PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Strosek
07-09-2010, 19:57
Just wanted to say hello to everyone!! I've been looking around this site for a few weeks now so I guess I'm overdue...

I'm passionate about audio and most of all DIY audio. My entire system has been built by myself with the exception of the Technics 1200 M5G but even that has been modded to death. I'm also about to embark on a project and build a magnetically suspended tonearm for the Technics that should be the cats you know what when it's done.

If anyone needs and tips or guidance in building a particular component I'd be happy to give advise just ask.

Well I hope this is a satisfactory introduction;)

Thanks and great forum!!

Marco
07-09-2010, 20:00
Nice one, mate - thanks for that! So what's your proper first name - I presume it isn't 'Strosek'?

We like to be on first name terms here :)

So what mods have you done to your Techie?

Marco.

Strosek
07-09-2010, 20:19
Is Strosek not a nice name? Just kidding It's Dan!

As far as the technics goes here's the short list of things I've done:

-Sorbothane feet
-Denon 103r BUT I encased it in cork to mask any resonance's;) NICE!!
-Ultra softMat I think one of your members sells it
-Recapped some of the original board
-Built an external power supply

Where I did my best work was my phonostage's... Both DIY but both ULTRA high end money no object builds using only blackgates, OPA637's, AMPOhm Copper foil caps, Vishay Nude resistors etc.

The sound is so good it's not funny!

I'm also in the process of starting a commercial endeavour selling high end audio components... More on that later;)

Spectral Morn
07-09-2010, 20:26
Hi Dan

welcome to AOS :)

What kind of music do you like ?

Regards D S D L

Strosek
07-09-2010, 20:41
WOW... That's a tough one... I was a DJ in my younger years so I'm all over the place as far as my taste in music goes. If it's recorded well and it sounds good I'm in. 70's & 80's Rock, R&B, Jazz it's all good!
As long as it's not country. Sorry country lovers!

I currently own over 5000 albums so you can imagine the variety;)

Spectral Morn
07-09-2010, 21:12
WOW... That's a tough one... I was a DJ in my younger years so I'm all over the place as far as my taste in music goes. If it's recorded well and it sounds good I'm in. 70's & 80's Rock, R&B, Jazz it's all good!
As long as it's not country. Sorry country lovers!

I currently own over 5000 albums so you can imagine the variety;)

I agree :spew: :vomfest: :sofa:

Regards D S D L

Marco
07-09-2010, 21:40
S'ok, I won't tell anyone about your penchant for line-dancing ;)

Marco.

Alex_UK
07-09-2010, 21:41
Yeah, but there's country and then there's country. I'm one of those annoying people who always finds a positive in anything! (Dolly Parton, anyone? ;))

Welcome Dan - from another ex-DJ and eclectic music collector, though you're ahead of me in the album numbers by a thousand I reckon. I'd like to get into a bit of DIY, but I struggle to find the time for anything these days. Admire anyone who has the patience and dedication, though. As you will no doubt have seen, we have a thriving DIY community here on AoS. Whereabouts in Canada are you? - lovely country, and some great music has come from your compatriots too.

Enjoy the forum.

Strosek
08-09-2010, 01:25
Thank guys! I'm from Southern Ontario... Are you familiar with the area?

I'll be honest with you, I've always been into music but getting into DIY audio has taken me to new levels and has turned a love for music into an insatiable passion to build perfection.

I'd recommend building your equipment so much you have no idea. The difference in sound quality compared to most commercial products is day and night. To start out I'd suggest you buy a proven circuit board and take your time building it. Chances are you'll be amazed! A well implemented gainclone is a great first project and has very few parts.... for about $200.00 TOPS and you'll have an amp that will wow you every time! I could go on forever so I'll stop now unless you have any questions;)

Thanks again for the warm welcome! Oh and no line dancing for me LOL...

Alex_UK
08-09-2010, 08:50
I'm from Southern Ontario... Are you familiar with the area?

Not really - been a tourist to Canada a couple of times - the usual well known touristy places (Toronto, Ottawa, Niagra, Montreal etc.) but I find Canada generally not quite as "in your face" as the US - a cross between US & Europe, I guess, which is pretty much how it evolved with the various influences.

Strosek
08-09-2010, 14:04
These forums really make the world feel like a smaller place.

Welder
08-09-2010, 16:52
What no country ffs :eek:

Strosek
08-09-2010, 16:55
What no country ffs :eek:

What are you saying??

Reid Malenfant
08-09-2010, 17:10
I'll be honest with you, I've always been into music but getting into DIY audio has taken me to new levels and has turned a love for music into an insatiable passion to build perfection.

I'd recommend building your equipment so much you have no idea. The difference in sound quality compared to most commercial products is day and night.
Hi Dan, i'm in 100% agreement with you :) I have been building my own speakers for over 2/3 of my life & i'll be honest & say that i'd rather pull a new set to bits & rebuild them my way :eyebrows:

I also got a few jobs dealing with electronics simply because i learn't about stuff as i wanted to design & build my own equipment.

Welcome to the forum, i hope you enjoy your stay ;)

Welder
08-09-2010, 17:23
Well, I suppose I could be hinting that all country was made equal but some country is more equal than others.

Erm, you gotta make allowances for my language………too much time spent on game forums and playing online :doh:

http://www.ampota.com/2007/04/24/online-games-slang-what-do-they-mean/

ffs = For F***s Sake.
Prolly in the doghouse again :(

Strosek
09-09-2010, 01:49
Hi Dan, i'm in 100% agreement with you :) I have been building my own speakers for over 2/3 of my life & i'll be honest & say that i'd rather pull a new set to bits & rebuild them my way :eyebrows:

I also got a few jobs dealing with electronics simply because i learn't about stuff as i wanted to design & build my own equipment.

Welcome to the forum, i hope you enjoy your stay ;)

I must admit I prefer building Audio related Electronics then speakers.... I can't stand all the saw dust all over my workshop. I'm currently building a speaker system designed by Dick Osler called Basszilla. I've been at it for 3 months now and I'm so sick of it's not funny. I just can't wait to hear them:)

Nice to meet you to!

Marco
09-09-2010, 14:21
Hi Dan,

Do me a favour, mate - please leave your signature showing your first name visible for other memnbers to see, as then they can refer to you by your proper name. This is the reason why we ask members to tell us it in the first place :)

Cheers! :cool:

Marco.