PDA

View Full Version : Wanted - Croft Integrated Amp

loonytunes
14-03-2024, 15:18
Anyone ?

loonytunes
18-03-2024, 16:08
I guess everyone loves their Croft - but just in case ... if you lovely people do have one give me a nudge.

hifi_dave
18-03-2024, 16:52
I recently sold a large amount of Croft I had in stock. It all went quickly, most at full retail and if I had more it would have gone the same way. Croft was great kit.

What I would say is be very careful what you buy, as a lot of s/h Croft has been bodged by various owners. Some of it has gone through several hands with everyone believing they know best and diving in with their soldering irons. Check thoroughly before purchase.

loonytunes
18-03-2024, 19:31
I recently sold a large amount of Croft I had in stock. It all went quickly, most at full retail and if I had more it would have gone the same way. Croft was great kit.

What I would say is be very careful what you buy, as a lot of s/h Croft has been bodged by various owners. Some of it has gone through several hands with everyone believing they know best and diving in with their soldering irons. Check thoroughly before purchase.

It's so sad about Glenn. But yes, this highlights a point, I would rather have an original unmolested Croft even with the inconvenience of having both the volume controls - Glenn was quite genius enough to create a great sound without much further tinkering.

Lawrence001
19-03-2024, 19:34
He did make single volume pot pres on request so having one doesn't mean it's been molested.

Sent from my PCT-L29 using Tapatalk

hifi_dave
20-03-2024, 09:59
He did but very few as the twin pot thing wasn't really such a chore.

What concerns me are the ones which have been bodged by owners putting in 'higher quality' components with the attendant problems.

loonytunes
20-03-2024, 16:34
He did but very few as the twin pot thing wasn't really such a chore.

What concerns me are the ones which have been bodged by owners putting in 'higher quality' components with the attendant problems.

Thanks again - I guess single pot as installed by Croft doesn't matter so much but - funnily enough - I would slightly prefer the twin-pot variant.

hifi_dave
20-03-2024, 17:30
Thanks again - I guess single pot as installed by Croft doesn't matter so much but - funnily enough - I would slightly prefer the twin-pot variant.

Out of the hundreds and hundreds of Croft amps I sold over the decades, you could count the number of single pot hobbies on two hands.

I usually let the prospective customer twiddle with the twin pots and if they didn't like them, we would order a single pot variation. But as I said, the large majority would go for twin pots because they were easy to use and gave a balance facility.

Hope you find one soon.

Westendboy
20-03-2024, 19:38

Can’t help with the OP’s request but I have a Croft super modded pre formerly owned by The Black Adder of this parish, single volume pot, coupled with a Croft series 3OTL. Both were recently serviced by Dave Hunter at Classic Valve Amps. He repaired the fault with the phono stage and installed some rca red base valves in the phono stage. Changes I asked for included replacing Glenn’s toggle switch with some push operated and the captive mains lead on the otl with an input socket. He tested all the spare valves I had and discarded all the weak valves. On completion and bench testing he informed me that he didn’t want to return it to me as he liked it that much. (The combination)

mikeyb
21-03-2024, 11:21
Deco Audio do single pot and remote control conversions on Croft amps [emoji6]

loonytunes
26-03-2024, 20:22
Thanks everyone for replying - I thought I would bump this up ...

Blodger
27-03-2024, 07:34
Deco Audio do single pot and remote control conversions on Croft amps [emoji6]

They did replace a transformer in my integrated and were very impressive and reasonable. Also, Adrian at Audioflair is your man for single or even remote control adaptations. https://audioflair.co.uk/category/croft/

jasonC
27-03-2024, 18:44
There is a croft power amplifier on eBay but it's £1100.
I believe it was the latest version.
At least that's what a friend whose into croft amplifiers told me.

loonytunes
28-03-2024, 10:45
There is a croft power amplifier on eBay but it's £1100.
I believe it was the latest version.
At least that's what a friend whose into croft amplifiers told me.

Yes I've seen that - I would rather save shelf space and have the integrated if ever one arises.

Macca
29-03-2024, 08:51
One here in Germany, ships worldwide

https://www.audio-markt.de/market/croft-acoustics-line-integrated-6498744238

Not ideal I know but given there's not that many out there, there's not going to be any more made, and they are in demand, you might have to go for it if you really want one.

I sold some Croft once, I think the ad was up for about half an hour before it sold. And that was back when it was still in production.

Blodger
29-03-2024, 13:17
You could do worse than this!
https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/croft-7-power-amp.290464/#post-5251368
Same power amp as in basic integrated - problem is you'd need a pre-amp and Croft ones pretty rare, but on the other hand you'd be on the Croft ladder and it's at a good price. At lot of Croft aficionados preferred the basic 7 power amp to the more expensive 7R with the regulated power supply (see discussions on Croft thread on the WAM - when it's up and running!
https://www.hifiwigwam.com/threads/croft.56593/

loonytunes
11-04-2024, 09:00
One here in Germany, ships worldwide

https://www.audio-markt.de/market/croft-acoustics-line-integrated-6498744238

Not ideal I know but given there's not that many out there, there's not going to be any more made, and they are in demand, you might have to go for it if you really want one.

I sold some Croft once, I think the ad was up for about half an hour before it sold. And that was back when it was still in production.

Thanks for that find (sorry slow reply just back from Malta / Gozo holiday) - yes a little expensive as you say I am looking to spend around the £800 mark (if possible) for a line integrated in original condition - I have no need for the phono integrated but will happily buy that if at the right price.

And unlike others who like the convenience of a single pot - would prefer to keep the twin volume control as Glenn designed.

loonytunes
11-04-2024, 09:05
You could do worse than this!
https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/croft-7-power-amp.290464/#post-5251368
Same power amp as in basic integrated - problem is you'd need a pre-amp and Croft ones pretty rare, but on the other hand you'd be on the Croft ladder and it's at a good price. At lot of Croft aficionados preferred the basic 7 power amp to the more expensive 7R with the regulated power supply (see discussions on Croft thread on the WAM - when it's up and running!
https://www.hifiwigwam.com/threads/croft.56593/

.... and thanks for this find on PFM - I would prefer the integrated but that did sell at a nice price!! I would have been too late because I have only just read your post and it's sold!

I shall have a read as to why Croft aficionados prefer the more basic 7 power amp.

So - anyone here reading this and hanging onto their Croft dearly? C'mon let it go and buy something with more features and gadgets - keep up with the times and latest rave reviews :)

hifi_dave
11-04-2024, 10:05
.... and thanks for this find on PFM - I would prefer the integrated but that did sell at a nice price!! I would have been too late because I have only just read your post and it's sold!

I shall have a read as to why Croft aficionados prefer the more basic 7 power amp.

So - anyone here reading this and hanging onto their Croft dearly? C'mon let it go and buy something with more features and gadgets - keep up with the times and latest rave reviews :)
I never had anyone prefer the plain 7 to a 7r in all such demos I did over the decades.

loonytunes
11-04-2024, 10:28
I never had anyone prefer the plain 7 to a 7r in all such demos I did over the decades.

The link does not work for me anyway - would have been interesting to have a read nevertheless.

But as you say Dave - you as an ex-dealer of Croft did not find that to be the case.

Jimbo
11-04-2024, 11:17

I did Dave and in fact I preferred my 7 over the Series 7R monos too!

loonytunes
11-04-2024, 15:18
I did Dave and in fact I preferred my 7 over the Series 7R monos too!

Looking at your signature - you went to town on the Croft pre-amp albeit hooked up to the simple little 7 power amp.

Jimbo
11-04-2024, 15:52
Looking at your signature - you went to town on the Croft pre-amp albeit hooked up to the simple little 7 power amp.

Yes Chris, I have listened to most gear Glenn has built over the years and owned a fair bit of it myself. My Preamp is indeed a pimped 25R so a regulated preamp but it also has the linestage from the RS which was his top model with non inductive resistors.

Advising as to what to buy is tricky as we all like different things and obviously there is lots of choice with the Croft 25 range. I can only speak for myself but I preferred his regulated preamp but non regulated power amps. The regulation in the preamps controls the sound and focusses it a little more but I felt in the power amps it was a step too far for me and that control nailed things down too much - ie too much control!?

The Series 7 power amp is superb and it drives my very large but efficient speakers very well indeed. When I tried the 7R and the 7R monos things tightened up a bit too much for me. I feel you need the control more in the preamp section rather than the power but that is just my opinion.

However the expansive huge soundstage I get and holographic vocals would suggest something is working well with the Series 7.

But some folk like a standard preamp and regulated power amp. It's a difficult one to advise without you listening to both combinations in your own system which is what I did and that was why I went down the route of 25R + and Series 7.

Hope this helps?

loonytunes
11-04-2024, 17:34
Yes Chris, I have listened to most gear Glenn has built over the years and owned a fair bit of it myself. My Preamp is indeed a pimped 25R so a regulated preamp but it also has the linestage from the RS which was his top model with non inductive resistors.

Advising as to what to buy is tricky as we all like different things and obviously there is lots of choice with the Croft 25 range. I can only speak for myself but I preferred his regulated preamp but non regulated power amps. The regulation in the preamps controls the sound and focusses it a little more but I felt in the power amps it was a step too far for me and that control nailed things down too much - ie too much control!?

The Series 7 power amp is superb and it drives my very large but efficient speakers very well indeed. When I tried the 7R and the 7R monos things tightened up a bit too much for me. I feel you need the control more in the preamp section rather than the power but that is just my opinion.

However the expansive huge soundstage I get and holographic vocals would suggest something is working well with the Series 7.

But some folk like a standard preamp and regulated power amp. It's a difficult one to advise without you listening to both combinations in your own system which is what I did and that was why I went down the route of 25R + and Series 7.

Hope this helps?

Yes that helps. Did you ever listen to the Croft integrated (which is a passive pre with 7 power amp in one case)? <-- this is what I am after to save shelf space.

Jimbo
11-04-2024, 17:43
Yes that helps. Did you ever listen to the Croft integrated (which is a passive pre with 7 power amp in one case)? <-- this is what I am after to save shelf space.

Yes I have heard the Croft Integrated. It is very good indeed. The separates just open the sound up a touch more.

Blodger
12-04-2024, 08:51
Just to add to the discussion, I started with the Croft integrated, the power stage being pretty much the same as the 7, then moved on to the 25R with a 7R special - a tweaked power amp with a larger transformer designed I think with Tannoys in mind, then went to the 7R monos. They were all fantastic, and my preference was for the R variants overall but I also loved the integrated - which drove some AVI Neutrons better than a Densen B100 which was rated at over twice the Croft's power! However I do remember on the long Croft thread on the WAM (now sadly mostly inaccessible) several contributors saying they preferred the unregulated power verisons - hence my comment above and confirmed subsequently by Jimbo above. I've no doubt that all of Dave's customers preferred the 7R - as I do - but there are a few who understandably think otherwise. At the end of the day they're both phenomenal amps and it's so sad Glenn is no longer around to build, modify and service them.

Jimbo
12-04-2024, 09:02
I think I may have liked the 7 monos (unregulated) but didn't get to hear these although I did run a mono set up with 2 Series 7 stereo power amps configured to play as monos in my system

It is very sad Rodger that Glenn is not around as I regularly had a banter with him about various things and he was a constant on my hifi journey. He did a great many adaptations and "specials" with his amplifiers to suit the needs and system requirements of the individual, almost a bespoke amplifier builder in many respects. I saw some of the huge monster one offs he built for other people that never appeared publicly as it were. It was great to have someone who would adapt amplifiers to suit your needs.

He was once asked by a customer what was the difference between the 7 and the 7R amplifiers and he simply said the 7R was heavier. That was his great sense of humour.:)

cjm123
12-04-2024, 09:02
I have a original Micro 25 which I got from HiFi Dave :) (thanks Dave!) and it has driven my 50 year old AMCRON/Crown D60 brilliantly but after Glenn's sad passing I wanted a Series 7 to complement my Micro 25. As usual I leave things too late :doh:but all I would say to the OP is they are well worth searching for. In the end I found a Series 7 that needed just a small repair to the +HT supply (probably caused by the original owner had left it on all the time?) and DECO did a brilliant job with the exact original components Glenn used. I then fitted a new balanced and tested JJ Tesla ECC83S phase inverter valve from Watford valves which is again the exact valve Glenn originally fitted.

The result? :wow:Well my AMCRON D60 is no slouch but my Series 7 is more transparent, faster and surprisingly also a little quieter. It also produces more solid and stable images in a wider, deeper taller sound stage and drives my Rega RX3s (also from HiFi Dave..thanks Dave!) with ease. I have also enjoyed returning an icon to its original and fully functioning condition.

I consider myself to be very lucky to have my Croft Micro25/Series 7 and needless to say they aren't going anywhere and so I wish the OP good luck in his search!

Jimbo
12-04-2024, 09:14
I have a original Micro 25 which I got from HiFi Dave :) (thanks Dave!) and it has driven my 50 year old AMCRON/Crown D60 brilliantly but after Glenn's sad passing I wanted a Series 7 to complement my Micro 25. As usual I leave things too late :doh:but all I would say to the OP is they are well worth searching for. In the end I found a Series 7 that needed just a small repair to the +HT supply (probably caused by the original owner had left it on all the time?) and DECO did a brilliant job with the exact original components Glenn used. I then fitted a new balanced and tested JJ Tesla ECC83S phase inverter valve from Watford valves which is again the exact valve Glenn originally fitted.

The result? :wow:Well my AMCRON D60 is no slouch but my Series 7 is more transparent, faster and surprisingly also a little quieter. It also produces more solid and stable images in a wider, deeper taller sound stage and drives my Rega RX3s (also from HiFi Dave..thanks Dave!) with ease. I have also enjoyed returning an icon to its original and fully functioning condition.

I consider myself to be very lucky to have my Croft Micro25/Series 7 and needless to say they aren't going anywhere and so I wish the OP good luck in his search!

I had his original Micro back in 1986 and hooked it up to a Quad 405 Mk ii and then a Leak Stereo 20. Sounded amazing at the time and cost £125! This of course was the amplifier that started it all for Glenn and put him on the road to a long and illustrious career producing some really great amplification that was always great value and competed with gear many times its price.

I did hear his original OTL all valve mono blocks and I think he used the super micro with these. Its was a matter of stand back and light the touch paper. They were beautiful to listen too with a glorious liquid midrange but they did tend to warm the room up a little too much in the summer!:eek:

loonytunes
12-04-2024, 11:40

... are you sure I can't twist your arm? Nah I'm joking - I want the single box Croft Integrated.

loonytunes
18-04-2024, 18:31
A hopeful bump

loonytunes
28-04-2024, 19:27
Hello again - anyone got a Croft Integrated amp for me ?

Wakefield Turntables
28-04-2024, 19:51
Just read this. Long term Croft user here as well. His products help to produce the back bone of my system.

loonytunes
30-04-2024, 14:02
Just read this. Long term Croft user here as well. His products help to produce the back bone of my system.

Yes I see you have a Croft pre-amp - essentially an integrated is a power amp with passive pre so may be a completely different beast to yours.

So I am in a sense wanting to invest in his power amplifier by choosing the integrated build.

Lawrence001
30-04-2024, 16:55
I thought the Croft integrated (as in 7 model) had a valve pre - possibly a cathode follower circuit.

Macca
30-04-2024, 17:38
I agree I think it does have an active pre-amp stage.

loonytunes
30-04-2024, 19:20
I agree I think it does have an active pre-amp stage.

I still think it's a passive pot for the pre (but I could be wrong ...)

loonytunes
30-04-2024, 19:22
Information from this website here: https://audioflair.co.uk/category/croft/

Croft Integrated versions.

The Integrateds have a passive linestage as there is no room for an active buffer stage valve as in the 25 pre-amps. (N.B. Some sellers websites claim the Integrated is a Series 7 and 25 in one box…)

Macca
30-04-2024, 19:45

The Integrateds have a passive linestage as there is no room for an active buffer stage valve as in the 25 pre-amps. (N.B. Some sellers websites claim the Integrated is a Series 7 and 25 in one box…)

That would make sense. I looked at the Stereophile review but it's never made clear in that.

I had the micro-basic and the Series 7 for a short while but the Series 7 kept blowing fuses, did not like the speaker load. I kept the pre-amp for several years though, it was fun with vinyl.

loonytunes
05-05-2024, 18:15
Another wee bump

Jimbo
05-05-2024, 19:06
Sorry to see you still looking Chris, have you asked Adrian at https://audioflair.co.uk, he maybe able to help.

Lawrence001
07-05-2024, 19:38

The Integrateds have a passive linestage as there is no room for an active buffer stage valve as in the 25 pre-amps. (N.B. Some sellers websites claim the Integrated is a Series 7 and 25 in one box…)This is interesting, what I thought was a valve pre stage is actually the valve input stage that is also present in the standalone power amp.

loonytunes
10-05-2024, 11:27
Sorry to see you still looking Chris, have you asked Adrian at https://audioflair.co.uk, he maybe able to help.

No problem - just casually waiting for one to pop up at some point.

I've asked audioflair - no go!

loonytunes
13-05-2024, 09:29
Just so you know I am looking for a Croft Integrated for my second system not the main system.

I already have a collection of two / three box Crofts for use in my main system (25/7 and 25R/7R and 7R mono-blocks) - I just love the sound of them all.

However being daft I don't need them all - but in addition I am specifically looking for the one-shelf space-saving Croft integrated for the second system.

I will in good time sort out which of the Crofts I will keep in the main system, and which to move on (despite me loving them all).

Jimbo
13-05-2024, 10:02
Quite a collection there Chris. I have heard and indeed owned most of those in your collection and they are all superb.

loonytunes
14-05-2024, 08:36
Quite a collection there Chris. I have heard and indeed owned most of those in your collection and they are all superb.

Too much of a collection - I only need perhaps the 25R / 7R combo (plus the integrated I am looking for).

I've tried a Hegel H190 at home as a result of the great reviews - but nope - for me the Croft just obliterates it. Can't win - it has to be Croft.

Jimbo
14-05-2024, 09:05
Too much of a collection - I only need perhaps the 25R / 7R combo (plus the integrated I am looking for).

I've tried a Hegel H190 at home as a result of the great reviews - but nope - for me the Croft just obliterates it. Can't win - it has to be Croft.

Croft gear just seems to get you to the very heart of the recording with great transparency and a live dynamic sound. I think your combo of the 25R/7R sounds just perfect.

donmarrese
14-05-2024, 12:48
Mate, take a trip to the city of Wacky Baccy, strangely clad women trapped in shop fronts, shitloads of tulips and this....

https://www.marktplaats.nl/v/audio-tv-en-foto/versterkers-en-receivers/m2088421939-croft-versterker-handgemaakt-lage-prijs-buitenkans

A Croft line intergrated for 500 euros.... poss no phono, but worth the trip for the above reasons!

My 2p worth....I know.

loonytunes
14-05-2024, 13:12
Mate, take a trip to the city of Wacky Baccy, strangely clad women trapped in shop fronts, shitloads of tulips and this....

https://www.marktplaats.nl/v/audio-tv-en-foto/versterkers-en-receivers/m2088421939-croft-versterker-handgemaakt-lage-prijs-buitenkans

A Croft line intergrated for 500 euros.... poss no phono, but worth the trip for the above reasons!

My 2p worth....I know.

Good find!

Let me investigate that one further (would prefer two volume knobs but it's not a deal breaker).

donmarrese
14-05-2024, 13:22
or you could consider this pair....
https://www.dba.dk/integreret-forstaerker-croft/id-1112721492/

In Denmark...get a boat, swim or fly....works out at £800 for 2 box set...intergrated line and seperate phono....lush!

The last time I popped into a Danish pub...just walked in with me missus, we started talking English...the whole pub went silent...then this familiar looking long bearded blue eye giant of a man turned to face us and roared "Velcome Home Ha Ha Ha Ha"

Just brought back images of pilaging and r*p*....nice people!?

loonytunes
14-05-2024, 14:36

My 2p worth....I know.

I'm trying to get an account on Marktplaats - but the two step verification requirement where it needs your phone number does not have the option of +44 for the UK?

I'm trying to contact the seller (with no joy).

donmarrese
14-05-2024, 15:07
Spoke to one of my buddies @ MI6 and she came up with this....

https://www.facebook.com/arien.reijs/

It could be you... Arien Reijs who lives on Oss, NL.

loonytunes
14-05-2024, 15:09
I've managed to get via the Apple App (rather than the website)

loonytunes
21-05-2024, 09:15
OK still looking patiently ....

loonytunes
11-06-2024, 14:20
Finally got one from eBay (it's been a while) - non-phono version for £700 - perhaps a little bit on the high side of my planned expenditure but there you go!

I guess they are hard to get.

It also has my preferred twin-volume pots too.

Jimbo
11-06-2024, 14:33
Finally got one from eBay (it's been a while) - non-phono version for £700 - perhaps a little bit on the high side of my planned expenditure but there you go!

I guess they are hard to get.

It also has my preferred twin-volume pots too.

Now you just need to buy a Croft RIAA phono stage and you will have a killer combo!

loonytunes
11-06-2024, 19:16
Now you just need to buy a Croft RIAA phono stage and you will have a killer combo!

Yes Croft is renowned for his phono stages - except I am just about all digital now which still works really well with Croft amplification. Croft seems to be the antidote for digital - it compliments the overall sound well making a fine recipe.

Unlikely the Croft will have an r/c - no bother though - I simply turn the pots up to the highest desired level for that day then use the software volume control in the Auralic to tap the volume up/down to suit.