PDA

View Full Version : Wanted valve amp for Tannoy Lockwood Majors 15” MG

themystical
26-03-2023, 08:28
Hi Guys. Looking for recommendations and suggestions for a valve amp to go with my newly purchased Lockwood Majors which have 15 inch Monitors Golds. What do you know about really great matches and what have you? I heard Marco’s Copper Amp about a decade ago with these and would say it was a fantastic match. Avinash

Wakefield Turntables
26-03-2023, 09:48
Radford STA 100's, or Sondex S100.

themystical
26-03-2023, 10:14
Radford STA 100's, or Sondex S100.

Hens teeth?

struth
26-03-2023, 10:34
big push pull valve jobby is probably best... there are 2 monos in pe that might interest you. 70 watt i think.

Macca
26-03-2023, 11:03
Lockwood Majors are pretty efficient, a Radford STA15 or 25 would do the job in most circumstances.

You can see in old photos studios using Tannoy DC speakers with QUAD 303 amplifiers - 30 watts.

The TD Copper amp is rated at 50 watts but in Marco's room it won't use more than 10 and that's only on peaks. Better to have it and not need it etc but there's no need for loads of power with those speakers unless the room is enormous - and good, powerful valve amps are very expensive. Why pay a lot extra for something you'll never use?

The Black Adder
26-03-2023, 13:39
Hi Guys. Looking for recommendations and suggestions for a valve amp to go with my newly purchased Lockwood Majors which have 15 inch Monitors Golds. What do you know about really great matches and what have you? I heard Marco’s Copper Amp about a decade ago with these and would say it was a fantastic match. Avinash

Hi Avinash.

I used to use a Copper amp and I can highly recommend it. But I have recently shifted over to a digital amp, its a Ultrafide U500DC. Very nice indeed and its certainly a refreshing way of enjoying these superb speakers even further.

Digital amps can go extremely well with 15" DC's. You just need to get it right.

Radford STA25 is also another highly recommended option as are AirTight.

Try to steer away from single ended amps if you can, they sound great, no doubt, but push-pull is where it's at.

Take a look at my website, it might be interesting for you.

https://www.tannoyista.com/

Regards

tannoydmt
26-03-2023, 15:19
I have just the thing for the Tannoys a pair of Manley Snapper valve power amps which I used with my Tannoy DMT15s when I had them. These amps produce a true 100 watts per channel with four EL34s per amp, they have true balanced or single ended inputs.

Wakefield Turntables
26-03-2023, 15:42
Hens teeth?

Not at all. Speak to Will @ Radford Revival, you might be VERY VERY surprised.

themystical
26-03-2023, 16:31
Hi Avinash.

I used to use a Copper amp and I can highly recommend it. But I have recently shifted over to a digital amp, its a Ultrafide U500DC. Very nice indeed and its certainly a refreshing way of enjoying these superb speakers even further.

Digital amps can go extremely well with 15" DC's. You just need to get it right.

Radford STA25 is also another highly recommended option as are AirTight.

Try to steer away from single ended amps if you can, they sound great, no doubt, but push-pull is where it's at.

Take a look at my website, it might be interesting for you.

https://www.tannoyista.com/

Regards
What an interesting website. It looks like you have been through the full journey with your Lockwood Majors. I agree with your sentiment about digital amps. In fact the best performance I had from my previous 12” HPD’s were using Ncores and not SE or push pull valve amps. I have not tried my Ncores with the Majors yet - will give tehem a try and provide some feedback.

themystical
26-03-2023, 16:35
I have just the thing for the Tannoys a pair of Manley Snapper valve power amps which I used with my Tannoy DMT15s when I had them. These amps produce a true 100 watts per channel with four EL34s per amp, they have true balanced or single ended inputs.

Mike those things look really good but possible eye watering in cost? Please PM me what you might be looking for them.

themystical
26-03-2023, 16:40
Not at all. Speak to Will @ Radford Revival, you might be VERY VERY surprised.
��

tannoydmt
26-03-2023, 17:17
PM sent

Edward
26-03-2023, 19:04
Def check out Radford in pretty much any configuration. I drive 15inch HPDs (Berkeley) with a Radford STA 25 and it never feels stressed even at high volumes in relatively large room. I also run the Tannoys with other amps. Currently with a Neurochrome 686, again with unfussed drive and clarity. Quality class D will work out nicely as well. Check out the Bel Canto amps currently for sale through Mr. C of Coherent Audio.

E

§

Miller
26-03-2023, 22:53
PYE HF12/PF91 or Uchida Sun Audio SV-300BE with Tamura Transformers and Emission Labs mesh plate 300b's...

I use the above with my Tannoys 15's so nothing else I can recommend obviously... Good luck with the hunt...

Macca
27-03-2023, 05:34
Hi Avinash.

I used to use a Copper amp and I can highly recommend it. But I have recently shifted over to a digital amp, its a Ultrafide U500DC.

I did mention this to you in your review thread, it isn't a digital amp. The 'D' in 'Class D' doesn't stand for 'Digital'.

walpurgis
27-03-2023, 07:11
I did mention this to you in your review thread, it isn't a digital amp. The 'D' in 'Class D' doesn't stand for 'Digital'.

Martin is right. The high frequency switching forms the 'envelope' for the lower audio band signal, rather similar to AM radio.