PDA

View Full Version : RIP Shane MacGowan

Barry
30-11-2023, 18:50
Sad to learn of the death of Shane MacGowan, sometime lead singer with The Pogues, aged 64.

RIP Shane.

Pigmy Pony
30-11-2023, 19:23
Yes, sad news. I might say 'taken too young', but I'm surprised he lasted this long. His lifestyle certainly took him to the limit and beyond. He was actually 65, born on Christmas Day, exactly 7 days older than me.

I was never a big fan, but he nevertheless had real talent, and his band The Pogues was the furthest I have ever travelled for a single gig, Preston to Harlow Essex and back on the same day. Gig was well worth it, great party vibe.

Macca
30-11-2023, 19:38
Thought he was older.

Wakefield Turntables
30-11-2023, 19:50
I'm surprised he lasted so long.

Barry
30-11-2023, 20:48
Yes, sad news. I might say 'taken too young', but I'm surprised he lasted this long. His lifestyle certainly took him to the limit and beyond. He was actually 65, born on Christmas Day, exactly 7 days older than me.

I was never a big fan, but he nevertheless had real talent, and his band The Pogues was the furthest I have ever travelled for a single gig, Preston to Harlow Essex and back on the same day. Gig was well worth it, great party vibe.

Oops - sorry about the mistake. :doh:

I wasn't a big fan, but I do have The Pogues first album. And of course "Fairytale of New York" with the late lamented Kirsty McColl.

I would have loved to have seen them live.

Lawrence001
01-12-2023, 10:10
They said on the radio he grew up in Kent and went to Westminster school, I had no idea!

Barry
01-12-2023, 10:19
They said on the radio he grew up in Kent and went to Westminster school, I had no idea!

He won a scholarship.

The Pogues were not an Irish band despite their style and influences.

Pete The Cat
02-12-2023, 12:20
His wife is quoted by the BBC as saying that he was a "contradiction" due to loving both England and Ireland. That hybrid was perfectly reflected in the music with that unique blend of Gaelic folk and urban punk. Rum Sodomy & The Lash was an album that managed to appeal to a wide range of folks.

There's a real poetry at work in some of his lyrics.

RIP.

Pete