PDA

View Full Version : What was your best hifi bargain?

Reid Malenfant
15-10-2010, 17:30
Well we have a thread about the worst equipment people have bought so i thought this might be interesting ;) It doesn't matter if you were given something or payed for it. It'd be interesting to see what you regard as your best bit of kit for the money :)

I could gibber on about my Krell DT10 but that's not the best bang for a buck i have had :eyebrows:

I used to visit a lot of local car boot sales & one day whilst wandering round i saw something interesting. Keeping my best poker face on i moved in to take a look :eyebrows: What i had come accross was a rather nice cassette deck that looked as if it had been hit with the ugly stick :lol: So i asked the chap how much he wanted for it, the reply was £1, seeing as i like to haggle i offered the bloke 50p. He admitted he couldn't test it to see if it worked as it didn't have a built in amplifier & he had nothing to plug it into & no leads, so he accepted my 50p & i walked off with about 2.5 stone of cassette deck & a concealed smile on my face.

Having gotten it home it was nice to discover that it worked, everything worked, though it was running a tad fast. Off with the lid & it was soon spinning at the correct speed. Unfortunately it wasn't perfect in the bodywork department, with an odd scratch on the front panel. The top was worse with a load of veneer missing, so i filled & painted it. Shame but there you go.

The object of my 50p affection?

An Akai GXC-760D (http://www.thevintageknob.org/THEVAULT1/GXC760D/GXC760D.html). 3 head dual capstan & built like a brick sh*thouse & it sounds bloody wonderful :)

This looks like £400+ to me (http://www.audio-extasa.eu/akai-gxc760d-cassette-deck-p-731.html) :eyebrows:

Ali Tait
15-10-2010, 17:37
That's easy. A workmate GAVE me a pair of Quad ESL 57's!

Reid Malenfant
15-10-2010, 17:40
I guess that can't really be beaten Ali :lol:

spendorman
15-10-2010, 17:40
On the theme of cassette decks, about 5 years ago I noticed a cassette deck on a skip. It was complete with connecting leads, microphone, instruction book in poly bag.

Could not believe my eyes a Tandberg TCD-310 and looked to be in as new condition.

It was quickly removed from the skip! A lucky find, but it must be faulty, no, works perfectly, a very nice machine.

Reid Malenfant
15-10-2010, 17:53
Actually Ali you just reminded me that i was given a very nice pioneer receiver that again works perfectly :) Very nice it is to, but not top of the range at the time. Still you can't argue with 120W RMS 8 ohm per channel :eyebrows: Pioneer SX-1080 (http://techtalk.parts-express.com/showpost.php?p=1579721&postcount=15) Again it's not perfect in the cosmetic department, but vastly better than the Akai cassette deck was. I might see about restoring the woodwork as it only needs a bit of work to get it back to as it should be :)

On the theme of cassette decks, about 5 years ago I noticed a cassette deck on a skip. It was complete with connecting leads, microphone, instruction book in poly bag.

Could not believe my eyes a Tandberg TCD-310 and looked to be in as new condition.

It was quickly removed from the skip! A lucky find, but it must be faulty, no, works perfectly, a very nice machine.
Very nice to, i guess they decided minidisc was better :lolsign:

Dave Hewitt
15-10-2010, 17:56
Hi
When audiolab released the8000t several years ago I wanted one,but the price was too high.These tuners had only been on the market for a few months,I called in my local second hand shop one day to see what bargains were to be had and was surprised to see one for sale.trying to keep a straight face I asked the guy how much.This wont be cheap he replied it weighs a ton and must be worth at least thirty quid of anyones money.Got my money out as fast as possible and was ready to leave with said tuner under my arm when the guy said ,dont you want the box and mains lead?The tuner lasted about six years before it failed,so quite a bargain in my book.I often return to this shop in case he has any old tannoys to get rid of.
Dave.:)

spendorman
15-10-2010, 18:00
Not really qualifying, but interesting, a friend got a perfect pair of 15 Ohm Rogers LS3/5a at a car boot sale for 99p. I've seen (and heard them), their fine.

spendorman
15-10-2010, 18:09

I think I can even beat the above.

How about:

Thorens TD124 II/ Ortofon RS212, Ortofon SL15E, Rogers Master pre amp, Rogers Master power amp, Ravensbourne FET tuner, all mounted in custom made (by Jim Rogers) cabinet and two 15 Ohm 12" Tannoy Silver DC's in genuine Tannoy corner enclosures. All in as new condition and absolutely free, albeit about 30 years ago.

Ali Tait
15-10-2010, 18:14
Ok,you win!

Ali Tait
15-10-2010, 18:15
Actually Ali you just reminded me that i was given a very nice pioneer receiver that again works perfectly :) Very nice it is to, but not top of the range at the time. Still you can't argue with 120W RMS 8 ohm per channel :eyebrows: Pioneer SX-1080 (http://techtalk.parts-express.com/showpost.php?p=1579721&postcount=15) Again it's not perfect in the cosmetic department, but vastly better than the Akai cassette deck was. I might see about restoring the woodwork as it only needs a bit of work to get it back to as it should be :)

Very nice to, i guess they decided minidisc was better :lolsign:

Funny you should say,I bought an SX-650 a while ago,and very nice it is too!

spendorman
15-10-2010, 18:17
Ok,you win!

Well it was all my uncle's, a good friend of Jim Rogers. When uncle died mum inherited the equipment and gave it to me, so not sure if that qualifies!

Ali Tait
15-10-2010, 18:19
I guess that can't really be beaten Ali :lol:
They were his brother's,who had gone to live and work in Venezuela,and had been stored in my workmate's garage for about 20 years.I did tell him they were worth a few quid (it was about 20 years ago,so not worth as much as they are now) but he was happy just to get rid. Needless to say I was happy to oblige!

Reid Malenfant
15-10-2010, 18:21
Well it was all my uncle's, a good friend of Jim Rogers. When uncle died mum inherited the equipment and gave it to me, so not sure if that qualifies!
I guess it does :eyebrows: Which means i also inherited a load of nice kit from my father ;)

I must say though that that was one heck of a lot of very tasty gear 2845

Ali Tait
15-10-2010, 18:30
Have you seen that pair of silvers on ebay? About 6.5k I think!

spendorman
15-10-2010, 18:32
I guess it does :eyebrows: Which means i also inherited a load of nice kit from my father ;)

I must say though that that was one heck of a lot of very tasty gear 2845

Agreed, Chosen, supplied and set up by the late great Jim, was one of the best probably the best system that I have heard. I still have it, minus the 12" Silver DC Tannoy drive units. I stupidly sold them many years ago. Luckily, with the money I bought a Radford STA25 II /SC22/ FMT2, which I still have.

Would be nice to know what your father's Hi Fi was.

Reid Malenfant
15-10-2010, 18:32
Have you seen that pair of silvers on ebay? About 6.5k I think!
Yes & i can't help but laugh, i mean come on ffs :ner:

Dave Hewitt
15-10-2010, 18:35
Hi'
This happened to my mate,he went in his local emporium of shite as he called it and was confronted by two pairs of 15 inch monitor golds fastened to two internal doors in infinate baffle mode.He asked how much for the four and the clever guy said ,these would cost 70 quid at tandy so thats my price.Never have two doors been removed as fast.
I picked up two sansui tuners at the local car boot,tu555,tu 710 3 quid the pair.
Dave.

spendorman
15-10-2010, 18:39
Hi'
This happened to my mate,he went in his local emporium of shite as he called it and was confronted by two pairs of 15 inch monitor golds fastened to two internal doors in infinate baffle mode.He asked how much for the four and the clever guy said ,these would cost 70 quid at tandy so thats my price.Never have two doors been removed as fast.
I picked up two sansui tuners at the local car boot,tu555,tu 710 3 quid the pair.
Dave.

"£70 at Tandy" that dates it a bit. Still, I would have bought them at that price then!

spendorman
15-10-2010, 18:47
2x Quad II power amps, Quad 22, Quad FM1, Quad Multiplex decoder, all in very good condition and working, proper GEC KT66s, Mullard GZ 32's etc, all for £10. Was probably 30 or so years ago, but still cheap then. They are still here and working fine.

Bought from someone upgrading? to Quad 33/303/FM3

Ali Tait
15-10-2010, 18:52
With all the original valves I bet.

spendorman
15-10-2010, 19:00
With all the original valves I bet.

Yes, and some spares inc GEC KT66

spendorman
15-10-2010, 19:07
About 2 years ago, off ebay A&R A60 for £13.50. working perfectly. Cabinet sides were broken off from the top. Just needed gluing back on. Turned out fine.

Ali Tait
15-10-2010, 19:16
Yes, and some spares inc GEC KT66
No,I meant I bet it was still working fine 30 years later with the same valves!

spendorman
15-10-2010, 20:17
No,I meant I bet it was still working fine 30 years later with the same valves!

Oh yes, same valves in now.

Jonboy
15-10-2010, 23:00
I got a Mullard 10-10 power amp plus matching pre amp and a box of valves last year for a swap with a valve radio chassis my mate gave to me, i also picked up a pair of 12ax7 and a pair of ecl 86 miniwatt ( Mullard) valves for 1 euro in a French flea market last year, they all test ok as well

goraman
16-10-2010, 02:34
BEST SCORE IN HISTORY

About a year ago a young kid working for a demolition company logged on to find out what a couple of mono block amps and a preamp was worth on a site I will refure to only as AK.He really didn't know anything about them.Being heavy and useing tubes he took them home after asking his boss.Seems when the old previous owner passed on they where put in a closet in heavy boxes filled with news paper and forgotten.

Get this The mono blocks where mint condition Mrantz 9's with matching SN's!!!
And the Marantz preamp!!!!
The Holy Grail of vinage audio (FOUND IN A CONDEMED BUILDING)
He did go back and did a more detailed search of the house before they leveled it to the ground but nothing more was found.

No one belived him at first till he started posting pictures,then told his story in more detail and later it was confermed by other members in his area.

Man,now thats frickin luck,this kid knew nothing about audio till the day he became a member of AK to ask how to hook it all up and would they be safe to plug in?
For those who don't know,the mono's alone would sell for around $20,000 usd here in the states.
This young kid should avoid lightning storms and play the lotto.

My personal best was a pair of Mission 762i monitors for $8.00 US. With stands.

My deam would be to find a pair of hemp coned Audio Note E's with stands at a yard sale or goodwill store for $8.00 to $10.00!
Or an Ongawku amp in a hospice thrift for $20.00.

Jason P
16-10-2010, 09:39
Well I hate to sound like a new convert, but my bargain (in terms of sound improvement for cost) has been the Belkin mains thingy I wrote about in the 'Artists Palette' thread.

Other than that, no bargains or car boot finds to speak of. Must try harder.

Jason

Rare Bird
16-10-2010, 09:57
Audiomaster LS3/5a, perfect mint condition £21.00

StanleyB
16-10-2010, 10:32
My best find must have been an Alphason turntable with HS-100 arm. I still got the arm, but the TT was left behind. I couldn't lift it into the booth of my car:(.

spendorman
16-10-2010, 10:35
Pair of perfect 15 Ohm Chartwell LS3/5a's for £90, that was about 1987, and I suspect about the going rate then. Just looked on ebay today, silly prices now.

Lodgesound
18-10-2010, 18:40
My best find - a Nagra T audio with all options, monitor bridge and stand for £50.00 with a whole 50 hours use on it.....

Barry
18-10-2010, 18:45
My best find - a Nagra T audio with all options, monitor bridge and stand for £50.00 with a whole 50 hours use on it.....

Show off! :eyebrows:

Regards

Lodgesound
18-10-2010, 19:03
LOL!!!

Sorry Barry - that was back in 1997 before prices just started getting stupid for these things......

I agree some of this stuff is collectable but honestly some of the prices folk are asking now are just based on greed...

Barry
18-10-2010, 19:12
LOL!!!

Sorry Barry - that was back in 1997 before prices just started getting stupid for these things......

I agree some of this stuff is collectable but honestly some of the prices folk are asking now are just based on greed...

Agreed!

I was being sarcastic and envious in equal measure ;). I paid ten times that amount in 2008 for a Nagra IV-S! Nowadays, these Nagra's go for anywhere between £1,000 and £1,500.

Having said that, I don't feel I've been in any way 'ripped-off' over my Nagra: it has been a long-term ambition of mine to own one, and now that I do, its performance is everything I hoped for/expected. It replaces another 'collectable' item: a two-track Series 6 Ferrograph.

Regards

Lodgesound
18-10-2010, 19:18
They are indeed beautiful machines - I aspired to owning one when I was 6 and finally got one when i was 30 - love the build quality and the performance is to die for.....

I just found a Ferrograph 631 2 weeks ago in A SKIP!!!!

Seriously - I'm not bullshitting here.....and it actually worked as well!!

I think I was just overly lucky...

Barry
18-10-2010, 19:27
They are indeed beautiful machines - I aspired to owning one when I was 6 and finally got one when i was 30 - love the build quality and the performance is to die for.....

I just found a Ferrograph 631 2 weeks ago in A SKIP!!!!

Seriously - I'm not bullshitting here.....and it actually worked as well!!

I think I was just overly lucky...

Stop it, stop it, stop it! :wah: :wah: :wah: (actually, I was looking for a 'not listening', fingers-in-ear smiley)

Oh why do people do this? - if only they knew that there a load of us collectors, who would be quite happy to pay a few bob for these unwanted items. :(

Glad you saved the 631 from an ignominious fate. Well done! :)

Regards

Dave Hewitt
18-10-2010, 19:54
Hi
Slightly off topic but,this may be a best bargain for someone.I have a ferrograph valve reel to reel sitting in my garage,series six I think it is,free to anyone who wants to collect from Leigh Lancs
Cheers Dave.

michaelhigh
18-10-2010, 22:49
Dual 1225 before cart=$12. Cart=$30=$42 total, give/take tax.:lol:

Barry
18-10-2010, 23:19
Hi
Slightly off topic but,this may be a best bargain for someone.I have a ferrograph valve reel to reel sitting in my garage,series six I think it is,free to anyone who wants to collect from Leigh Lancs
Cheers Dave.

Well done Dave - that's the style!

Regards

Rare Bird
18-10-2010, 23:25
Hi
Cheers Dave.

I don't want it but is it '621' or '622'/'624' ? i was thinking of the later two as someone on here asked me about a ferrograph but the 'S6' maybe a bit too old!

Barry
18-10-2010, 23:35
I don't want it but is it '621' or '622'/'624' ? I was thinking of the later two as someone on here asked me about a Ferrograph but the 'S6' maybe a bit too old!

I think you mean the 631 (a 'calibrated' mono machine), the 632 (a two-track stereo machine) and 634 (a four-track stereo machine). The Series 6 Ferrographs are the last to be "Built like a Battleship", and were the last to use valves. Valve aficionados might be interested to know the Series 6 machines used all-triode electronics.

So yes André, knowing of your admiration for the Series 7 machines and of the 307 amplifiers, maybe they are a little too old for you! :eyebrows:

Regards

Rare Bird
19-10-2010, 01:05
I think you mean the 631 (a 'calibrated' mono machine), the 632 (a two-track stereo machine) and 634 (a four-track stereo machine). The Series 6 Ferrographs are the last to be "Built like a Battleship", and were the last to use valves. Valve aficionados might be interested to know the Series 6 machines used all-triode electronics.

So yes André, knowing of your admiration for the Series 7 machines and of the 307 amplifiers, maybe they are a little too old for you! :eyebrows:

Regards

O no thats the second boob i made this week :o

Techno Commander
19-10-2010, 08:11
Although it was quite a few years ago, I only paid a ton for my Tannoy Cheviots.

Dave Hewitt
19-10-2010, 09:56
Hi,just looked at this machine,its a series 5 complete with a reel of tape.
Dave.

Scorchin34
19-10-2010, 11:02
My Marantz Model 1250, pulled from the garbage :eyebrows: everything checked out in spec, no leaky anything, just needed to be cleaned and dried out. Reset the bias to dial in the balance perfect as it was down on the left channel. My only complaint is the old smell when it's at operating temp. Can get a tad stinky.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v65/scorchin36/Stuff/DSCN2102.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v65/scorchin36/Stuff/DSCN2101.jpg
Peace,
Preston

Beobloke
19-10-2010, 12:00
My bargain finding exploits are fairly well known, but to re-cap the highlights:

Boxed B&O Beogram 4000 - £4 (car boot sale)
B&O Beomaster 5000 and Beocord 5000 - £12 (car boot sale)
Nakamichi 482 - £5 (car boot sale)
Yamaha TC-D800GL - £2 (dump)
Thorens TD160 - £1 (car boot sale)
Acoustic Energy AE120 speakers - £20 (car boot sale)
Monitor Audio Silver 5i speakers - £15 (car boot sale)
Original 1960's Goodmans Maxims - £1 (car boot sale)
A second pair of the above - £3 (dump)
Rega Planar 3/RB300/Coral 777MC - £5 (dump)
Quad 33/303/FM2 - £5 (dump)
Garrard 301 - £35 (local Freeads paper)
Garrard Lab A and Leak Troughline Stereo - £20 (badly described/pictured on eBay)
God knows how many pairs of 80's Goodmans Maxims - £2-£4 per pair

I could go on, but you get the drift. Then, last year there was:

Walnut cabinet containing Garrard 301, Decca FFSS, Quad 22, Quad AM2 and Quad IIs - given to me on condition that I give it a good home and look after it. Naturally, I will!

spendorman
19-10-2010, 12:11
My Marantz Model 1250, pulled from the garbage :eyebrows: everything checked out in spec, no leaky anything, just needed to be cleaned and dried out. Reset the bias to dial in the balance perfect as it was down on the left channel. My only complaint is the old smell when it's at operating temp. Can get a tad stinky.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v65/scorchin36/Stuff/DSCN2102.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v65/scorchin36/Stuff/DSCN2101.jpg
Peace,
Preston

Brilliant find, nice looking, so is that cat!

Techno Commander
19-10-2010, 12:18
My bargain finding exploits are fairly well known, but to re-cap the highlights:

Garrard Lab A and Leak Troughline Stereo - £20 (badly described/pictured on eBay)

Walnut cabinet containing Garrard 301, Decca FFSS, Quad 22, Quad AM2 and Quad IIs - given to me on condition that I give it a good home and look after it. Naturally, I will!

Where is this mythical car boot sale?? :)

Techno Commander
19-10-2010, 12:19
Brilliant find, nice looking, so is that cat!

Cats always know the best places for a kip.

Barry
19-10-2010, 12:22

:eek: Words fail me Adam. Well done!

Regards

Beobloke
19-10-2010, 13:33
Where is this mythical car boot sale?? :)

Not telling you!

Seriously, though, it's actually been a while since I had anything good from that car boot sale (which is in Southampton - just off the M27 Junction 8). I have a feeling that I've bought all the decent stuff in the south Hampshire area.

I may need to switch location - a friend of mine has been doing very well from the one on the A3 near Guildford recently.... :eyebrows:

spendorman
19-10-2010, 13:41
Not telling you!

Seriously, though, it's actually been a while since I had anything good from that car boot sale (which is in Southampton - just off the M27 Junction 8). I have a feeling that I've bought all the decent stuff in the south Hampshire area.

I may need to switch location - a friend of mine has been doing very well from the one on the A3 near Guildford recently.... :eyebrows:

As you are Boebloke, you have no right to pick up all those lovely bargains, you should give everything that is not B&O to me.

Oh, blimey, I can't take it as I'm Spendorman.

Alex_UK
19-10-2010, 17:09
My bargain finding exploits are fairly well known

Legendary would be a better word! Some people are just lucky, I guess. Me, if I fell into a swimming pool full of nipples I'd come out sucking my thumb... ;)

Mind you, inheriting my Garrad 401/SME 3009 was a decent "bargain" - would have preferred no to have inherited it, though...

shane
19-10-2010, 17:18
Two ebay triumphs. First was a Garrard 301 advertised at £99 buy-it-now two minutes before I logged on. I subsequently got £600 for it. Second was what was described as "record player with speakers" with no photo which I bought on a hunch for £20. Turned out to be a Thorens 125/SME 3009 s1 in plinth with Radford transistor pre-amp/power amp combo and Revox tuner. No speakers though, strangely.

Reid Malenfant
19-10-2010, 17:21
Second was what was described as "record player with speakers" with no photo which I bought on a hunch for £20. Turned out to be a Thorens 125/SME 3009 s1 in plinth with Radford transistor pre-amp/power amp combo and Revox tuner. No speakers though, strangely.
Jeez, that was some lucky hunch :eek:

It could have been one of those old mono TTs with built in speaker that looked like a small suitcase :lol:

pure sound
19-10-2010, 17:25
2 X WE300A valves (original). Paid £10 for them. Used them for 10 years. Broke one. Put the other on ebay and sold it for £750 with which I bought a pair of Vitavox S2 Mid drivers.

Someone even contacted me asking to buy the broken one but I'd already binned it in disgust at myself!

Barry
19-10-2010, 17:27
Legendary would be a better word! Some people are just lucky, I guess. Me, if I fell into a swimming pool full of nipples I'd come out sucking my thumb... ;)
Mind you, inheriting my Garrad 401/SME 3009 was a decent "bargain" - would have preferred no to have inherited it, though...

:lol:

Regards

shane
19-10-2010, 19:03
One other lucky one. When I was a young and naive hifi salesman, a guy came into the shop with a pair of Stax SR3s with SRD5 energizer, which he said were too bulky and uncomfortable, could he trade them for a pair of trendy Yamaha HP2s (then about 1/4 the price of the Stax combo)? Naturally, I bit his thumb off to do the deal, and equally naturally, the Stax turned out not to work. Cue one rather pissed-off boss, one thick ear and one pair of Stax phones in the bin.
I then rescued them, took them home, replaced the blown zener diode in the energizer (about 10P), and have been happily using them for the last 33 years!

Oh yes, then there was the phone call from a mate in a competitor shop asking if a wanted a laugh. Went to his shop to find a Revox A77 which had literally fallen off the back of a delivery lorry, smashing the wooden case and part of the alloy chassis. He was a bit pissed off as the insurance company only offered him £50 (RRP at the time was about £250). I gave him £60 and took it home. My old man made a lovely job of mending and veneering the cabinet (much nicer than the original wood-effect vinyl), and the broken chassis member turned out to be easily replaced for abut £5. Did me good service for the best part of 20 years, and I still wish I hadn't then sold it. Got £200 for it, though.

michaelhigh
23-10-2010, 01:20
Hanging out (working) in a vintage guitar store for all sorts of music gear; most notably 2 Bag End II's with 4 JBL E-140's. Those took, part time, a couple weeks max. I also got a tube Ampeg SVT (gold to bassists) and an Ampeg B-15 from the 70's that was really clean.

Scorchin34
25-10-2010, 21:44

Ok ........ um WOW!!!
Peace,
Preston

DSJR
26-10-2010, 08:53
My Quad II's are like that, as i regard myself as the custodian of them. They're currently in use most days too :)

Haselsh1
26-10-2010, 11:34
Newton Faulkner's first album 'Hand Built by Robots' on CD for £2.99 from Amazon.

I don't consider Hi-Fi to be a bargain as when the chips are truly down Hi-Fi is totally unnecessary and therefore, never a bargain.

Mark Grant
26-10-2010, 18:30
My bargain that I will always remember and still have are some Aaron power amplifiers.
http://aaron.hifi.net/

I visited a forum members home (not from this forum) a few years ago to do some installation work for him

Suprised to see that the forum member was disabled and in a wheel chair after an accident. He was paralysed, he only had the use of his arms, nothing further down.

Made me a bit sad really as he is such a nice character but trapped in a wheelchair. Full of life though which was great.:)

He had a very nice sounding AV system.
Power amps where a pair of Aaron no 3 millenium
http://aaron.hifi.net/intl/no3.html

and an aaron no 33 cineast
http://aaron.hifi.net/intl/no33.html

To make a total of 7 channels of amplification.

I had to revisit for some more work a while later and found out that the power amps where to be sold. :)

Crazy low price offered to me ( I did not need to haggle) and I went home happy.

I did not need 7 channels of amplification so I sold one of the two channnel amps a while later on ebay to someone in Gaza for a great price :)

I still have two of the Aaron amplifiers that cost me almost nothing really after selling one of them and I remember the original owner sometimes while listening to them, makes me appreciate life.

(I have just checked and the person I bought them off is still active online and OK :) )

Mark.

sparky68
27-10-2010, 13:03
best bargain was ALL my hifi gear was given to me by a dear friend who bought it all back in the day all new, paid obscene amounts for it.

Musical Fidelity preamp 8
Musical Fidelity MA65 mono's
Arcam alpha 8 cdp

he worked abroad so never used it just sat in a rack, wife never used it (didnt dare to ha)

moved house downsizing and all his gear had to go ( to me :) )
but now they are getting a good workout for sure, on everyday religously ;)

Mark

Quince
01-11-2010, 22:08
My biggest bargain was a Cambridge Audio tuner which was given to me free of charge (many thanks - you know who you are!)... though currently using an internal aerial I still have to find the money for that an external one.

Neil McCauley
12-03-2011, 03:47
STAX 12-S preamp. Still in use today. Got it free.

SAE P-102 preamp from USA. About £90

Spendor BC3s. About £90

tannoy man
12-03-2011, 20:54
Two Leak st 20,s + pre amps £60

Thorens TD 124 mk2 + Plinth + Arm £60

Two Quad valve amps + Pre + Tuner £50

Pair Tannoy Ardens £100

Thorens TD160 + SME, Quad 33, 303, Tannoy Devons £120

Tannoy 15" Monitor Golds in Lancaster cabs £200

Radford STA 25 + Pre and Lowther Accoustas { one cab empty } £120

All this was found in the Free Ads and local newspapers before I had a PC.
It took me fifteen years of looking to finally find the Radford and its by quite a margin, THE BEST amp Ive ever owned.
There are still bargains out there, this week I got my mate a mint Dunlop Systemdek with Linn Basik LV V and Audio Technica cart for £138 on Ebay.

spendorman
12-03-2011, 21:00

Pair Tannoy Ardens £100

It took me fifteen years of looking to finally find the Radford and its by quite a margin, THE BEST amp Ive ever owned.
There are still bargains out there, this week I got my mate a mint Dunlop Systemdek with Linn Basik LV V and Audio Technica cart for £138 on Ebay.

The only amp that I own that has bettered my STA25 III is a Williamson, unfortunately, only Mono though.

My TD124 II / Ortofon RS212 was free, inherited it.

But I did buy Quad II's, 22, FM1 and decoder for £10, but that was in the mid 70's

tannoy man
12-03-2011, 21:20
Big head :ner:

spendorman
12-03-2011, 21:28
Big head :ner:

I inherited the Williamson too!

The STA25 III, SC22 and FMT2 cost me £150, second hand in the early 70's. Sounds cheap, but what is the present day value of that £150!

tannoy man
12-03-2011, 21:37
Good point, but we people have been buying and selling HI FI for years almost allways selling for a good profit, so our systems are FREE.;)

spendorman
12-03-2011, 21:46
Good point, but we people have been buying and selling HI FI for years almost allways selling for a good profit, so our systems are FREE.;)

Unfortunately, I hardly ever sell stuff, still have nearly all I bought in the last 40 years!

Just a few exceptions, one regret was selling my immaculate Tannoy 12" Silver Dual Concentrics (15 Ohm), better that the later 8 Ohm Golds, and better than the even earlier Silvers that I also had.

tannoy man
12-03-2011, 22:22
I turned down a 12" silver and a 12" red for £200 about 10 years ago and I`m still kicking myself now.:steam:

Alex_UK
12-03-2011, 23:06

Pair Tannoy Ardens £100

Was just reading this, without really being aware which thread it was in and suddenly thought I was in the Private Exhibitions thread - I nearly messed myself! :lol:

You jammy beggar!

slate
12-03-2011, 23:21
Recently got a Luxman L-210 from a friend; he liberated it from the city recycling facility. It needed cleaning of all switches and dials and have now replaced the Technic in my homeoffice setup. Only defect is that the "on" lamp is gone... original a 24 volt lamp but I guess that was when the mains were 220 volt; now it measures 27.

BTW the recycling facility have not understood the concept of recycling. If caught when you try to recycle something from there; you will be shown the door and banned in case of repeat offenses.

spendorman
13-03-2011, 07:18
Recently got a Luxman L-210 from a friend; he liberated it from the city recycling facility. It needed cleaning of all switches and dials and have now replaced the Technic in my homeoffice setup. Only defect is that the "on" lamp is gone... original a 24 volt lamp but I guess that was when the mains were 220 volt; now it measures 27.

BTW the recycling facility have not understood the concept of recycling. If caught when you try to recycle something from there; you will be shown the door and banned in case of repeat offenses.

I got a L-200 cheaply on ebay, think it was about £20, the horrible speaker connections were broken, fitted some cheap binding posts. It's a nice sounding amp.

http://www.hilberink.nl/codehans/luxman9.htm

Scorchin34
13-03-2011, 13:47
My newest, this I received free, a fellow audio junky picked it up at a yard sale for $5. It was in bad shape, new power tranny, tubes, cleaning and thorough going over and it's back to singing beautifully. This is the quietest amp I have, near absolute blackness in the background, amazing, great phono section and nice mids and highs, a tad flabby on the bass but a little tweak on the tone controls take care of that, smooth smooth smooth! It's now my primary and I'm loving it, this was a little over 2 years to get it going! Got offered $500 so far but I declined, the novelty hasn't worn off yet ;)

It's a giggle to see customers come in to buy gear and they always gravitate right to this sweet little amp and marvel at it's sonic quality, had to make a few coffees and have a few sit downs with these people. Come for 10 mins to buy something and stay for an hour! I love home audio! :)

The Fisher X-100, the first model of the legendary 100 line.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v65/scorchin36/Stuff/DSCN2228.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v65/scorchin36/Stuff/DSCN2226.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v65/scorchin36/Stuff/DSCN2229.jpg

Peace,
Preston

Zoidburg
14-03-2011, 07:28
I was at the local rubbish tip one morning last year dropping off a few bits of junk after clearing out the garage when watched opened-mouthed as a woman put a quad 34, 306 and fm4 tuner onto the electrical items table and walked off.

I picked them straight up and put them in the boot of the car.

After checking them out at home everything worked perfectly and they were in really very nice condition overal. I kept them for a couple of months and then sold them on making about £400 profit which partly financed a new record deck.

That was a good day I can tell you!

ikaruga
14-03-2011, 12:09
I've managed to get a pair of Kef Celestion III speakers and an Arcam CD player (can't remember the model) off Freecycle over the past couple of years, not to mention a Yamaha KX393 tape deck.

All bar the tape deck have since been sold on. Celestions were too big and didn't sound that great on a lot of music but sounded fantastic on some. Arcam CD player was surplus to requirements but I got a few months pleasurable listening out of it.

Barry
14-03-2011, 18:31
Though some are no longer with me, the following were all in some way or another bargains:

Quad ESL 57 speakers, £120 a pair

Quad II valve monobocks, £40 a pair

SME 3009/II, £25

Thorens TD124/II, £38 with only 2 hours use

Revox G36 (736) reel-to-reel tape recorder, £25

Nagra IV-S reel-to-reel recorder, £500 with new heads

Denon DL103C cartridge, £50 with less than 10 hours use.

Marco
14-03-2011, 18:37
My newest, this I received free, a fellow audio junky picked it up at a yard sale for $5. It was in bad shape, new power tranny, tubes, cleaning and thorough going over and it's back to singing beautifully. This is the quietest amp I have, near absolute blackness in the background, amazing, great phono section and nice mids and highs, a tad flabby on the bass but a little tweak on the tone controls take care of that, smooth smooth smooth! It's now my primary and I'm loving it, this was a little over 2 years to get it going! Got offered $500 so far but I declined, the novelty hasn't worn off yet ;)

It's a giggle to see customers come in to buy gear and they always gravitate right to this sweet little amp and marvel at it's sonic quality, had to make a few coffees and have a few sit downs with these people. Come for 10 mins to buy something and stay for an hour! I love home audio! :)

The Fisher X-100, the first model of the legendary 100 line.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v65/scorchin36/Stuff/DSCN2228.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v65/scorchin36/Stuff/DSCN2226.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v65/scorchin36/Stuff/DSCN2229.jpg

Peace,
Preston

Brilliant stuff, Preston - me like, and what a bargain! :)

I don't think you should ever sell it, as you'd likely have to pay lots of money to significantly better the Fisher.

Marco.

slate
14-03-2011, 22:36
I got a L-200 cheaply on ebay, think it was about £20, the horrible speaker connections were broken, fitted some cheap binding posts. It's a nice sounding amp.

http://www.hilberink.nl/codehans/luxman9.htm

horrible doesn't cover it... I have not done any work on the connections yet as I mainly use it for my SuperLux 668B

Batty
15-03-2011, 22:21
I was given a 1967 Revox A77.
Best buy was Townsend Rock II, RB250 and Denon DL110 for 299 quid, but that was 1986.

chelsea
17-03-2011, 19:35
Lancaster corner units with 12" tannoy golds.
£90

WAD62
18-03-2011, 13:20
SqueezeCommander for my android phone £2.50!!!

The equivalent SB controller is £160, and not as good IMHO ;)

CentraL
18-03-2011, 13:38
Recent one: Sony MDR-EX500 in ear monitors (ebay - uk seller 25 quid).

Condition mint and sound Great!

I own much more expensive in ears as I commute daily and need smth decent. These sound as Audio Technica CK10s (I own these) on steroids!!! These Iems sound non-iem like! free of boxiness, great all over the spectrum, analytical and sweet, great bass!!!

doodoos
18-03-2011, 16:43
best buy - the darTZeel 108 about 3 years back. Cost around 11K then and is about 20K+ now. Now that's what I call inflation!

Welder
18-03-2011, 17:46
You’re talking about this right

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/dartzeel/108.html

Yep, no doubt you got a bargain there………..:rolleyes:

Scorchin34
20-03-2011, 21:34
Opus 3 Continuo with Alphason Opal arm I just traded for a Bryston 2B that I got for free as a thank you for doing a favor. Checked with the guy who hooked me up with it and said go for it, awesome trade, he then loaned me one of his spare Sumiko Blue Point cartridges to hold me over until I pick up a nice one for the Opus, it'll take awhile, got to find the right one for the table.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v65/scorchin36/Stuff/DSCN2264.jpg
Peace,
Preston

pwood
20-03-2011, 23:56
No one can beat this bargain. Shut your eyes and sit in the sweet spot:cool:

Next would be my Sterling Black Mamba speaker cables.