PDA

View Full Version : Hearing aids & Hi-Fi

legb4rsk
01-03-2023, 20:51
Because I'm an old bast*rd I will be having hearing aids fitted shortly. My hearing test showed a roll off at higher frequencies.This is quite common as you get older.
Just wondering what the effect of these will be when listening. I will be getting the latest NHS digital aids & would appreciate anyones experience of these.

Many thanks

Stewart

paulf-2007
01-03-2023, 21:29
A friend was given hearing aids and could no longer listen to his Oris horns with lowther drivers and ended up putting a different set up together.

walpurgis
02-03-2023, 08:07
My hearing test showed a roll off at higher frequencies. This is quite common as you get older.

Inevitable I would think.

These days, I can't hear above 10kHz in my good ear and have been deaf to high frequencies in my right ear since childhood. Doesn't seem to affect my enjoyment of Hi-Fi though. Not wanting to try hearing aids at the moment, I'd sooner keep saying 'pardon' to people :).

struth
02-03-2023, 08:17
Inevitable I would think.

These days, I can't hear above 10kHz in my good ear and have been deaf to high frequencies in my right ear since childhood. Doesn't seem to affect my enjoyment of Hi-Fi though. Not wanting to try hearing aids at the moment, I'd sooner keep saying 'pardon' to people :).

last i checked a good few yrs ago i was 11khz; i expect it to be nearer 10 now. it imo can be an improvement as most stuff above is inclined to be detrimental to enjoyment anyway:D

struth
02-03-2023, 08:32
just did an online one and really it was 40hz to 10khz. might have heard something below 40 but it wasnt worth commenting on. not bad for age i guess. not much goes below 40 worth me hearing

archiesdad
02-03-2023, 19:54
I wear a pair of h aids, hifi was my thought when I got home but it was fine, well better in fact as I could hear the bits I’d been missing, had to adjust the set up in the cars though as the treble and mids became more apparent. I had to turn the tv down, a lot, wife was chuffed though.

HackneyRF
02-03-2023, 21:56
I’ve had hearing aids for a while now Stewart, both NHS and private ones. The NHS pair I find to be OK but rather unsubtle and I find I feel like I’m being bludgeoned with the higher frequencies. I’m due back with them in a couple of weeks for a review so some fine tuning may help. The private ones are more refined and are much more adaptable to different environments. Music listening as been a revelation really with these. I really do know what I’ve been missing for a long time. They are not cheap but I wouldn’t want to go back really. Just my personal experience though. Hope you find a good solution

legb4rsk
03-03-2023, 17:59
Thanks very much for the replies. Sounds like it's not all doom & gloom:) Looking forward to it.I will let you know the results:cheers:

Mr.Ian
05-03-2023, 09:13
I found that i had gradually tweaked my system to deliver a brighter sound. This was especially noticeable on the av side where vocal boost and trebble were set very high. I also have a pro audio parametric equaliser in system so for me realigning the sound wasn't too difficult and overall it is much better with the hearing aids.

Couple of suggestions, try different hearing aid domes. I find open domes let more natural sound through which helps with the bass. Mybe have different domes fir different situations.

Secondly have a music profile added to the hearing aids

Remember to switch bluetooth off on your phone when you have changed profiles as leaving bt on drains the hear ing aid batteries very quickly.

Pigmy Pony
05-03-2023, 09:59
Glad it's working out for you Ian, and some handy tips. There's hope for us all :)