PDA

View Full Version : Discussion topics being posted in the incorrect rooms

Marco
13-09-2010, 14:25
Hi Guys,

I've noticed recently that more and more threads are being posted in the wrong areas of the forum, and I've had to keep moving them to the correct areas.

Quite often stuff just seems to be getting dumped in 'Blank Canvas', either through laziness or not reading the description of each room properly for where the discussion you're starting should go.

Each room has been very clearly marked regarding what subject matter should be discussed there. However, if anyone has genuine difficulty understanding where to put things, then please say so here, stating the problems you're having, and we'll do our best to rectify the situation.

However, lazy buggers who just dump stuff in 'Blank Canvas', when quite clearly it should not be there, thinking that big daft Marco will come along and shift it if necessary, can forget that from now on ;)

If I spot anything like that in future, non-relevant threads will simply be soft-deleted and only restored when so requested by PM (to me) by the author of the thread - after that is, they get a flea in their ear for wasting our time!

Therefore..............

Before you post a thread, please observe *very carefully* where it should go.

Are we all crystal clear on this, people? :)

Cheers!

Marco.

Reid Malenfant
13-09-2010, 16:29
Ooooh i hope i haven't been a bad boy :eyebrows:

http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad240/speakermark/Emotes/cartman.gif You will respect my authorataaa...

Sometimes i find it a tad difficult knowing where to put a new thread if i'm just asking for opinions on various things such as my "Which Tannoy DC" thread. Now that will turn into a full blown project that will go into The Drawing Board.

It's not a question of messing up, it was just looking at other sections & seeing where loudspeaker discussions could be had. Nowhere else has a speaker section so i'm assuming i did good ;) :scratch:

At least i haven't seen anything of mine moved - yet :eyebrows:

Marco
13-09-2010, 18:21
Hi Mark,

Lol! If you haven't noticed any of your threads being moved, then you can take it as read that you've posted them in the right areas ;)

The key thing to remember is this..........

Where it says in the description under 'Blank Canvas':

General hi-fi discussion. Anything not covered in the categories below goes here.

Understanding the bit in bold is the important bit! A common mistake is to not realise that 'The Artist's Palette' is where discussions on tubes and headphones should go (even though it is clearly marked as such), so I often see those mistakenly posted in 'Blank Canvas'.

I suspect people are 'over-thinking' things and trying to work out where to put topics where there appears to be no dedicated room for them.

Don't do that. If you don't see an (obvious) dedicated room for any given (hi-fi) topics, then quite simply, they AUTOMATICALLY GO INTO 'BLANK CANVAS'.

And if after reading the various room descriptions (thoroughly) you see that there's a dedicated room for the subject you're going to discuss, then it goes into that room.

Simples! :cool:

Marco.

Techno Commander
13-09-2010, 18:24
I dont think I have done anything wrong. :)

But if I have, I apologise.

Marco
13-09-2010, 18:27
Nope, you're cool, dude :cool:

It's not a matter of doing anything 'wrong'. I'm not a headmaster here to slap people's wrists! :eyebrows:

Genuine mistakes can be made, but in some instances I feel there is also an element of laziness....

I just want you guys to know that I can no longer be relied upon to move threads into the correct areas of the forum, as quite simply, I don't have the time :)

It's up to members themselves to take the time to see where discussions should go.

Marco.

Alex_UK
13-09-2010, 19:34
It's not a matter of doing anything 'wrong'. I'm not a headmaster here to slap people's wrists! :eyebrows:

I'll make sure I start posting in the wrong section if you're going to start dishing out punishment... if you're not slapping wrists, will you be spanking bottys? :spank:

Sorry if I've been an offender, I'll take it like a man! :eyebrows:

Jonboy
13-09-2010, 19:41
i'll just keep posting in the threads you other knobs have already started in the wrong sections :ner:

Spank me spank me you know you want to

Marco
13-09-2010, 19:42
Don't worry, I've got an extra-special world of pain lined up for you two beauties! :eyebrows:

Marco.

Techno Commander
13-09-2010, 20:00
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg116/sillystuff99/Animations/1_4_126.gif http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg116/sillystuff99/Animations/kinky.gif

Stratmangler
13-09-2010, 20:26
What about threads that start off in the right area and get moved to inappropriate areas by the mods ?

It's happened a couple or three times to threads I've started, but I couldn't be arsed raising the point before, as I felt it to be churlish; however, since somone has decided to make a point about it...........

Marco
13-09-2010, 21:45
Hi Chris,

I guess it depends on what you consider as "the right area", and also "inappropriate areas".

That may be so to you, but in actual fact not, in terms of where things should be going based on our judgement criteria. It's likely just a matter of interpretation. Ultimately, though, it's up to us where things go.

Could you give me some examples of what you're referring to? Links to specific threads would be good, noting where they started and then ended up.

Generally if threads are moved, it's for a very good reason :)

Marco.

Steve Eddy
14-09-2010, 00:21
Looks like I'm the one in the crosshairs here. :ner:

I'd have put the Shunyata post in Artist's Palette, but the overall theme of the post was intended in a broader, more general sense, i.e. some of the crazy marketing tactics some companies take. That's why I put it instead in the general interest Blank Canvas area.

se

Marco
14-09-2010, 01:06
Lol... TBH, Steve, I wasn't thinking of you at all, even though I've moved your thread.

I was watching how it developed, and if it had worked out as you originally intended, then it would've remained in Blank Canvas.

However, when the discussion started becoming more about cables than anything else, it had to be transferred into The Artist's Palette, as that's where such topics belong :)

Marco.

Steve Eddy
14-09-2010, 01:19
Lol... TBH, Steve, I wasn't thinking of you at all, even though I've moved your thread.

http://www.q-audio.com/images/eek.gif

What?

You weren't thinking of me?

:(

BITCH!

I was watching how it developed, and if it had worked out as you originally intended, then it would've remained in Blank Canvas.

However, when the discussion started becoming more about cables than anything else, it had to be transferred into The Artist's Palette, as that's where such topics belong :)

Fair 'nuff.

se

John
14-09-2010, 05:35
Well I am guilty of putting talks about music in abstract chat sometimes and I am the music mod lol

Stratmangler
14-09-2010, 06:36
Hi Chris,

I guess it depends on what you consider as "the right area", and also "inappropriate areas".

That may be so to you, but in actual fact not, in terms of where things should be going based on our judgement criteria. It's likely just a matter of interpretation. Ultimately, though, it's up to us where things go.

Could you give me some examples of what you're referring to? Links to specific threads would be good, noting where they started and then ended up.

Generally if threads are moved, it's for a very good reason :)

Marco.

How about this one http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6788 ?

It's got nothing to do with music or playback of recorded music at all, so I started the thread in the general chat area.
It got shifted to the digital expressions area, which I thought was strange at the time.

Marco
14-09-2010, 06:59
Hi Chris,

No idea why that ended up where it did.... :scratch:

I guess it just shows that we can make mistakes, too!

If that happens again to you or anyone else, please let us know and we will rectify it :)

Marco.

Joe
19-09-2010, 09:27
How about this one http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6788 ?

It's got nothing to do with music or playback of recorded music at all, so I started the thread in the general chat area.
It got shifted to the digital expressions area, which I thought was strange at the time.

Computers are digital, innit?

There's far too many rooms with poncey names anyway. Who on earth would know whether something should be an 'artist's impression' or a 'a stroke of genius'?

The Grand Wazoo
19-09-2010, 09:31
Who on earth would know whether something should be an 'artist's impression' or a 'a stroke of genius'?

Hardly anyone.........well, except the ones who can be arsed to read the descriptions that are directly underneath the names!

Joe
19-09-2010, 09:40
Hardly anyone.........well, except the ones who can be arsed to read the descriptions that are directly underneath the names!

I beg to differ. If I buy different plugs, fit them to my cables and find it a huge improvement that I want to share with AoS, is that a tweak which should go into 'Strokes of Genius' or an accessory that should go into 'The Artist's Palette'?

Spectral Morn
19-09-2010, 09:50
I beg to differ. If I buy different plugs, fit them to my cables and find it a huge improvement that I want to share with AoS, is that a tweak which should go into 'Strokes of Genius' or an accessory that should go into 'The Artist's Palette'?

Okay as Strokes of Genius is my baby so to speak....imho it should be the place where you put reviews on any audio item, some of which should/could go into other rooms (normally) but rather than a few lines (which might be fine for other rooms) a SOG item/review (I hope) will have more depth to it and length.

Does that help ?

Regards D S D L

Marco
19-09-2010, 20:46
Yeah, S.O.G is more for in-depth reviews of equipment and/or describing the effects of (usually non-cable related) tweaks which have transformed your system, such as for example, filters, demagnetisers, oak cones, and the like, or perhaps just some adjustment you've made to your system, which has proved revelatory, that hasn't involved the addition of anything new at all! :)

Marco.