PDA

View Full Version : The great sounding TANDBERG!

ulfsn
05-07-2008, 21:09
Hi!
As usual in my first thread i will give away a link to the most informative site about Norways old pride: Tandberg!
Just read,look at all the photos,and enjoy!
Hope You like it!:)
http://www.kallhovde.com/akscans/

Mvh Rune:)

Marco
05-07-2008, 21:51
Hi Mvh,

Welcome to the forum :)

Thanks for that link. Very interesting. I like Tandberg gear :smoking:

Do you use any yourself?

Marco.

ulfsn
05-07-2008, 22:29
Thank you for the welcome!!
Now I use:Tandberg TCA 3028 A(pre) 2 X Tandberg 3026 A bridged(amps.app.2x400w).Tandberg TD 20 A SE(reel to reel),Denon 2910(DVD)leading to a Parasound DAC 1600(one of the well hidden secrets of audio DAC`s).Tandberg TCD 910(cassetterecorder).Tandberg TL Studio Monitor.(speakers).Dual 701(turntable) with Sonic Recearch "Sonus S" PU, TCD 4025(CD),Tascam DA 20 DAT-recorder.And one of the definitive top five best FM tuners in the world:Tandberg TT 3001 A!

This is my "more modern"set-up for now.Still , I love the maybe more ear-freindly sound of the even older equipment like The Tandberg Huldra 10 or TR 2075.
I must admit,even if I am at great Tandberg fan,that many of the Pioneer`s,Sansui`s,Luxman`s,Marantz`s,and a few others from the seventies sounds just as good to,in their own ways.
They really don`t make them like that any more!;)

Regards Rune:)
PS-Sorry I wrote "Mvh",just old habit,in norwegian that is a short term for "with freindly regards".My first name is Rune.

ulfsn
05-07-2008, 23:19
Just to give a hint of what I`m in to..This is pictures from my home:gig:

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc166/ulfsn/042008220636.jpg
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc166/ulfsn/042008220735.jpg
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc166/ulfsn/043008080521.jpg
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc166/ulfsn/051008162425.jpg
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc166/ulfsn/051008173031.jpg
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc166/ulfsn/051808103609.jpg
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc166/ulfsn/051808103717.jpg
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc166/ulfsn/061508202721.jpg
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc166/ulfsn/061508202554.jpg
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc166/ulfsn/061508202807.jpg
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc166/ulfsn/061508202836.jpg
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc166/ulfsn/061508202627.jpg
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc166/ulfsn/070108234206.jpg
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc166/ulfsn/070108183046.jpg

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc166/ulfsn/Marantz.jpg

I am sorry for the rather poor quality of this photos,some of them are taken with a mobile-phone.
-But,that`s not all...There are s..tloads of more audio-stuff in this house and the sourroundings.
-Yessss! I have a girlfreind,and an understanding one to;)

Mike
05-07-2008, 23:37
Hi Rune,

Welcome to AoS.... errr, do you think you have enough equipment there? :lolsign:

ulfsn
06-07-2008, 01:03
I don`t understand the question...:lolsign:
Well,it`s something about the time to use it all as well.Most vintage audio does not respond well to not beeing used,so I guess I`ve reached a limit.It also happens,sometimes,that I actually sell some of it.Still,it don`t seems to become any less equipment here,becauce I`m still buying to:doh:

greenhomeelectronics
05-08-2008, 07:29
Wow, thought I had died and gone to heaven for a moment but I can hear the missus nagging me so I must still be alive :-) What a superb collection, I love that litlle "combi", never seen one of those before. I have a fair sized collection of older radios - mainly valve- but nothing like that. How long have you been collecting it all?
Dave.

KMair
05-08-2008, 12:19
What a magnificent collection! How long did it take to aquire it?

Best!

pure sound
05-08-2008, 13:35
Hi Ulf,

I still have a Model 62 reel to reel which is a fine old machine. I also use the Parasound 1600 Dac which is a beast of a thing. Twin PCM63's.
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i318/murrayjohnson/ParasoundDAC.jpg

nat8808
08-08-2008, 21:18
Ah, Good old Tandberg Studio Monitors! Beautiful sounding speakers and fairly unknown in the UK. Wish I still had some to try with the better equipment I now have compared to then - didn't really work in my house share small bedroom either.

I have a 3001,2,3 and 4 system that came with a stand - all apparently bought from Harrods back then. Not in great nick and I'm tempted to sell the bits in order to buy better condition ones later from the US (not the 3004 as that's too hard to find and shall get it fixed up!) It was from a guy who had got it all from his father-in-law who also had the 3005 speakers at one point - they had been thrown out just because of some foam rot in the bass drivers... if only people knew that these things are an easy fix!

niklasthedolphin
09-08-2008, 09:33
I would keep the 3004 too if I had one.

I think Tandberg made some of, if not, THE best gear within limited segment of Hifi.

Tandberg Tuner TPT 3001A is fighting with Day Sequerra Studio and Magnum Dynalab MD-109 to be the best ever FM tuners.

Tandberg TCD 910/911 combo is the best ever cassette recorder/player.
TCD 910 and then 3004, 3014A, 3014 are followers next to no other cassette decks.

The Rest of Tandbergs production were from very good to average.
Never bad and never the best.

I respect the collectors and I respect the brand.

I have the Tandberg TCD 910 and the TPT 3001A
and would like to own the 911 and the 3004 one day when I have enough money and luck to find them.

"dolph"

ulfsn
19-08-2008, 12:01
It`s been some years collecting all this,but enough is enough,so now I try to keep the stuff working-mainly that is..There`s still a few donators knocing on my door now and then,and I just can`t say NO!:)
You probably don`t know of all the norwegian brands..We had quite a few some years ago,but the most famus abroad was Tandberg and Radionette (the little Combi-radio-turntable is a Radionette),and maybe Edda..? They all started out as Radio-factories and developed into tv AND HI-FI as the years went by.Edda ended it`s production in the early sixties,Radionette and Tandberg became the same company in 1972,but the brandnames was kept apart still.The Tandberg company went bankrupped in 1978,an became dividet into several bits and small units as we know it today with Tandberg Data as the biggest.The Hi.Fi unit kept on through different ovners up until apx 2000,but not mutch vere produced after 1998.The latest well knovn product they made was a little amplifier called TROLL.I dont know if it was sold in Gb,but maybe some of you can help out regarding that..?
Excuse my English,I dont use it so mutch,but I hope you get the picture.
Rune:):)

Beechwoods
19-08-2008, 18:46
Rune,

I've been offered a nice condition TR 220 GC which will be useful for a while as I get my Lenco working. Have you had any experience of these units? They were at the budget end of Tandberg's lineup but the turntable was a Dual 1225, I'm not sure how these are rated by folks who've heard them though.

I like the look of the TR220 amp/receiver. It had quite classic design.

Togil
19-08-2008, 19:12
If I remember in Angus MacKenzie's famous cassette deck comparisons of the mid to late seventiesTandberg, Nakamichi and Pioneer were always struggling for supremacy !

Reeler
20-08-2008, 22:55
Hi everyone. I'm a newbie, and I came across this place while searching for answers on my new Tandberg model 62 (well it's new to me).

That's some collection ulfsn , well done.

Basically, my Tandberg model 62 works perfectly as far as transport & playback are concerned.

However, I tried recording a stereo track in both the Hi & low inputs, & while monitoring during recording, there is an amount of distortion on the left hand side in each case.

This is apparent during playback of these recordings also, but playback is fine pre existing recordings.

I tried cleaning the heads, but this hasn't helped, & as a novice, I'm not sure where to start trying to identify the problem. Could it be a valve problem, or is it bound to be something else?

Any advice or help that could be offered in my direction would be hugely appreciated, as I'd really love to get this sexy beast in perfect working order, for my own recordings.

Thank you so much. :-)

ps. I hope I'm posting this in the right place. Maybe I should have started a new thread, but when searching on the web, google sent me straight into this one & ulfsn seems to be quite the Tandberg guy.

Marco
21-08-2008, 10:00
Hi Reeler,

Welcome to the forum :)

We usually ask our new members to pop into the welcome area and say hello first before posting on the main forum but as you've done it here we'll let you off ;)

What's your first name?

Marco.

Reeler
21-08-2008, 12:13
Hi Marco,

My first name is Jerry. Forgive me for not saying Hi in the welcome area. As I said, I was desperately searching for info on my Tandberg, & google sent me right into this thread.

It seems like a great forum, & a great resource for everyone. On the downside, I'm a complete novice when it comes to vintage gear.

I do however, do a lot of recording in my studio here at home. I record in the digital domain, & I try to get some analogue warmth back in to my sound by putting everything through valve compressors & front ends etc.

The Tandberg62 was supposed to help me here too as I was going to bounce everything down to tape, but it's not fit to do so at the mo.

Thanks for the welcome :)

Marco
21-08-2008, 21:02
Hi Jerry. Thanks for that. If you could please add 'Jerry' as your signature underneath posts that would be great so that members can address you by your first name.

Yes Tandberg has some class gear.

You're very welcome on AOS and I hope you have fun :)

Marco.

bucklin
02-09-2008, 05:26
I have or had many Tandberg components and love most of them. I just picked up a pair of TL-5010 floor speakers and I can't find out diddly about them. Any help out there?
Harvey

johnrtd
03-09-2008, 12:16
Hi ULFSN

Nice to see a Tandberg lover around!
For your information we've been using a very special patented Tandberg configuration in some of our amplifiers (A-18 etc.). The fun is that it has the character of a tube circuit!

John

Steve Toy
05-09-2008, 03:16
The fun is that it has the character of a tube circuit!

Despite being a fully-converted tube user I cannot help but think that this is not going to be a good thing. A Warm and woolly sounding ss amp that still has a little grain and sat-on dynamics is what I'm imagining here. I could be wrong of course.

johnrtd
06-09-2008, 13:03
Despite being a fully-converted tube user I cannot help but think that this is not going to be a good thing. A Warm and woolly sounding ss amp that still has a little grain and sat-on dynamics is what I'm imagining here. I could be wrong of course.

Dear Steve

"Warm & Woolly" is NOT how I would describe a good tube amp. Such amps produce an "open" and widespaced sound and, having a large bandwidth, such tube amps perform best in the upper octaves without any harshness.

A difference when measuring is that a lot of "solid state" stuff show ever increasing distorsion when the frequency goes up. Tube amps (again the good ones) show a steady level of distortion even at frequencies over 100 kHz.

The mentioned A-18 power amp shows the same "character" as the latter. So a lot of users compare this with the "tube sound" it reminds them of.

John

Marco
06-09-2008, 18:05
If I may say, John, that was a most succinct summary of the joys of thermionic sonic reproduction :)

Marco.

johnrtd
07-09-2008, 10:14
Well, well, well ........ a succinct thermionic summary.
I already had a headache this morning. So thanks Marco.

John

ulfsn
09-09-2008, 11:30
Hi John!
Exiting news I`d say!!
Can I ask a little bit more about witch patent we are talking about? However,I have no problem atatched to it,if you dont want to,but this is a informative thing to know for all of us who are fond of Tandberg .

johnrtd
10-09-2008, 08:00
The patented circuit was used by Tandberg and Studer/Revox. They had a legal fight over it for some years.
In principle it's a circuit with 4 transistors, kind of symmetrical, all transistors with local feed back so there's no need for overall feed back.
We used it in several designs and perfected it a bit by adding CCS and current mirrors.

John

Spectral Morn
19-07-2010, 11:04
What an amazing collection of equipment this guy had/has? Its a real shame he didn't stick around, 7 posts is not much of a contribution but the photos he posted are very interesting to look at and as such are a big contribution.

I wasn't around at the time so was unable to welcome him to AOS.

The mysteries of why some come and go and others stay.....such is the life of a forum.

Regards D S D L

The Grand Wazoo
19-07-2010, 19:36
Quite some stack of stuff, eh? It's quite a collection, spanning the whole of Tandberg's history by the look of it.

ronjakcs65
27-07-2010, 19:03
Hello All.
I have chance of a Tandberg Stereo Tr220,and Tl15 speaker`s,Record deck,
and a cassette player for £20 should i go for it ?or give it a miss?

Thank`s in antisipation,
Ron

Beechwoods
27-07-2010, 19:46
Ron,

I was given a TR220 a while back, and they look nice, though very big for a music centre. The turntable is a spring suspended Dual. To be honest it's not remarkable - the turntable is quite noisy and the tape deck pretty basic. The TR220 was real budget fare for Tandberg. It's nowhere near the peak of their products; the 3014-A tape deck et al.

I gave my TR220 away... Due to it's size it's not even the kind of thing you can enjoy as a museum piece.

Sorry, but I wouldn't want you succumbing to the allure of the Tandberg brand for that particular model - like I did :doh: :)

ronjakcs65
27-07-2010, 20:24
nick
Thank`s for the advice about the Tandberg music centre,i have a dual
1209 turntable so i will keep that for now.Thank`s for taking the time to reply
all the best nick. cheer`s
Ron

Edward 1
12-10-2010, 07:39
Tandberg TCD 910/911 combo is the best ever cassette recorder/player.
TCD 910 and then 3004, 3014A, 3014 are followers next to no other cassette decks.....
:mex:

...I have the Tandberg TCD 910 and the TPT 3001A and would like to own the 911 and the 3004 one day when I have enough money and luck to find them.

This is my dream:

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/594/tanlq.jpg (http://img89.imageshack.us/i/tanlq.jpg/)

Beechwoods
12-10-2010, 08:01
I would love one of those. It'd certainly be on my list if I won the lottery. Of all the decks out there, it's the only one I don't already have that I'd really like to hear :)

Marco
12-10-2010, 09:58
Hi Edward,

Very nice, but any chance of resizing the picture so it fits most screens properly? ;)

Marco.

michaelhigh
03-11-2010, 02:09
Rune,

I've been offered a nice condition TR 220 GC which will be useful for a while as I get my Lenco working. Have you had any experience of these units? They were at the budget end of Tandberg's lineup but the turntable was a Dual 1225, I'm not sure how these are rated by folks who've heard them though.

I like the look of the TR220 amp/receiver. It had quite classic design.

I have a 1225, sounds great, holds speed well, generally pleasant.

Edward 1
29-11-2010, 13:26
Hi Edward,

Very nice, but any chance of resizing the picture so it fits most screens properly? ;)

Marco.

I would but I can't edit this post. If you are able to erase this big pic, I'll put smaller one (like this one) in a next post:

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff481/j3gor/Tandberg.jpg

Marco
29-11-2010, 13:56
Hi Edward,

I've resized it for you, as I thought it would be better doing that than removing a picture of such an awesome cassette deck! :)

Marco.

Edward 1
02-12-2010, 09:14
Hi Edward,

I've resized it for you, as I thought it would be better doing that than removing a picture of such an awesome cassette deck!

Marco.

Thank you very much! :)

ulfsn
13-08-2011, 00:10
Hi! Back again! Sorry for the rather long break!

Well.The 220 is a ok receiver,but sligtly newer and more "modern"-sounding than it`s preesseor TR 200,witch sounded better-actually.In the 220 they had killed the uniceness in the sound,so to speak.Still,it is a bargain for the money,if you `re looking for something else in the same segment,from the same years.No cheat-watts.
Promice! :I`ll try to follow up this thread now,if there are som more Tandberg folks out there!

The Grand Wazoo
13-08-2011, 00:19
Rune,
It's great to have you back - we've been wondering where you went & just a little sad because we all loved the photos of your collection!
Tell us a little more about some of the choice pieces, why don't you?

Marco
13-08-2011, 01:18
+1!

Rune, where are you from again? :)

Marco.

Beechwoods
13-08-2011, 06:45
Good to have you back Rune!

Folkboy
13-08-2011, 08:31
That's one amazing collection!

ulfsn
13-08-2011, 08:51
Thanks for the new welcome guys!!
My choises are thorned in several reasons.For the first i am a collector to some degree,then comes sound,looks,and the several different soundshapes made by the brand.Tandberg changed the sound in their eq.as years went by,like almost all other brands.
"Modern" eq.can be divided in three,if we are spacious...
-The tube era,from the late 60`to,well-the later 60`...;-) Well tube-sounding stuff with all the precence of tubes in the sound.Theese vere all radioes.(talking about the amps now) But they didn`t stand out as something unike really..Many brands had just as good sounding amps/radioes at that time.
-But then came the 70`with a bang,and they made several receivers with som of the best sounding transistoramps the worlds has ever heard.But they vere all kinda small when it came to power,so it was/is important to match with the right speakers.My favorites from the 70`containing the best,or "right" Tandberg-sound are: Huldra 10 (apx 2x30 w) Tr 200 (apx 2x20 w) TR 1000/1010 (apx 2x 50 w).And a small integrated amp called TA 300,containing the same inside as Huldra 10,but minus the radio-part.All these receivers(amp`s) had brilliant sound witch no one could really match in the same way back then.But of course it is a matter of taste! In my opinion some of the Pioneer stuff came close,and they added a lot more power in their amps,so no wonder they ruled the sales then.Still,have you heard a good Tandberg-receiver from thoose days,you`ll never forget it,if the speakers are the right ones,off course!
They were also fitted with some of the best Riaa`s ever!
later 70`receivers vere,among others TR 2060,TR 2075 and Tr 2080.These three are not quite the same.. The oldest was the 2075(2x75 w)(and a smaller version 2055(2x 55 w).They can easely be recomended if you will get a tiny bit of the old Tandberg-sound,combined with a more modern sound.They are magic enuf- still,but contains a rather poor riaa!
With the 2080(2x80W),all old magic was gone,and this one can be considerd to be a modern sounding receiver in old rapping.Some says it`s cold sounding,but this is not entirely correct,but it will sound cold if they are not taken care of,over the years. Give them a good service,and change worn out parts,and they are not so "cold" sounding..Note that the watt-power are backed with big power supplies,so they keep their promices regarding loads.
This goes for all models,from any year-by the way.
The 2080/TR 2075 mk II (they are the same) also had a very bad sounding Riaa,unfortunately!Note that the latest series of 2080 had,in some cases,bad soldering,and poor contact could create some trouble. The 2080 survived the bankruptcy in 78,and the circumstances considering that was probably to blame for this.The 2080 was continiued well into the eighties alongside the 3000 series,by the new owners of the audio-group from the old Tandberg.

Phu!! Part three considering the 3000 series,and the 4000 series have to wait,as my wife`s calling my name out rather loud from the stairs...
Regards from Norway ,and :) Rune