PDA

View Full Version : Lightspeed revisited

Covenant
16-09-2010, 20:43
Its odd how things come and go in hifi. A couple of years ago everyone got excited about the Lightspeed Attenuator and then it sort of fizzled away.
Its a shame because its a great addition for very little money. This week I took mine out of my system for a week just to see if I missed it. Well I did-big style. As soon as I reconnected it the soundstage widened and deepened.
So, to anyone looking for a mini-project for the winter please read the Lightspeed thread, you won't be disappointed.

Puffin
18-09-2010, 09:12
Seconded.

nat8808
28-09-2010, 17:48
What did you replace it with? And is that the attenuator using LED's onto LDRs?

Someone I met via Ebay (buying their turntable) has some top-end equipment and was talking about transparency of his DartZeel pre-amp. On reading about them, they use light as the control mechanism (opto-couplers probably) to change the entry point into a resistor ladder - effectively a stepped, hardwired attenuator but with no contacts.. Was briefly trying to think how they work.

Covenant
04-10-2010, 21:17
Sorry, I had forgotten about this thread. I didn't replace it with anything as my amp is integrated. You should read the propert thread here:http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3598&highlight=Lightspeed