PDA

View Full Version : Name and Location... and Saying Hello

Beechwoods
14-10-2010, 12:00
As you all know we like to encourage all members to say Hello in the Welcome forum, and for everyone to complete the basic Location part of their profile, and add their first name to their Signature...

Location is useful to other members when it comes to suggesting useful local suppliers, or internationally specific issues such as local mains voltages, and the like. It's also useful to know if you are offering something for sale or wanted.

As far as Name is concerned, it's all about The Art Of Sound being a real community of people rather than an anonymous group of individuals hiding behind wacky usernames!

New members have been PM'd automatically with a request to do this for some time, but its still proving necessary to remind first time posters that they need to fill this info in and say hello. Most members are more than happy to do this; your thread in the Welcome forum is your way to introduce yourself and let everyone know what you're interested in. It's all about being part of something, setting out your stall as it were!

We do want to be able to move away from the need to remind new members to do this stuff though. And we've had feedback from members that the number of prompts is getting a bit boring!

It seems that most of you are happy sharing this information. I know in this day and age people can be cagey about what information they share online, but I think it's fair to say that first name and basic location are pretty vague and of limited value outside of helping others here to refer to you by name, and tell whereabouts you're from.

To this end we've made, or will soon be making, some changes that I want you to know about.

We've amended the new registration Welcome email to ask that users say hello in the Welcome forum, and fill in the other stuff...
Location is now a required field for all new members, and existing members will be prompted for a Location when you next update your Profile, if it's not already completed.
First Name is going to be added to the fields available for completion in your Profile. I'm going to make a change so that it is listed under Location in the Posts view... this will free members from having to have it in their Signature.

First Name will need to be completed by all new members. It is our plan to make it required of existing members at some point. Most likely this will be at the time you next update your profile.

Down the line, we hope that this will enhance the sense of community here, it's all about real people. I'd be interested in any feedback anyone has on this...

The Vinyl Adventure
14-10-2010, 15:48
Having now had conciserable experience of the back end of vb, a functioning "real name" forum and having spent a measurable percentage of my life reading this this forum, the measures you intend to take appear to me to be entirely logical, sensible, and definatly worth doing .... I'm supprised it's taken you so long ;)

Beechwoods
14-10-2010, 16:00
Evolution not revolution, Hamish :)

Marco
14-10-2010, 16:18
Lol - indeed. I don't foresee reasonable/genuine members having any objection to the new system in place.

What everyone should remember is that AoS is first and foremost a community of like-minded audio and music enthusiasts, way before it is simply an Internet bulletin board.

And it is this sense of genuinely being part of a community of real people that separates us from most other similar sites. It is why we have grown and will continue to grow and be successful, and as such these values will remain at the very core of our ethos :)

Marco.

Alex_UK
14-10-2010, 19:30
As I've said before, no one is asking for references or a copy of your birth certificate, so there is no reason why anyone should have a problem with this, because the location can be vague (a City or County) and if I was really worried about my identity being stolen ('cos there's only about 8,000 Alexi in Suffolk... :rolleyes:) I would use my middle name (Horatio, since you ask ;)) or a favourite pet or some such (Tinkerbell, so that's why I stuck with my real name!)

If anyone new or old has a problem with this new "rule" (you've gone all soft on your human rights and anti-authoritarian stance now Hamish! ;)) then frankly I doubt the community would benefit much from their presence...

Yours, Tinkerbell. :lol:

Reid Malenfant
14-10-2010, 19:41
I really can't see a problem with it ;)

By the way Nick i have had a tin foil hat on fleabay for ages & still have 100% positive feedback with 1300+ transactions - it works :eyebrows: Me & the cat...

Not really ;)

:lolsign:

Beechwoods
14-10-2010, 19:55
http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss49/aos_images/smilies/afdbsmiley.gif

:D It's surprisingly efficient, particularly in built up areas!

The Vinyl Adventure
14-10-2010, 20:02
Nah, Alex, I'm a lefty encouraging community .... Community is important with ideals of my persuasion!

anthonyTD
15-10-2010, 08:19
hi all,
ok with me...
Anthony,TD...

Clive
15-10-2010, 09:13
I've no problem with real names, which is why my username gives a hint at my real name.....we wouldn't need to edit our signatures if we all included our name in the our username. Makes it easier too when replying too as quotes will carry the real name. Anyway too late now, we can't ask everyone to change their usernames.

The Grand Wazoo
15-10-2010, 09:26
I've posted a request to members to amend their details over on the Noticeboard. Full instructions included!

First Name Terms - action required please, folks
http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8028

Thanks folks

MartinT
15-10-2010, 13:03
Complied!

Beechwoods
15-10-2010, 18:26
Thanks Martin. Can members please be aware that both Location and Name are now required, and you'll be prompted to enter these when you next update your profile.

Many thanks everyone. It's great to see some of you have already updated your details :)

baron
19-10-2010, 19:41
Updated Name & location

The Grand Wazoo
19-10-2010, 23:20
Thanks a lot Philip

horace
20-10-2010, 19:07
I have forgotten who I am and where I live.

Is there some kind of exemption scheme for people in my position?

Hugs and kisses,

Lucinda from Barnsley.

Beechwoods
20-10-2010, 19:27
I predict that you will receive a reminder sometime in the next few days... a message will appear on the mat by your front door. It will have words in a window, and these words will reveal themselves to you. Do not be afraid, young Horace :)

horace
20-10-2010, 19:41
I predict that you will receive a reminder sometime in the next few days... a message will appear on the mat by your front door. It will have words in a window, and these words will reveal themselves to you. Do not be afraid, young Horace :)

But if I don't remember who I am, how will I know it's for me?

:scratch:

Francis from Stuttgart

Beechwoods
20-10-2010, 20:05
When the man from the lottery comes, you will know, grasshopper.

Rare Bird
20-10-2010, 20:18
whats happens if no one complies? i personally find it all a tad patronising tbh.

Beechwoods
20-10-2010, 20:25
We would like people who post to complete their info, so other people 'know' who they're talking to. Existing members don't have to complete their details until they next update their profile. If they never update their profile then they won't get a system prompt... the only reason we did this was so we didn't have to keep asking people, which is probably a bit more annoying for all concerned anyway. It seems the case that a lot of people are happy to complete their details in any case, most active posters were even before we made the recent changes, via their sig or elsewhere. I appreciate that for you, with a 'real name' username, it probably seems excessive, but most people have more abstract usernames, like me :)

horace
20-10-2010, 20:26
When the man from the lottery comes, you will know, grasshopper.

I don't do the lottery.

Or do I?

Hmmm.

:lol:

Rare Bird
20-10-2010, 20:34
We would like people who post to complete their info, so other people 'know' who they're talking to. Existing members don't have to complete their details until they next update their profile. If they never update their profile then they won't get a system prompt... the only reason we did this was so we didn't have to keep asking people, which is probably a bit more annoying for all concerned anyway. It seems the case that a lot of people are happy to complete their details in any case, most active posters were even before we made the recent changes, via their sig or elsewhere. I appreciate that for you, with a 'real name' username, it probably seems excessive, but most people have more abstract usernames, like me :)

Hi Nick
I don't want to sound off here but even though i don't have a problem with using my name as it was my choice anyway. It's the 'I'm Andr'e' bit under the right details i'm not happy about, i can't change it nor did i ask for it there.That alone will be something people will blow off about.. you can ask people to put there names in signature of what ever area's they have access to but making decisions for them by taking liberties they can't personally change is totally out of order.

Reid Malenfant
20-10-2010, 20:39
Hi Nick, i never got a prompt even though i went to edit options ;)

Hi Nick
I don't want to sound off here but even though i don't have a problem with using my name as it was my choice anyway. It's the 'I'm Andr'e' bit under the right details i'm not happy about, i can't change it nor did i ask for it there.That alone will be something people will blow off about.. you can ask people to put there names in signature of what ever area's they have access to but making decisions for them by taking liberties they can't personally change is totally out of order. I have a name for this behaviour & i'm sure a lot have!
Andre, just because you are asked to fill in certain information doesn't mean that you have to be totally forthcoming :eyebrows:

Check Ali Taits name, mine's a little odd to :lol:

Rare Bird
20-10-2010, 20:41
Andre, just because you are asked to fill in certain information doesn't mean that you have to be totally forthcoming :eyebrows:

Check Ali Taits name, mine's a little odd to :lol:

i never got an option

Beechwoods
20-10-2010, 20:42
I appreciate your feedback Andre. The 'I'm Nick' thing was intended to be a gentle way of presenting people's name, nothing more. Just better than 'Name: Nick'. It was designed so at a glance folks can see who they're referring to. To be honest, if anyone has real objections to sharing their real name they'll put something else in there. I won't know whether it's their real name or not, it's just a handle for them to be known as. At least having it next to their posts they won't forget who they said they were when they joined!

Beechwoods
20-10-2010, 20:45
If you really object Andre, you can just edit your name in the same place you entered it originally. It's not possible to leave the field blank, because it's a required field, but others have found ways to make their name 'special' as Mark has pointed out.

Rare Bird
20-10-2010, 20:49
Hi Nick
Like i said the other day i'm justt getting this when i do so.Don't think it's an Apostrophie prob

You did not enter the correct format for the Name field. Please read the field description for the expected format.

Ali Tait
20-10-2010, 20:56
That's because you can't have a space between letters mate,the system won't do it.

Beechwoods
20-10-2010, 20:57
Andr'e - PM me with what you're trying to enter and I'll investigate it. I've tried Andr'e as well and that works. Only characters A-Z, a-z, hyphen and apostrophe are permitted as it's a name field. Numbers and other characters will be rejected, as will spaces, as Ali points out... sorry it's causing you an issue though. It's not my intention to cause anyone any grief...

Barry
20-10-2010, 21:16
Nick

What is the purpose of the 'AFDB' logo after your signature? What does it mean?

Regards

Reid Malenfant
20-10-2010, 21:21
What is the purpose of the 'AFDB' logo after your signature? What does it mean?

Regards
It's a crap deflector :lol:

I have one to that i use on ebay 2871

I still have 100% + feedback, never a negative :eyebrows:

Keeps the brain in order ;)

Rare Bird
20-10-2010, 21:36
Andr'e - PM me with what you're trying to enter and I'll investigate it. I've tried Andr'e as well and that works. Only characters A-Z, a-z, hyphen and apostrophe are permitted as it's a name field. Numbers and other characters will be rejected, as will spaces, as Ali points out... sorry it's causing you an issue though. It's not my intention to cause anyone any grief...

Yeh i know whats accepted & what not in a field name but to be frank Nick i don't want anything in..I understand your reasons for it but to be honest it's not really nessissary is it?

MartinT
20-10-2010, 22:10
but most people have more abstract usernames, like me :)

And some people have seemingly abstract avatars :scratch:

YNWaN
04-08-2012, 11:40
And some people have seemingly abstract avatars :scratch:

I've just seen this comment Martin - did you have anyone specific in mind?

;)

MartinT
04-08-2012, 11:57
Not at all, Mark, yours has meaning for you. In most cases, I get the meaning but in some I just scratch my head.

YNWaN
04-08-2012, 12:08
No prob matey :).

Personally, I'm fond of the (apparently) abstract ;).

Alex_UK
04-08-2012, 12:39
And nice to see yours back to "normal" Martin! ;)

MartinT
04-08-2012, 12:54
It couldn't last :)

myles
23-04-2013, 18:03
It seems that some have forgotten the rule regarding names being displayed in the top corner and are using it to make comments about something or other. Perhaps a re-read of the link below would help.

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8028

Happy to help.

MartinT
23-04-2013, 18:54
:rolleyes:

myles
23-04-2013, 19:40
I got pulled for it back along, its only fair we all play by the same rule book Martin. I know you are called Martin because it says 'I'm Martin' in the corner of your post.

See, the system works.

Ali Tait
23-04-2013, 19:43
What about those of us that use our name as our avatar?

myles
23-04-2013, 19:45
Well, I was in that group but seemingly it wans't enough. I now understand there are those who need to see the name in the top corner so there should be uniformity to cater to the lowest common denominator.

Alex_UK
23-04-2013, 19:47
I think that was the general consensus - if you use your name in your username, and/or your signature, then it isn't quite so important, but if people are worried about it and can't figure out who I am I'll gladly change mine.

Alex_UK
23-04-2013, 19:47
(IfMarcoTellsMeTo... ;))

myles
23-04-2013, 19:53
(IfMarcoTellsMeTo... ;))

There's many a true word spoken in jest.

The Grand Wazoo
23-04-2013, 20:08
There's many a true word spoken in jest.

Hmmm......interesting. So what are you trying to say there Myles?

myles
23-04-2013, 20:11
As in life, there are certain motivators and enablers that implore us to act. The same can be said for here.

Marco
23-04-2013, 20:41
Yeah, simple rule, chaps: if your username and/or your signature contains your 'real' name, then the 'I'm' bit on your profile can contain anything (polite) that you wish!

Basically, as long as your real first name is featured somewhere on your posts on the forum, you're ok, but if your username is 'Cyborg126534', and you have 'I'manalienfromouterspace' written on your profile, with nothing in your signature other than a 'famous' quote, system list, or some such, then you're NOT ok! ;)

Marco.

synsei
23-04-2013, 20:44
Yeah, simple rule, chaps: if your username and/or your signature contains your 'real' name, then the 'I'm' bit on your profile can contain anything (polite) that you wish!

Basically, as long as your real first name is featured somewhere on your posts on the forum, you're ok, but if your username is 'Cyborg126534', and you have 'I'manalienfromouterspace' written on your profile, with nothing in your signature other than a 'famous' quote, system list, or some such, then you're NOT ok! ;)

Marco.

I am sad... I wanted that username but it had been taken by an alien from outer space... :doh: ;)

Alex_UK
23-04-2013, 21:49
That great - MarcoSaidItIsOkSoIWillLeaveItAsItIs

Not sure I feel it was implored or enabled, but hopefully everyone's happy, and Myles you are free to FillYourBoots with a special "I'm" if you like! ;)

:D

myles
23-04-2013, 21:50
That great - MarcoSaidItIsOkSoIWillLeaveItAsItIs

Not sure I feel it was implored or enabled, but hopefully everyone's happy, and Myles you are free to FillYourBoots with a special "I'm" if you like! ;)

:D

Im on my way to do it.

Alex_UK
23-04-2013, 21:52
Love it! :)

MartinT
24-04-2013, 05:49
I got pulled for it back along, its only fair we all play by the same rule book Martin.

I wasn't disagreeing with you, Myles. I was expressing innocence!

I'm HavingTroubleMakingMyselfUnderstoodRecently

Marco
24-04-2013, 06:02
I'mJustWaitingForAlexToRecogniseHisNewSignature... :eyebrows:

Marco.

myles
24-04-2013, 07:23
I wasn't disagreeing with you, Myles. I was expressing innocence!

I'm HavingTroubleMakingMyselfUnderstoodRecently

:)

Alex_UK
26-04-2013, 08:47
I'mJustWaitingForAlexToRecogniseHisNewSignature... :eyebrows:

Marco.

:doh: I didn't even notice until I read this!

:lol:

Marco
26-04-2013, 09:04
Suits you, sir! :lol: :eyebrows:

Marco.

wiicrackpot
26-04-2013, 09:38
Im on my way to do it.
Too long and doesn't rhyme, howz about....

I'mEatingUpTheMyles

Marco, can i change mine to ''SleepingByTheSideOfTheRoad'', i've changed my name by deed poll to Wiicrackpot. :barrel:

Marco
26-04-2013, 09:53
Lol... Andy, you can do it yourself, via your User CP :)

Marco.

wiicrackpot
26-04-2013, 20:26
Lol... Andy, you can do it yourself, via your User CP :)

Marco.
I tried but it doesn't work for me, i'm a dumbass, :confused: ah well just have to stay as boring Andy then.

Marco
26-04-2013, 20:44
I've done it for you, daftee! ;)

Marco.

wiicrackpot
26-04-2013, 21:59
I've done it for you, daftee! ;)

Marco.
Too clever by far, thanks. :)

sussed it, gone back.too fussy.