PDA

View Full Version : more thorens problems

The Vinyl Adventure
04-10-2010, 16:23
right, i have managed to mount the cart fairly satisfactorily and got it aligned spot on first time... bonus

it doesnt work though... not bonus!

all i get is a constant loud hum and no music at all when the relevant input is selected ... any ideas?

this is turning into a bloody nightmare!

Reid Malenfant
04-10-2010, 16:29
Sounds like the shield isn't connected to the phono plug outer connection ;) You'd certainly get the same effect anyway.

The Vinyl Adventure
04-10-2010, 16:43
how would i know if that has happend and how can i fix it

hifi_dave
04-10-2010, 16:53
Do you have a multimeter to check continuity ?

Turn the volume low and check the headshell is fitted securely. Move the headshell around to hear if the sound comes and goes.

What happens if you remove the headshell entirely ?

The Vinyl Adventure
04-10-2010, 16:55
yep, but ill need laymans instructions as to where to poke the pins ... if that could be supplied i would be very grateful

hifi_dave
04-10-2010, 17:07
Easy peasy.

Remove cable from phono stage. Remove connectors from cartridge pins. You now have a run from cartridge tags to phono plugs.

Set your meter to read resistance as low as you can.

Put one probe on the red wire connector and the other probe on the centre of the right (red) phono plug. The meter should read close to zero ohms.

Do similar with the other connectors. Green to outer of right phono plug. White to inner of left phono plug and blue to outer of left phono plug. All should read close to zero ohms. If there is a break, you won't read zero.

I'd try moving the headshell around first.

The Vinyl Adventure
04-10-2010, 17:12
good man... i would get on that now, but after a long days work (me not her, she is off work) hannah has suggested that we tidy the spare room .... :doh: ... thereis a lot of junk in the spare room!