pidge22
06-07-2023, 04:01
* Looking for a pair of Boenicke W8 or W11
* Ideally mint & boxed
* Am in Nottingham & can collect within 120 miles
* Given the rave reviews would really like to try a pair of either

Macca
06-07-2023, 05:52
They sound a bit rough. Not terrible by any means but they have that edge to them. If you are after the 'live performance' sound then you might like them.

pidge22
06-07-2023, 07:53
Thanks for the feedback much appreciated...

Lawrence001
06-07-2023, 08:26
At that price I would have expected clean treble and mid is it just the lack of bass that makes them sound that way?

Macca
06-07-2023, 17:11
At that price I would have expected clean treble and mid is it just the lack of bass that makes them sound that way?

No they have bass but mids are a little bit rough, there's no crossover so it might be that, but that's only speculation.

I like a very refined sound so they were not for me.

Pigmy Pony
06-07-2023, 17:58
Probably similar to mine in that respect. Mids can be a bit hard on the ears with some music. Can be improved with eq, but with speakers costing that much you shouldn't have to.

Lawrence001
06-07-2023, 19:15
Yeah why do they cost so much if they're small and don't sound amazing?

Pigmy Pony
07-07-2023, 06:29
They probably do sound amazing with certain types of music, in the right conditions, and with a listener who likes that 'live' sound. I once heard a pair of the W8s, and I thought they sounded really nice. But they were playing some simple jazz-type stuff, so hard to be sure how they get on with all types of music.

Speakers are so personal, the only way is to try to hear them at home first. Because it's a lot of money to be chucking at something with fingers crossed, regardless of what the reviews (or us) are saying.

walpurgis
07-07-2023, 07:29
Looking at the W8 design, I wonder if it relies on Hemholtz action for bass loading or is intended to work as a truncated transmission line. As the bass driver is not rolled off, that fiddly cabinet with all the nooks and crannies could produce some 'interesting' resonances.

hifinutt
07-07-2023, 08:08
Yeah why do they cost so much if they're small and don't sound amazing?

everything from switzerland costs a lot :)

Macca
07-07-2023, 16:59
They probably do sound amazing with certain types of music, in the right conditions, and with a listener who likes that 'live' sound. I once heard a pair of the W8s, and I thought they sounded really nice. But they were playing some simple jazz-type stuff, so hard to be sure how they get on with all types of music.

we had a listen to some at the last Wigwam show, playing a Little Feat live album. Think we both thought they were a little bit coarse.

Pigmy Pony
07-07-2023, 18:30
we had a listen to some at the last Wigwam show, playing a Little Feat live album. Think we both thought they were a little bit coarse.

Yes I vaguely remember that - they clearly didn't leave much of an impression. But I first heard some a few years ago at Kegworth (I think) with Mrs. Pony, and quite liked them then. Though not enough for them to make my wish list. As is often the case, the source material and the room play a big part.

But for that kind of money I'd want their looks to be saying "here I am!" They would look lost in my room. Just too dinky, like Neat. Yes I really am that shallow.

Barry
07-07-2023, 18:38
........ I'd want their looks to be saying "here I am!" They would look lost in my room. Just too dinky, like Neat. Yes I really am that shallow.

You need a pair of Quad ESLS. There is one, and only one, place in my living/listening room where they can be used - to the point that the whole room is arranged around them.

We were recently looking for a larger dining table, saw one, but the dimensions of the table were such that the speakers would need to be moved. My partner suggested that we do so - my reply was NO!

Pigmy Pony
08-07-2023, 08:20
You need a pair of Quad ESLS. There is one, and only one, place in my living/listening room where they can be used - to the point that the whole room is arranged around them.

We were recently looking for a larger dining table, saw one, but the dimensions of the table were such that the speakers would need to be moved. My partner suggested that we do so - my reply was NO!

:D Quite right too. Acquiesce, and before you know it your components don't suit the decor and need to be hidden away in a cupboard.

ESLs would never fit into our space, far too wide. And our room is rather weird. One day I'll get the hang of posting pics and I'll put them on here.

Pigmy Pony
08-07-2023, 08:26
Sorry Paul, we seem to have moved away from your OP somewhat :doh: Any luck with your quest?

Lucerne
08-07-2023, 09:01
Plenty of well priced used for sale on Audio-Markt:

https://www.audio-markt.de/market/start/?page_filter_field_usage_state=0&page_filter_field_manufacturer_id=3672&filter_submitted=1

I've been using a pair of SLS for years now, in rotation with other decent speakers including well sorted 57's and in some ways they're very similar in that they need a compatible amp and careful positioning to get the best out of them.

The separate bass amp with the SLS is useful for room tuning.

Macca
08-07-2023, 11:21
Plenty of well priced used for sale on Audio-Markt:

https://www.audio-markt.de/market/start/?page_filter_field_usage_state=0&page_filter_field_manufacturer_id=3672&filter_submitted=1

g.

I didn't realise they were so expensive! When you said 'well priced' I was expecting fifteen hundred or so.

I know speaker are a personal taste but there's got to be better for that sort of money.

pidge22
08-07-2023, 12:03
Sorry Paul, we seem to have moved away from your OP somewhat :doh: Any luck with your quest?

No problem at all its good to get everyones views....still looking but won't go ahead with any unless I can try in my own setup...

Barry
08-07-2023, 12:14
Wise approach - something all audio vendors ought to provide.

sanchezxxx
08-07-2023, 12:47
It sounds pretty nice IMO if you like full woofer assisted wideband sound. Markup is huge but I guess that's the point of starting a company.

You can get similar sound very cheap DIY if you do a little Googlefu.

Lawrence001
11-07-2023, 05:59
everything from switzerland costs a lot :)Asda’s Extra Special Parmesan and Garlic Mini Twists are cheap and they're made in Switzerland. They keep saying it on Times radio.

"Our cheese twists are made near the Jura Mountains in Switzerland with Parmigiano Reggiano and hints of garlic.According to independent taste tests 77% of people said ASDA’s Extra Special Parmesan & Garlic Mini Twists are tastier than Fortnum & Mason’s."

Pigmy Pony
11-07-2023, 14:01
Asda’s Extra Special Parmesan and Garlic Mini Twists are cheap and they're made in Switzerland. They keep saying it on Times radio.

"Our cheese twists are made near the Jura Mountains in Switzerland with Parmigiano Reggiano and hints of garlic.According to independent taste tests 77% of people said ASDA’s Extra Special Parmesan & Garlic Mini Twists are tastier than Fortnum & Mason’s."

Yeah but then you've got this:
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcRmNUHHtAyDRmSTnZYEQOLkDYnrFjZ w3FReT0-KY4A1DepAdspwItuhc5oEcDyERVkoUjKiQZX1IaXBMzIX-892y2taxMe-2Is2ZB4f11YrEbvMJpIA6tllfw&usqp=CAc

Nine quid for half a pound! Probably even more if you want one with the holes filled in.