PDA

View Full Version : Car Carpets and Mats - the work of the Devil?

Puffin
08-08-2023, 17:38
In the early 70s came the move from industrial strength plastic/vinyl flooring and rubber mats (hose downable) to "carpet" and "carpet" style mats. I say carpet because they aren't really are they. They must have been created by some hostile and sadistic git really. Static inducing complete gits to get all the bits off them!

We have carpets in our house and you get the hoover out and hoover them (other makes are available - but seems to be accepted as a generic name for a vacuum cleaner:)) and after a stress free time the carpets are free of crap. Contrast the hoovering of the inside of a car and the mats:rolleyes: Most of the interiors I have had were black as is my current car......they are clearly having a laugh at our expense aren't they.

Pigmy Pony
09-08-2023, 06:42
You can still buy rubber mats for your car, there's even companies that will make them for your particular car. If you like the 'feel' of carpet under your feet, glue some pieces onto the soles of your driving shoes, then trim to fit. Best of both worlds :)

walpurgis
09-08-2023, 07:05
I put fitted rubber mats in my car when I bought it new, nine years ago now and they're still more or less like new. I just give 'em a scrub once in a while.

Puffin
09-08-2023, 07:50
Yes, I thought that you should still be able to get rubber mats, but the fitted carpet remains and I find that the area around the mats which never fit flush are channels of dirt. One point I forgot that is main bug bear is the bits of tree or hedge stuff that get caught in the fibres of the "carpet". Sometimes brushing in different directions with a stiff brush will dislodge them, but in the main they need picking out with tweezers to fully remove them (err no I don't resort to tweezers) I just swear a lot.

struth
09-08-2023, 08:13
my footwells need hoovering badly again...:doh: cant manage it nowadays, so will have to go the the car washers.

willbewill
09-08-2023, 08:35
Why put carpets in cars, when they’re so hard to clean?

https://whyy.org/segments/why-put-carpets-in-cars-when-theyre-so-hard-to-clean/#:~:text=It's%20dense%20and%20the%20holes,that%20m akes%20carpet%20for%20cars.

dave2010
09-08-2023, 08:44

https://whyy.org/segments/why-put-carpets-in-cars-when-theyre-so-hard-to-clean/#:~:text=It's%20dense%20and%20the%20holes,that%20m akes%20carpet%20for%20cars.Isn't it deliberate, to reduce the selling on value?

willbewill
09-08-2023, 09:14
Isn't it deliberate, to reduce the selling on value?

:lol::lol:

Puffin
09-08-2023, 12:34

https://whyy.org/segments/why-put-carpets-in-cars-when-theyre-so-hard-to-clean/#:~:text=It's%20dense%20and%20the%20holes,that%20m akes%20carpet%20for%20cars.

Excellent article I have not seen before and it perfectly explains the reason that it is so hard to get all the bits of crap out of what we now know is cheap crap and not really carpet but a dirt grabber.

dave2010
09-08-2023, 14:40
:lol::lol:You think I jest!

walpurgis
09-08-2023, 15:44
Take the carpet out, swap sides and put it back in upside down and it will (probably) fit. Problem solved, no pile to collect bits! :D

Puffin
09-08-2023, 16:51
Mine seems to be bonded to the floor! I suspect that the manufacturers are now doing this in case in the event of a crash with some kind of driver and carpet malfunction they will not be culpable:lol: perhaps I ought to ditch the after market mats just in case:rolleyes::lol:

CageyH
09-08-2023, 22:47
my footwells need hoovering badly again...:doh: cant manage it nowadays, so will have to go the the car washers.

Well, do a proper job then, instead of wasting time doing it badly. :lol:

Pigmy Pony
10-08-2023, 05:33
Well, do a proper job then, instead of wasting time doing it badly. :lol:

"I've been Cagey H, and I'll be here all week! Don't forget to tip your waitress"

I find if I do something badly enough, it gets taken off my chores list :)

Macca
10-08-2023, 05:52
https://i.ibb.co/YBs0g50/cant-someone-else-do-it-simpsons.png (https://imgbb.com/)

Pigmy Pony
10-08-2023, 05:55
Homer has the answer. Doesn't matter how stupid the question :)

antonio
15-08-2023, 17:02
Murder to clean, bits stick to the fibres like glue. I always thought carpet was fitted for it's sound deadening qualities.

Barry
15-08-2023, 18:35
Lame excuse - just remove the mats and give them a good brush with a stiff bristle brush. Then vacuum the under carpet and refit the mats. 15 minutes at the most, to do both front and back.

antonio
16-08-2023, 07:06
Not always so easy if you don't have a drive Barry and are able able to use a vacuum, unless that is you go out and purchase a battery operated one.

Pigmy Pony
16-08-2023, 16:39
Not always so easy if you don't have a drive Barry and are able able to use a vacuum, unless that is you go out and purchase a battery operated one.

Even if I didn't have a drive, I do have a 30 metre extension reel, so I could also do next door's car if I wanted. However I don't want - we get the Romanians to hoover the car for us while we go into Aldi next door. And a very nice job they do too.

Macca
16-08-2023, 19:37
No-one's got a drive round here, you just clean your car at the kerb. Run an extension cable out the house

Had to step over one yesterday, the bloke was clearly worried about people tripping on it so he had also put a water bottle in the middle of the pavement to draw attention to it.

Health and safety gone mad if you ask me.

Pigmy Pony
16-08-2023, 22:06
No-one's got a drive round here, you just clean your car at the kerb. Run an extension cable out the house

Had to step over one yesterday, the bloke was clearly worried about people tripping on it so he had also put a water bottle in the middle of the pavement to draw attention to it.

Probably won't protect him from the workshy shitbags who actively look for things to trip over.

Macca
17-08-2023, 05:51
Probably won't protect him from the workshy shitbags who actively look for things to trip over.

true but car leased, house rented, no point suing someone with no money.

walpurgis
17-08-2023, 06:24

My little 12v vac just plugs into the car's 'lighter socket', works just fine with no cable across the footway.

Puffin
17-08-2023, 12:27
We have a battery vacuum cleaner and you can remove part of it to be a hand held doodah. Might be good at sucking crumbs off a worktop, but anything else.....especially the car...forget it. We also have an old Dyson roller ball that is ok for indoors but I had to replace the elephants trunk years ago and the one I got is not as flexible as the original and not that long. It is very heavy and you have to balance it on a seat in the car to get the hose anywhere near the floor. Does it suck....yes...but only in american slang.

struth
17-08-2023, 12:45
battery ones are getting better at sucking but it dont last long...oooh matron!!!

Barry
17-08-2023, 14:25
IMO Dyson designs are over-rated and hugely overpriced.

Pigmy Pony
17-08-2023, 14:27
And these days they're made over there. I wouldn't have one thrown at me in a strong wind.

Kember
21-08-2023, 19:07
There’s a Milwaukee 18v battery workshop number that does those duties chez moi.

Properly deployed, it can alter the rotation of the planet under its own power. Not pretty, not quiet but very effective.

Pigmy Pony
22-08-2023, 07:11
There’s a Milwaukee 18v battery workshop number that does those duties chez moi.

Properly deployed, it can alter the rotation of the planet under its own power. Not pretty, not quiet but very effective.

Milwaukee stuff is proper. If I was starting out again I would probably go on 'Team Milwaukee'. But these brands know how to keep your loyalty, with their one-battery-fits-all approach.

Currently my power tools tally include:

Impact driver, combi drill, SDS drill, multi-tool, 5" angle grinder, reciprocating saw, jigsaw, second fix (brad) nailer, torch, vacuum cleaner (a bit shit this one), lawnmower, hedge cutter, and most important of all DAB radio.

All Makita. I would say they've got me, jumping ship now's not an option.

struth
22-08-2023, 07:54
i had a few of their(Milwaukee)early stuff that came onto the uk market; very good gear