PDA

View Full Version : TEAC VRDS 701T - Review

Macca
17-09-2023, 12:52
https://i.ibb.co/Q6sYBj5/teac1.jpg (https://ibb.co/0fPYNVw)

I took delivery of this unit yesterday morning and have already put a fair few hours on it. Still, it's maybe a bit early to do a review but there's nothing else out there right now as this is a new product, so I thought I would post up my thoughts so far.

You can read TEAC's blurb here on their website https://teac.jp/int/product/vrds-701t/top

I was looking for a replacement for an Audiolab CDT6000 transport for two reasons. Firstly I find the slot-loading irritating. I often listen in low light and sometimes it's really hard to find the slot - as the bishop said to the actress. I don't like the way it grabs the disc, or how it spits it out.

Secondly I'm not keen on the look of the Audiolab. It's not an expensive unit in the scheme of things, so you can't expect too much, but I don't like the blue display which looks like surplus from 1990s washing machine stock, or the utilitarian fascia.

Thirdly (okay, there's three reasons) the 'eject' button is clustered with the others meaning instead of pressing 'play' I sometimes eject the disc I have just put in.

So first world problems it's true, but why have something that irritates if you don't have to?

I spent a while looking for alternatives. Surprisingly there are quite a few CD players and dedicated CD transports on the market and new ones seem to appear every couple of months. My criteria were:

No blue LEDs or displays
No LCD screens
Must be draw loading or top loading
Must look good overall.

Price wasn't really a factor, I was happy to pay as little as possible but I was prepared to go quite high to get exactly what I wanted.

Sadly, there's some dreadfully ugly or painfully bland equipment out there these days, at all price points. This meant the conditions I imposed reduced the choice to just two options. Moon 260D https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/moon-neo-260d-transportdac/ or this TEAC unit.

The Moon looks just a bit too blingy in the modern idiom whereas the TEAC has more of the old school 'Faux Pro' look with its grab handles and orange display, which appeals to me. So, selection made.

Build Quality:

This is TEAC's flagship unit and costs the thick end of 2 grand. So you'd expect this to be top notch. Is it?

Well, nearly. The case is solid and well made, but the grab handle are only for show and the manual warns against using them to pick up the unit.

The drive system is, of course, the latest TEAC VRDS anti vibration device (the clue's in the name) but the draw itself is as plasticky and flimsy as something you would find on a no-brand DVD player. Okay so this makes no difference to sound quality but in my view it's not acceptable on a 'flagship' unit.

Otherwise though, no further complaints. The unit is solid and heavy, there's no flex whatsoever in the back panel, and the mech is totally silent in use. The anti-vibration feet are aesthetically acceptable. There's been a trend away from using proper 'Japanese' feet on equipment recently, which is dismaying.

I'd like the option to rack-mount but due to the design of the side panels (see photo below) that's not possible, the unit will need a tray.

The manual is substantial and does include diagrams of both front and back of the unit with all features labelled. I have noticed that some manufacturers don't seem to feel the need to provide these anymore. Wrong!

Disc reading is fast, not quite as fast as CD players from the 80s or 90s, but you're not standing around for ever whilst it whirrs and clicks like R2-D2. Some units are unacceptably slow in this regard.

Only CD and MQA CD (good luck!) are supported, there's no provision for SACD or DVD-A.

Inputs are Coaxial or optical SP/dif. only, no AES or anything exotic. You can attach an external master clock though, and there is trigger option to turn it on and off with other devices at the same time.

I've attempted to take some close up pics of the device:

https://i.ibb.co/02XJL48/teac2.jpg (https://ibb.co/tKhC6jk)

https://i.ibb.co/NCVL6r1/teac3.jpg (https://ibb.co/g9jDMdv)

https://i.ibb.co/X4Y0QvR/teac4.jpg (https://ibb.co/fSD6gPw)

Sound Quality:

Equipment used -

Topping E30 DAC
Philips ABH 280 pre-amp
Krell KSA 50S power amp
JM Lab Focal Elektra 926 loudspeakers
Cables - Bigbottle Spotfire analogue interconnects and speaker cable. Gotham coaxial digital cable.

Some of the recordings used to demo:

Michael Jackson - 'Thriller'
Was Not Was 'What's Up Dog?'
Black Grape - 'It's Great When You're Straight, Yeah.'
Donald Byrd - 'Street Lady'
Jethro Tull - 'Heavy Horses'

Okay - so it's a CD transport, noughts and ones, there's no analogue output - so how can it have a 'sound'?

Well from a technical point of view there's two possible ways - it could transmit noise from its power supply along with the digital signal (unless using optical connection). Or it could corrupt the digital signal causing increased distortion.

You wouldn't except either of these to be the case in any competently designed transport, unless the build budget was just too low to do it properly. Obviously that can't be an excuse with a transport costing £2K.

Nevertheless I did perceive the TEAC to sound different to the Audiolab it replaces, although certainly my totally subjective comments below should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Initially I was a little underwhelmed compared to the Audiolab. The Audiolab is quite 'enthusiastic' in its presentation, whereas the TEAC is more laid back. As time went on and I acclimatised I felt that the TEAC, although giving a drier presentation, was a more relaxing and involving listen. Small cues like the ambience of the room or vocal booth around a vocalist are more obvious. Bass seems a little deeper, more solid and forceful.

This was all very subtle and if you are thinking about upgrading from the Audiolab to this purely for sound quality I think I would say save your money. Although the small differences may still be worth it to you, especially if you do find the Audiolab a bit fatiguing in a long session.

The TEAC/Topping combo reminds me a lot of the Sony SCD XB790QS that used to be my daily driver until it got temperamental - detailed, sophisticated and slightly sweet.

Conclusions:

It's not the 1980s anymore and 2 grand for a component doesn't get you as much as it did back then, when you could get some top end Sony ES for that kind of money. And make no mistake, that Sony flagship stuff still sits above this TEAC for build quality, although it would probably be up in the five figure price bracket nowadays - maybe not really comparable.

So let's not expect too much. A more solidly made loading tray should have been provided, otherwise, for the money, it's acceptable.

The look is great IMO, but of course that's totally subjective.

Sound quality is flawless, as you'd expect. To sum that up I'd say 'Dry, slightly laid back, slightly sweet, detailed, refined.'

Maybe that would change with a different DAC, lots of potential fun there for the chronic box-swapper.

On balance, if you want a good looking high end transport, I can recommend this TEAC.

Puffin
17-09-2023, 13:03
Nice write up. It could of course be early days so far as SQ is concerned and as you say a different dac may well bring a different presentation. This is my experience anyway.

Pigmy Pony
17-09-2023, 13:38
Good write up Mart. Ok I'll be the first to say it: Maybe the sound will change after a few more hours of burn-in :D:sofa:

I don't agree with your comments about how we shouldn't expect much from a transport that "only" costs £2k - that is a fair bit than most would throw at a decent player. And the Sony ES player you mention, was probably the price it was due to the economies of scale (or rather lack of) - I'm betting that if they brought it out now using the exact same components (or modern equivalents) the price wouldn't be much different.

Could the 'plasticky' draw be a necessary part of the whole VDRS thingy? Maybe other materials weren't compatible due to weight or resonances. Just a thought.

struth
17-09-2023, 13:49
the new external mercury cd rom burner i got has a all metal case but a plastic drawer too, although its fairly chunky. i think much of it is lg made tbh and have to say its very quiet and has great sound/pics etc, so it may be plastic for a reason; im inclined to think its for saving dosh tho.

walpurgis
17-09-2023, 14:07
Interesting read. Sounds like it's up to the job! See how it gets on with other DACs if you can mate.

Barry
17-09-2023, 14:17
Excellent write up Martin.

Regarding 'burn in', that should only take a couple of hours at the most, but if you are that concerned put in a disk, select continuous play (if you can do that) and leave it to run overnight.

I too would be interested to know how it performs with other DACs.

Macca
17-09-2023, 14:58
I only have one other DAC, a Soncoz SGD-1, which cost considerably more than the Topping but to me sounds exactly the same.

Maybe I will swap it in next weekend and report back.

Macca
17-09-2023, 15:05
Good write up Mart. Ok I'll be the first to say it: Maybe the sound will change after a few more hours of burn-in :D:sofa:

I don't agree with your comments about how we shouldn't expect much from a transport that "only" costs £2k - that is a fair bit than most would throw at a decent player. And the Sony ES player you mention, was probably the price it was due to the economies of scale (or rather lack of) - I'm betting that if they brought it out now using the exact same components (or modern equivalents) the price wouldn't be much different.

True, Sony were a huge hi-fi operation back them, but that ES kit was all made in Japan whereas modern day TEAC have the cost advantage of manufacturing in China.

I'd think those two things would at least cancel out, but maybe not.

I have a Sony X505ES player here and there's no question it's a league above the TEAC. All metal disc drawer and little LEDs embedded in the buttons to indicate use.

http://www.thevintageknob.org/sony-CDP-X505ES.html

And that wasn't even the top of the range back then!

Nobody is doing anything like that now, not at any price.

struth
17-09-2023, 15:14
I only have one other DAC, a Soncoz SGD-1, which cost considerably more than the Topping but to me sounds exactly the same.

Maybe I will swap it in next weekend and report back.

that has a balanced connection i think.. got reasonable writeups

allthingsanalogue
18-09-2023, 20:37
I did buy the Moon and only had it less than 3 weeks. It was absolutely incredible sounding and would still have it but it developed a fault or possibly from new but the dealer refused to replace it as it wasn’t the distributors (Renaissance Audio's) policy and they insisted on inspection and repair. Maybe would have been ok had I not have lived over 300 miles away!!!

In the end I had to point out the sale of goods act and I my amazement the dealer emailed me on Saturday saying they’d ordered me a new one, :) but on Monday RA said 'no new one' had been ordered :( and by Tuesday the dealer emailed me to apologise for misleading me! :scratch:

I still don’t understand why they were happy to refund me but not replace as I could just simply have ordered another one, especially as I paid on finance so they actually had to send me the cash!

Very annoying as it was the best cd replay I’d ever owned.

I since ordered the Denon DCD-A110 from a proper dealer, Fanthorpes but am still waiting for that atm!

hifinutt
21-09-2023, 18:44
sounds like you got better treatment than this guy

they wont even refund him !!

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/avondale-rms-230-monoblock-amplifiers.284389/

Macca
21-09-2023, 18:59
sounds like you got better treatment than this guy

they wont even refund him !!

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/avondale-rms-230-monoblock-amplifiers.284389/

I know Les, and I'd be surprised if there isn't some of that story missing.

Anyway it has nothing to do with the TEAC.

hifinutt
22-09-2023, 15:40
yes seems there is always 2 sides to a story !!

Jimbo
29-09-2023, 05:41
Good to know you got great results even with the humble Topping DAC. Makes you wonder if it really is worth spending much money on DACS and just upgrade your silver disc spinner?

Pigmy Pony
29-09-2023, 06:31
Good to know you got great results even with the humble Topping DAC. Makes you wonder if it really is worth spending much money on DACS and just upgrade your silver disc spinner?

Personally I would go down a similar route as Martin and concentrate my funds on a player or transport that was a pleasure to use and felt like it was built to last. And only throw decent money at a DAC if it could be demonstrated to bring improvements that I could hear.

Macca
29-09-2023, 06:46

I took the TEAC round to Oli's yesterday so he could have a go on it and he's bought one for himself the same day.

Jimbo
29-09-2023, 06:56
I know a few folk have been keen on the Audiolab CDT which is a cheap way of revitalising those shiny discs. Funny how things come round in circles:lol:

Double Homonym just for good measure early in the morning.:)

The Teac looks to be a few notches up from the Audiolab especially with its VRDS technology. Interestingly Teac are very keen on vibration control and have gone to some lengths to reduce it even in their amplifiers by employing special panel assembly technology to reduce impact of vibration between top, bottom and sides! I have been finding benefits in this area for some time with my own vibration damping in my amplifiers, but I digress!

Macca has always held out for those silver discs even when the world and his dog moved to either FBA or streaming. I never liked streaming apart from its research benefits. There is certainly a revitalised interest in CD probably because so many folk have them and they cost peanuts to pick up second hand. New prices not so good.

I think a CDT would be a good move Steve if your into digital and don't want too much complication with all the FBA route.

Jimbo
29-09-2023, 06:59
I took the TEAC round to Oli's yesterday so he could have a go on it and he's bought one for himself the same day.

Well it validates your long held belief and continued use of CD. Maybe your reticence to go down the FBA route has saved you some complicated digital shenanigans and some cash!

Macca
29-09-2023, 08:15
Well it validates your long held belief and continued use of CD. Maybe your reticence to go down the FBA route has saved you some complicated digital shenanigans and some cash!

Actually we did compare CD from transport to same CD copied to the hard drive and played back through the streamer. Both playing simultaneously and swapping between them. We even did blind test. I could not relaibly distinguish between them.

My preference for CD doesn't directly have anything to do with SQ, I think local streaming just as good.

I stick with CD because:

1) I don't need to involve a computer with all their irritating glitches. 'Why isn't this working, it was working yesterday!'

2) Streaming services often don't have a choice of mastering - you get what you're given. Sometimes they do not have the artist or recording you want at all.

3) I like to sit down and listen to a whole album uninterrupted, not chop and change from song to song and artist to artist.

4) I like to browse shelves of recordings in physical real world rather than scroll down lists

5) I can choose the best/my preferred mastering

6) If the internet is down I still have music

7) If streaming services go broke or close down because they don't make any profit (not impossible, most if not all currently run at a loss) I still have music

8) The streaming service can do anything they want with the signal. Adulterate it, limit it, compress it, or change it in some other way - not saying they do but they can. All outside my control.

9) there is no inherent sound quality advantage in local streaming or streaming service over CD

10) I enjoy going to a physical shop and searching for and buying CDs. You can't beat the thrill of the score, finding something you've been after for ages.

brian2957
29-09-2023, 09:25
How do you ascertain which CD mastering is the best/to your taste Martin ?

Jimbo
29-09-2023, 09:29
All good points, many of which I consider when buying and listening to vinyl.;)

Macca
29-09-2023, 09:33
How do you ascertain which CD mastering is the best/to your taste Martin ?

Buy all of them then decide ;)

I use the DR Database https://dr.loudness-war.info/ and pick the one with the highest dynamic range, that's usually, but not always, the original release.

(NB you can't use it for selecting vinyl releases, it's not accurate for vinyl).

Macca
29-09-2023, 09:41
All good points, many of which I consider when buying and listening to vinyl.;)

Yes, all those things apply to vinyl too. For me CD is just vinyl without the inconsistencies and the hassle of cleaning, replacing worn stylus, having to change sides, surface noise, wow and flutter etc. I know many are not bothered by those things or even enjoy choosing new cartridges and so on, but they are the reasons why I stopped using it.

Jimbo
29-09-2023, 09:51
Yes, all those things apply to vinyl too. For me CD is just vinyl without the inconsistencies and the hassle of cleaning, replacing worn stylus, having to change sides, surface noise, wow and flutter etc. I know many are not bothered by those things or even enjoy choosing new cartridges and so on, but they are the reasons why I stopped using it.

For sure, I wish I had never heard vinyl again because of all the agro using it and expense!.

But once heard, never unheard as it were!:lol:

Macca
29-09-2023, 10:02
For sure, I wish I had never heard vinyl again because of all the agro using it and expense!.

But once heard, never unheard as it were!:lol:

In the past 4 years or so I've spent about 3.5K on digital equipment - I could get a refurbished SP10 for that..although not with top quality arm and cartridge too. And then you need a good phono stage. All adds up a bit fast. But it isn't so much the cost that puts me off, its the other factors.

Jimbo
29-09-2023, 11:42
Indeed the other factors need to be factored in! It is one of the reasons folk have turned to digital, its an easy medium to deal with and streaming requires only the flick of a finger!:lol:

CD requires a bit more user input like standing, walking and opening plastic boxes, never mind all the faff trying to get them out and then back in without breaking the box! Then you have to actually pop one in your machine and take it out when finished.

Bloody hard work if you ask me!:)

Macca
29-09-2023, 12:49
No argument from me about the crappy cases but I have a box of new ones, it's simple enough to replace a broken one.

I've mastered not breaking them when I take out or put back a disc, not mastered avoiding treading on them yet though.

Jimbo
29-09-2023, 12:53
Macca - CD Box Ninja!:)

Barry
29-09-2023, 12:57
I don't think I have ever broken a CD case, though I have several which were cracked in the post. :(

Like Martin I have plenty of new cases to replace those that are broken. ;)

mikeyb
29-09-2023, 13:12
I don't think I have ever broken a CD case, though I have several which were cracked in the post. :(

Like Martin I have plenty of new cases to replace those that are broken. ;)Are you in the Met, they never crack cases either [emoji23]

brian2957
29-09-2023, 13:35
Buy all of them then decide ;)

I use the DR Database https://dr.loudness-war.info/ and pick the one with the highest dynamic range, that's usually, but not always, the original release.

(NB you can't use it for selecting vinyl releases, it's not accurate for vinyl).

Thanks Martin. I'll have a good look at that.

Jimbo
29-09-2023, 13:41
Just going back to the OP Teac VRDS 701T.

I had a good read up on the spec and technical on this machine and it looks like TEAC have gone to some trouble to reduce vibration around the loading drawer etc. All make good sense as I am sure trying to tracking a spinning CD at 500 rpm and a scanning speed of 1.2 m/s whilst its wobbling may cause plenty of errors. Having a very stable mechanism and eliminating vibrations must be a good thing?

As digital gets better it tends to sound smoother, more analogue and spacious with better soundstage so this maybe attributed to the VRDS tech?

All you need now is the Teac clock and some massive upsampling software like HQ player and it will unleash even more from the E30 DAC?:)

OOPs HQ player needs a computer!:doh:

Macca
29-09-2023, 14:45
Just going back to the OP Teac VRDS 701T.

I had a good read up on the spec and technical on this machine and it looks like TEAC have gone to some trouble to reduce vibration around the loading drawer etc. All make good sense as I am sure trying to tracking a spinning CD at 500 rpm and a scanning speed of 1.2 m/s whilst its wobbling may cause plenty of errors. Having a very stable mechanism and eliminating vibrations must be a good thing?

As digital gets better it tends to sound smoother, more analogue and spacious with better soundstage so this maybe attributed to the VRDS tech?

All you need now is the Teac clock and some massive upsampling software like HQ player and it will unleash even more from the E30 DAC?:)

OOPs HQ player needs a computer!:doh:

I've got a concrete floor so skipping from vibrations isn't an issue. Only discs that ever skip are those with damage, I just buy a new one.

The DAC upsamples and reclocks, so there's no point in adding external clock or upsampling. Yes I know some say external clocks do something regardless. If so, I personally can't hear it. Same reason I stick with the Topping DAC, I don't hear any benefits with the fancy DACs. I do have a Soncoz DAC also, that was the thick end of £500. Can't tell it from the Topping.

I keep hoping to encounter some plug in and play wonder device that I think does do something. I would certainly buy it. But I go to the shows and the meets, and it never happened yet.

IMV the more you complicate it the more ways to go wrong. I sometimes think even having an external DAC is just inviting trouble.;)

Jimbo
29-09-2023, 15:14
Would be interesting to compare the Teak VRDS 701T + E30 with the VRDS 701 which has its own DAC?

Macca
29-09-2023, 15:26
Would be interesting to compare the Teak VRDS 701T + E30 with the VRDS 701 which has its own DAC?

I did think about getting the CD player rather than the transport but you're talking an extra £500 for the CDP and I already have two DACs. So it seemed a bit wasteful.

Plus the TEAC DAC is their own tech, their own FPGA. I read it has HF rolling off from 10Khz. From messing about with EQ I know I can easily hear that level of attenuation so it puts me off getting the matching DAC/Pre. But it was only one review and maybe not that reliable.

With the transport you can swap DACs if you don't like it, you can't do that with the CDP.

Barry
29-09-2023, 17:15
All the CD players I use have a digital output, as well as analogue, allowing connection to an external DAC if desired.

struth
29-09-2023, 17:32
I have tried both and although not overly exoctic I found the oppo to be good enough. Not that I play many CDs now.
The rom I've got for pc is pretty good tbh and I'm more inclined to use it as it's pretty quiet

Gazjam
01-10-2023, 14:18
How’s listening to CDs going Martin now the black box has some hours under its belt?

Macca
01-10-2023, 14:53
How’s listening to CDs going Martin now the black box has some hours under its belt?

Can't fault it Gaz. The biggest benefit by far is no more slot-loading shenanigans.

I still think it sounds a little different from the Audiolab though. 'Calmer' somehow. That's the only word I can think of to describe it.

Jimbo
01-10-2023, 15:03
Can't fault it Gaz. The biggest benefit by far is no more slot-loading shenanigans.

I still think it sounds a little different from the Audiolab though. 'Calmer' somehow. That's the only word I can think of to describe it.

Would you also describe the sound as smoother?

Macca
01-10-2023, 15:10
Would you also describe the sound as smoother?

No not really. Although I suppose we would need a definition of smoother' we both agree on :)

That's why I used 'calmer'. That's not the same as 'smoother' - at least for me.

Jimbo
01-10-2023, 15:45
No not really. Although I suppose we would need a definition of smoother' we both agree on :)

That's why I used 'calmer'. That's not the same as 'smoother' - at least for me.

Just trying to get a handle on what you mean. I know its difficult to describe how sound comes across sometimes.

When I have heard improvements in digital playback they have usually resulted in a smoother less edgy (etched) sound which was a criticism of early digital playback.

Macca
01-10-2023, 16:05
Just trying to get a handle on what you mean. I know its difficult to describe how sound comes across sometimes.

When I have heard improvements in digital playback they have usually resulted in a smoother less edgy (etched) sound which was a criticism of early digital playback.

An unfounded one IMV - I mean if you replace your 1970s Linn Sondek/Grace/AT95 with a modern 2 to 22 Hz flat device and play it into the same 15 watt Naim Nait and Linn Kans whose clipping, lack of bass and midrange hump livened up the stodgy, rolled off sound from the deck, then yeah, it's going to sound a bit edgy :)

Like I said in the original post I would not take any of my sound quality opinions too seriously. They are what I perceive in casual listening but I strongly suspect I would not be able to tell it apart from the Audiolab if put to the test.

Jimbo
01-10-2023, 16:14
In theory A CDT should not have a sound of it own?:scratch:

BUT like all things hifi maybe they can contribute something that changes the sound in some way.

Macca
01-10-2023, 16:26
Yes, it's not impossible.

Gazjam
01-10-2023, 18:10
Hear ya Martin, is what it is.

But it sounds different to the Audiolab, as does my modded Oppo 203.

Its a conundrum,
only sensible conclusion being digital can sound different… cos Reasons?

(Apologies to the measurement crowd, it’s not You, it’s Me) :)

Macca
01-10-2023, 18:40
Hear ya Martin, is what it is.

But it sounds different to the Audiolab, as does my modded Oppo 203.

Its a conundrum,
only sensible conclusion being digital can sound different… cos Reasons?

(Apologies to the measurement crowd, it’s not You, it’s Me) :)

well, there's technical reasons it can be, I mentioned a couple I am aware of in the o/p. Or I'm mistaken and they are the same.

Really I'm fine with that either way as long as it sounds good to me.

Gazjam
01-10-2023, 18:49
well, there's technical reasons it can be, I mentioned a couple I am aware of in the o/p. Or I'm mistaken and they are the same.

Really I'm fine with that either way as long as it sounds good to me.

Ditto. :thumbsup:

Jimbo
02-10-2023, 19:36
Do you remember this thread Martin?

https://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?22915-Teac-VRDS

Macca
02-10-2023, 20:22
Do you remember this thread Martin?

https://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?22915-Teac-VRDS

doesn't ring any bells. The old ones look great but they're £500 or so which is too much for something that might die in a week.

Jimbo
03-10-2023, 07:15
doesn't ring any bells. The old ones look great but they're £500 or so which is too much for something that might die in a week.

Yeah that is a good point.

hifinutt
08-10-2023, 14:28
want another transport at some point and the urd does not seem to be coming anytime soon

this comment in review rather made me doubt buying this product though

The drive system is, of course, the latest TEAC VRDS anti vibration device (the clue's in the name) but the draw itself is as plasticky and flimsy as something you would find on a no-brand DVD player. Okay so this makes no difference to sound quality but in my view it's not acceptable on a 'flagship' unit.

Stranraer
10-10-2023, 11:07
Hi Macca,

I've been meaning to ask as I had been considering the Teac as a replacement for the Levinson, is it a major step up in sound quality from your Audiolab 6000 ?
It's certainly a price hike.

Macca
10-10-2023, 17:35
Hi Macca,

I've been meaning to ask as I had been considering the Teac as a replacement for the Levinson, is it a major step up in sound quality from your Audiolab 6000 ?
It's certainly a price hike.

My impression is that it doesn't sound exactly the same. I wouldn't really say it was better or worse. In theory at least, it should sound identical.

It's not a 'major step up' I can say that for certain, but then I wasn't expecting it to be.

I just wanted a draw loader that I also liked the looks of, and in that respect it was the only game in town.

Gazjam
10-10-2023, 17:41
Audiolab 6000 responds well to simple mods, plays nice with good power and digital cables as well as isolation and case dampening.
Substantial jump in sound quality for not a lot of outlay.

Didn't disgrace itself into a very good dac, may be all the Transport you need.

Macca
10-10-2023, 17:46
Audiolab 6000 responds well to simple mods, plays nice with good power and digital cables as well as isolation and case dampening.

Didn't disgrace itself into a very good dac, may be all the Transport you need.

I think as long as you can live with the looks and the slot loading/general ergonomics it is certainly all the transport you will need. I cannot fault it for sound quality.

One other thing it has the power lead on the wrong side making cable dressing a bit harder. TEAC has it on the same side as my pre-amp and DAC. Okay it's a small thing but it's a thing.

Stranraer
10-10-2023, 18:04
Thanks for confirming. That'll save me a few quid in the future then.
I'm actually using my 6000 as transport into the Levinson 390 at the mo and I'm absolutely loving it.

Stranraer
10-10-2023, 18:07

I might well regret this but............. who would I speak to about mods ?
I'm using Missing Link power and digital cable currently, which I've been more than happy with.

Pigmy Pony
10-10-2023, 18:08
I think as long as you can live with the looks and the slot loading/general ergonomics it is certainly all the transport you will need. I cannot fault it for sound quality.

One other thing it has the power lead on the wrong side making cable dressing a bit harder. TEAC has it on the same side as my pre-amp and DAC. Okay it's a small thing but it's a thing.

https://i.imgflip.com/nms6o.jpg

Jimbo
13-10-2023, 06:14
Martin, I think you need to upgrade your CDT already!:lol:

https://twitteringmachines.com/review-jays-audio-cdt3-mk3-cd-transport/

If you got plenty of cash to burn!:)

struth
13-10-2023, 07:22

48lbs is just overkill...

Jimbo
13-10-2023, 07:28
48lbs is just overkill...

They need to do something to justify the price and if its heavy it must be worth it?

Glenn Croft once joked when someone asked him what was the difference between a Series 7 amplifier and the Series 7R and he just said "Its heavier":lol:

Macca
13-10-2023, 17:26

I did consider getting that one but I decided I don't like how it looks or the ergonomics.

Jimbo
13-10-2023, 17:33
I did consider getting that one but I decided I don't like how it looks or the ergonomics.

I think the weight of it maybe a problem too although your used to lifting Krells!:)

Macca
13-10-2023, 17:39
I think the weight of it maybe a problem too although your used to lifting Krells!:)

I try to lift them as infrequently as possible :)

I didn't want to spend that much either, there's just no need. Maybe if it looked the business I might still have gone for it. But it's just too bland, like so much contemporary equipment.

Gazjam
14-10-2023, 05:16
I might well regret this but............. who would I speak to about mods ?
I'm using Missing Link power and digital cable currently, which I've been more than happy with.

Have a look over my thread HERE
https://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?76409-Audiolab-6000CDT-Mods

I did a deep(ish) dive on this stuff, it’s worth it if your keeping the Audiolab.

Happy to help if I can.
Gaz.

Stranraer
14-10-2023, 20:54
Thanks Gaz,
I folllowed that thread with interest at the time.
Due to the age of my 390 the plan is to save the laser and continue to run the Audiolab into it as transport, which is sounding spectacular to my ears right now.
That means I'd be very interested to discuss taking you up on your kind offer, but for the next few weeks I'm gonna relax and enjoy what I currently have.
Maybe I could pick up with you in the new year ? It'll be here before we know it.

Gazjam
15-10-2023, 16:50
Of course David, no worries Mate.

Happy to help if if you choose to go down the Mod the Audiolab route.
As you know, it's an outstanding CD Transport "as is".

Enjoy :thumbsup:

hifinutt
18-10-2023, 11:34
thats nice but its a top loader which can be a pitb , also it weighs a ton

by an incredible coincidence i found a Richers store in manchester [ the only one in UK to do them] which had a beautiful transport . yes its buttons are under the front panel but nothing perfect . tray loading , smooth as butter , and silent as a mouse

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/audio-analogue-aa-cd-drive.285205/

https://hifiplus.com/articles/audio-analogue-aadrive-transport-and-aadac-digital-converter/

Jimbo
30-10-2023, 18:30
Hey Martin, any more thoughts on the TEAC VRDS 701T since you have been using it for a while now?

Or is it fit it and forget?:D

Macca
30-10-2023, 18:46
Hey Martin, any more thoughts on the TEAC VRDS 701T since you have been using it for a while now?

Or is it fit it and forget?:D

Not given me any bother, it's lovely to use and look at.

I said originally that it seemed to have a 'calmer' sound than the Audiolab. I expected that to be in my head and the impression to disappear after a while, but after a month or so and a lot of different albums I'm still hearing it like that.

Jimbo
30-10-2023, 18:51
Not given me any bother, it's lovely to use and look at.

I said originally that it seemed to have a 'calmer' sound than the Audiolab. I expected that to be in my head and the impression to disappear after a while, but after a month or so and a lot of different albums I'm still hearing it like that.

Looks like a quality built item. Do you think it will sound better with a more expensive DAC? I know you have mentioned you don't hear too much difference between DACs.

Macca
30-10-2023, 18:54
Looks like a quality built item. Do you think it will sound better with a more expensive DAC? I know you have mentioned you don't hear too much difference between DACs.

I have a more expensive one but it doesn't sound any different to the Topping.

Tried it at Oli's with his DAC, don't recall what it was but it wasn't a cheapy. Bass went quite a bit deeper. But different speakers and much smaller room ofc.

Jimbo
30-10-2023, 18:58
I have a more expensive one but it doesn't sound any different to the Topping.

Tried it at Oli's with his DAC, don't recall what it was but it wasn't a cheapy. Bass went quite a bit deeper. But different speakers and much smaller room ofc.

Yeah difficult to tell what something is doing in someone else's room/set up. Really need to hear it in your own system.

Macca
30-10-2023, 19:13
Yeah difficult to tell what something is doing in someone else's room/set up. Really need to hear it in your own system.

Yes, his speakers go quite a bit lower than mine even though they are smaller. I've been looking at subwoofers this week. Good ones are not as expensive as I thought.

Pigmy Pony
30-10-2023, 21:25
Yes, his speakers go quite a bit lower than mine even though they are smaller. I've been looking at subwoofers this week. Good ones are not as expensive as I thought.

Ofc 'expensive' is a relative term. Any particular make/model in mind?

StevenZ
19-03-2024, 19:27
Macca, how are you getting on with the 701T still? I just ordered mine yesterday and it should deliver on Thursday. Hoping it's as good or better than my transport that just died. I'll be using mine with an Audial S5 DAC.

Macca
20-03-2024, 06:50
Macca, how are you getting on with the 701T still? I just ordered mine yesterday and it should deliver on Thursday. Hoping it's as good or better than my transport that just died. I'll be using mine with an Audial S5 DAC.

It's great. Never given me any trouble and it's a pleasure to own and use.

What did you have that died?

StevenZ
20-03-2024, 15:39
Wonderful, thanks for the reply. My transpot that died was a custom thing, a sort of hodge podge of different parts along with a custom digital output section from a local tech who does all my work. It sounded great but being it's a mixture of 30yr+ old parts I figured the Teac may prove to be a bit more reliable.