PDA

View Full Version : Sade

ClasseAudio
15-10-2010, 00:53
I was off from work today so I decided to see what I could find around town that was out of the ordinary. Well, I ran across a Sade cd I have never seen. I have the original Sade cd and listen to it about 1-2 times a week. Found a Japanese release and it reminds me of a MFSL release. More clarity,better bass extension, and I could go on and on. I bought a bunch of others but they are all run of the mill discs. Here is the disc I am talking about though.

Sade - The Best Of Sade (1994) 2009 Japan EICP 1128/9 Special Edition

Alex_UK
15-10-2010, 06:53
Good find, Mac - great band - I've all their studio albums - which is hardly difficult, given that they have only done 6 in 26 years (with gaps of 10 years between the last 2 and 8 years to the one before that.) All on CD, plus a crackly well worn vinyl copy of the Diamond Life debut.

Looks like the "Best of" you've acquired covers the first 4 albums, and one track I haven't got from the Philadelphia soundtrack.

It would be worth tracking down the others if you like the first that much that you play it 1 - 2 times per week! You can pick most of them up for next to nothing on Amazon Marketplace (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=sade&x=0&y=0) and probably ebay too.

You've also made me realise I never bought the live CD (Lovers Live from 2000) so I'd better go search that out! Thanks!

Here's the full discography for info for you and anyone else interested, to save looking it up:

Studio Albums
1984: Diamond Life
1985: Promise
1988: Stronger Than Pride
1992: Love Deluxe
2000: Lovers Rock
2010: Soldier of Love

Other Albums
1992: Remix Deluxe
1994: The Best of Sade
2002: Lovers Live

DSJR
15-10-2010, 08:00
Love Deluxe and the Greatest Hits albums sounded superb, as they'd mixed them for CD and there was plenty of bass weight.

Sometimes, and unbeknown to consumers, these discs can be "beauty shopped" and sometimes re-mastered completely as better technology comes along. maybe better CD production can reduce errors etc and make the discs easier to read (I'm fumbling here). More likely, the Best Of compilation has been dusted off and spring cleaned ;)

Rare Bird
16-10-2010, 08:09
I was off from work today so I decided to see what I could find around town that was out of the ordinary. Well, I ran across a Sade cd I have never seen. I have the original Sade cd and listen to it about 1-2 times a week. Found a Japanese release and it reminds me of a MFSL release. More clarity,better bass extension, and I could go on and on. I bought a bunch of others but they are all run of the mill discs. Here is the disc I am talking about though.

Sade - The Best Of Sade (1994) 2009 Japan EICP 1128/9 Special Edition

I worked in a record shop when Sade (Helen Folasade Adu) first came out with 'Diamond Life' be about 1984ish..We sold quite a lot of that album.

ClasseAudio
16-10-2010, 23:12
I listen to The Best of Sade 1-2 times a week. I put it on in the morning when getting ready for work. Now that I have the Japan version I shall play that one. I made a copy so I don't kill the original. I think in the last 3-4 months I have bought or aquired through work almost 300 new to me cds. Picked up a few MFSL discs for $6.00 each at my local music store. It's near a University and when college kids need money they will sell anything for a $1.00,lol. In the next couple of weeks after this guy finishes ripping all his cds to a drive he is coming in to my work to sell them to us. Needless to say those 4-500 cds will never make it to the shelves (I am a pawnbroker).:)

Macca
17-10-2010, 08:47
Loved Sade since Smooth Operator came out - how long ago now?

It's the way she pronounces 'chance' gets me every time:)

Lovers Live is worth having but if you don't appreciate noisy audiences it may not go down so well. Not heard the new one - probably a stupid question but is it any good?

Alex_UK
17-10-2010, 10:23
Lovers Live is worth having but if you don't appreciate noisy audiences it may not go down so well.

I guess you read my post from last night in the Spinning Today thread! :lol: Noisy I can live with, its when people clap along to the beat drowning out the act there supposed to be listening too that it ruins it for me... Sorry to any happy clappers out there, but stop it! ;) I'll take a chance on it, I think

Not heard the new one - probably a stupid question but is it any good?

Yes, it is - though not being so familiar with it I can't say it is better than the early stuff. If you've got access to Spotify, here's the link:

http://open.spotify.com/album/3QzXOFN7Wh4WgilnraBYAU

And Lovers Live:

http://open.spotify.com/album/6DTMoVIMoY5Yr5Y89xetvE

(But don't you dare clap!)

Macca
17-10-2010, 10:36
I guess you read my post from last night in the Spinning Today thread! :lol: Noisy I can live with, its when people clap along to the beat drowning out the act there supposed to be listening too that it ruins it for me... Sorry to any happy clappers out there, but stop it! ;) I'll take a chance on it, I think

Yes, it is - though not being so familiar with it I can't say it is better than the early stuff. If you've got access to Spotify, here's the link:

http://open.spotify.com/album/3QzXOFN7Wh4WgilnraBYAU

And Lovers Live:

http://open.spotify.com/album/6DTMoVIMoY5Yr5Y89xetvE

(But don't you dare clap!)

Cheers Alex - it's now on my to get list - just ordered some of the stuff from the 'records that make you go wow' thread. AOS should get a commision from Amazon I reckon:lol:

Jac Hawk
13-11-2010, 02:49
i'm gonna sound like an old git here, but Sade is just the dogs danglies, great on CD, fantastic on vinyl and unbelivable live, she has her own sound, you know as soon as she opens her mouth who is singing, unlike may of todays so called stars, who i find hard to distinguish between, they come and go with little more than 1 album to their name, Sade however seems to go on forever a real class act.

keiths
14-11-2010, 18:24
I remember going on holiday to Mallorca with a bunch of mates in autumn 1984 and "Smooth Operator" was being played in all the bars. I went out and bought the album as soon as I got back home.

On the same shopping trip, I bought my first ever pair of speaker stands (Target something or others from Cleartone in Manchester) - mustn't have spent as much on holiday as I expected to :eyebrows:

Funny how you remember these things...