PDA

View Full Version : Lovely pair of Lowther Acousta Folded Horns just in

greenhomeelectronics
09-07-2008, 13:59
Hi Folks, just got in a really nice pair of Lowther Acousta folded horn speakers in Walnut veneer. Remarkable speakers with a single 8 inch full range driver in a folded horn cabinet, simply superb quality, no crossover distortion, phasing problems or losses as there is no cross over. To go direct to them click this link : http://www.greenhomeshop.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14&products_id=736
These are best collected, pleasenote we can't take card payments on them as they excede our floor limit.
All the best to all,
Dave.

Ali Tait
09-07-2008, 17:12
A bargain at that price.

Filterlab
09-07-2008, 19:58
Fantastic stuff Dave! I'm sure they won't hang around long. :)

http://www.greenhomeshop.co.uk/shop/images/Lowther-Acousta.jpg

Filterlab
09-07-2008, 21:34
By the way Dave, if you ever chance upon a Technics SL-P1300 broadcast CD player then please give me immediate and first reserve. Not the P1200 though - no digital outputs.

Cheers!

greenhomeelectronics
11-07-2008, 19:32
Hiya Rob, I have never had one in but if I do find one I will let you know with much urgency or something. I don't think the Lowthers will hang about, somebody is coming to have a look tomorrow. They really are quite remarkable, the realism is outstanding. Even on modest equipment they just sound like nothing else I have heard. Bloody shame my house is not big enough for them :-(

Filterlab
12-07-2008, 09:38
Time for a house upgrade then Dave. :)

greenhomeelectronics
14-07-2008, 17:47
These speakers are now sold. Didn't think I would have them for long:)

Ali Tait
16-07-2008, 18:03
I've not heard Acousta cabinets before but have been told they are pretty mediocre for Lowther drivers.There are much better cabinets but you have to make them yourself.

Filterlab
17-07-2008, 09:07
I've not heard Acousta cabinets before but have been told they are pretty mediocre for Lowther drivers.

Obviously someone was happy with them. :)

SPS
17-07-2008, 20:42
I once had a pair.. i though i better try some as i had just bough 6x px4 valves and i knew i had to get some speakers that would sing with 3 watts

the ns1000's i had did not do a bad job on 4 watts of SE el84

but i like a bit of volume

i dont know what sang the most.. the drivers or the accousta cabs.. what bass there was, was very coloured.. but the rest showed me what lowthers could do... sort of

dx3 in the fidelio was much, much better.. i lived with that for a couple of years..

that was the real start of my hi fi slippery slope...

steve

Ali Tait
18-07-2008, 20:28
My point exactly.Peeps who've had little or no experience with superb full-range drivers in horn cabs would perhaps find them a revelation,but as you say Steve,there are much better sounding cabinets around to put Lowthers in.Don't mean this in a disparaging way to anyone who's posted on this thread,quite the opposite! It's just that I've been lucky enough to have heard some superb full-range single-driver DIY speakers.My apologies if anyone took offence.

greenhomeelectronics
19-07-2008, 06:40
Well I certainly have not taken offence, it's good to see people discussing the hobby they enjoy so much. We all have different preferences, it's nice that people can come here and express themselves without some of the attacking that I have seen in other places. They have now sold after somebody came along and had a listen to them. Maybe a different cabinet would work even better, I don't know. It does make me want to have a go at building a pair of folded horns though. Might try it with a cheapish pair of car speakers just to see what I can get out of them.
All the best,
Dave.

Ali Tait
19-07-2008, 13:31
Hi Dave,
I'm no expert,but you need to use a driver with the correct parameters in a horn,otherwise it will sound a complete mess.Scott or Steve would be able to advise far better than me on suitable drivers.Many I know however use Fostex full-rangers,which sound excellent for not much cash,and there are many horn cabinet designs on the net.

greenhomeelectronics
19-07-2008, 14:55
Absolutely, same is true for any speaker design. I doubt I will get to it for some time, I am still in the middle of rebbuilding a boat, which is taking all my spare time.
All the best an and all that.

jandl100
20-07-2008, 08:20
I missed the start of this thread - how much were these on sale for?

Ali Tait
20-07-2008, 09:15
325 quid I think it was.Worth it just for the drivers if they were in good condition.

jandl100
20-07-2008, 12:18
Thanks. Damn, I'd have bought them for that!

greenhomeelectronics
20-07-2008, 17:28
They were actually £375, a bit of a bargain I think, the drivers were 6 years old, Lowther had replaced them for the ofiginal owner..
Dave.