PDA

View Full Version : NEBO 13 Synthonia.

Floyddroid
27-04-2023, 21:15
This is a new thread to share information about NEBO 13 (North East Bake Off) which due to unfortunate circumstances could not be held at the previously arranged venue. It will now be held at the Billingham Synthonia club on Teesside (see details in the image below). Please do not hesitate to contact me should you require any further information via the NEBO Facebook page (Messenger) or email me at stevep@progzilla.com
Please accept my profound apology for any inconvenience though necessary changes were brought about by matters beyond my control. For those who may need to rearrange accommodation there is a Premier Inn at Cole Lane, Wolviston which is only a short taxi ride away. Billingham Railway station is a ten minute walk and there is ample parking and easy loading facilities. I plan to visit and gather more information on Saturday 29th April and will post updates here and the NEBO Facebook page as i gather more facts. I hope this doesn't deter anyone from making the journey. NEBO has a history of adapting to new surroundings and rising to the challenges they present. Can i ask for another show of hands just so i have an idea of who will be coming and what equipment you intend to bring. See you down there!

https://i.imgur.com/EiSqYK3.jpg

Swann36
27-04-2023, 22:12
Having looked to see where it was in relation to Hartlepool , where I’d never been to before as I’m not familiar with your part of the world sadly , I’m happy to say I’ll see you on the 13th at the cricket club :D

Floyddroid
28-04-2023, 13:39
Having looked to see where it was in relation to Hartlepool , where I’d never been to before as I’m not familiar with your part of the world sadly , I’m happy to say I’ll see you on the 13th at the cricket club :D

:) Wow, fantastic. See you there.

Macca
28-04-2023, 17:16
I think me and Steve will be turning up. There's a lot of stuff I could bring, if anyone wants a go on any of this let me know:

DACs - Topping E30, Soncoz SGD1

Philips 'Black Tulip' pre/power combo

Krell KSA50S power amp

Pre amps - Avalon BT2, Nelson Pass DCB1

Audiolab 600CDT CD Transport

NAD C320BEE integrated (Giant killer!)

Not sure if room for speakers but could maybe bring some small-ish ones, Bang & Olufsen.

Pigmy Pony
28-04-2023, 20:14
I think me and Steve will be turning up. There's a lot of stuff I could bring, if anyone wants a go on any of this let me know:

Krell KSA50S power amp

Not sure if room for speakers but could maybe bring some small-ish ones, Bang & Olufsen.

Yes we will - I booked rooms at a Premier Inn last night. Apparently I booked with the wrong one (Stockton-on-Tees), but it's still close by. I might have to use the van to go, in which case there'll be room for anything you want to take.

I doubt I have anything of interest to bring, so I'll just bring lots of beer money :)

Floyddroid
29-04-2023, 07:48
[QUOTE=Macca;1346258]I think me and Steve will be turning up. There's a lot of stuff I could bring, if anyone wants a go on any of this let me know:

Krell KSA50S power amp

Not sure if room for speakers but could maybe bring some small-ish ones, Bang & Olufsen.[/QUOTE

]I would love to hear the amps. Be great to see you guys again. Its been too long.

Floyddroid
29-04-2023, 07:51
I am seriously thinking of taking my Progmeister specials (Speakers) depending on my son wwho will need to help me get them there and back.

Qwin
29-04-2023, 07:55
I would love to hear those Steve.

Pigmy Pony
29-04-2023, 08:30
Shaping up to be a great day :) Looks like there'll be no shortage of amps, but I'll bring my MF A5 integrated anyway, which is a performance bargain I think.

Floyddroid
29-04-2023, 14:22
Shaping up to be a great day :) Looks like there'll be no shortage of amps, but I'll bring my MF A5 integrated anyway, which is a performance bargain I think.

Excellent.

Floyddroid
30-04-2023, 09:48
A quick update gentlemen. I visited the Synthonia cricket club on 29:04:2023. I met with Norma who is the link person for the hiring of the room and facilities. I was joined by fellow Neboite Gordon Halftree to give a second opinion on the room. We both agreed that although it is on the large side we can work with it. The cricket club fulfils 80%-90% of our criteria which is more than we can expect given the short notice of having to find a new venue.
The Synthonia club like our previous venue doesn’t provide food so I intend to visit the surrounding area seek out food options like Pizza delivery, food shops, cafe’s etc. Norma has no problem with us taking in our own food. There looked to be a reasonable choice of ale and booze. Pumps for John Smiths, Bier Morreti, Strongbow cider (original and dark fruit) are available. We didn’t sample them on this occasion but the bars look well kept. Indeed, the club looks very well kept in general and well situated for music reproduction.
The car park will be locked overnight and Norma said she is willing to come in on Sunday morning to open the room to enable us to remove equipment left overnight. A very kind thing to do methinks. For those staying overnight in motorhomes there is limited space just outside the gates. For those wishing to leave their vehicles overnight the car park is monitored with CCTV hence those with motorhomes being asked to park off site as any movements may trigger alarms. Please keep your eyes peeled here for further updates.

Steve
https://i.imgur.com/cQmouil.jpg

Pigmy Pony
30-04-2023, 10:28
That's a big space! Plenty of room for dancing :)

Qwin
30-04-2023, 11:04
Better pack my Cuban heals.

Qwin
30-04-2023, 14:04
So..........

I will be bringing a file based system built around:

Okto DAC8 stereo DAC/Streamer
Schiit Freya+ Pre Amp
Event Opal Active speakers

I will also bring an LDA MCA3 Hybrid valve phono stage.

Halfway Tree
30-04-2023, 15:46
I'll be bringing the LX521s as mentioned before together with a small fanless PC, 8 channel Okto DAC and Apollon Audio NCore 8 channel amp. I'll also bring the analogue x-over for the LX521s so a 2 channel DAC w/vol control, pre-amp, phono/TT etc can be run through the system.

As Steve mentioned the room is big, but should be OK hopefully. We'll just have to sit closer to the speakers if necessary. :) I didn't measure it accurately, but it's approx 10m by 15m. Steve's picture is looking across the 10m width.

The car park is right next to the function room so loading/unloading should be straightforward.

Looking forward to seeing everyone!

Macca
30-04-2023, 16:07
As Steve mentioned the room is big, but should be OK hopefully. We'll just have to sit closer to the speakers if necessary. :) I didn't measure it accurately, but it's approx 10m by 15m. Steve's picture is looking across the 10m width.

we can pretend we're American audiophiles with their massive rooms.

Bloke on another forum says needs speakers for a big room. Posts picture of room and it's beyond a joke. I've been in cathedrals that were smaller.

Lawrence001
30-04-2023, 18:39
I am seriously thinking of taking my Progmeister specials (Speakers) depending on my son wwho will need to help me get them there and back.Are they the Kralk ones? I'd like to hear those.

Macca
30-04-2023, 19:51
me too.

Floyddroid
30-04-2023, 21:12
Are they the Kralk ones? I'd like to hear those.

Alan built mine to order based on his V200 design.

Mowgli
01-05-2023, 14:41
Alan built mine to order based on his V200 design.

Those V200's are very big speakers, I have the burr oak AR10's shown on Alan's website which look tiny next to the V200's. I will definitely look forward to hearing the Progmeister specials if you take them.

struth
01-05-2023, 14:59
is this alchris speakers ?

Lawrence001
01-05-2023, 18:29
Yes I said Kralk but I meant Alchris.

Halfway Tree
02-05-2023, 10:43
we can pretend we're American audiophiles with their massive rooms.

Bloke on another forum says needs speakers for a big room. Posts picture of room and it's beyond a joke. I've been in cathedrals that were smaller.

I looked at that last night - yes indeed, quite a room, wonder what the rest of the house is like.:scratch:

For a bit of fun I thought I'd ask ChatGPT how the LX521s would fare in the room at the cricket club. I'd already asked it about the speakers and it gave a 100% accurate account of how they worked, that they were active dipoles etc, etc so that was quite impressive.

Here's the answer it gave regarding use in that room:

"The Linkwitz LX521 loudspeaker is designed to work well in a wide range of room sizes, including larger rooms like the one you've described. However, the performance of the speakers will depend on a variety of factors, including the layout and acoustics of the room, the placement of the speakers, and the specific equipment being used to power the speakers.

In a room as large as 375 cubic meters, it's possible that the speakers may struggle to fill the space with sound, especially if the ceilings are high or the room has an open layout. To compensate for this, it may be necessary to add additional speakers or use a more powerful amplifier to drive the speakers."

Well, not bad, but the suggestion to use a more powerful amp tells me that it doesn't really understand that the LX521 will actually be limited by cone excursion in that room, way before amplifier clipping. It only takes about 100 watts at 30Hz to push those bass drivers to maximum excursion (56mm) even though the drivers themselves have ratings of 250 watts continuous and 500 watts peak.

Anyway, in that room we have a blank canvas to work with so there's the potential to make it work really well as long as we don't expect high SPLs sitting 10 metres away. At home I'm usually complaining about sidewalls that are too close, can't get the speakers far enough apart etc, so no excuses on that front with this room! :lol:

Macca
02-05-2023, 17:32
I looked at that last night - yes indeed, quite a room, wonder what the rest of the house is like.:scratch:

For a bit of fun I thought I'd ask ChatGPT how the LX521s would fare in the room at the cricket club. I'd already asked it about the speakers and it gave a 100% accurate account of how they worked, that they were active dipoles etc, etc so that was quite impressive.

Here's the answer it gave regarding use in that room:

"The Linkwitz LX521 loudspeaker is designed to work well in a wide range of room sizes, including larger rooms like the one you've described. However, the performance of the speakers will depend on a variety of factors, including the layout and acoustics of the room, the placement of the speakers, and the specific equipment being used to power the speakers.

In a room as large as 375 cubic meters, it's possible that the speakers may struggle to fill the space with sound, especially if the ceilings are high or the room has an open layout. To compensate for this, it may be necessary to add additional speakers or use a more powerful amplifier to drive the speakers."

Well, not bad, but the suggestion to use a more powerful amp tells me that it doesn't really understand that the LX521 will actually be limited by cone excursion in that room, way before amplifier clipping. It only takes about 100 watts at 30Hz to push those bass drivers to maximum excursion (56mm) even though the drivers themselves have ratings of 250 watts continuous and 500 watts peak.

Anyway, in that room we have a blank canvas to work with so there's the potential to make it work really well as long as we don't expect high SPLs sitting 10 metres away. At home I'm usually complaining about sidewalls that are too close, can't get the speakers far enough apart etc, so no excuses on that front with this room! :lol:

That ChatGP is just a glorified search engine dunno what all the fuss is about.

I'm looking forward to hearing the LX521s again.

I don't think there will be a problem with SPL unless the room is packed with people. Might be a good idea if everyone brings a blanket or a rug along so we can damp things down a bit if needed.

Floyddroid
02-05-2023, 20:42
That ChatGP is just a glorified search engine dunno what all the fuss is about.

I'm looking forward to hearing the LX521s again.

I don't think there will be a problem with SPL unless the room is packed with people. Might be a good idea if everyone brings a blanket or a rug along so we can damp things down a bit if needed.

Indeed, we need to get inventive. We've been here before. once at the airport hotel and also at The Wellington pub. We will sort the room. Its a great space for us to work with.

Lawrence001
03-05-2023, 08:30
I've just got an email from LNER saying their are strikes on the Friday and Saturday which is when I was coming up. Not looking good as they've withdrawn ticket sales on those days. I'll update when I hear more.

Pigmy Pony
03-05-2023, 09:03
I've just got an email from LNER saying their are strikes on the Friday and Saturday which is when I was coming up. Not looking good as they've withdrawn ticket sales on those days. I'll update when I hear more.

I thought you were organising lift with Mik Rik? Are you now travelling from south?

Lawrence001
03-05-2023, 09:34
Yes getting a lift on the day, but I need to come up from London on Friday to get there.

Pigmy Pony
03-05-2023, 10:18
Megabus! But you'd probably have to set off Wednesday to get there on time :(

Floyddroid
03-05-2023, 13:55
I'm afraid my sympathy for train drivers left me a while back. Very sad to hear this Lawrence. The bus is an option but it would spoil the day for you methinks. Its a good six hours on the National Express.

Lawrence001
03-05-2023, 16:14
I'll see what happens but now my wife has to go to a family funeral in the NW on Friday and she was going to look after the children. I think I'm cursed with getting to Nebo whatever I plan it always seems to go wrong. [emoji24]

Jac Hawk
03-05-2023, 16:48
Have you not thought about flying Lawrence, London to either Newcastle or Teesside and probably about the same price as a train ticket nowadays

struth
03-05-2023, 17:36
it can be, yes.. just depends on day etc

Lawrence001
03-05-2023, 21:32
Looks like it's about £200 each return and with 2 kids to bring it's not really feasible! Plus you have to get to Heathrow which is a trek.

Floyddroid
04-05-2023, 05:10
Sad as it is common sense must prevail and hopefully you can make it next time Lawrence. I have no love of the Eurovision song contest but i really do feel angry that the rail strike is effecting thousands of people who have spent time and money planning a trip there.

Jac Hawk
04-05-2023, 09:06
Well finally after 4 months in the repair shop it looks like i'll be getting my Primaluna Evo400i back just in time for NEBO, it went in at the beginning of January as after a few minutes of being turned on i'd get a bad valve light, always the same one, i'd bought new valves and swapped valves around but nothing worked so in it went. Unfortunately the amp was just out of warranty but after a few emails back and forth to Herman in the Netherlands He has sent over replacement parts FOC, the shop I took the amp to are just testing it for a few days to make sure everything is ok so i'll keep my fingers crossed.

Qwin
04-05-2023, 10:41
You still bringing a turntable or two Mike?
I'll bring the LDA phono stage.

Jac Hawk
04-05-2023, 12:48
You still bringing a turntable or two Mike?
I'll bring the LDA phono stage.

Yes Ken a Thorens or 2

Qwin
04-05-2023, 13:01
:thumbsup:

Floyddroid
04-05-2023, 22:24
I hope all goes well with the PL. I would like to hear it again.

Swann36
05-05-2023, 10:33
As this will be my first time at anything like NEBO let alone NEBO itself,

would be ok if I brought my Mingda Passive Pre MC-9 ? (Might be something a bit out of the ordinary) and if so should I bring some cables it’s rca or XLR in and rca out ?

Floyddroid
05-05-2023, 20:04
Please do Lloyd.

mik_rik
05-05-2023, 20:16
Looking at the size of the room,it may be a tall order for 15watts of my valve amp to fill and do it justice.
would it be of interest to bring my Pioneer SX-1250 70's receiver to NEBO ? to give it a run out-if I can get it out of its lair

Mick

Macca
05-05-2023, 20:20
anything 70s or 80s is of interest to me.

Lawrence001
05-05-2023, 21:12
It looks ok

https://thevintagehifishack.com/197677-pioneer-sx-1250/

Jac Hawk
05-05-2023, 22:29

you’ll like the Pioneer SA7800 I’m bringing then, it’s in fantastic condition for it’s age and sounds great too

Macca
06-05-2023, 06:56
you’ll like the Pioneer SA7800 I’m bringing then, it’s in fantastic condition for it’s age and sounds great too

Undoubtedly. :) Maybe I will bring the B&O speakers so we have some good vintage jobs to use with these old amps?

Jac Hawk
06-05-2023, 08:44
Undoubtedly. :) Maybe I will bring the B&O speakers so we have some good vintage jobs to use with these old amps?

Also bringing my KEF 105 mk1’s mate, they’re as vintage as they come

Macca
06-05-2023, 09:10

Superb I would love to get a listen to them. They out-vintage my B&O by 4 years too.

Floyddroid
06-05-2023, 11:08
Looking at the size of the room,it may be a tall order for 15watts of my valve amp to fill and do it justice.
would it be of interest to bring my Pioneer SX-1250 70's receiver to NEBO ? to give it a run out-if I can get it out of its lair

Mick

Do it young men.

Halfway Tree
06-05-2023, 19:06

It would be great to hear these as they have always looked like interesting speakers to me and there's a little connection story between these speakers and Siegfried Linkwitz. Laurie Fincham at KEF, who I'm pretty sure designed the 105s, and Sigfried Linkwitz were good friends and communicated regularly during the 70s, particularly around crossover design. Fincham was especially interested in this new crossover topology that Linkwitz and his Hewlett-Packard workmate Russ Riley had developed. The original idea of cascading two Butterworth filters actually came from Russ Riley. It was known around the Hewlett-Packard hifi group as the Riley-Linkwitz filter.

When Siegfried Linkwitz died Laurie Fincham wrote a very eloquent tribute to his friend (https://www.linkwitzlab.com/about_me.htm) (scroll down the page) and said that the 105 was the first KEF speaker to use the Riley-Linkwitz filter - except they called it the Linkwitz-Riley filter, and that was the name that has stuck in the hi-fi world since then.

Halfway Tree
06-05-2023, 19:16

Mick

I have a pair of Magneplanar MG1s of that vintage. They would go very well with the Pioneer I would think. They're easy to drive as they are pretty much a purely resistive 5 ohm load. I have no idea where the stands are though, but if I can cobble together a couple of pieces of wood as feet I'll see if I can get them in the car.

We can get all nostalgic over the good old days! :lol:

Pigmy Pony
07-05-2023, 08:37
I have a pair of Magneplanar MG1s of that vintage. They would go very well with the Pioneer I would think. They're easy to drive as they are pretty much a purely resistive 5 ohm load. I have no idea where the stands are though, but if I can cobble together a couple of pieces of wood as feet I'll see if I can get them in the car.

We can get all nostalgic over the good old days! :lol:

If they're wood floors we may need some floor protectors:

https://www.priory-antiques.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/BREW_TEN_BITTER.jpg

Macca
07-05-2023, 08:58

https://www.priory-antiques.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/BREW_TEN_BITTER.jpg

Here's one for you:

https://i.ibb.co/KwtqsYS/pony.jpg (https://ibb.co/m8nqymg)

struth
07-05-2023, 09:37

maybe some furniture moving straps would be a good way to move heavy things like that

Jac Hawk
07-05-2023, 10:13
Yep the MG1’s if I remember weigh about 25 to 30 kilos, the KEF’s must weigh about the same if not a tad more, luckily though the KEF’s are on wheels ��

Pigmy Pony
07-05-2023, 15:45
Here's one for you:

https://i.ibb.co/KwtqsYS/pony.jpg (https://ibb.co/m8nqymg)

And one for yourself :)

https://media.danmurphys.com.au/dmo/product/2000003132-004-2.png?impolicy=PROD_MD

Macca
07-05-2023, 15:49
https://i.ibb.co/rypz5Zq/pony2.jpg (https://ibb.co/SvmMVKH)

My computer really doesn't like your computer - for some reason I really can't fathom. Where are computer people when you need them?

(Out spending the wads of cash they make sorting out nonsense like this I suppose).

Pigmy Pony
07-05-2023, 15:54
https://i.ibb.co/rypz5Zq/pony2.jpg (https://ibb.co/SvmMVKH)

My computer really doesn't like your computer - for some reason I really can't fathom. Where are computer people when you need them?

(Out spending the wads of cash they make sorting out nonsense like this I suppose).

I think it's at my end with this one, I couldn't get the pic on my screen either. But it is now. To be fair you're not missing much...

Macca
07-05-2023, 15:57
Ah now I can see it!

Jac Hawk
07-05-2023, 17:57
Is Alan “Firebottle” coming this year? His trousers are always a high point!

Pigmy Pony
07-05-2023, 18:42

No, I think there's some big do relating to his paramotor thing, which clashes.

Floyddroid
08-05-2023, 08:07

Sadly no. He will be sorely missed as Alan always contributes not only his massive enthusiasm but some interesting gear. I'll really miss his input and addition of colour and flair to the day. Hopefully he will get there next time.

https://i.imgur.com/yL6M6EG.jpg

Halfway Tree
08-05-2023, 08:34

I have a 50 year old "boom box" although it calls itself a "Stereophonic Music Centre" - unfortunately it weighs close to 150 kilos and won't fit in my car even if I took all the seats out.

Shame it and Alan aren't coming as we could have had a colour bake off between it and Alan's trousers!

https://i.imgur.com/Np0sfPX.jpg

struth
08-05-2023, 09:49
dont recognise that model.. mind we didnt use a lot of rock ola's

Halfway Tree
08-05-2023, 10:13
It's a 1973/4 Rock-Ola 454, Grant. Other than re-capping and replacing the output transistors in the power amp it's pretty much original. Overall its in good condition, especially the cosmetics which tend to take a beating - you know, spilled beer etc.

This model is often called the Star Trek jukebox because of its resemblance to the original flight decks in the TV series. I like the way the top dome appears to float above the rest. In general most 70s jukeboxes were pretty ugly affairs IMO. They were akin to American cars - the 50s and 60s models were a wonderful over the top mixture of curved glass and chrome, whilst in the 70s US cars became even bigger and more powerful, but generally uglier too.

There are some very clever touches to the design. And the complex read-in/write-out mechanism is a foreunner of computer disk drives no doubt.

You sound like you have some experience with jukeboxes?

struth
08-05-2023, 10:20
It's a 1973/4 Rock-Ola 454, Grant. Other than re-capping and replacing the output transistors in the power amp it's pretty much original. Overall its in good condition, especially the cosmetics which tend to take a beating - you know, spilled beer etc.

This model is often called the Star Trek jukebox because of its resemblance to the original flight decks in the TV series. I like the way the top dome appears to float above the rest. In general most 70s jukeboxes were pretty ugly affairs IMO. They were akin to American cars - the 50s and 60s models were a wonderful over the top mixture of curved glass and chrome, whilst in the 70s US cars became even bigger and more powerful, but generally uglier too.

There are some very clever touches to the design. And the complex read-in/write-out mechanism is a foreunner of computer disk drives no doubt.

You sound like you have some experience with jukeboxes?

i worked for a hire company as a tech. we mostly used rowe ami stuff and nsm ones.. but had a good few rock olas, wurlitzers, and a few more i cant think of off top of head. was a long time ago tbh and cd's were becoming more popular hence rowe, as they did a few, r92 was a twin cd with computer, and the more modern encore which was the backbone going into 90's.
great things, and i still regret not buying a few when we shut up shop as we were offered stock cheap

Jac Hawk
08-05-2023, 12:44
Well normally I have come to NEBO in an estate or a people carrier, however I’ve sold my Renault Scenic and as a result will be coming in my Volvo saloon. My thinking is I just fill it with as much gear as possible, so my KEF speakers, phono stage, 2 x amps, 1 or 2 turntables and probably an ikea table and maybe my RCA, so if anyone wants to bring some dirty records your more than welcome to put it to use

Halfway Tree
08-05-2023, 12:47
Ah, so you have some experience at the business end of these machines. Quite different from if you are doing it for a hobby I imagine.

My excuse is that it was a jukebox that got me into music. I grew up in a tiny one-pub village. Back then children weren't allowed in pubs at all (I was about 10 or 11, start of the 60s), but during the day when the pub was closed the landlady would leave the back door open to a room that had a jukebox. A group of us including some older teens who had pocket money would go in that room and the music and the machine just fascinated me. Looking back I'm sure the landlady left the door open deliberately so she could make some extra money from the jukebox. But to us it was the coolest thing as we knew we were somewhere we werent supposed to be and listening to something that we didn't hear on the radio at home. As a group we stuck together during our teenage years and would sit around at my house listening to blues on a Dansette that I spent my all my money on.

So, all this time and money I've spent on this hobby over the years is down to a jukebox.

Apologies for the OT. But I wouldn't be going to NEBO either if it wasn't for that jukebox.

struth
08-05-2023, 14:08
Ah, so you have some experience at the business end of these machines. Quite different from if you are doing it for a hobby I imagine.

My excuse is that it was a jukebox that got me into music. I grew up in a tiny one-pub village. Back then children weren't allowed in pubs at all (I was about 10 or 11, start of the 60s), but during the day when the pub was closed the landlady would leave the back door open to a room that had a jukebox. A group of us including some older teens who had pocket money would go in that room and the music and the machine just fascinated me. Looking back I'm sure the landlady left the door open deliberately so she could make some extra money from the jukebox. But to us it was the coolest thing as we knew we were somewhere we werent supposed to be and listening to something that we didn't hear on the radio at home. As a group we stuck together during our teenage years and would sit around at my house listening to blues on a Dansette that I spent my all my money on.

So, all this time and money I've spent on this hobby over the years is down to a jukebox.

Apologies for the OT. But I wouldn't be going to NEBO either if it wasn't for that jukebox.

no doubt about it. jukes are great fun, and thats what music is all about really...

Pigmy Pony
08-05-2023, 14:50
Well normally I have come to NEBO in an estate or a people carrier, however I’ve sold my Renault Scenic and as a result will be coming in my Volvo saloon. My thinking is I just fill it with as much gear as possible, so my KEF speakers, phono stage, 2 x amps, 1 or 2 turntables and probably an ikea table and maybe my RCA, so if anyone wants to bring some dirty records your more than welcome to put it to use

Do you mean your record cleaning machine? If so, that's a kind offer, though I'm probably the only vinyl user on here that doesn't already have one (thank you Kickstarter :steam:)

Mike, feel free to give me a call if you need another warm body to help lug your gear up the stairs - that could be any time Friday, I know you mentioned going up to your brother's :)

Jac Hawk
08-05-2023, 15:14
Cheers Steve, I’ll give you a call

Floyddroid
08-05-2023, 16:11
NEBO 13 Synthonia update!
There will only be snacks to buy from the bar At Billingham Synthonia CC so may i suggest bring food with you if you are staying all day. Alternatively there are numerous Places to eat in Billingham town centre which is about ten - 15 minutes walk. I am informed that the best Pizza place in Billingham is Billy town Pizza's. Here is a link... https://www.billytownpizza.co.uk/
However, they do NOT do gluten free. I am happy to source other food delivery should anyone like me to.

Floyddroid
08-05-2023, 16:15
Please let me know if there is anything anyone would like me to find out for them.

It would be helpful if anyone arriving in larger vehicles could bring along supports/racks etc to accommodate components. No sweat if it can't be done. It's Nebo, we will adapt.

mik_rik
08-05-2023, 16:19
Well,I fired up my SX-1250 receiver for a test run,and it went into protection mode after a couple of minutes !.
Looks like work to be done.Fortunately there is a wealth of information on the American site,Audiokarma.
Fingers crossed.

Pigmy Pony
08-05-2023, 16:48
NEBO 13 Synthonia update!
There will only be snacks to buy from the bar At Billingham Synthonia CC so may i suggest bring food with you if you are staying all day. Alternatively there are numerous Places to eat in Billingham town centre which is about ten - 15 minutes walk. I am informed that the best Pizza place in Billingham is Billy town Pizza's. Here is a link... https://www.billytownpizza.co.uk/
However, they do NOT do gluten free. I am happy to source other food delivery should anyone like me to.

Thanks for the heads up - I try to maintain a balanced diet these days, which will mean a healthy packed lunch, and a shitload of pizza later on. And beer all day, it's important to stay hydrated :)

Edit: do you know if they have a microwave? That could be handy

Floyddroid
08-05-2023, 17:22
Thanks for the heads up - I try to maintain a balanced diet these days, which will mean a healthy packed lunch, and a shitload of pizza later on. And beer all day, it's important to stay hydrated :)

Edit: do you know if they have a microwave? That could be handy

Ha ha, i'll find out.

Floyddroid
08-05-2023, 17:23
Well,I fired up my SX-1250 receiver for a test run,and it went into protection mode after a couple of minutes !.
Looks like work to be done.Fortunately there is a wealth of information on the American site,Audiokarma.
Fingers crossed.

Fingers crossed maestro.

Pigmy Pony
12-05-2023, 16:59
Counting off the hours now! :rock: Drive safe everybody :)

Floyddroid
12-05-2023, 19:22
All gone a bit tits up for me but i will be there tomorrow and will remain there all day in my roll as host. Sadly i am unable to bring anything due to transport problems. I will bring some music with me though.

Lawrence001
12-05-2023, 19:22
Oh no hope it's not too serious. Wish I could have made it.

Floyddroid
12-05-2023, 19:34
All gone a bit tits up for me but i will be there tomorrow and will remain there all day in my roll as host. Sadly i am unable to bring anything due to transport problems. I will bring some music with me though.

mik_rik
12-05-2023, 20:33
Parts for my Pioneer sx-1250 have not arrived so it's back to the Radford but I may bring a Technics su-v8 amp instead.
If you want Steve,you can try and fit some gear into my car-no problem,pm me.

Floyddroid
13-05-2023, 06:43
Parts for my Pioneer sx-1250 have not arrived so it's back to the Radford but I may bring a Technics su-v8 amp instead.
If you want Steve,you can try and fit some gear into my car-no problem,pm me.

Its ok Mik, its just as well i'm not taking anything, i gots ta keep me eye on you lot until i can't see ha ha.

Floyddroid
13-05-2023, 06:47
Lets just do what we always do and have a brill day.

struth
13-05-2023, 10:30
hope everyone arrived safe..

Floyddroid
14-05-2023, 07:41
hope everyone arrived safe..

They did Grant and hopefully the stragglers will get themselves home safe and sound today. Twoz a grand day despite the odds.

struth
14-05-2023, 09:02
They did Grant and hopefully the stragglers will get themselves home safe and sound today. Twoz a grand day despite the odds.

thats great... not too many sore heads i hope:D

Mowgli
14-05-2023, 14:46
Thank you for hosting Steve, some fantastic kit, good music and great people all together made for a very enjoyable day! I will certainly look forward to future Nebo events.

Floyddroid
15-05-2023, 18:22
thats great... not too many sore heads i hope:D

All very sensible on this occasion Grant. Even me tee hee.

Macca
15-05-2023, 21:16
Who want to see some pictures?

Going to be a show so we'll probably need a decent size room:

https://i.ibb.co/09c43VV/nebo1.jpg (https://ibb.co/rpm8Jff)
[/url]

And some loudspeakers. These'll do:

https://i.ibb.co/ZYCstRb/nebo2.jpg (https://imgbb.com/)

And these:

https://i.ibb.co/T8Hfp2h/nebo3.jpg (https://imgbb.com/)

And these:

https://i.ibb.co/wBZhhjK/nebo5.jpg (https://imgbb.com/)

Probably need one of those things that plays those big black discs:

https://i.ibb.co/zQYrjwJ/nebo-4.jpg (https://imgbb.com/)

And what about an amplifier?

'You're not going to hear anything without an amplifier, grandad!'

https://i.ibb.co/ZWCRZpn/nebo6.jpg (https://imgbb.com/)
[url=https://imgbb.com/]

some more tomorrow.

Pigmy Pony
16-05-2023, 06:14
Thank you for hosting Steve, some fantastic kit, good music and great people all together made for a very enjoyable day! I will certainly look forward to future Nebo events.

Was indeed enjoyable, informative and fun. I glad we live in a world that has people like Steve in it. Thank you for all your efforts in making this a great day out :)

Only disappointment was that nobody fell off their chair :doh: Maybe next year...

Floyddroid
16-05-2023, 07:44
https://i.imgur.com/PVURF02.jpg

Please click on the following link to read a synopsis of the day. I used my website for convenience reasons. Thank you to everyone who came along. A most excellent day. Please message me with your views on the venue and if i should attempt to use it again.
http://theprogmeister.com/nebo-13-its-just-not-cricket/

struth
16-05-2023, 08:36
very good..

Floyddroid
16-05-2023, 10:19
Was indeed enjoyable, informative and fun. I glad we live in a world that has people like Steve in it. Thank you for all your efforts in making this a great day out :)

Only disappointment was that nobody fell off their chair :doh: Maybe next year...

Very kind. Thank you.

Halfway Tree
16-05-2023, 17:10
Good write up Steve, which pretty much captured the day both in spirit and in the gear we got to hear.

It was good to see the regulars again, and meet quite a few new people, too. As usual some good music - I always discover something new at these get togethers. I think we ran the gamut of music genres from traditional jazz, jazz fusion, modern jazz, prog., electronica, R&B, 60s/70s rock, reggae and I'm sure several others that I can't remember.

Oh, btw, Halfway Tree, my moniker on here is an area in Kingston, Jamaica , half way between uptown and downtown, not my last name. :lol:

Floyddroid
16-05-2023, 18:07
Good write up Steve, which pretty much captured the day both in spirit and in the gear we got to hear.

It was good to see the regulars again, and meet quite a few new people, too. As usual some good music - I always discover something new at these get togethers. I think we ran the gamut of music genres from traditional jazz, jazz fusion, modern jazz, prog., electronica, R&B, 60s/70s rock, reggae and I'm sure several others that I can't remember.

Oh, btw, Halfway Tree, my moniker on here is an area in Kingston, Jamaica , half way between uptown and downtown, not my last name. :lol:

Soon as said as mended Mr Halfway.

Lawrence001
16-05-2023, 18:11
Great write up Steve I wish I could have made it this time.

I also read your page about a shrinking world and found it quite moving, recommended reading to others on here. I know what it's like to struggle to be around (some?) people at times.

Macca
16-05-2023, 18:59
Some more pics as promised:

EAT Phono stage

https://i.ibb.co/58hhJRD/nebo-eat-phono.jpg (https://ibb.co/DCffjRX)

Pioneer Integrated with proper level meters. Avalon BT2 preamp sat on top.

https://i.ibb.co/CVpHWQJ/nebo-pioneer.jpg (https://ibb.co/BTHCwB4)

Same Pioneer driving the KEF Model 105- this was a really good combo

https://i.ibb.co/T2wB0HC/nebo-kef.jpg (https://ibb.co/dMf0pQh)

Musical Fidelity A5. This is a really good amp. Best overall sound of the day for me was this with the KEF 105 playing some Black Stone Cherry. Totally nailed it.

https://i.ibb.co/pQSvdSQ/nebo-mf.jpg (https://ibb.co/qCvMpvC)

Jimbo
16-05-2023, 19:03
Look like those KEFs could kick out some bass?

Floyddroid
16-05-2023, 19:35
Great write up Steve I wish I could have made it this time.

I also read your page about a shrinking world and found it quite moving, recommended reading to others on here. I know what it's like to struggle to be around (some?) people at times.

Thank you and thank you Lawrence. Much appreciated.

Floyddroid
16-05-2023, 19:37

EAT Phono stage

Same Pioneer driving the KEF Model 104 - this was a really good combo

Musical Fidelity A5. This is a really good amp. Best overall sound of the day for me was this with the KEF 104 playing some Black Stone Cherry. Totally nailed it.

Excellent pictures Martin.

Macca
16-05-2023, 19:38
Last few:

https://i.ibb.co/hRXSNjr/nebo-prina.jpg (https://ibb.co/8DzHwpG)

https://i.ibb.co/cyv1CjJ/nebo-freya.jpg (https://ibb.co/sgP26Zj)

https://i.ibb.co/NtMyMRK/nebo-apollon.jpg (https://ibb.co/n6FLFpj)

https://i.ibb.co/cYQLhQJ/nebo-okto.jpg (https://ibb.co/3Rczmc1)

Macca
16-05-2023, 19:41
Look like those KEFs could kick out some bass?

yeah really good bass, they are very impressive speakers even by modern standards.

Pigmy Pony
16-05-2023, 20:36

EAT Phono stage

Same Pioneer driving the KEF Model 104 - this was a really good combo

Musical Fidelity A5. This is a really good amp. Best overall sound of the day for me was this with the KEF 104 playing some Black Stone Cherry. Totally nailed it.

Thank you kind sir. The A5 is a keeper :) But then I'd happily keep everything that came to NEBO.

Jac Hawk
18-05-2023, 07:53
Macca the KEF’s are the 105 mk1’s btw

Macca
18-05-2023, 17:10
Macca the KEF’s are the 105 mk1’s btw

I need an eye test I guess. Will amend.

Floyddroid
28-05-2023, 21:06
So, do we want to return to the Billingham Synthonia or return to the Nursery? Answers on a postcard please if indeed either of them will have us? Or if indeed folks still want to attend. Please let me know fellow Neboites.

Qwin
29-05-2023, 07:25
I like the space and easy access at the Synthonia.
I like the acoustics and prefer the beer at the Nursery.

Would be happy at either Steve.

Lawrence001
29-05-2023, 07:30
I'd love to come next time if I'm free and there's no train strikes!

Sent from my PCT-L29 using Tapatalk

Jac Hawk
29-05-2023, 10:03
I’m in agreement with Ken, either way you can count me in

Ali Tait
29-05-2023, 16:12
Yep still up for coming Steve, just unfortunate I couldn’t make it this time.

Floyddroid
29-05-2023, 16:22
Gr8888888888888888888888888

mik_rik
29-05-2023, 16:44
I'll be there,either venue diz me

Pigmy Pony
29-05-2023, 19:33
Same as Ken says. I think. I liked The Nursery (which had pies), but Synthonia has more space and better access.

Floyddroid
02-06-2023, 21:31
When do we want the next one to occur?

Pigmy Pony
03-06-2023, 06:09
That's the tricky part Steve, picking a date... whichever you choose will never suit everyone. Personally any time of the year is good for me. Although I'm away next week :)

Floyddroid
04-06-2023, 16:55
How about early in the new year?

Pigmy Pony
05-06-2023, 08:17

:thumbsup: After the anti climax that is Christmas/New Year, it'd be nice to have something to look forward to. Might simplify your venue choice - which has the better heating? :)

Qwin
05-06-2023, 15:54

Floyddroid
07-06-2023, 18:08
How about February 24? discuss.

Swann36
07-06-2023, 20:29
As good a date as any for me in 2024 , heating might be important that time of year though

Qwin
07-06-2023, 21:02
Possibility of snow, for us guys travelling across the Pennines?
Just a thought.

Floyddroid
08-06-2023, 16:00
Possibility of snow, for us guys travelling across the Pennines?
Just a thought.

Gotcha, Just let me know when you feel it best.

Qwin
08-06-2023, 16:30
Gotcha, Just let me know when you feel it best.

Well.........

Sat 18th March is not very good, as it has St Patricks day(wife's Birthday) and Mothering Sunday either side of it.

Sat 25th March seems pretty clear of other events and any snow falling, even on high ground, is likely to be very light by then.

So Sat 25th seems a good option.
It would work for me.

Pigmy Pony
13-06-2023, 06:55
Well.........

Sat 18th March is not very good, as it has St Patricks day(wife's Birthday) and Mothering Sunday either side of it.

Sat 25th March seems pretty clear of other events and any snow falling, even on high ground, is likely to be very light by then.

So Sat 25th seems a good option.
It would work for me.

Mowgli
13-06-2023, 20:59
Sat 25th works for me.

Anyone heading to North West Show this weekend?

Lawrence001
17-06-2023, 06:42
I'll do my best, it's a good weekend in theory.

Pigmy Pony
17-06-2023, 07:44
I'll do my best, it's a good weekend in theory.

What, NEBO or Cranage?

Lawrence001
17-06-2023, 09:15
Ah Nebo, are we talking about Cranage now?

Pigmy Pony
17-06-2023, 13:17
Ah Nebo, are we talking about Cranage now?

No, that would be a thread drift too far. I was thrown by Mowgli's post, and wasn't sure if you were replying to that :doh:

Floyddroid
17-06-2023, 15:18
No Nebo

Macca
17-06-2023, 15:41
if I can get a lift then I can do any day except Christmas day.

I bring along a Krell for you next time.

Floyddroid
17-06-2023, 16:54
When i suggested February 24 i meant 2024 not the date. My apology i should have made myself a little more clear.

Lawrence001
17-06-2023, 17:37
No NeboNo Nebo? That's a shame.

Floyddroid
17-06-2023, 19:52
No Nebo? That's a shame.

There will be early in 2024 Lawrence.

Jac Hawk
02-07-2023, 10:56
I’m in Steve, just name the date

Ali Tait
02-07-2023, 18:59