PDA

View Full Version : Dynamic range Vinyl vs Digital

Jimbo
31-08-2023, 06:41
Just been reading an interesting article regarding Dynamic range which was one of the big plus points of Digital audio. It appears that like Brexit we have been sold a theoretical benefit but in actual fact it falls short in reality.

The potential in Digital audio for recording and playback of Dynamic range is quite a bit greater than vinyl which has DR limited due to its physical and technical limitations. BUT a number of software tools are available now to assess Dynamic range and guess what Digital often does not deliver anything better than vinyl in many circumstances because of the mastering process can screw around with Dynamic range and deliver something inferior to its analogue counterpart.

I have long suspected this and been surprised when playing back some digital recordings where I was expecting huge dynamic range only to get a feeble lack lustre performance. Apparently in the quest for loudness the Mastering and EQ of recordings can limit DR and present a poor sound. The more I read about Mastering and especially remastering and hear the consequences the more I am convinced it usually results in something that sounds inferior to its original analogue recording.

Most of my recordings on vinyl absolutely spank most digital recordings in this regard and indeed they have prompted me to seek out early first pressings or at least pressings that have been made before digitalisation and remastering as in many cases they simply sound far better and usually have more dynamic range even though theoretically it is limited.

Firebottle
31-08-2023, 10:57
'Loudness wars'.

One of the worst things to be foisted into digital recordings, even if it is recent pop bilge IMO.

struth
31-08-2023, 11:29
like most things, if its used properly its mostly a boost, but misused just to make it sound louder it can become a major problem.
i have digitized a lot of my vinyl, and if done right they sound fine.

Jimbo
31-08-2023, 13:23
like most things, if its used properly its mostly a boost, but misused just to make it sound louder it can become a major problem.
i have digitized a lot of my vinyl, and if done right they sound fine.

Digitizing vinyl is definitely the way to go. Better probably than buying the digital copy re issued on CD or download?

struth
31-08-2023, 13:46
Digitizing vinyl is definitely the way to go. Better probably than buying the digital copy re issued on CD or download?The job is a learn by mistakes but once you get a handle on it and software tbh they probably sound better than the vinyl. Lol

Macca
31-08-2023, 18:51
Digitizing vinyl is definitely the way to go. Better probably than buying the digital copy re issued on CD or download?

It depends what music you want. Classical and jazz don't tend to suffer from loudness issues at all.

For older rock and pop look for the original CD issue from the 80s or early 90s - these were generally mastered to maximise the benefit of the format. They are usually cheaper than the later, compressed remastered version as well since not many people have cottoned on to this yet.

If you want pop or rock that was made from late 90s on then mostly you're knackered. Some still have good dynamic range. Thankfully the vast majority of good rock and pop was made before that time.

Your still getting the benefit of zero noise and distortion, stable pitch and no gradual wear compared to vinyl so there are other positives. I only have a couple of CDs that are so heavily limited they are unlistenable, and maybe a dozen that could do with being a little less hot. However all of those are remasters and I will at some point get the original release to replace them.

If you think it is bad with CD check out SACD releases. SACD format has an even higher dynamic range than CD (24 bit as opposed to 16) but the SACD releases of popular music almost always have lower dynamic range than the original CD release.

The DR Database is usually a good CD version buying guide although no use for vinyl.

Theadmans
01-09-2023, 18:37
I am a long term member at the Steve Hoffman forum...

...I also regularly check the DR Database before CD purchases.

I can confidently say that most of my CD versions of albums (mostly 80s and early 90s discs) comfortably improve on my old vinyl versions.