PDA

View Full Version : Charity shops great for vinyl

oceanobsession
28-09-2010, 20:35
Hi all, ive found looking in charity shops great for vinyl. depends what you are
into i suppose but ive managed to get

1.steely dan aja mint 99p
2.shirley bassey ive got a song for you 1966 mint 99p
3. eurythmics savage mint 99p
4.bartok decca mint 99p
5. barbera dickson mint 50p
6.shirley bassey 25th anniversary mint £ 199 double
7. the best of eric coates emi 5op
8. rimsky -korsakov scheherazade decca 99p

out tomrrow for more depends what you are looking for loads of crap but also
some good stuff i will only buy mint so that makes things more difficult

ourdogmax
28-09-2010, 20:44
Many bargains, much cheapness :lol:

The Shirley Bassey seems pricey at £199, even for a double:eek:

sparrow
28-09-2010, 20:50
None around here...Oxfam are usually way overpriced and the rest only have dross.

Barry
28-09-2010, 20:52
Many bargains, much cheapness :lol:

The Shirley Bassey seems pricey at £199, even for a double:eek:

A slip of the decimal point methinks!

Good trawl Phil - the charity shop wasn't Oxfam, that's for certain. Overpriced, opportunist, money-grubbing, ungreateful sods, that they are. Me cynical? You bet - from bitter experience!

Regards

Reid Malenfant
28-09-2010, 21:03
Good trawl Phil - the charity shop wasn't Oxfam, that's for certain. Overpriced, opportunist, money-grubbing, ungreateful sods, that they are. Me cynical? You bet - from bitter experience!

Regards
I think the smaller charity shops, not the ones that are all over the UK, but more local ones actually do a tad better ;) They'll even discount on multiple purchases, might appear to be a bad thing, but they'll have so much more stock to bring in from the room at the back you don't get to see :eyebrows:

ourdogmax
28-09-2010, 21:06
A slip of the decimal point methinks!

Regards

Take it Oxfam have upset you somewhat.

I don't find anything worthwhile in the charity shop around here either.:(

Jonboy
28-09-2010, 21:07
I have had some good results at the boot sales as well

hifi_dave
28-09-2010, 21:10
We've got four charity shops here and I've never yet found a CD or LP that I want - it's all junk like MFP, Frank Ifield, someone or the other doing the Beatles, Mrs Mills etc. etc.

MartinT
28-09-2010, 21:48
I've bought many good LPs from Sue Ryder shops. They often get whole collections in and price most at £1 regardless of quality or artist.

Alex_UK
28-09-2010, 22:09
I've bought many good LPs from Sue Ryder shops. They often get whole collections in and price most at £1 regardless of quality or artist.

The local Barnardos does the same - everything is 99p, they know they are underpricing some things but don't really care - it is not worth their time to check in the long run. I offered to go through it before they put it out but I think they are just happy getting people through the door like me regularly hoping for some bargains!

Marco
28-09-2010, 22:20
I've bought many good LPs from Sue Ryder shops.

That's where I buy all me frocks... :eyebrows:

A floral frock and a couple of Frank Sinatra records - what a day out!

Marco.

Barry
28-09-2010, 22:28
Take it Oxfam have upset you somewhat.

I don't find anything worthwhile in the charity shop around here either.:(

Oh yes! - I've been a generous donor to Oxfam over the years, but not any more.

To answer yours and Marks comment, yes I do much better with the other charity shops. My local village 'Little Havens' charity shop (one that caters for children's hospices) sells CDs for 75p or £1 (the latter if they are well known).

The grievance I have with Oxfam is that they, understandably, want to make the most of their assets (i.e. gifts) and so price them accordingly. The trouble with this approach is that it sets up a certain 'knee-jerk' criterion: for example all Decca SXL LP pressings are marked up with a high sales price, regardless of their physical condition.

Furthermore, virtually all of their CDs are sold at £4. I have bought brand new, un-played CDs in mint cases off Amazon for less than this.

Most insidiously; other charity shops are (again understandably) following Oxfam's approach and, for me, pricing themselves out of the market.

Regards

The Grand Wazoo
28-09-2010, 22:29
I do very well out of the Charity shops & have done for years. Oxfam is usually bad, but I do get the odd thing of interest there. The Barnados I go to most commonly is often fantastic! Take a look at some of my Spinning today posts!

oceanobsession
28-09-2010, 22:35
Thing is its cheaper than a dealer, and yes there is a lot of crap but i think
you could crab a bargain and you are not going to do that from a record dealer, but if you have to have it now then they are there to provide a service you pays your money type thing.

The Grand Wazoo
28-09-2010, 22:48
Phil,
This is not always the case with Oxfam, I'm afraid. They have their tame 'bloke who knows about these things' who sees the prices a mint copy of something can be available for (notice I don't say sell for - you can charge what you like but you won't always sell). So, with this info, they'll stick a similar price onto something in whatever condition it might be in. I've seen things in shocking condition for sale at prices way over the odds for a VG copy. The result is that things just sit on the shelves for years.

If they really want to achieve the full potential of their goods they should auction them & let the market decide the price. If they want to sell stuff to me (& I spend a lot on records every year), they'll have to be realistic about it. They could've made £30ish a week from me for the last couple of years, but instead they've sold almost none of what I may have bought. Foolish - that's about £3k lost just from one potential customer.

Barry
28-09-2010, 23:44
Phil,
This is not always the case with Oxfam, I'm afraid. They have their tame 'bloke who knows about these things' who sees the prices a mint copy of something can be available for (notice I don't say sell for - you can charge what you like but you won't always sell). So, with this info, they'll stick a similar price onto something in whatever condition it might be in. I've seen things in shocking condition for sale at prices way over the odds for a VG copy. The result is that things just sit on the shelves for years.

If they really want to achieve the full potential of their goods they should auction them & let the market decide the price. If they want to sell stuff to me (& I spend a lot on records every year), they'll have to be realistic about it. They could've made £30ish a week from me for the last couple of years, but instead they've sold almost none of what I may have bought. Foolish - that's about £3k lost just from one potential customer.

+1

DanJennings
29-09-2010, 06:03
example: I saw a megadeth single in an Oxfam near me....
Symphony Of Destruction on yellow vinyl.

the man in the shop's thought process:
Megadeth - popular band
coloured vinyl = ££££££££

price tag £8
jog. on.

DanJennings
29-09-2010, 06:04
most charity shops, any 7" single will cost maximum 50p

oceanobsession
29-09-2010, 21:08
Managed to get

1. tanita tikaram ancient heart as new 99p
2. holst the planets mint 99p

if only i liked rod stewert, actually i do like every picture tells a story.

Batty
29-09-2010, 22:26
agree that is Rods best work

roob
11-10-2010, 22:53
I have picked up a few decent titles for less than a quid from charity shops but getting them home and sticking them on the player they have all sounded shit, ie full of clicks and pops etc even though the vinyl looked ok. I don't bother looking anymore, tend to buy used vinyl from Amazon or from the various hifi forums.

MartinT
12-10-2010, 05:56
You really need a record cleaning machine if you're going to make regular visits to charity shops for vinyl.

Marco
12-10-2010, 09:13
Seconded. In fact, anyone with a sizable record collection should have one! :)

Marco.

chris@panteg
12-10-2010, 10:21
I found quite a few good 99p bargains of late ' at Oxfam and Sue ryder .

Hi Marco ' a good RCM is on my list of must get's , but apart from the VPI which a M8 of mine has , i guess its between the Okki nokki or Moth.

MartinT
12-10-2010, 11:40
I have a Clearaudio Matrix, bought from Dave Cawley. Very good machine.

Hypnotoad
14-10-2010, 02:08
The local charity (thrift) stores here have an abundance of Barbara Streisand and Herp Albert. I have found a few good ones but I regularly frequent "Half Price Books", a store that buys and sell books, Cd's and records. I have picked up many bargains for two to three dollars each.