PDA

View Full Version : Caiman again

Marktdac
07-10-2010, 21:28
Find the headphone out a bit bass light seen somwhere on here about modding .What do u recomend for a differnt opamp that gives more bass ,and id it just a case of unpluging and pluging new one back in ?

Dont really want it to effect the rest of the sound though

Only intested in modding the headphone side my cans are Audio Technica ATH AD700 . Unless someone can recomend headphones with more bass

Thanks Mark

MartinT
07-10-2010, 21:36
The AD826 gave a little more bass but to be honest I didn't like them as much as the LM4562 op-amps that come with the Caiman. Swapping out the 12V regulator for a 15V Murata or Dexa is going to help too, provided you have some soldering skills.

Marktdac
07-10-2010, 22:31
Ok thanks the Beresford website recomends THS4032 or LME49720HA. Whats the differnce and wheres the best place to Buy?
Mark

technobear
08-10-2010, 18:37
...id it just a case of unpluging and pluging new one back in ?

Yes.

...my cans are Audio Technica ATH AD700 . Unless someone can recomend headphones with more bass

Audio Technica ATH-M50 http://www.technobear.btinternet.co.uk/emoticons/phones.gif

djshawk
08-10-2010, 21:00
Unless someone can recomend headphones with more bass

I use Senn HD25s with mine and lack of bass is NOT a description I would ever think of using. Whether they are up to the standard of the headphones you say you've got I don't know but they are easily the best I've listened too.

StanleyB
09-10-2010, 08:21
Find the headphone out a bit bass light seen somwhere on here about modding .What do u recomend for a differnt opamp that gives more bass ,and id it just a case of unpluging and pluging new one back in ?

Dont really want it to effect the rest of the sound though

Only intested in modding the headphone side my cans are Audio Technica ATH AD700 . Unless someone can recomend headphones with more bass

Try a THS4032 opamp in the headphone section. I have one somewhere in my opamps tray that you can have for a tenner posted.
If you lived close by I would have suggested that you left the DAC and headphone with me for a few days and I would have tuned them for more bass.

Marktdac
09-10-2010, 13:57
Thanks Lads ,Stan is that Opamp u have already soldered to the convertor board ,i if not have u got them aswell .

I will have it off u any way, i will PM u with my email and pay via paypal ,When u send me a bill with the amount if that ok?

Another thing is when listening via the headphone amp does this make the Caimen effectivly an intergrated amp .In other words is the pre amp side of things still being used ? if it is do i need to swap the opamps on both sides ,to get the best out of headphone listening?

Mark
Mark

StanleyB
09-10-2010, 14:37
We can sort out the payment later if you decide to keep it.
You won't need to change the first opamp as well. The LM4562 that's there is a very good line amp, but not so good as a headphone driver. The THS4032 is however more suited for headphone loads and acts as a brilliant buffer output stage. Mine is already on the adapter PCB. See http://www.beresford.me/others/7520SEmods.html for the correct positioning of the adapter board.
PM me your address and I'll pop it in the post next week.

Marktdac
09-10-2010, 14:45
Thanks Stan have sent u a Pm dont mind just paying up front as i will just keep it anyway , if i dont like the sound i will try the LME49720HA

If i dont like that i will go back to standard ,{it will be interesting to see the difference between the 3}incidently if i use the 720ha whats the chance of getting the case to shut if i cut the legs short enough?

Mark

StanleyB
09-10-2010, 14:57
The best combo that I have recently tried is the Gator with THS4032 in the headamp section. My D7000 can produce head shaking bass with spatial reproduction that can rival cross field headamp designs but without loss of bass.

Marktdac
09-10-2010, 15:09
Ok then Stan will try the one u have. As i type i have taken the top off the Caimen .Looking at the headphone opamp and the pics on ur website i take the little dot on the top of the opamp is pin 8 and not pin 1?

StanleyB
09-10-2010, 15:38
Forget about pins. I use the positioning of the markings on the THS4032 to get it right;).

Marktdac
09-10-2010, 16:08
Ok thanks got that wrong anyway ,looking at the pics on ur website and because of the design pin 8 on the opamp{4032 that is} is right next to pin 1 on adaptor board and socket

Will just go off the other pics

Mark

Marktdac
16-10-2010, 16:55
Stan are you going to send me the Opamp ? if u send me a paypal invoice i will pay before u send if u want

Thanks again Mark