PDA

View Full Version : Five Leaves Left

Haselsh1
04-10-2010, 18:11
As part of my ongoing removal of vinyl and replacement by compact disc I have just received from Amazon today 'Five Leaves Left' by Nick Drake and I have just enjoyed around forty minutes of beautiful music in the dark. The atmosphere recorded into this music is astounding for a 1970 recording and the breathy quality of Nick's voice is truly gorgeous.
The standout tracks for me have to be 'Riverman' and 'Fruit Tree' as I also have Riverman sung by Claire Martin on one of her albums who does a stunning version of this track. I have to say that I think the sound of Nick Drake's albums is helped along no end by my Croft pre/power and its gloriously warm sound. This is truly evocative music in a more than slightly melancholy way which suits my overall mood exactly.

Barry
04-10-2010, 19:19
Pleased to hear you like the Nick Drake disc Shaun.

It's an excellent recording, though I'm a little surprised - I thought you were a die-hard vinyl enthusiast and CD hater? Obviously I got it wrong!

Anyway enjoy -

Regards

The Grand Wazoo
04-10-2010, 20:08
I've just finished reading Joe Boyd's book - 'White Bicycles: Making Music in the 1960s' and it gave quite an insight into his time spent with, & producing Nick Drake. A really interesting and entertaining book.

Grez
04-10-2010, 20:26
As part of my ongoing removal of vinyl and replacement by compact disc I have just received from Amazon today 'Five Leaves Left' by Nick Drake and I have just enjoyed around forty minutes of beautiful music in the dark. The atmosphere recorded into this music is astounding for a 1970 recording and the breathy quality of Nick's voice is truly gorgeous.
The standout tracks for me have to be 'Riverman' and 'Fruit Tree' as I also have Riverman sung by Claire Martin on one of her albums who does a stunning version of this track. I have to say that I think the sound of Nick Drake's albums is helped along no end by my Croft pre/power and its gloriously warm sound. This is truly evocative music in a more than slightly melancholy way which suits my overall mood exactly.

I got this album for a solitary quid in a junk shop circa 1987. I'd heard about Nick Drake but I actually bought it because one Richard Thompson appeared on track 1.

It's a truly lovely album and definitely one to listen to as opposed to have on in the background. The lovely string arrangement (like Delius!) on River Man is a joy, as are "Day is Done", "Saturday Sun", the delightful "Man in a Shed" and of course "Fruit Tree."

It still sounds crisp and fresh even after all these years (I now have it on CD as well: I think it's the only album I have in my collection in both CD and LP.) Glad you like it. It's one I can return to time and time and time again.

colinB
04-10-2010, 20:26
Good book. Theres a new one getting good reviews at the moment, Electric Eden by Rob Young and one yet to be released called Seasons they change;the story of acid and psychedelic folk by Greg Weeks.

DSJR
05-10-2010, 09:08
Those Nick Drake tracks are amazing...

I have a vinyl 1990's copy of "Five leaves Left" and find the sound too "thrummy" on the Spendors, the CD compilation sounding a bit better balanced.

chris@panteg
05-10-2010, 09:56
I have ' A treasury ' on SACD its marvelous , you can pick it up very cheaply.

Concerto Audio
05-10-2010, 11:04
Few minutes ago bought the remastered CD for £4.95 from Amazon.
I havn't got Nick Drake in my collection. Hopefully I will get the CD tomorrow and will give you my comments.

DSJR
05-10-2010, 11:13
I'm playing it via the Decca Microscanner right now. Much better :)

Rare Bird
05-10-2010, 11:26
Not a fan but always liked ''Sunday'' from 'Bryter Layter' album..

DSJR
05-10-2010, 11:31
Got to get that one. It's rather different I understand.

Grez
05-10-2010, 18:41
Bryter Layter has a more commercial approach to the production than the other two albums - and so tends to be regarded by many people as the least good of the three. However, it's packed with lovely songs and instrumentals, however it has less intensity than either five Leaves Left or Pink Moon.

I have to say, I like all of the albums but Bryter Layter is possibly the one that I have listened to most - and once it's on, I find it very difficult to switch off!