PDA

View Full Version : I'm so happy!

Clive
17-09-2010, 20:51
Two changes have recently taken place in my system.

1) Vic made a tiny but massively significant update to his Salvation deck.

2) I bought a pair of Cunningham NOS 2A3s (not exactly cheap), these are for my DHT preamp. 70 years old (the valves, not the preamp!).

I cannot begin to describe the immense pleasure these two upgrades have delivered. A rich, powerful sound full of detail and atmosphere.

I'm getting some new Mark Grants next week, how much better can this get?

I just had to share....

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e359/cmeakins/1009170003.jpg

Marco
17-09-2010, 21:07
Lol - nice one, Clive! It's always nice to hear things like that.

I know exactly how you feel, as I've had a similar upgrade myself recently with Furutech mains sockets and WBT 0102 Cu RCA connectors fitted to my mains block and MG interconnects/Supra digital coaxial cable respectively. And I know from experience how significant valve upgrades in preamps can be.

So what have you had done to your Salvation, then? :)

Marco.

Clive
17-09-2010, 21:11
Lol - nice one, Clive! It's always nice to hear things like that.

I know exactly how you feel, as I've had a similar upgrade myself recently with Furutech mains sockets and WBT 0102 Cu RCA connectors fitted to my mains block and MG interconnects respectively.

So what have you had done to your Salvation, then? :)

Marco.
I can't give away Vic's secrets but the deck upgrade is to do with the thrust plate in the bearing. Bass is truly awesome, I mean that with a UK meaning, not a weak "it's nice" US meaning.

My WBT 0102's should arrive next week.

Marco
17-09-2010, 21:15
No worries - it's obviously doing the business, which is all that matters. You'll love what the G2000HDs (now supplied with WBT 0102s) do. You are in for a treat! :)

Marco.

Clive
17-09-2010, 21:21
Yep, those are the cables on their way.

I can't begin to describe the pleasure already:

Mingus Ah Um
U2 / Joshua Tree
Clapton / Unplugged

That's a pretty good spread of music. Astounding.

BTW, Vic's latest thrust plate is made from Mpingo. Pretty unique.

John
18-09-2010, 04:37
Thats what it all about Clive pure music enjoyment it what keeps us hooked into all this
I hope to get a Salvation myself in the next 6 weeks and cannot wait to hear it, one of the things I love with Vic he never stands still

Tarzan
18-09-2010, 06:08
Gotta agree with Marco, you are gonna love the Mark Grants- maybe a few words on them when you get them, glad your system is giving you so much pleasure- this is what it is all about:cool:.

Clive
18-09-2010, 07:41
I will for sure describe what I hear when I swap the G1000HD for the G2000HD. Got to listen to more music now!

Ali Tait
18-09-2010, 09:24
Great stuff Clive,funny how old valves seem to sound so good.Steve's '30's 300a's sounded truly amazing at a previous Owston.His old globe PX24's sound great too.Nick speculated that it may be down to the ageing of the metals in the valve,but whatever it is,modern valves just don't compare IMO.

I've had a similar thing doing the shunt mod in my Pre 2 with some AN tantalums.It's really brought things into focus now,and I can't stop listening!

John
18-09-2010, 13:53
For me this is what a good system should achieve also nice when you have a big grin on your face and have that inner wowwwwwwwww going on

Ali Tait
18-09-2010, 15:31
Yes,good isn't it!

goraman
18-09-2010, 17:55
Very cool,good find on the tubes.

Clive
24-09-2010, 20:03
Having been so happy, yesterday I had a disaster. One of my amps was running very hot. A coupling capacitor was leaky, letting 82V onto the grid of a prized WE 300B. Anyway this resulted in me swapping the coupling caps for some AN Silver & Mylar, I've had these for a few years, quite liked them but they seemed over bright at times. With my current system they are spectacular! It's the aural equivalent of 1080p or indeed much more. These capacitors would be around £430 for the pair, I'm really lucky that Peter Q gave me these a few years ago! Currently I'd say they're good value for money.....

My upgraded Mark Grant cables should be with me tomorrow or Monday, I should easily hear any differences now.