PDA

View Full Version : Croft 25 or 25R preamp (with or without Phono)

beadlesabout
24-01-2024, 21:44
Anyone got one of these to sell?

aybracers
25-01-2024, 14:39
Hi,

I have an early Croft 25 Pre-Amp. It has the older style round knobs plus a mute switch.

This used to belong to Len Gregory (The Cartridge Man) and he used a seperate phono stage. Although this pre amp has the phono stage wiring Len had removed the two ECC Valves so It was just being used as a line pre-amp.It has some custom wiring.

beadlesabout
25-01-2024, 16:33
Thanks for letting me know. I'd prefer a more recent and unmodified unit if possible.

What do you know about the custom wiring and why it was done and do you have a price in mind?

aybracers
25-01-2024, 17:18
Leonard Gregory was also a reseller of Croft equipment and a good friend of Glen's.
I don't know what the custom wiring is meant to do and they are both no longer with us to be able to ask.
Every change made would be to improve the sound.
For example the one valve currently fitted is a genuine old Mullard M8137. The power regulation is much more comprehensive.
I'll soon be able to replace the two missing valves and get the unit tested.
If you send me your email address I can send you pictures

beadlesabout
25-01-2024, 18:39
Thanks - I’ll send a DM with my email address.

beadlesabout
25-01-2024, 18:50
I’m also interested to know of any resellers who still have stock.

loonytunes
30-01-2024, 20:57
I have a whole lot of Croft - and will soon enough whittle it down to one set.

Anyway I have the 25 and 25R preamps along with their matching 7 and 7R power amps "unmodified".

But I am only willing to sell as the pair because that is how they were purchased from Glen.

I don't expect you to want the pair - but here's a note just in case. I am in no particular rush.

I also have the 7R mono-blocks which are awesome - funnily enough it's the mono-blocks I am more likely to sell because they just take up shelf space I could do with having having back.