PDA

View Full Version : FOC Tandeburg TR 2025 reciever

John
14-10-2010, 10:38
This is just not being ued need good home and in good condiction You need to pick it up if you want it classic bit of kit

spendorman
14-10-2010, 11:05
This is just not being ued need good home and in good condiction You need to pick it up if you want it classic bit of kit

Hi John

If it's not gone, I would like it.

John
14-10-2010, 12:04
Ok it yours I drop off at weekend perhaps sunday

spendorman
14-10-2010, 12:11
Ok it yours I drop off at weekend perhaps sunday

Hi John, brilliant, Stay for a cuppa

The Grand Wazoo
14-10-2010, 17:05
Did you ever get to use it in the end John?
If I'd have been closer I'd have loved to have taken it off your hands to add to the receiver collection.

spendorman
18-10-2010, 11:03
FOC Tandburg TR 2025 receiver

Many thanks to John for the receiver. He very kindly brought it round last night. I apologise, probably not the best host as I am recovering from some horrible cold or something. Needless to say, if I can help John out in the future with my limited skills, I shall.

The receiver was in fair condition, some marking of the wood and one meter was loose inside the unit.

A cursory clean with soap and water was carried out, the cabinet removed and the tuning meter refitted with a very small amount of adhesive. The inside was dusty, but not massively given the age of the unit. A small soft paintbrush and vacuum cleaner here helped.

One panel light was not working, thought that this may need replacement, but just moving it in it’s holder got it going.

Cabinet put back and stains on the wood were reduced using white spirit. The wood was then anointed with Teak oil. Not a perfect result, but much better than before.

Temporarily speakers were connected (yes, not the best place on the floor) and what was surprising was the good bass quality. Very nice sounds issuing from this system. No one will recognise the speakers, because they are home built LS3/5a clones that I built many years ago (very high quality crossovers). These clones sound better to me than my 15 Ohm Chartwell LS3/5a. The cabinets are slightly bigger and better damped.

Some pretty poor pics here:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4086/5092566089_c7d0260ec8_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4153/5092566017_0a3a5749ae_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4151/5092565925_29a2ecc3db_b.jpg

Rare Bird
18-10-2010, 11:34
YUM YUM :)

John
18-10-2010, 12:05
Glad it worked out

hornucopia
18-10-2010, 12:22
Good old things. The earlier version gets used, 9 to 5 each day, at my Cafe in Bristol, running big old Heathkit speakers that loom on top of the fridges! (At least, I hope it does! I sold the cafe 3 years ago......)

Just visible a back of pic!

Like the shirt? Paul Smith!

I know....all you lechers will see just the blonde!

Welder
18-10-2010, 21:09
Ohh, i go bye there from time to time :)

hornucopia
18-10-2010, 21:47

As a customer PLEASE complain to the Market Management about the tables
Technically the seating in the South Arcade.
For 20 years I had a lovely quirky friendly relaxing space. People loved it!!
THEN the Market management (Councils!!!!) surlily took the space away, ruined it, called it a 'Communal seating area' and stuck the cheapest, nastiest tables in (£50 set of tables plus 4 chairs-iKea!) rarely properly clean it.....and that was 10 years ago.
Tables are now abhorrent! And despite numerous complaints they just ignore this!
The traders try their best to provide a good service while the management ...well, judge it for yourself.
The Manager's name is Steve Morris.
Steve_morris@bristol-city.gov.uk I think.
All join in!
I sold the cafe 3 years ago to a nice (younger) person, who deserves better!

Beechwoods
18-10-2010, 22:31

Same here. Love the turkey salad rolls! A belated welcome to AOS Chris... and John... seems the Bristol contingent is growing :)

Barry
18-10-2010, 22:46
FOC Tandburg TR 2025 receiver

Many thanks to John for the receiver. He very kindly brought it round last night. I apologise, probably not the best host as I am recovering from some horrible cold or something. Needless to say, if I can help John out in the future with my limited skills, I shall.

The receiver was in fair condition, some marking of the wood and one meter was loose inside the unit.

A cursory clean with soap and water was carried out, the cabinet removed and the tuning meter refitted with a very small amount of adhesive. The inside was dusty, but not massively given the age of the unit. A small soft paintbrush and vacuum cleaner here helped.

One panel light was not working, thought that this may need replacement, but just moving it in it’s holder got it going.

Cabinet put back and stains on the wood were reduced using white spirit. The wood was then anointed with Teak oil. Not a perfect result, but much better than before.

Temporarily speakers were connected (yes, not the best place on the floor) and what was surprising was the good bass quality. Very nice sounds issuing from this system. No one will recognise the speakers, because they are home built LS3/5a clones that I built many years ago (very high quality crossovers). These clones sound better to me than my 15 Ohm Chartwell LS3/5a. The cabinets are slightly bigger and better damped.

Some pretty poor pics here:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4086/5092566089_c7d0260ec8_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4153/5092566017_0a3a5749ae_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4151/5092565925_29a2ecc3db_b.jpg

Umm - nice! There's something about wood trim on (domestic) audio gear.

But it has to be done with style - the Europeans (including Scandinavia) are generally the best at this, witness: B&O; Tandberg; Quad and the older Leak and Rogers.

The Americans do a pretty good job, but to my eyes, the cladding can be a bit 'thick and heavy' looking, though I do like the wooden sleeves for the very early Mark Levinson gear, the early Harman Kardon 'Citation' items and for some classic tuners such as the Marantz 10B.

The Japanese are probably the least successful, save for some Accuphase and Luxman items.

Still "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" -so don't necessarily pay any attention to me.

Regards

(PS Did you follow any of the advice on cleaning up audio items mentioned in the AoS Library article - or did you just follow your own instincts?)

spendorman
19-10-2010, 04:07
(PS Did you follow any of the advice on cleaning up audio items mentioned in the AoS Library article - or did you just follow your own instincts?)

Just did what I have done for years, learnt by mistake early on to beware of using strong solvents for cleaning. Ordinary block soap and a damp cloth work quite well.

Placed the LS3/5a clones on some stands, that gave an improvement. Then tried Rogers LS7 (more efficient) but surprisingly did not make the clones sound small.

Sound with LS3/5a clones and LS7 is very good, no complaints, it is possible that it has not got the top end subtlety of Radford STA25 III or Quad II or even the amazingly sweet B&O Beolab 1700, but it is not bad at all.

The pre-set tuning on the Tandberg is quite nice, easy to set up and use. The adjuster for each pre-set is directly below it. The variable tuning has a good feel to it, flywheel motion. There is no Aux input, but there are two tape recorder inputs.

spendorman
20-10-2010, 10:47
Temporary set-up in hall with Rogers LS7

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41679262@N02/5098746111/sizes/z/in/photostream/