PDA

View Full Version : WTD: Class D Power Amp

Weeman1973
16-01-2024, 09:30
I fancy trying a decent Power Amp to run my Davone Ray S Speakers.

They’re a 4ohm / 89db sensitivity load so perhaps not the easiest, hence my thoughts about going Class D.

For a pre I’ll probably use my Cayin iDAC6 which has either a transistor or valve output which I feel would be a great match with a Class D amp.

More interested in a ‘branded’ item such as Lindemann, Peachtree, Bel Canto etc. but wouldn’t rule out ‘DIY’ items if they’re nice looking...

Also due to where I’d like to situate the amp, it really needs to be small form factor which is another reason for looking down the Class D route - so, what have you got?

bumpy
16-01-2024, 13:51
I fancy trying a decent Power Amp to run my Davone Ray S Speakers.

They’re a 4ohm / 89db sensitivity load so perhaps not the easiest, hence my thoughts about going Class D.

For a pre I’ll probably use my Cayin iDAC6 which has either a transistor or valve output which I feel would be a great match with a Class D amp.

More interested in a ‘branded’ item such as Lindemann, Peachtree, Bel Canto etc. but wouldn’t rule out ‘DIY’ items if they’re nice looking...

Also due to where I’d like to situate the amp, it really needs to be small form factor which is another reason for looking down the Class D route - so, what have you got?

What is your price range?

Weeman1973
16-01-2024, 14:18
What is your price range?

Would go up to £1000 for the right amp.

ianlenco
16-01-2024, 15:17
With Class D there are lots of brands but not that many actual variations. Some manufacturers use Hypex modules others Ice Power both of which are good and available for DIY too with ready made cases so relatively simple to assemble. Nuprime make their own amp modules and very good they are too. I've used all three types mentioned here, all are good but imho Nuprime are the best.
Good hunting.

Macca
16-01-2024, 18:19
These come in around a grand delivered.

https://apollonaudio.com/apollon-audio-amplifiers/

Weeman1973
17-01-2024, 11:53
With Class D there are lots of brands but not that many actual variations. Some manufacturers use Hypex modules others Ice Power both of which are good and available for DIY too with ready made cases so relatively simple to assemble. Nuprime make their own amp modules and very good they are too. I've used all three types mentioned here, all are good but imho Nuprime are the best.
Good hunting.

Thanks Ian.

NuPrime (NuForce) is definitely something I’d look as only ever read good things.

Weeman1973
21-01-2024, 09:36
Now sorted thanks.