PDA

View Full Version : Speakers advise

Rockerman
15-04-2023, 08:51
Hi all I'm setting up my hifi system but the waltdele diamond 220 book shelf speakers I have got damaged when moving. So I would like some floor standing speakers and been offered a pair of Monitor Audio Silver 5i Floor Standing Speakers for £120 i was just wondering if anyone could advise if this a good buy the speakers are in very good condition and would look nice in the room I'm putting the hifi in. Thank you.

Macca
15-04-2023, 09:06
A lot of speaker for that money - but like most MA speakers they are a little bit toppy so I would make sure your new room is well damped to compensate.

wouldn't be my choice for a sparsely furnished room with bare walls and wood floors.

Lawrence001
15-04-2023, 11:55
The silver range is where the MA speakers get good. Some people like the toppy sound too, depends on your taste. They impress at dealers initially but long term use probably not for me.

Rockerman
15-04-2023, 17:23
Thank you for your input on this I have all so been looking at some Monitor Audio Radius 270HD 270 HD Speakers.the speakers look ideal for the space available to put them as the speakers need to slim. My budget is only about £200 that why I'm looking on the second hand market.

Macca
15-04-2023, 19:20
I don't know those Radius models.

Pigmy Pony
15-04-2023, 22:50
I have the Radius 270s in my a/v set up, although I did have then doing stereo duties for a while. i found them to be pretty detailed, and a bigger sound than you might expect, and they really take up little space. But the drivers are teeny tiny and might benefit from being run with a modest sub.

Lawrence001
15-04-2023, 23:28
TBH if you go for the Radius it's not really hifi they are designed as satellite speakers for surround sound to be used with a sub.

Pigmy Pony
16-04-2023, 06:32
TBH if you go for the Radius it's not really hifi they are designed as satellite speakers for surround sound to be used with a sub.

You're right Lawrence, when I was using mine in a stereo for a few months i did have them running with a sub. And "surprisingly good" probably isn't good enough.

Maybe something like these?

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/iK8AAOSwcB5kHenM/s-l400.png

Mission 752.

Pieoftheday
16-04-2023, 08:45
Thank you for your input on this I have all so been looking at some Monitor Audio Radius 270HD 270 HD Speakers.the speakers look ideal for the space available to put them as the speakers need to slim. My budget is only about £200 that why I'm looking on the second hand market.
If the speakers have to be slim I'd definitely recommend some tannoy revolution dc4t:)

Macca
16-04-2023, 08:55
Not sure about the slim thing, how small is the room? A couple of inches either way isn't going to make any difference to anything - as the bishop said to the actress.

Rockerman
16-04-2023, 11:24
Thank you all for your advice on this. I have looked at the tannoy speaker and that look ideal. But I have found Polk Audio T50 4 Way Speaker new on my budget do anyone if these are any good.thahs in advance

Rockerman
16-04-2023, 12:01
Thank you all for your comments. I have looked at the tannoy speakers and they look ideal.but I have across a pair Polk Audio T50 4 Way Speaker that are in my budget. Do anyone know if these speakers are any good. Thank in advance

Rockerman
16-04-2023, 12:03
Sorry about the double post .

Macca
16-04-2023, 12:45
Thank you all for your comments. I have looked at the tannoy speakers and they look ideal.but I have across a pair Polk Audio T50 4 Way Speaker that are in my budget. Do anyone know if these speakers are any good. Thank in advance

reviewed and measured here https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/polk-t50-review-floor-standing-speaker.24890/

Some issues but a lot of speaker for the money. That peak in the mids might be a bit nasty, it would put me off them, but seems you can EQ it away - but then you'll need EQ.