PDA

View Full Version : Ortofon 2m red doesn't fit on thorens td160

The Vinyl Adventure
03-10-2010, 22:55
Sort of based on advice from here an sort of just because it was all they had in audio-t within the money I had, I bought a 2m red...(i really wanted to listen to vinyl on sat night so didn't have time to faff looking online for somthing else - not the best route to perfection i know, but based on the ortophon recomendation from here I thought it a safe enough bet)
I got it home to find that it is impossible to fit it on the thorens head shell due to the 2m red having threaded holes for screws an the thorens head shell having the same...
What is the solution?
Take the cart back?
Sell the tt and buy one the cart fits on?
Different head shell? (this seems the logical option but I'm sure i read that it is specific to the arm)

DSJR
04-10-2010, 08:06
If you don't mind butchering the headshell, the silver trim with "Thorens" printed on it can be removed. Under this will be the threaded bar which you can ream out to take the standard 2.5mm bolts of a suitable length. I'd still aim to keep an untouched spare headshell though, for completeness, but if you don't mind this, then try the step above, or get a refund and replace with, say, a baby Nagaoka...

RobJon
04-10-2010, 08:23
Had the same problem using a Hadcock tonearm, put a headshell nut to each screw between cartridge and headshell. This will lower the cartridge so you may need to adjust tonearm height to acheive parallel tonearm relative to record.

The Vinyl Adventure
04-10-2010, 09:54
RobJon, can you run that by me again, I'm not sure I know what you mean...

Dave, that was my first though, it seemed a bit drastic, but now someone else has said it I shall have another look... :)
What is the modle number of the head shell so I can get another one ...

Marco
04-10-2010, 10:48
Hi 'RobJon',

Welcome to AOS :)

Could you please pop into the Welcome area and introduce yourself to our community by supplying your first name, basic geographic location, system details and music tastes, as this is the requirement for all new members joining AOS.

Cheers! :cool:

Marco.

Rare Bird
04-10-2010, 11:19
Sort of based on advice from here an sort of just because it was all they had in audio-t within the money I had, I bought a 2m red...(i really wanted to listen to vinyl on sat night so didn't have time to faff looking online for somthing else - not the best route to perfection i know, but based on the ortophon recomendation from here I thought it a safe enough bet)
I got it home to find that it is impossible to fit it on the thorens head shell due to the 2m red having threaded holes for screws an the thorens head shell having the same...
What is the solution?

I feel guilty..i think i mentioned the ortofons! :o

The Vinyl Adventure
04-10-2010, 12:02
its alright buddy, i still feel guilty for you buying the lacie hdd that i recommended :)
i think a few people said it anyway, and i wouldnt have thoguht of this limitation...
also no one forced me to buy this particular ortophon... i hold my self entirely responsible

Rare Bird
04-10-2010, 12:39
its alright buddy, i still feel guilty for you buying the lacie hdd that i recommended :)
i think a few people said it anyway, and i wouldnt have thoguht of this limitation...
also no one forced me to buy this particular ortophon... i hold my self entirely responsible

O don't worrie about the HDD
If you like the Thorens why not sell yours & buy one where you can change arms..'TD160B' or even a TD160 'Super'..Plenty come cheap, you can get armboards easy enough & theres spares galore come up for sale.

The Vinyl Adventure
04-10-2010, 13:30
£££ bacically... but yeah, it has crossed my mind more than a few tiems