PDA

View Full Version : Black Gate FK Capacitors

Covenant
17-10-2010, 10:26
Does anyone have experience of these? I have been looking for an alternative to the Rubycon Blacks that Stan is fitting in the discrete output stage but most are too big or an absurd price for the 47uF value required.
Any other suggestions welcome.

StanleyB
17-10-2010, 11:13
I hope that you are aware that Rubycon made the Blackgates;).

Covenant
17-10-2010, 11:18
I must confess I wasn't:o:o I thought Black Gate had ceased trading and old stock was being used up.
However I assume it isn't the FK range that you are using in the discrete stage, as they are a bit pricey?

StanleyB
17-10-2010, 11:24
I can't find the FK range in the latest Rubycon product spec (http://www.rubycon.co.jp/en/catalog/e_pdfs/aluminum/Products_Eng.pdf)

I can get hold of the grey 47uF, but they were offered to me too late and at a price of 50p each.. I don't know if the source still has them, but if you want to try some of those I can buy a small qty off him.

Covenant
17-10-2010, 11:35
Have a look here Stan: http://www.percyaudio.com/
It means importing from the States but the exchange rate is ok at the moment.

StanleyB
17-10-2010, 11:42
Most of these companies can't handle production quantities. Remember when I first showed the WM8716 mod for the TC-7520? Within two weeks you couldn't buy a WM8716 for love nor money..

Rare Bird
17-10-2010, 11:53
Does anyone have experience of these? I have been looking for an alternative to the Rubycon Blacks that Stan is fitting in the discrete output stage but most are too big or an absurd price for the 47uF value required.
Any other suggestions welcome.

i prefer Elna Silmic II but Panasonic 'FC' if on a buget! For digital circuits Sanyo Oscon SEPC

Thats my recommendations..

Techno Commander
17-10-2010, 12:30
Nichicon are a good lower cost alternative.

Covenant
17-10-2010, 12:32
i prefer Elna Silmic II but Panasonic 'FC' if on a buget! For digital circuits Sanyo Oscon SEPC

Thats my recommendations..

Thanks Andre. My Standac is full of Elna Silmic 11's at the moment and I agree they are nice.

Gazjam
17-10-2010, 14:42
Hey Jerry,
I tried selection of electrolytic capacitors, and found the Nicheon Muse KG to be the best.
I found The Slimic's to be too "smooth" and undynamic compared to the Nicheons..

I tried the Black Rubycons from Jimmy at Tirna, the Nicheon FG and KG, as well as the green Nicheon ES, which a couple of the forum guys here swear by for their caiman passive mod.

Nicheon Muse KG best
Nicheon Muse ES (Green) 2nd
Muse FG 3rd
Elna Slimic II 4th
Rubycon black 5th

I have to say the yellow film caps sound a fair better than even the best of the above..be better if I can get them in the case though!!

Actually, you mentioning your Dac being full of Elna Slimics got me thinking....

So is mine, and I wonder (and I think Ill try it) if replacing the Slimics with Nicheon KG will make for a more dynamic sounding Dac - which in my system would be a good thing.

This is the difference I found between the Slimic's and the Nicheon KG caps in theselves...the Nicheon's just sounded more "real" and was more dynamic sounding with more contrast.
They made you sit up and notice the music more, which is the kind of system I like - not laid back and in the background.
So yeah, another dac mod lined up for me...:)

Rare Bird
17-10-2010, 14:53
Hi Gaz
Your right the Silmic's are smoothe thats what i like about em, but undynamic i didnt find that!..All depends what people like really.I'm gonna try the Muse KG see what they are like.

Gazjam
17-10-2010, 15:25
Hi Andre,
the Slimic's aren't undynamic sounding in themselves..just when compared to the Muse KG I found them a bit flat sounding...

Covenant
17-10-2010, 15:35
Thanks Gaz,
Surprised you found the green Muse better than the FG as the latter is a bit more expensive. Its really difficult getting anything thats 47uF.

Rare Bird
17-10-2010, 15:42
Thanks Gaz,
Surprised you found the green Muse better than the FG as the latter is a bit more expensive. Its really difficult getting anything thats 47uF.

Jerry i have a two 47uF/50v In Silmic II & some Panasonic 'FC' spare

Covenant
17-10-2010, 15:59
Thanks Andre but I need 4 caps all the same.

Rare Bird
17-10-2010, 16:02
Thanks Andre but I need 4 caps all the same.

I've got 4 Panasonic 'FC' if you want em! PM your details, i'll get them in the post tomorrow for you..

Kabeer
17-10-2010, 16:11
In the few DIY projects iv tried and heard, for some reason I wasnt a big fan of the blackgates. For some reason I found them a bit...'dead' and thick sounding.
I prefered caps like the Panasonics and Wima.

Gazjam
18-10-2010, 06:13
Thanks Gaz,

From the Website Jerry...

"The Nichicon Muse KZ type electrolyitc are Nichicon`s premium grade type, specifically designed for audio. "

Covenant
18-10-2010, 07:11
From the Website Jerry...

"The Nichicon Muse KZ type electrolyitc are Nichicon`s premium grade type, specifically designed for audio. "

But not available in 47uF value I'm afraid.

Covenant
18-10-2010, 07:40
Ignore that Gaz, I was getting confused between the KZ and KG range so 4 KZ's are now ordered. They are actually cheaper that their Finest Gold range in 47uF value. So £1.12 plus P & P has been spent by yours truly.:mental:

Gazjam
18-10-2010, 10:17
Ignore that Gaz, I was getting confused between the KZ and KG range so 4 KZ's are now ordered. They are actually cheaper that their Finest Gold range in 47uF value. So £1.12 plus P & P has been spent by yours truly.:mental:

No worries, I think you'll find they are very very good. Clear, dynamic with a massive soundstage, best cap of that type I tried.
One thing though, the metal legs are a bit thicker than teh other ones, so you'll have to file them back a wee bit to get them to fit in the socket holes.

5 minute job though.