PDA

View Full Version : Midlands Bake-Off - any interest?

Macca
11-05-2024, 07:17
We did one back in 2016 which was quite well attended

https://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?47529-MiBO-2016-Photos-Videos-and-Comments

Sadly the venue closed not long after and never re-opened. However I am looking at maybe organising another, possibly at the very beautiful location of Keele University:

https://keele-conference.com/

Sometime over the summer months, July through September.

Excellent facilities, and there's a Marriot hotel adjacent to the campus for anyone who wants or needs to stop overnight.

I thought if we could get maybe twenty people expressing an interest it would be worth going ahead. As per the last one, and Steve's very well received NEBO events, it's a casual get together and about having a bit of fun not solemnly comparing cables or whatever.

So please shout out if you would be interested in attending. If you can, say when over the summer will be best for you. If there is enough interest I'll move on to booking a room. No need for a firm commitment, and there'll be no charge to attend.

Jimbo
11-05-2024, 07:19
Definitely interested. Keele would be great venue BTW

Pigmy Pony
11-05-2024, 08:39
Count me in :)

Ali Tait
11-05-2024, 09:30
Aye would be up for it mate, work permitting.

Macca
11-05-2024, 09:56
Okay, 5 so far. Quarter of the way there.

Barry
11-05-2024, 10:32
Gosh! - was it really 16 years ago?

I might be interested, depending on when in the Summer you are thinking of.

Last time I brought up a fair amount of equipment but not much of it was used, so this time I will only bring a CD player and/or a few LPs.

Macca
11-05-2024, 11:15
Gosh! - was it really 16 years ago?

I might be interested, depending on when in the Summer you are thinking of.

Last time I brought up a fair amount of equipment but not much of it was used, so this time I will only bring a CD player and/or a few LPs.

No it was 2016 so only 8 years - almost.

At the moment September seems favourite for those who have expressed a preference. Would be good to see you and Happy again.

Barry
11-05-2024, 11:45
LoL - I can't even do simple mental arithmetic: must be getting senile!

September sounds good.

Alex_UK
11-05-2024, 12:21
It’s a fair old trek, but depending on when it is I would be a possible.

Macca
11-05-2024, 12:29
Now have 8 plus two 'doubtful but maybe'.

Pigmy Pony
11-05-2024, 15:57
I've just checked my "busy schedule", and apart from 30th August weekend I've got bugger all planned.

Jimbo
11-05-2024, 16:39
Just looking at the rooms available at Keele and they all have nice thick carpet and some have curtains so that's way better than bouncy wood solid wood floor. The Terrace room looks quite good?

Macca
11-05-2024, 17:37
Just looking at the rooms available at Keele and they all have nice thick carpet and some have curtains so that's way better than bouncy wood solid wood floor. The Terrace room looks quite good?

40' X 18' - will be okay if not too many of us.

'The Ballroom' used to be the refectory in my day. They used to do functions in there even back then, so I know the acoustics are good. But it might be a bit too big.

Swann36
11-05-2024, 20:45
I’d be interested any month for me is ok too provided it’s a weekend

Macca
11-05-2024, 20:55
I’d be interested any month for me is ok too provided it’s a weekend

It will be a weekend. Early September most likely.

dave2010
12-05-2024, 10:38
I would be a doubtful or maybe - it's a long way - though it sounds fun. Would probably have to be combined with other activity - I don't really want to drive that far.

Sadly I usually fly these days - which generally means to London. Used to do - and enjoy - trains, but stupidly they often cost more than planes now.

How do the bake offs work? Sounds like some guys and gals bring kit, and LPs or CDs.

Macca
12-05-2024, 11:13
How do the bake offs work? Sounds like some guys and gals bring kit, and LPs or CDs.

Yes, pretty much. Everyone carts their stuff in and piles it up and then we just go from there. Occasionally people bring their full systems.

Pigmy Pony
12-05-2024, 13:11
You forgot to mention there will also be beer.

Barry
12-05-2024, 13:11
Yes, I remember Ali's system being the stand out system. I couldn't believe open baffle speakers could produce the bass that Ali's did. :eek: :youtheman:

Again thinking about it, I complained that I had taken a fair amount of equipment up with me (2 monoblock amplifiers, a preamp, a tape deck and associated cables) but little of it was used. My mistake - whilst I was away having lunch, my gear was hooked up to Alan's Quad 57s, and by all accounts it all worked well together. :)

Pigmy Pony
12-05-2024, 14:18
Yes, I remember Ali's system being the stand out system. I couldn't believe open baffle speakers could produce the bass that Ali's did. :eek: :youtheman:

Again thinking about it, I complained that I had taken a fair amount of equipment up with me (2 monoblock amplifiers, a preamp, a tape deck and associated cables) but little of it was used. My mistake - whilst I was away having lunch, my gear was hooked up to Alan's Quad 57s, and by all accounts it all worked well together. :)

Schrodinger's Quad kit :)

I know at the last NEBO there was some gear that didn't get a play, only so many hours in a day I suppose. But better there being a surplus of kit than not enough.

Halfway Tree
18-05-2024, 18:16
If it's likely to be early September then I could bring the LX521 "ecosystem." I know a few of you have heard them at NEBO, but there may be some that haven't heard Seigfried Linkwitz's last hurrah.

I'll bring the analogue x-over so that analogue front ends can be hooked up to them if anyone so desires.

Gordon.

Ali Tait
18-05-2024, 18:46
Good stuff Gordon, like to hear them again.

Ali Tait
18-05-2024, 18:52

Thanks Barry, yes they did sound good there, shame they don't work at my place. Still have them though, and will soon be moving my gear to my new wife's place, where she's allowing me to commandeer the loft as my man cave. It's the size of the entire house so a decent space to use- only thing of concern is a low ceiling but I guess I can use some room treatment if it turns out to be an issue.

Qwin
22-05-2024, 14:41
In principle I'd be up for it Martin, just depends on the date, festivals and holidays between July/Sept.

Macca
22-05-2024, 17:24
We're looking at first two weeks in September. We have 20 potentials now so I will see what I can book.

Qwin
22-05-2024, 17:34
Unfortunately I'll be in Greece.

Macca
22-05-2024, 17:36
Unfortunately I'll be in Greece.

Well it could be worse I suppose.

Bourney
02-06-2024, 16:11
Count me in Martin and happy to help with any organising.
Might be able to convince my missus to bake a load of scones etc..

Macca
02-06-2024, 16:47
Count me in Martin and happy to help with any organising.
Might be able to convince my missus to bake a load of scones etc..

Cool be good to see you again and deffo if you've got scones :)

Macca
04-06-2024, 17:26
The university is a bust, they've got nothing free in September.

Going to have to try somewhere else. Will keep you all updated.

Jimbo
04-06-2024, 17:50
Bad luck Martin. How about the Hilton?:)

Macca
04-06-2024, 18:16
Bad luck Martin. How about the Hilton?:)

That's next on my list.

Firebottle
04-06-2024, 19:16
I'm in, could bring the Ekta Mk2's.

Macca
04-06-2024, 19:35
I'm in, could bring the Ekta Mk2's.

That would be cool.

Gazjam
07-06-2024, 17:42
My Alfa's currently in car hospital getting stuff done,
If she’s back for September (expecting so) I'd enjoy a drive down and a stay overnight somewhere.

Missed this aspect of stuff since Covid slapped it on the head.
Also, would regret not going :)

Happy to put a bit of kit on the back seat, thinking my Dac and schmamcy external power supply.