PDA

View Full Version : Hi Folks

gary
14-07-2008, 18:59
Hi Folks Just a quick hello to introduce myself to you all I am a self employed laminate and wood flooring fitter from south lanarkshire I love my music thats why I'm here my system at present is a naim system Nac102/Nap180 Pre Power CDX Cd Player with Chord Sig Cables and ProAc Future 0.5 Speakers I have a series case of upgradeitis so may not stay that way for long but thats half the fun re exploring your collection every now and again

Mike
14-07-2008, 19:19
Hi Gary, and welcome to AoS.

Enjoy.... :)

Marco
14-07-2008, 19:23
Hi Gary,

Welcome to the forum - nice one :)

Get stuck into some of the discussions and enjoy!

Where did you hear about us?

Marco.

gary
14-07-2008, 19:30
I was browsing for reviews and this site came up so I joined I have been going down an all Naim route so I think it will be real interesting to hear what others have to say on the subject

gary
14-07-2008, 19:33
Thanks Mike or is it Shian7

Mike
14-07-2008, 19:37
Thanks Mike or is it Shian7

Mike... but either will do! ;)

Beechwoods
14-07-2008, 19:53
Welcome!

http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/jumping/jumping0044.gif

gary
14-07-2008, 20:03
Thanks for saying Hello its nice to find a forum where members take the time to say hello I think I am going to like it here

Beechwoods
14-07-2008, 20:23
It's a very friendly place here. I like to think it's like a little village hi-fi club ;) There are plenty of 'elders' with much widom to dispense, and plenty of little kids running round making more trouble than sense :gig: < that's me

snapper
15-07-2008, 10:31
Hi Gary

Welcome.

I believe you're not too far from me.(North Ayrshire)

Steve Toy
15-07-2008, 13:12
Hi Gary,

There are ways to get the Naim sound and more without using Naim - as I've discovered. Not that there is anything wrong with Naim, I personally like what it does but it is good to explore alternatives.

This is a place where you can find out how.

Welcome to the Art of Sound.

gary
15-07-2008, 19:29
Hi David

Thanks, No not that far I am just outside Carluke in South Lanarkshire

Marco
15-07-2008, 19:31
You haven't escaped from Carstairs have you? :lolsign:

;)

Only kidding, Gary. I know your part of the world well.

Marco.

gary
15-07-2008, 19:37
Begs the question how you know about Carstairs so well mmm LOL
Always thought hifi enthuisiasts were a bit nuts right enough (Oh wait a minute thats me too, Oh well)

gary
15-07-2008, 19:40
Hi steve,
Thanks for saying hello, I certainly hope so naim upgrades are awfully hard on the wallet

Filterlab
15-07-2008, 19:54
Welcome Gary, nice to have you here. :)

gary
15-07-2008, 20:04
Hi Rob , Thanks for the welcome

Filterlab
15-07-2008, 20:05
My pleasure.

How do you find the Chord Signature cables by the way? They were on my shortlist a couple of years back - seemed exceptionally clean and revealing to me. What's your opinion of them?

gary
15-07-2008, 20:46
Rob
I couldn't believe the difference the Chord cables made to my system it was like plugging in a complete new amp Bass delivery was better stereo imaging improved overall scale and definition was better and all from a cable I had been using Van der Hul cables and they were really strangling the sound in comparison

gary
15-07-2008, 22:59
The only thing about the chord cables is they have quite a long burn in period I haven't a clue why this is but try listen to a run in set in comparison to a new set and you will see what I mean

Steve Toy
16-07-2008, 00:45
I've not tried Chord Signature but I am using Epic Twin in my system with some Chord Sig jumper leads between the LF and HF connections on the back of my speakers.

I'd like to do the comparison properly one day for myself but a couple of opinions that I trust have suggested that the Epic is better at overall cohesion than the Sig.

Only one way to find out I guess.

(You are right, Chord cables like many others do need long up-and-down-along-the-way burn-in times.)

Yes Naim does hurt the wallet. There really is only one Naim system that would do if I were to go down that particular route - CDS 555/Nac552/Nap500 on Fraim with SL2s (or Allęs at a push) with the new power leads and Hi-line i/cs. Ouch!

I think I could achieve similar or better results that preserve the integrity of the music, as has always been a strength of Naim, plus more besides for a lot less money.

Kashy
16-07-2008, 04:17
G'day All,

Just a quick note to say hello...

I joined this forum to be in contact with some audiophiles. I am still building my system hence why i am here to grab some ideas.

Cheers

Kashy

gary
16-07-2008, 07:21
Hi Kashy I am new to this forum too welcome and thanks for saying hi.

Gary

gary
16-07-2008, 07:30
Hi Steve , Yes the top flight naim system is amazing my local dealer Alan at Loud & Clear Glasgow was good enough to let me hear it along with some other very expensive kit unfortunately it is way out of my budget, the biggest problem for me like many other naimees is just that I like the way naim presents the music to you and as you go further up the range it just does it better. That is not to say that I am closed to other makes thats why I am here looking too find out what other kit is capable of providing similar or better results especially from people who have perhaps been down the naim road before and found other kit they believe is better or at least worth a listen, Thanks

Gary

Marco
16-07-2008, 07:42
Gary,

I'm sure we can help on that score. Before my current system (listed in my signature) I used a CDS2/XPS2, 52/Supercap/135s, and I started off with a CDX/72/Hi/140 (bought from L&C) and worked up to that... So yes, I know a 'wee bit' about Naim gear ;)

There are others here with similar experience. Where in Glasgow are you? I used to live there (Thornliebank, Crookston, then Ralston). I also know Boydy. Next time you speak to him tell him Marco says 'hello'.

Marco.

Filterlab
16-07-2008, 07:47
I found the Chords very nice indeed, the set I had were demo cables from a dealer (very well run in :)), they came second to my current interconnects out of a dozen or so sets. I would have had them as an alternative to my Avengers if the price was a little lower.

Very nice.

gary
16-07-2008, 17:33
Hi Marco
I am in Law village near Carluke Glasgow is the closest decent HiFi dealer and Alan has been really good to me I will tell him you said hello.

Marco
16-07-2008, 18:03
Alan is definitely one of the 'good guy' dealers :)

He was very unfortunate in that I met him in the early days of L&C just before my move to Wales when I started 'experimenting' with hi-end Naim gear, otherwise he would have got the £30k I spent on brand new kit instead of a certain twat in Chester...

Alan's doing very well now and I wish him all the best.

These days though I use my head more than my wallet when it comes to hi-fi ;)

Marco.

gary
16-07-2008, 21:37
Yes most definately one of the good guys would recommend his shop in a second (Sorry trying to be carfeful not hear to promote individual dealers) but anyone near Glasgow LOL
Will be interesting to get some opinions from forum on alternatives to naim. really quite interested in valve amps they seem to have a much warmer presentation than solid state not so keen on vinyl however and I know for a lot of you that is the ultimate source but I just feel (a) vinyl to hard to get (b) too hard to keep in good condition it sounds amazing on the right system of course when new but listening to scratched record does my head in been through that years ago pre cd era

Steve Toy
17-07-2008, 01:06
Gary,

I use valves but I don't use vinyl.

Valves are like solid state in that you can't generalise how they'll sound. Some are incredibly bright, others warmer. Mine is dynamic and involving which one could expect given my Naim/Densen past systems.

What a decent valve amp will do over just about any solid state amp is realism and sheer resolving power. The downside is they are relatively high maintenance - output valves usually have to be changed every couple of years or so and the power consumption is frankly horrendous. You also have to choose your speakers carefully - no nasty impedance curves through frequency and high sensitivity is always good if you don't want a soggy/limp sound and/or a lack of headroom.