PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: JVC/victor z1 or x1 cartridge and other TOTL old MM carts

Gramophonic
28-07-2023, 21:40
Hi all,
This is a long shot but as I have recently been blown away by the common JVC Z1S with a conical stylus I'd love to hear the x1 or z1!
I'm also looking for other carts liek empire e400, some of the good ADC's etc. Basically what good condition MM's are available? I have a shure v15 iii which I love as well, so good stylii for that are always of interest.
cheers
Robf

Barry
28-07-2023, 22:06
The JVC X-1 is an excellent cartridge, as are the ADC 25s, the 26 and the 10e.

I followed the Shure V15 series up until the Mk.III version, whereupon I changed track to Ortofon MCs and the above cartridges.

Gramophonic
29-07-2023, 01:09
The JVC X-1 is an excellent cartridge, as are the ADC 25s, the 26 and the 10e.

I followed the Shure V15 series up until the Mk.III version, whereupon I changed track to Ortofon MCs and the above cartridges.
The only ADC cartridge I have is a vlm ii which I'm sure is far down the pole. Came on an excellent deck though, rotel rp1500, really underrated with a nice heavy platter just couldn't stop it humming in my system, it didn't in a friend's so he has it now. Sorry for off topic post but would love to get my hands on an x-1, the z1s is pretty unbelievable tbh so the x1 should be positively brilliant!
BTW, would you mind telling me how the carts you owned reacted with surface noise? the z1s is pretty noisy and picks up everything, even more than the v15 iii, for which I have a mirco-ridge stylus.

Barry
29-07-2023, 10:12
The JVC X-1(sounds a bit like a rocket fuel! :lol: ) was designed for JVC's CD-4 quadriphonic system of the '70s. It was fitted with a Shibata stylus to allow the cartridge to read the high frequency information (> 20kHz) of quadriphonic records.
It is possible that the cartridge might reveal more surface noise than other cartridges, but I never found it to be a problem.

The ADCs were fitted with elliptical stylii, and again were not noted for picking up surface noise.

walpurgis
29-07-2023, 10:32
The ADCs were fitted with elliptical stylii, and again were not noted for picking up surface noise.

I owned the Denon DL-103R (amongst many other carts) at the same time as I was using my ADC 10E Mk.IV and was struck the similarity in tonal balance and overall presentation. I didn't find either bad for surface noise, but not the quietest. The ZYX R50 Bloom and Denon DL-160 were notable for quietness.

(I kept the ADC, but not the 103R, not sure if that says anything though :))

struth
29-07-2023, 10:35
I owned the Denon DL-103R (amongst many other carts) at the same time as I was using my ADC 10E Mk.IV and was struck the similarity in tonal balance and overall presentation. I didn't find either bad for surface noise, but not the quietest. The ZYX R50 Bloom and Denon DL-160 were notable for quietness.

(I kept the ADC, but not the 103R, not sure if that says anything though :))

the Denon DL-160 is a great tracker and sounded good too. shame they stopped it

Gramophonic
29-07-2023, 21:12
The JVC X-1(sounds a bit like a rocket fuel! :lol: ) was designed for JVC's CD-4 quadriphonic system of the '70s. It was fitted with a Shibata stylus to allow the cartridge to read the high frequency information (> 20kHz) of quadriphonic records.
It is possible that the cartridge might reveal more surface noise than other cartridges, but I never found it to be a problem.

Thanks for this helpful comment! Interestingly on my garrard 301 with quad 33 and 303 the v15 iii walks all over the z1s, but up stairs on the technics 1210GR the jvc is absolutely beautiful, especially with jazz.