PDA

View Full Version : Japan hifi shopping

SLS
15-04-2024, 15:31
We're off to Japan in a month or so. My wife will no doubt be buying lots of ceramics, textiles, etc., our kind of thing, and we have a few days on an artists' island.

Can anyone suggest how I can get my own back, with a nice cartridge or something hifi that is scarce over here and doesn't involve going up a mountain to find it?

Apparently record shopping is pretty easy, but any suggestions for stores in Tokyo?

Wakefield Turntables
15-04-2024, 15:36
Buy some massive horn speakers or maybe something from Kendrick hifi

SLS
15-04-2024, 16:18
Hand luggage? I was thinking a cart, perhaps an Ikeda 9TT.

Barry
15-04-2024, 19:09
I'm not sure if Ikeda are still in business, but there are some excellent audio shops in the Akihabarha region in Tokyo, many of them sell used gear. When I was there in 2012, I saw an used EMT 930 turntable for sale.

I didn't buy any audio gear but I did buy many records at Tower Records (not far from the train station). It has five stories and offers a greater variety of choice than the then London branch. I bought the complete Furtwengler Beethoven symphonies as well a several jazz records.

Have a great time in Japan, it's a lovely country and the Japanese are very friendly and helpful.

SLS
16-04-2024, 10:51
Many thanks. A little searching and there do appear to be some districts for music stores. One is about 20 minutes walk from where we're staying (Hoshinoya Hotel). There is a massive store called Yodobashi in the middle of Akihabara that seems to sell everything and may just be a fun experience. They are big into CD and there appear to be lots of CD-only stores.

I was in Japan back in 1984, drove around the country for 2 weeks. I reckon it's changed a bit.

Per my system post the other day, I think I'm done for hifi components for this house, by a new cartridge never goes amiss. Tend to get a system for a room and stick with it. Had a minor mid-life valve thing a few years ago, but got over it.

rmcin626
16-04-2024, 11:21
If you have a spare few hours, 50 odd pages
https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/vinyl-shops-in-tokyo-japan-and-japan-in-general.340442/page-51