PDA

View Full Version : Has Rock become the new Jazz

John
08-09-2010, 15:14
I was listening to the radio and they were suggesting rock is not the commercial force it used to be, it argued that guitar based bands rarely get in the charts. Lets face it the icons talking about rock on TV today are the likes of James May and Jermy Clarkson hardly people in touch with youth culture.
For the UK at least perhaps rock has lost its appeal to the youth.

lurcher
08-09-2010, 17:03
http://www.kerrang.com/

John
08-09-2010, 18:31
My point exactly I remember buying the first mag by Kerrang many years ago

lurcher
09-09-2010, 00:00
I think maybe the disconnect is from assuming that commercial success is still related to the charts. I think the charts are certainly out of touch with a large part of youth culture (or at least that the way it seems looking at the music my kids seem interested in, 20, 17, 14), but I think Rock in all its forms remains popular with the same demographic is always was, its just that the media and hype machine pushes other forms of "music" in the popular press. I think that the mags I see in the newsagent like kerrang and many others, and the fact that mags like Guitar player are still in the same racks means its not gone away, its just hiding in plain sight. Kerrang must have some sort of audience, its got its own tv channel.

John
09-09-2010, 06:05
Yes I agree the press is too concerned with the charts. For me rock has always been about live music and albums The only single I ever bought about 3 singles so BCJ (big care job) about charts

DanJennings
09-09-2010, 09:21
You only have to look at the new iron maiden album being at no.1 in the album charts, as was Metallica's latest, and AC/DC's.... to see that rock is a massive commercial force.
Muse are one of the most popular bands in the world, and they're a PROG band (Sorry Andre) not that most of the people that buy their albums would even know what prog was...
I don't think that rock has lost its appeal to the youth either, not that I like their kind of music, but emo kids are everywhere where I live (Birmingham) and they're all sporting rock shirts (Bullet For My Valentine, My Chemical Romance, Trivium, and even older stuff like Guns N Roses, Zepp, Misfits etc)

John
09-09-2010, 11:38
Great post Dan
Its amazing Maiden are doing so well I saw them for 50p at the Bandwagon in Kingsbury (if you know your history about metal you will of have heard about this club...its where air guitar took on new meaning) before they got a record deal

goraman
15-09-2010, 04:38
My high school government teachers son was a manager or promotor for Iron Madain in there early years,He used to bring us band stuff for doing well in his class.I had gutar pics used in concert that Read "Boogie till you puke". I never was a big fan but I remember the ugly Eddie.