage. The deck in question was a Rotel RP-830.

I'm thinking of getting him a replacement deck. I know he liked the Rotel, so I could look out for one of those, but could I do better for £50 (or less)?

The heart of his system is a 70s-tastic Technics receiver with a fairly reasonable mm phono stage in it.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Martin

Rare Bird
17-10-2010, 14:14
Hi Martin
Theres loads of Rotel 'RP830' on E-Bay

horace
17-10-2010, 14:30
Hi Martin

Hi Andre - yeah, and they aren't expensive either.

I don't know the Rotel very well - how would it rate against (say) a Dual 505 or Sansui SR222 (both decks I have owned in the dim and distant)?

Cheers

Martin

Rare Bird
17-10-2010, 14:42
The Dual 'CS505' should have the edge but a lot don't like the asthetics too much. The 'CS5000' is a nicer looking deck but i'd have thought more than £50 for one of those..If he likes the Rotel you may aswell just buy another..

John
17-10-2010, 15:08
I get a lenco and make a home made plinth; lots of info around and with the right plinth the lenco will sound very good

DSJR
17-10-2010, 15:54
The Lenco GL75 is the best of the cheapies, but it's not quite so cheap now and now "Technical & General" have retired, it may be more difficult to obtain the tonearm bearing blocks they all need every ten to fifteen years or so and also idler wheels etc...

That Rotel RP850 is the one to look out for. HiFi Choice recommended it, but didn't like the overly resonant plinth in the 830 model.

The Sansui and a whole host of others will suffer with the plinths IMO...

As for Duals, the idler driven auto decks are in a different sound quality league, having the potential to be excellent. The tonearms are in a different league as well and can take surprisingly good cartridges. "£50" ones to look out for are the 1019 (classic gaining value now), 1216, 1218, 1219, 1229 (the best of this series), 601, 512.. The 505 series sold by the bucketload but all of these have a modest performance ceiling beyond which they cannot be taken, regardless of mat or cartridge. Some of the Ortofon based cartridges are the Ortofon OM series, of which the OM20 stylus works brilliantly in the Dual. However the Ortofon/Henley pension pots now dictate the OM20 stylus as dangerously near £100, more than double what a 505 would cost.

Can you get a used Pro-Ject Debut for around fifty notes nowadays? The cartridge was an OM5e I think (?) and as the bodies are the same......... Treated to a light but rigid support, a Debut sounds really good, if a little "raw" with supplied cartridge and the arm was super-glued together in parts, but don't let that bother you ;) The pro-Ject 1.5 was better, but may still be fetching over a ton...

The Vinyl Adventure
17-10-2010, 16:47
If you could stretch to a little bit more, I'm gonna be selling my thorens td160 at some point... ...

DSJR
17-10-2010, 16:53
That's a much better bet allround. What are you going to look at next Hamish?

The Vinyl Adventure
17-10-2010, 16:59
Still thinking dave, maybe a more moddable thorens, or a long term vintage project ...
I have more pressing plans for my money though at the moment as we have discussed :)

Beechwoods
17-10-2010, 17:21
I agree with Dave on the Lenco point - excellent turntables, but likely to cost nearer £100 for a basic L75 these days. Garrard > Thorens > Lenco, prices seems to be rising for Thorens and Lencos in line with Garrards going astronomical :)

Rare Bird
17-10-2010, 17:35
Sorry Chaps with Martin Mentioning the Rotel '830', Sansui '222' i though he was after a A modern no fuss style of deck!

goraman
17-10-2010, 17:35
Hi Martin

Yah,mabey even his missing one.

Reid Malenfant
17-10-2010, 17:59
He can have a quartz locked direct drive JVC for £20+ P&P ;) No cartridge though admittedly :doh:

horace
17-10-2010, 19:48
Yah,mabey even his missing one.

Quite.

Never, never, never put your stuff in commercial storage. I've never heard of anyone getting everything back (myself included - we lost a load of garden furniture amongst other random stuff :scratch:).

Martin

horace
17-10-2010, 20:03
Thanks for all the replies.

I don't think a 'build your own plinth and knit your own tonearm' solution is quite the thing here, but no problem with older decks (the receiver it will be used with has rather fetching wooden top and cheeks) - I don't object to bit of messing about with setup.

Ideally, I'd like to buy my mate something a little better than the Rotel he lost and not spend more than £50 (well, maybe a bit more...).

As an aside, the Technics receiver came from me a few years back. I gave it to my mate to tide him over between systems and he never felt the need to change it. Recently, I cleared out my mother's attic and found the original receipt my father got when he bought the Technics receiver, a Trio semi-auto record deck and a pair of AR 2ax speakers - £380 back in 1973. What's that in today's money?

Incidentally the receiver has never been serviced or repaired - apart from a bit of crackle on the volume pot it still works perfectly. Not bad for a component nearly as old as I am.....

Sorry, I've had a few glasses of red and am waffling :).

:cool:

Martin

The Grand Wazoo
17-10-2010, 20:52
Recently, I cleared out my mother's attic and found the original receipt my father got when he bought the Technics receiver, a Trio semi-auto record deck and a pair of AR 2ax speakers - £380 back in 1973. What's that in today's money?

It depends which method you choose to use, but according to:
Measuring Worth
http://www.measuringworth.com/ukcompare/result.php

Five Ways to Compute the Relative Value of a U.K. Pound Amount, 1830 to Present

Current data is only available till 2009. In 2009, the relative worth of £370.00 from 1973 is:

£3,330.00
using the retail price index

£3,380.00
using the GDP deflator

£5,420.00
using the average earnings

£6,300.00
using the per capita GDP

£6,930.00
using the share of GDP

Batty
17-10-2010, 21:53
Quite.

Never, never, never put your stuff in commercial storage. I've never heard of anyone getting everything back (myself included - we lost a load of garden furniture amongst other random stuff :scratch:).

Martin

Totally agree, I got bitten too, lost my Sony Walkman professional and 2 pairs of Ray-Bans. Gouges down the side of my DM2's that were in boxes !!! and snapped spikes on my rack. The Cyrus 2 no longer worked when I got it back this made the PSX redundant, all added up to around 2500 quid.

horace
18-10-2010, 08:49
It depends which method you choose to use, but according to:
Measuring Worth
http://www.measuringworth.com/ukcompare/result.php

Five Ways to Compute the Relative Value of a U.K. Pound Amount, 1830 to Present

Current data is only available till 2009. In 2009, the relative worth of £370.00 from 1973 is:

£3,330.00
using the retail price index

£3,380.00
using the GDP deflator

£5,420.00
using the average earnings

£6,300.00
using the per capita GDP

£6,930.00
using the share of GDP

:wow:

My dad must have robbed a bank or something :lol:

Martin

DSJR
30-10-2010, 14:38
This thread is a bit old now, but I have a Pro-Ject Debut II with OM5e cartridge available if anyone's interested for around £50 or near offer. It's a good little deck, surprisingly well engineered where it matters with a good bearing and the arm, although preset to 2 grammes downforce for the supplied cartridge, can be re-balanced for an OM20 stylus, which I suspect would transform it as long as noone minded spending more on the stylus than the turntable (what is it with Ortofon and Henley Designs' pricing policy???????). I suspect the exit cable could be cheaply upgraded to some Van Damme pro Patch mic cable as well (as long as you could do it yourself).