PDA

View Full Version : Joining the Techie Club...?

Alex_UK
09-10-2010, 19:28
Well, you may have read Dave DSJR talking about his Technics SL-150 & SL-1500 arm - I'm not sure if it was because he thinks I should be getting on with sorting my 401 out and need a stand in whilst that happens, or that after reading about my 4 systems he felt I need 4 turntables so I have one in each - but he PM'd me an offer, and the SL-150 has now ousted the 401 in my main system for a trial period.

The spin-off benefit to this is that I got to meet Dave, as he popped round at lunchtime for a natter, a cuppa and to drop off the deck. I hope he won't mind me saying this, but just occasionally his posts can come across a little harsh (though no doubt fair) - but as is often the case, the real person behind the on-screen posts is far from that - a thoroughly nice chap whose infectious enthusiasm for all things hi-fi is only matched by his encyclopedic knowledge of it. Really good to meet you Dave, and the first meeting of the "Suffolk chapter of the AoS massive" will hopefully not be the last!

Well I have only had the chance to install the deck and play a few tracks with the headshell/cartridge that Dave supplied with it - an ADC VLM MkII - and it sounded very good indeed. Too early to make any direct comparisons with the 401, but I was keen to hear how the (previously Dave-supplied) Nagaoka MP-15 in Sumiko headshell sounded, as I have got to know it in recent months and how it works in the Garrard. About 30 seconds in, my little girl woke up from her nap, and so that was that! To be continued...!

On the plus side, my wife thinks the Techie looks much better than the current dogs-dinner of the 401, so I suspect on that basis and the first listen it will be staying put for a while, and Dave and I will be doing a deal...

DSJR
09-10-2010, 19:40
Really great to meet you too Alex. You have a great system and I look forward to hearing more different music in times ahead.

A huge shout to you (and Neil indirectly) for the Hybrid CD - bloody BRILLIANT and right up my boulevard :king:

Like all bits of audio kit, I think the techie just needs to be understood and set up to play to its strengths. I'm sure the 401 will leap-frog it once fettled and re-plinthed (although I thought it sounded pretty darned good as-is) but hope the SL150/1500 will be a good stop-gap - we all need a turntable collection anyway ;)

Re PM, Cardle to win :)

Alex_UK
09-10-2010, 19:56
Cheers Dave! :)

For the benefit of others, the first CD I pulled out to put on was Disappear Here by Hybrid, which I had evangelised about on here before and which (Dalek) Neil reviewed positively on AIHFA, and appears to have another fan!

Can't wait to spin-up the Techie later to have another listen later - after X-factor (recorded, so I'm a little behind, but Matt Cardle is definitely a cut above and one of my favourites, though they've all been pretty good so far.)

Reid Malenfant
09-10-2010, 19:59
The spin-off benefit to this is that I got to meet Dave, as he popped round at lunchtime for a natter, a cuppa and to drop off the deck. I hope he won't mind me saying this, but just occasionally his posts can come across a little harsh (though no doubt fair) - but as is often the case, the real person behind the on-screen posts is far from that - a thoroughly nice chap whose infectious enthusiasm for all things hi-fi is only matched by his encyclopedic knowledge of it.
Yes he can come accross as a little brash at times but it's all in a good cause, the guy knows what he's talking about! I get the impression that he'd speak his mind & not mince about if he's positive about anything ;)

I know someone like that :eyebrows:

Enjoy the TT Alex, sounds like you are already :)

Spectral Morn
09-10-2010, 20:29
Dave you must get Morning Sci-Fi as well imho Hybrids best album.

Welcome to the Techie club Alex.

Regards D S D L

DSJR
09-10-2010, 21:35
Oh yes indeedy :lol:

I've not enjoyed a WHOLE new album so much in ages. Touches my soul the way Ulrich Schnauss does, but with clearer mixes ;)

Brash, ME??????? Do please understand fella's that the likes of hifi dave and I have been round the hifi block a good few times and lived to tell the tales :eyebrows:

MartinT
10-10-2010, 17:41
Welcome to the Techie club, Alex. You have years of happly fettling ahead of you. In any case, it'll make a change from discussing Caiman mods!

Alex_UK
10-10-2010, 19:49
Thanks Martin! One advantage of the SL-150 is that I can't be tempted by the Bearing mod, but I'm sure there will still be plenty of fiddling to be done! Dave (DSJR) already had the mat, I will try some feet (Dave suggested the sorbothane Foculpods I already have under my CD player) and I'll probably see if my SME 3009 S2 Improved sounds any better than the SL-1500 arm, but otherwise I think I will be putting the real money and attention to the 401. Which will sound better in the end could be interesting - the 401 is renowned for its bass, but I must say the Techie (in the limited time I've listened - no chance today due to chores :() is no slouch in the lower registers!

More thoughts after some more listening in the coming days.

moo-fi
10-10-2010, 20:21
Looks like I am heading down the Techie route too, just got approval from she who must be involved. She wants to head down to the west country to hear one before parting with some serious cash.

Tarzan
10-10-2010, 20:40
What Techie are you going to listen to?:).

Alex_UK
10-10-2010, 20:40
I suspect you will be needing the credit card Fred! ;)

MartinT
10-10-2010, 20:43
The Foculpods will do nicely to start with. Not sure whether the SME will outperform the Technics arm, but worth getting a decent headshell (e.g. Sumiko) and trying out both.

moo-fi
10-10-2010, 20:48
Still to set it up, but looking at 1210 with SME 309 and my current Vdh Frog with copper mat, Isone feet, PSU with motor mod and timestep bearing. I think that should cover it but the point of contention is over the arm, she likes the look of the new funk arm or Jelco and isn't a fan of SME's as she thinks they are too clinical (I have the use of an Roksan and SME V combination with an Ortofon Rohman on the end of it.
You think you have problems when your wife hates the Hifi, just look of what happens when she is:rolleyes:.

Alex_UK
10-10-2010, 20:51
The Foculpods will do nicely to start with. Not sure whether the SME will outperform the Technics arm, but worth getting a decent headshell (e.g. Sumiko) and trying out both.

Going to put the feet on in a while and see how they change things. Currently using the Herbies mat on top of the standard one, need to try the different combinations.

Already transferred the Sumiko/Nagaoka MP-15 from the 401 to the Techie, and though I only listened to the ADC for two half albums, comparing the same ones, the Sumiko/Nagaoka seemed better, the soundstage noticeably wider and tone a little warmer. Too early for conclusions, just need to spin some tunes and experiment with the variables! Any combination has sounded great so far!

MartinT
10-10-2010, 20:54
Try the Herbies directly on the platter - it's designed for that and usually sounds a lot better.

Alex_UK
10-10-2010, 21:12
Try the Herbies directly on the platter - it's designed for that and usually sounds a lot better.

Will do! Now! ;)

DSJR
10-10-2010, 21:18
The arm cannot be adjusted for height, so will be tail up.. slightly. They do make other versions of different thicknesses, but the cost of importing one will be high.

Alex_UK
10-10-2010, 21:30
Its not too far off parallel with the Sumiko/Nagaoka, Dave - and based on a few tracks I've just frisbee'd the standard one into next-doors garden! ;)

DSJR
10-10-2010, 21:35
You haven't paid for it yet.... ;)

Alex_UK
10-10-2010, 21:37
I think it is fairly likely you will be receiving an email entitled "You've got Funds" in the not too dim and distant... :)

MartinT
10-10-2010, 22:08
and based on a few tracks I've just frisbee'd the standard one into next-doors garden! ;)

Nice one, Alex. There's a lot of respect for the Herbies mat hereabouts, many have tried alternatives but none better. It's also excellent on Mike New's platter.

DSJR
11-10-2010, 08:55
+1, for the Technics decks (all of them?)

Sounds thin and washed out on the Thorens, which really seems to need a heavy rubber mat to "weight" the sound down. I'll try the TD160 Super mat when I get it

P.S. Martin Colloms did some frequency tests using the different mats available twenty to thirty years ago (Linn and Rega felt/wool mats, squidgey "Dumpa" mat etc). I forget how the tests were done, but the tonal differences were quite measurable and it showed how the characteristics of each mat could be applied to various resonance characteristics of various decks. from the technical reviews I've read, many popular direct drives with semi-solid plinths had a mid-bass "bump" that could have a deadening effect on the "flow" of the music, unlike the LP12, which slightly boomed instead. A Herbies style mat would seem to balance this perfectly. A shame that they cost around £80 in the UK, by whatever means you purchase one :(

I haven't heard the acrylic Funk mat and similar, but I'm still going to give a shout for the relatively inexpensive NAS Spacemat, which is consistent and often extremely good across many different turntables.

chris@panteg
11-10-2010, 10:34
Dave ' i tried the funk mat , it has the potential to be very good ! but it didn't fit my platter.

Arthur is now selling the Funk 1200 mat ' cut to fit perfectly , well worth trying.

DSJR
11-10-2010, 12:06
Well, Alex has now bought the Technics. I'm really glad it will go to a good home where it will be used enthusiastically :) My credit cards will be grateful for the money as well :(

Thanks Alex, you're a star :respect:

Alex_UK
11-10-2010, 12:48
Yep, I am now officially in the Techie DD club.

Thanks again Dave - It will certainly be getting a fair amount of enthusiastic use I think!

I also think that the SL-150 and other siblings would be potentially a better buy than the 1200/1210 for some folks, particularly if you are not looking at extensively modifying one, and wish to avoid the probably abused DJ examples you would likely get for the same outlay. They certainly look a bit more domesticated, in my opinion.

Just need the opportunity to try cranking the volume up a bit now!

DSJR
11-10-2010, 14:31
Trouble is, people are cottoning on to these excellent but earlier models and online interest is starting to push prices up a tad. I'm sure you won't lose on the 150 should you ever wish to sell it - testament to the basic excellent and long lived design.