PDA

View Full Version : A late presentation

ralphandersen
11-12-2023, 21:00
I made my profile ages ago, so maybe it's time for a presentation.

I listen to jazz (50% of my time) but also British folk, classic rock, indie, stoner rock, electronica, avantgarde, latin, soul, funk and old school hip hop.

I play on Vitavox Bitone 6201 speakers with Heil tweeters and El Pipe-O subwoofer. Elekit 8900 2A3 power amplifier. Luxman CL34 preamp. Thorens 524 turntable with a SPU E pickup for stereo, a Garrard 401 with Ortofon type C for mono and a green Ortofon "SPU" for 78.

I like to build and restore speakers also I have just finished the Elekit which is my first amplifier kit.

My latest project is a wonderful rusty old Vitavox cn123 10 cell horn with a defective S2 driver stuck to it because of corrosion. I am looking for tips to unscrew the driver without using excessive force. Then the driver must be taken apart and clean it. I will probably need to find a new diaphragm.

Best regards
Ralph

struth
12-12-2023, 07:32
welcome Ralph. nice tt you have with the thorens..hope you start posting more

walpurgis
12-12-2023, 07:53
Hi Ralph, glad to see you joining in.

That's an unique system selection you have there, the Vitavox/Heil combo sounds very interesting.

Keep us up to date with your experiments and chat with the members.

(if it was me, I'd try dissolving the corrosion on the S2 thread with a little vinegar, I'd not use heat as it can affect magnets)

Desmo
12-12-2023, 09:50
Hi Ralph, welcome.

Which Elekit did you build? I have the TU-8500 pre-amp, and the TU-8900 Power Amp running 2A3 valves. They are amazing sounding amps and great value for money.

Barry
12-12-2023, 10:00
Welcome to AoS Ralph.

That is a very nice system you have there. The Thorens 524 is not that well known here in the UK - I believe it is based on the EMT 938 turntable. If you can manage it, we would love to see some photographs of your system.

Welcome again
Barry