PDA

View Full Version : Smoking?

sparrow
16-09-2010, 21:32
Been off the fags for 25 days..just wondering if any of the posters on this wonderful forum smoke, Have smoked or would like to quit . I was a heavy smoker of around 40 + a day sometimes more ..I do know for a fact my pretty new sony sacd players working life was cut short due to tobacco smoke.

Beechwoods
16-09-2010, 21:56
I'm an ex-smoker. I smoked for about 14 years, a pack a day most of the time when I smoked straights, though I much preferred rollups, and probably smoked these for about 10 years of that time. I would chain smoke when I could.

I gave up when I found out my little lad was due - he's five now. I gritted my teeth and went cold turkey one day. Surprisingly, it wasn't half as difficult as the times before when I didn't really have any tangible reason to quit. The nicest thing about not smoking is that the house, my clothes, and I don't smell of cigarette smoke. I'm happier knowing I'm not filling myself with toxins, and I find I'm less anxious... I swear when smokers sayit calms them down, they're just referring to the affect smoking has on their state of withdrawal. When you're past that, your body reaches a new metabolism as far as stress and anxiety is concerned.

I'm glad I gave up, there's no real benefit to smoking, IMO.

Barry
16-09-2010, 22:04
Been off the fags for 25 days..just wondering if any of the posters on this wonderful forum smoke, Have smoked or would like to quit . I was a heavy smoker of around 40 + a day sometimes more ..I do know for a fact my pretty new sony sacd players working life was cut short due to tobacco smoke.

Yes ciggie smoke is not good for hi-fi, lungs, air quality etc.

I used to smoke many years ago - probably around 10 a day (and it wasn't only tobacco). Found a pint of beer and a ciggie to be perfect partners, however when I found that I was enjoying smoking less and less, I just stopped.

I'm one of those annoying people who can smoke or not smoke as he wishes. Until recently I would often try out the local cigarettes when I was travelling (was going to say 'fags', but that would have prompted a risqué comment from Marco). I would usually smoke the last ciggie in the departure lounge of the airport and on arrival back in the UK, not touch another cigarette - without any withdrawal symptoms.

Stick with it Sparrow - you may find it tough and hard going for about a month, but you'll be glad you did.

Regards

Marco
16-09-2010, 22:29
I only do de ganja, man :peace:

Anyone for mushie tea? :eyebrows:

Marco.

webby
16-09-2010, 22:35
My dad smoked for 40 years plus. No way he was gonna stop. I detest smoking. 3 years ago I provided him with a grandson and told him that I didn't want him to smoke around him and pointed out that his clothes and hair would smell of smoke and if he were to hold the baby, then the baby would smell of smoke too.

I stopped short of actually asking him to stop smoking, but that's what he did. What's more, he did it instantly. This was 3 months before baby was due.

If I'd known he could just stop like that, I'd have asked him 30 years ago when me and my sis were kids!

Still, I am grateful that he did stop.

Spectral Morn
16-09-2010, 22:40
Never have and never will but I do like the smell of Cigar smoke.....:scratch:

Regards D S D L

Techno Commander
16-09-2010, 22:57
Anyone for mushie tea? :eyebrows:

Marco.

Only if you have an amp with blue VFD VU meters.:)

Marco
16-09-2010, 23:19
Yeah baby, den we can bask in da glow and imagine some real weird shit's goin' down.... :exactly:

Marco.

The Vinyl Adventure
16-09-2010, 23:22
I smoke, I don't like it, but babys soon ... Then I'll quit ...
Mushy tea indeed ...
Not long now and I'll be out with the golf club and a few balls to tap round the common ...

colinB
17-09-2010, 00:04
On the day of the mushie selling ban a few years ago, a friend of mine thought it a good idea to go down Camden market , buy a packet of Mexicos finest mycelium and make a brew. She then dragged me around Brixton night spots at 2 in the morning. Ive never been quiet the same since.

Barry
17-09-2010, 00:24
On the day of the mushie selling ban a few years ago, a friend of mine thought it a good idea to go down Camden market , buy a packet of Mexicos finest mycelium and make a brew. She then dragged me around Brixton night spots at 2 in the morning. Ive never been quiet the same since.

Does that explain your choice of avatar? :)

colinB
17-09-2010, 00:38
Er, yeah i must change that one day. I saw that techy in Harrods for sale , two grand i think and i just thought how ironic a symbol of the 3rd summer of love , a period of time when i thought i was sticking one up to the "man" , sitting in a case encrusted with sarkovski jewels. Very sad.

hifinutt
17-09-2010, 05:27

congrats , hope it continues

John
17-09-2010, 07:16
I never got hooked just used to have the odd one with a drink I not had a cig for a good few years
Used to smoke a bit weed too but not done that for even longer
Just give either Red Chimay, Rochefort 8 or Westmalle Triple and I am pretty happy

Ali Tait
17-09-2010, 10:15
Yep I'm an ex smoker too.Gave up three years ago,just went cold turkey.Best way to do it IMO,you may suffer more initially,but you get over it more quickly.

I've had my share of mushie tea Marco!

DSJR
17-09-2010, 10:17
John, I know you've had a heck of a problem giving up over the years and I can't add much to what I've already said before, especially if you actually like the habit, as some undoubtedly do.

Just think of all those TeeDee "Cup-Discs" you'll be able to buy on Eastgate Music with all the money you'll save :lolsign:

Love to all on the TeeDee forums, I'm starting to miss 'em.......

Techno Commander
17-09-2010, 11:43
a friend of mine thought it a good idea to go down Camden market , buy a packet of Mexicos finest mycelium and make a brew. She then dragged me around Brixton night spots at 2 in the morning.

Sounds like my kind of woman. :)

colinB
17-09-2010, 18:30
And mine. Unfortunately she swapped me for a younger Brazillian model:doh: