PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer PD-S703 Opamps question

CageyH
01-10-2023, 11:17
Is the standard Opamp only in the analogue side of the output, or does it also have an effect on the digital side?

I have a spare Burson Audio V6 Vivid that I am tempted to graft into the circuit.

CageyH
01-10-2023, 12:37
I had some time to kill, so I have fitted a DIP8 socket to the PCB, and installed a Burson V6 Vivid in it.
As the case was open, I also lost the standard captive power lead, and fitted the spare Mark Grant DSP2.5 I had, soldering the end directly to the CDP input.

The best thing is that I have put it all back together and it still works. :)
Spinning my first CD, Faithless - To all new arrivals and it sounds superb. No idea if it is much different from before, but the bass “seems more powerful.”
I am quite happy with the mods, and I am now tempted by a clock upgrade, but ideally would need to find some instructions on how to do this.

Macca
01-10-2023, 15:49
I did a clock upgrade, went from this:

https://i.ibb.co/VpWVnF6/clock-1.jpg (https://ibb.co/JFRn6YZ)

To this:

https://i.ibb.co/CW8f5Kw/clock2.jpg (https://ibb.co/hC9SRFg)

Seriously though have you not considered getting a more modern player? I know it seems like five minutes ago to us but it's from 1994 which was almost 30 years ago.

CageyH
01-10-2023, 16:08
Is a modern player going to be any better?

And a new clock will cost me €150. How much will a new player cost me?
I quite like the sound of the one I have….

Macca
01-10-2023, 16:13
Is a modern player going to be any better?

They tend to have lower jitter which is what the clock thing is supposedly all about.

Does your Pioneer have Legato Link? I always thought that was audible and not in a good way.

CageyH
01-10-2023, 16:16
It does. I prefer this to my Alpha 7SE, so as I have two CD players, I have little interest in a 3rd. ;)

Macca
01-10-2023, 16:23
It does. I prefer this to my Alpha 7SE, so as I have two CD players, I have little interest in a 3rd. ;)

Oh come on - You don't need to really worry about how many CD players you have until it hits double figures. :D

CageyH
01-10-2023, 18:01
So what would be the suggested upgrade/new CD transport?

struth
01-10-2023, 18:07

ripping and streaming lol

its cheap, and quality is same. its easier too. putting cds into a drawer and back into a box is something that gets old quite fast

CageyH
01-10-2023, 18:29
I am not sure that ripping and streaming is better.
Maybe a dedicated streamer, built for only that would be, but the sound coming from the old PD-S703 now is lovely.

Macca
01-10-2023, 18:49

Not sure it would be an upgrade of any note if at all. I always thought the Legato Link made the top end a bit too soft and rolled off but I was a lot younger then so maybe I would not even notice it now. Plus you like it anyway.

I blind tested streamed cd vs cd in the transport the other day, I was just guessing as to which was which. So local streaming is/can be on a par all else being equal. The streaming services like Tidal, I don't know about that.

Lawrence001
02-10-2023, 06:16
Did you find the Marantz players of the period (KI Sig etc) a bit soft or rolled off too Martin?

Sent from my PCT-L29 using Tapatalk

CageyH
02-10-2023, 16:21
I have just ripped a CD using EAC, using a pretty accurate Asus Blu-Ray drive, and the ripped file has less impact, and it all seems very close. It is a pain ripping CDs, but I suppose you only have to do it once.

struth
02-10-2023, 16:40
I have just ripped a CD using EAC, using a pretty accurate Asus Blu-Ray drive, and the ripped file has less impact, and it all seems very close. It is a pain ripping CDs, but I suppose you only have to do it once.

it should sound just same, depends of course to a degree on the program your playing it from etc

Macca
02-10-2023, 17:11
Did you find the Marantz players of the period (KI Sig etc) a bit soft or rolled off too Martin?

Sent from my PCT-L29 using Tapatalk

I only have 2 Marantz players, a 67SE and a 54. I don't think either are soft in the top but I'm not keen on the 67SE at all. It sort of paints in bold strokes with a bit of added glitter. No real experience of the KI players but I always thought KI was full of it when I read interviews with him. Good marketing man but that's it.

The 54 sounds lovely but lacks a bit of LF impact. Certainly not hard and harsh even though it's a very early player.

Sony and Technics players have always been my favourites.

CageyH
02-10-2023, 17:25
A friend bought a KI Sig CD player when they came out.
He invited me and another friend round for a listen.
5 minutes was enough to agree it needed to be boxed up and return. He did not like it either.

JimC
03-10-2023, 06:53
it should sound just same, depends of course to a degree on the program your playing it from etc

I've listened to a few and I have to say Red Book sounds so much better on a dedicated CD Player.

J.C.

eldarvanyar
06-10-2023, 23:00
I have read many times that reviewers and other people think that a dedicated CD player sounds better than streaming, even with the high definition files.
DACs can sound different in different players though.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk

Macca
07-10-2023, 06:32
I have read many times that reviewers and other people think that a dedicated CD player sounds better than streaming, even with the high definition files.
DACs can sound different in different players though.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk

you have to compare like with like though. If the mastering is different there will be audible differences. If not then it's unlikely. Most reviewers don't have the first clue what they are doing or talking about.

Barry
07-10-2023, 07:54
Most reviewers don't have the first clue what they are doing or talking about.

Sad, but true! :lol:

Theadmans
10-10-2023, 16:00
I used to have a Pioneer PD-S705 which was similar to the Pioneer PD-S703...

...used as a transport with the 90s era John Westlake Dacmagic 2 MKII to good effect.

There is some useful info here on the PD-S703:-

http://www.lampizator.eu/lampizator/references/Pioneer_703/pioneer703.html

Lawrence001
10-10-2023, 20:08
A friend bought a KI Sig CD player when they came out.
He invited me and another friend round for a listen.
5 minutes was enough to agree it needed to be boxed up and return. He did not like it either.Was it boring or something else? That's my memory but it could have been the other equipment, and my tastes have changed over the years.