PDA

View Full Version : I think the CD player has to go

colinB
16-10-2010, 14:28
This morning , during my usual marathon sprint to get ready for work, i found myself scanning the room for any unwanted objects i could sell to raise funds for my emergency stylus replacement. Ideally, i want to buy the Ortofon 2m black i have always coveted. Im also aware of prices rising again soon so i dont want to hang about.
So ,the only thing of any value i could see was my beloved Arcam 192 cd player. I cant believe im thinking of selling it after all the extra shifts i had to do to buy, the pride of ownership, the pleasure it has given me. But these days i only use it for the occasional classical cd, i spend most of the time playing vinyl. It makes sense to spend a bit more on the Technics and the PSU ive been meaning to get for ages and later get a Squeezebox for my digital music.

I still cant believe it though. Selling my Arcam. How things change in such a short space of time.

The Vinyl Adventure
16-10-2010, 15:08
Do it man, I sold my techie recently to help pay for my camera repair... It hurt, but I'm happier with a working camera than a techie
The psu for the techie will make you happy, and that's a fact!
All those shifts you did haven't been lost, if you have had enjoyment out of the cd player then that's what you paid for... Flog it, get your cart and your psu and you won't look back!
If you want to play CDs get an early ps1 for £20 of eBay, the cd playback is perfectly palatable... And you can play old games on it!

DSJR
16-10-2010, 15:26
If you don'y use the CD player much then sell it as it can always be replaced later with summat half decent, one or two-box.

I think you may have missed the boat on price rises as Henley/Ortofon have given themselves yet another price rise. You know, Ortofon have really priced themselves out of the market IMO. Sorry guys, you need to cut your wages bill and make your stuff more affordable. The days of the packaging costing more than the cartridge are well over now, or hadn't you guys heard there's a recession on :( :steam:

P.S. I'll give you a little example. At the bottom of the market are styli for old ceramic cartridges. of conical profile, these styli have TWO diamond tips on them of quite adequate quality (ok, they're shank mounted but that's not the current point), an aluminium cantilever of various lengths and a plastic housing with "turnover" lever. Retail cost? Around a fiver. Don't think for one minute that a superior tip profile is going to cost vastly more with today's automatic machinery polishing and setting the stones in/on the cantilevers. I get really annoyed when £1 manufacturing difference becomes many tens of pounds more in purchase price in today's market. it just smacks of excessive greed to me...

colinB
16-10-2010, 15:46
Thanks all for the vote of confidence. Feeling a bit better about it now.

I know what you mean about the cart prices. I thought i was smart buying the 2m blue and then buying the 2m black upgraded body that someone was selling on e bay after breaking the stylus. Got it for £30 :) but then Henley racked the prices up something stupid:(
I have thought about going for the equivalent fine line in the old Goldring 1000 series. Much more affordable.

I like the Play Station solution Hamish. Its been years now but i really would love to play Gran Turismo again.

DSJR
16-10-2010, 16:03
I still like the Sumiko BPS and also the Nagaoka's still haven't been "re-discovered" yet, so look there on Musonic's site for Nag prices and HiFi Dave for the BPS ;)

The Stanton 681EEE mk3 is still affordable at just over a ton and the very closely related Pickering XV15 series has the long standing and much loved XV15/625 (680EE equivalent I think), the 757S and 1800S line-contact and the 2400Q Quadrahedral styli still, which should take the identical 680 body up to a different level altogether (the Stanton trade-name seems to be more heavy-duty club and DJ use these days, the 681EEE being an exception, Pickering having more domestic-audio models I think).

Barry
16-10-2010, 18:23
I still like the Sumiko BPS ......

I'm listening to a Sumiko Blue Point Stereo at the moment.

It being loaned to me for a fortnight. I'm scarred stiff of the highly vulnerable cantilever; it's just asking to be snapped off! A full report will follow.

Regards

Rare Bird
17-10-2010, 23:15
The Stanton 681EEE mk3 is still affordable at just over a ton and the very closely related Pickering XV15 series has the long standing and much loved XV15/625

some years ago i had one of those fitted on Townshend 'Avalon'/'Rega 'RB250' didnt half sound alwright.

Gdg
18-10-2010, 10:33
I had my CD Player broken 3 years ago (it was a TEAC VRDS-9 modified). I thrown it in the trash, I didn't buy a new CD player, and I don't miss it at all. I have 3000 CDs and I continue to buy them but for car and office playing. At home, only vinyls.

Batty
18-10-2010, 21:25
I have just put my CD63 KI sig up for sale, it's a dust collector, hardly use it.