PDA

View Full Version : Mordaunt Short ms10I vs ms5.50 thoughts?

Gramophonic
20-09-2023, 06:58
A friend has a pair of mordaunt short ms 5.50*speakers that he wants to give me, however not much opportunity to demo. I have a pair of ms10i classics, obviously the 5.50s are floorstanders not standmount but the classics give me a great sound for classical music which is mostly what I listen to. How might the larger speakers compare? anyone had any? Friend's wife is nagging about the size so he plans to swap speakers! My main concern is that the larger ones may be more boomy, they definitely has more bass! I heard them at his house but his system isn't mine and we have different musical tastes.

walpurgis
20-09-2023, 07:09
Can't your friend bring them round for you to try?

Gramophonic
20-09-2023, 07:22
He lives ages away and can't visit often. That would be ideal but I'm also just curious to hear people's thoughts on these speakers.

Beobloke
20-09-2023, 11:51
They're very good. I'd say they'd be a pretty decent upgrade from your MS10is

Gramophonic
20-09-2023, 12:56
They're very good. I'd say they'd be a pretty decent upgrade from your MS10is

Are my fears of less sweet mids/treble unfounded with bigger speakers, then?

Lawrence001
20-09-2023, 18:07
There's a potential issue that I put more in the psycho-acoustic category than the actual frequency response. The MS5.50 may have just as good treble (and I had the MS5.30 and MS25i IIRC so can testify) but when you add bass the sound can be less fast and dynamic to the listener. This is why lots of people like Linn Kans and Naim amps, you could stick a bigger speaker on with the same tweeters but they will say they sound slow and plod along.

The MS5.50 had a transmission line IIRC I always wanted to try a pair as I really liked the 5.30.

Sent from my PCT-L29 using Tapatalk

Gramophonic
20-09-2023, 18:13
My wife has just reminded me I was moaning about too little bass on the ms10s before, so maybe this is exactly what I need! Thanks for your comments! I really think MS are very underrated.

There's a potential issue that I put more in the psycho-acoustic category than the actual frequency response. The MS5.50 may have just as good treble (and I had the MS5.30 and MS25i IIRC so can testify) but when you add bass the sound can be less fast and dynamic to the listener. This is why lots of people like Linn Kans and Naim amps, you could stick a bigger speaker on with the same tweeters but they will say they sound slow and plod along.

The MS5.50 had a transmission line IIRC I always wanted to try a pair as I really liked the 5.30.

struth
20-09-2023, 18:14
MS made decent stuff. if your room is of decent size i'd think they will be an improvement. for money they are worth a try

Lawrence001
20-09-2023, 21:37
Pretty sure these speakers were designed by a team overseen by Robin Marshall (ex Epos) when he was at MS, and the connection shows. They don't have the same kudos but they are from the same breed.

Beobloke
26-09-2023, 10:35
Are my fears of less sweet mids/treble unfounded with bigger speakers, then?

No, there shouldn’t be.

The quality of the mid and treble is down to the design of the loudspeaker and not how big it is!