PDA

View Full Version : Has this board come to a near stand-still?

tfarney
01-07-2008, 02:52
Activity is awfully low. Is England on vacation?

Tim

Prince of Darkness
01-07-2008, 06:48
No, not on vacation. I've noticed it as well and also on World-Designs and Audio-Talk forums. Could it be anything to do with Wimbledon?:scratch:

SteveW
01-07-2008, 07:40
Its holiday time.
.. and my guess is that others are taking advantage of the cheaper prices before the school holidays.
Mind you, with the value of the euro, cheap is a relative term. At least we aren't paying in dollars though!! (sorry Tim !!)

Marco
01-07-2008, 08:29
Yes I can relate to holidays. I'm just back from five days in France :)

So I think Steve could be right.

Marco.

Steve Toy
01-07-2008, 08:36
It's a nice day here in the UK too.

Marco, how was France? Are the local facilities :cool: within reasonable walking distance?

Marco
01-07-2008, 08:45
France was shooperb, matey. You'd love the Chateau :smoking:

I see everyone seems to have been behaving themselves ;)

We brought back a ton of wine, some superb beers (various Bière de Garde, etc) and all sorts of munchies. There's enough shit to keep us going until Christmas! :cool: :glug: :barrel:

We'll chat about the specifics later.

:cheers:

Marco.

Neil McCauley
01-07-2008, 08:57
My guess is that it’s simple arithmetic in that the forum simply does not have enough members.

It’s quite possible that given the numbers here, the activity level is comparatively high. PFM may seem far ‘busier’. But then again, look at the number of members. A small percentage of activity from a higher number of members, in PFM’s case might, superficially at least, makes this forum seem a bit sleepy.

Consider the quality (or lack of it) of many of the postings on PFM. Intellectually, just above Neanderthal. While Art of Sound is joyful non-elitist, the quality of postings is of a far greater level. Quality dear colleagues – rather than quantity.

Having said this, shouldn't we all be doing more to spread the word (and wisdom) of Art of Sound?

---//---

Steve Toy
01-07-2008, 09:13
Howard,

Thanks for the kind words. We have to tread carefully where we expand. Fostering good relations with other forums and with the industry in general is, I believe, more effective over the longer term than trying to mailshot (spam) for membership. The forum is barely five months old and already we are a known entity in much of the industry that we embrace as a whole from the large companies right down to cottage level and DIY.

I guess we are about thinking outside the box, using our ears and getting maximum sound/£/$/€ according to our own individual art of sound, given that hi-fi at all levels is always about trading off compromises.

Marco
01-07-2008, 09:26
Hi Howard,

I know you mean well, and I appreciate your comments about AOS, but could you please refrain from making derogatory remarks about other forums? Thank you. We can't host that kind of thing. There are quite a few members from PFM who also post here and recently Rob Holt, one of the moderators from PFM, has joined which we welcome. We would like to see other moderators and admin from PFM posting here so it's important that we set a good example. I'm sure you will appreciate this :)

As for your other point about numbers, you are absolutely correct. I don't worry about times when things are quiet though as it's just part of a community's natural evolution and reflects the day-to-day circumstances of its members. In terms of numbers we have a small membership compared to other longer established forums. We've only been going for five months. I think PFM has been going for something like 5 or 6 years, so one would expect their membership to be, erm, somewhat numerous! I would expect the membership of AOS in 5 or 6 years time to reflect a similar growth rate. However, as you say, our current membership is full of knowledgeable, experienced, and most importantly, friendly people. You're also spot-on about quality being much more important than quantity. This of course applies to many things in life! ;)

Marco.

Neil McCauley
01-07-2008, 10:34
My bit about the PFM LNM has been deleted by me. No problem at all. Regards, HP

PS

Forum membership growth through osmosis seems to be the concensus.

---//---

Marco
01-07-2008, 10:48
Thanks, Howard - much appreciated.

And regarding things being quiet, the excellent weather we're currently enjoying is no doubt partly responsible. We're just about to have a barbecue in the garden and enjoy some of the wine we've brought back from France :)

Much later...

Marco.

Mike
01-07-2008, 11:41
We brought back a ton of wine, some superb beers (various Bière de Garde, etc) and all sorts of munchies. There's enough shit to keep us going until Christmas! :cool: :glug: :barrel:

Where's my Nem's then? :scratch:

Yum Yum! :)

jimb0
01-07-2008, 11:43
Forums have their tipping point. This one seems to balance having a very good signal to noise ratio with the occasional lull ;-)

Steve Toy
01-07-2008, 13:27
The high S/N ratio has been a priority of mine since I had the idea to start this place. As has been said, quality of exchanges is more important than quantity although quantity would be nice too.

tfarney
01-07-2008, 17:42
Ahhhh...there you are. It wasn't a complaint, just an observation. And of course, you're right, small forum, lulls are to be expected, quality not quantity...yep yep yep. But regarding expansion of membership, I could help, but I'm not sure you want a bunch of yanks coming in here with the McIntoshes and Klispchorns and vinyl fixations. God knows you don't want me coming in here with a bunch of headphone heads. All they ever say is Huh? :)

I'll wait out the lulls. You guys seem to know more and yet somehow indulge in less elitism than the average audiophile forum, by a good bit. I'll go with that.

Tim

combwork
01-07-2008, 20:13
Howard,

Thanks for the kind words. We have to tread carefully where we expand. Fostering good relations with other forums and with the industry in general is, I believe, more effective over the longer term than trying to mailshot (spam) for membership. The forum is barely five months old and already we are a known entity in much of the industry that we embrace as a whole from the large companies right down to cottage level and DIY.

I guess we are about thinking outside the box, using our ears and getting maximum sound/£/$/€ according to our own individual art of sound, given that hi-fi at all levels is always about trading off compromises.

Fostering good relations with other forums and with the industry in general is, I believe, more effective over the longer term than trying to mailshot (spam) for membership.

I'm not at all sure about that.The first I heard of Art Of Sound was when I received a PM at AudioKarma; a well established primarily vintage Audio site based in the USA. Had it not been for that, I would not have heard of Art Of Sound. There is a basic problem. No one likes SPAM but no matter how good a site is, how is it going to be noticed unless it makes use of mailshots? Unsolicited mailshots = Spam.

Although I posted quite a lot after I joined, I've backed off lately for the simple reason that I've had to spend more time in my workshop. However, just a week ago I finally took delivery of..................A pair of B & W DM70s:eyebrows: :doh: :scratch: Cosmetically good, the electrostatic units are now both in bits until I've got the parts I need to re-build them:steam::steam::steam: I think the seller was honest; he was just unaware what was needed. However, I'm taking photos so once I've got the new parts (and got the hang of that imbedded photo thing) I'll be happy to bore the pants off anyone who's even vaguelly interrested in the things.

By the way. Where does the phrase "bore the pants off" come from? What is it about boring someone that could make them lose their underware? Is that how you spell underware? Who knows? :confused::smoking::cool::smoking:;)

combwork
01-07-2008, 20:45
.......... But regarding expansion of membership, I could help, but I'm not sure you want a bunch of yanks coming in here with the McIntoshes and Klispchorns and vinyl fixations............

Tim

Ok; I'll chime in again and suggest you are both right and wrong. I think McIntosh, at least initially was US made for US market; was it ever exported to the U.K.? As to Klispchorns (WTF is a Klispchorn; some kind of mechanical Alpen Horn?) again; were they available in the U.K. But just because something was only originally sold in very small volumes if at all over here doesn't mean we've no interest in it.

But vinyl? :ner:Some of the best Vinyl decks were and are made in the U.K. Some of us have re-discovered vinyl, some never left it. Some years ago I heard it claimed (by an Englishman) that assuming both are in perfect condition, an acoustic recording played on an EMG horn sounds more true to life than any electric recording. How minimalist is that?

tfarney
01-07-2008, 23:21
Ok; I'll chime in again and suggest you are both right and wrong. I think McIntosh, at least initially was US made for US market; was it ever exported to the U.K.? As to Klispchorns (WTF is a Klispchorn; some kind of mechanical Alpen Horn?) again; were they available in the U.K. But just because something was only originally sold in very small volumes if at all over here doesn't mean we've no interest in it.

But vinyl? :ner:Some of the best Vinyl decks were and are made in the U.K. Some of us have re-discovered vinyl, some never left it. Some years ago I heard it claimed (by an Englishman) that assuming both are in perfect condition, an acoustic recording played on an EMG horn sounds more true to life than any electric recording. How minimalist is that?

I was just joking. I picked those three items pretty much at random, because they are obsessions for a number of Americans on some boards I've frequented.

Tim

Peter Stockwell
03-07-2008, 02:08
McIntosh is well regarded in France. I'd like to try a Mcintosh integrated at home one day. Had someKlipsch Forte II's once, I really liked them.

Filterlab
03-07-2008, 11:21
By the way. Where does the phrase "bore the pants off" come from? What is it about boring someone that could make them lose their underware? Is that how you spell underware? Who knows?

Underware is actually spelt 'underwear', and heaven only knows where the phrase comes from! It's quite commonly used here in the UK, personally I would like to physically see the point at which someone became so bored their underpants fell off - that would be some serious boredom.

Beechwoods
03-07-2008, 18:12
I like the fact that this board is a little more country lane than super highway - I can keep up with what's being said unlike some places where it feel like you're shouting into a void :)

Filterlab
03-07-2008, 19:29
I like the fact that this board is a little more country lane than super highway - I can keep up with what's being said unlike some places where it feel like you're shouting into a void :)

Good point Beechy, I was a member of a Saab forum a few years back, there were something like 13,000 members with at least 2,000 regular posters. I felt that it was not even worth contributing half the time and to keep up with the posts was a 24hr affair! Great for getting info though and plenty of answers to any question posed, however most of the threads degenerated into arguments so not always helpful.

This place will peak and trough, but that's expected. Troughs are certainly expected in the Summer time. Who really wants to be inside listening to hi-fi (or chatting about it) when the sun is shining are the barbeque is cooking?

:)

tfarney
04-07-2008, 00:01
Good point Beechy, I was a member of a Saab forum a few years back, there were something like 13,000 members with at least 2,000 regular posters. I felt that it was not even worth contributing half the time and to keep up with the posts was a 24hr affair! Great for getting info though and plenty of answers to any question posed, however most of the threads degenerated into arguments so not always helpful.

This place will peak and trough, but that's expected. Troughs are certainly expected in the Summer time. Who really wants to be inside listening to hi-fi (or chatting about it) when the sun is shining are the barbeque is cooking?

I understand that. I'm a member of the Steve Hoffman forums, and the place is so huge there is no way to keep up. You just have to choose the few threads you're going to follow and often, if you're away for a day, you have to use search to find them, there is so much going on. But if you want to know what is the best pressing of an obscure album, that's the place to ask. And get a half dozen answers.

Tim

Togil
04-07-2008, 06:41
Sadly there seems to be no audio forum where you can find out about reliability issues ( the German "HiFi Forum" comes closest ) unlike some photography forums which are excellent in this respect.

greenhomeelectronics
04-07-2008, 07:26
Well I like it here but have been too busy restoring an old boat recently and have not visited nearly as much as I would like. I have missed it actually as the discussion tends to be quite light hearted yet interesting and informative. I have put a link on my web site, I am sure it will pick up soon.
Dave

MartinT
04-07-2008, 15:27
If I may say something constructive without hurting feelings, I sometimes don't really know where to post a message as the categories are not all that clear. For instance, if I want to talk about speakers...?
I moderate the hi-fi conference in CIX and we have categories for most types of source equipment, amps and speakers as well as a general discussion area and a reviews section for music. There's even a loony section for controversial discussions. It does make it easier to both create and find threads on particular topics.

Mike Reed
04-07-2008, 18:02
Yes, I find it a bit confusing at times, but the moderators have degrees in juggling, so it all finds its proper place in the end !

Different, though !!

Marco
04-07-2008, 18:37
Hi guys,

Thanks for your comments. We always like to hear what our members think and act on any useful suggestions. There is even a dedicated area on the forum for this ;)

Martin and Mike, I take your point, but it's really quite simple: any hi-fi topic that doesn't have a specific room dedicated to it goes into 'Blank Canvas' (General hi-fi discussion). Therefore because there isn't a specific room for discussions on loudspeakers it goes into the Blank Canvas.

When we started the forum we decided to create rooms for specific categories of discussion so that information on certain topics could be found easily, i.e. the 'Digital Impression' for CDP topics, etc, 'Analogue Art' for T/Ts, etc, and this has worked quite well. We feel this is a more user-friendly solution than everything bunged under 'Audio' like, say, on PFM.

With hindsight, a separate room perhaps should have been created for loudspeaker discussions but a line has to be drawn somewhere otherwise the forum would be spread too thinly with a separate room for every single possible topic.

However your points have been duly noted. If anyone has any further comments or suggestions they'd like to make on any other matter please do so in our member feedback area, 'Critics Corner' :)

Marco.

sastusbulbas
06-07-2008, 21:53
I thought it was me that was dead, well at least my interest in audio kit and forums, due to a lot of recent/last few months or so forum stuff.....

Music has taken a hit due to been too busy with work and kids, usually leaving home 0800h and earlier to 2100h and later with work and odd days off due to family commitments....Yawn...Ive been sitting here with earphones on my head and no music playing for 20 minutes...thats getting bad aint it..

As for forum activity, most seem to be in a similar boat, with teh die hard all nighters and such keeping up the vigil.

Mike
06-07-2008, 21:56
I can sympathise with you there matey!

'Life' might be a bitch to some..... but to most of us 'it matters'! ;)

Marco
06-07-2008, 22:02
Steve,

Nice to see you back contributing, though, despite your 'challenges'. I always enjoy reading your stuff :)

We still think we're friendlier than most other forums and we have genuine 'celebrities' like Mike here to keep everyone entertained ;)

Have you bought any new styles of pish catchers recently? :lol:

Marco.

sastusbulbas
07-07-2008, 18:43
Quote-Have you bought any new styles of pish catchers recently?

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd115/sastusbulbas/00008884.jpg

sastusbulbas
07-07-2008, 18:45
I also got a piss pot, but it's full of holes :confused:

It's nice n light though, only 184 grams. (I went for the black one)

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd115/sastusbulbas/00009022.jpg

Marco
07-07-2008, 21:23
Ye'll no be missed in that lot anyway! :lol:

Marco.

Neil McCauley
09-07-2008, 15:34
Looking at the postings immediately prior to mine re this specific thread, surely the answer to the opening question is unambiguous?

---//---

Marco
09-07-2008, 15:48
You're absolutely right, Howard!

Now how about another of your now famous thought-provoking threads on the world of hi-fi? :)

Personally I'd like to hear your thoughts on all the disappointing hyped-up 'hi-end' valve amplifiers you've heard over the years (as detailed in your newsletter this month) and how your faith has been restored recently with a certain brand...

Oh, and why you don't stock Croft amplifiers! ;)

You should really get a listen to the new range that Glenn has just introduced. I have it on good authority they are truly excellent. I'm sure they would be a valuable addition to your product portfolio.

Marco.

Neil McCauley
09-07-2008, 17:31
You're absolutely right, Howard!

Now how about another of your now famous thought-provoking threads on the world of hi-fi? :)

Personally I'd like to hear your thoughts on all the disappointing hyped-up 'hi-end' valve amplifiers you've heard over the years (as detailed in your newsletter this month) and how your faith has been restored recently with a certain brand...

Oh, and why you don't stock Croft amplifiers! ;)

You should really get a listen to the new range that Glenn has just introduced. I have it on good authority they are truly excellent. I'm sure they would be a valuable addition to your product portfolio.

Marco.

Okay. I'll see what I can do.

Marco
09-07-2008, 17:41
Nice one. I look forward to it :)

Any views on Croft?

The subject of valves is 'hot' at the moment and I'm sure our members would enjoy reading your views on the subject, which are no doubt based on considerable experience. By all means use it as an opportunity to advertise brands you are selling and/or make comparions between solid-state and valve designs in your product range. I've heard Manley stuff and rate it highly. The Steelhead is stunning!

Marco.

MartinT
09-07-2008, 18:15
I still have a Croft SIP preamp and Series 4S power amp in the garage. Glenn Croft certainly makes some good kit and is a gentleman to speak to as well.

Marco
09-07-2008, 19:37
I'd concur with that. Do you have any pics of the SIP and 4S? I'd like to have a squint as I've never seen those particular models before :)

Marco.

jandl100
12-07-2008, 10:22
A Croft 4SA was my first ever valve amp, oooh must have been 20-25 years ago, cost me £600 used. An excellent sounding device. :)

___

I've been Wamming the past month or so as this forum seemed to have ground to a halt. Astonished and pleased to see so many new threads when I finally signed in this morning. Good stuff.

MartinT
12-07-2008, 10:53
Mine was originally a Croft Series 4 (with EL34 valves) and it blew a reservoir capacitor. I sent it back to Glenn Croft to repair and asked him to upgrade it to a 4S (with 6550 valves). While it was undoubtedly more powerful and meaty sounding, I thought it had lost some of its magic. I tried powering it up recently and it's lost a channel, will need to open it up and re-seat everything. It lurkes in my garage and needs a new home, someone who will cherish it.

I also have a completely restored and modified Leak Stereo 20 and it really does have the magic. That amplifier is one of the best sounding amps I have ever heard, bar none. Doesn't have a lot of power, though.

Marco
12-07-2008, 12:57
I've been Wamming the past month or so as this forum seemed to have ground to a halt. Astonished and pleased to see so many new threads when I finally signed in this morning. Good stuff.

It seems to be what happens when I go on holiday ;)

Good to have you back, Jerry! :)

Marco.

Iain Sinclair
17-07-2008, 20:23
I've just returned from Crete (45 celsius) to the UK (18 celsius). I think I'll go back to Crete!

MartinT
18-07-2008, 05:23
I think I'd rather stay in the UK!

Togil
18-07-2008, 06:39
Martin,

we need a few like you on this forum who've gone from valve to SS :)

Marco
18-07-2008, 07:52
Mine was originally a Croft Series 4 (with EL34 valves) and it blew a reservoir capacitor. I sent it back to Glenn Croft to repair and asked him to upgrade it to a 4S (with 6550 valves). While it was undoubtedly more powerful and meaty sounding, I thought it had lost some of its magic

I'm not surprised, Martin. EL34s have a very different sound to 6550s. I think I'd prefer the EL34s also in that scenario. I've recently had my Charisma-X upgraded by Glenn with quite phenomenal results, but the 6SL7s (ECC35s) stayed just as they are. Plenty else was changed though!

Marco.

MartinT
10-08-2008, 23:03
I think I'd prefer the EL34s also in that scenario

My all-time favourite output valve is the EL84 as used in the Leak Stereo 20. Not very powerful, but beguiling in the extreme in a good circuit.

MartinT
10-08-2008, 23:06
we need a few like you on this forum who've gone from valve to SS

It takes a special kind of SS amplifier to convince me and the Chord does it in spades. I've heard some speak of the Chord's 'hardness'. In my view, it simply passes through what it's given and demands an absolutely top-rank preamp with, preferably, balanced connection. Used like this, the Chord is an astonishingly transparent amplifier with huge reserves of power.

jandl100
11-08-2008, 07:14
My all-time favourite output valve is the EL84 as used in the Leak Stereo 20. Not very powerful, but beguiling in the extreme in a good circuit.

My 'new' Leak Stereo 20 is my first EL84 valve amp and I can understand that point of view. The personal relevance of the 'not very powerful' bit is very dependent on the speakers with which they are paired. With a tricky or inefficient load I think the Leak could be found wanting, but my SD1 speakers don't seem to have any dynamic/loudness limitations when driven by the Leak that I'm yet aware of - and I've played some seriously large scale music through them. :smoking: Looking at the amp and it's complement of wimpy-looking EL84 valves, it really brings a smile to hear it struts its stuff!

The Leak may well be the best sounding amp I've had - the only 'fault' I can so far level at it is a slight dryness and lack of fullness and bloom in the bass end (very much down to personal taste, of course - not to mention matching equipment) - but it's probably wise not to pair it with Martin Logan speakers!

________

...... My Krell KSA 50 power amp is now up for sale on eBay! ;)

Togil
11-08-2008, 10:22
Used like this, the Chord is an astonishingly transparent amplifier with huge reserves of power.

I totally agree but many on this forum will regard this transparency as "unmusical" because it makes some of their favourite recordings sound bad

MartinT
11-08-2008, 10:33
it really brings a smile to hear it struts its stuff!

I have a fully rebuilt (quite some years ago now) Leak Stereo 20 in the garage which I bring out occasionally for a play. That midrange is to die for and, as you say, it struts its stuff with an extraordinarily big sound for such small valves and power supply.

tfarney
12-08-2008, 12:23
I have a fully rebuilt (quite some years ago now) Leak Stereo 20 in the garage which I bring out occasionally for a play. That midrange is to die for and, as you say, it struts its stuff with an extraordinarily big sound for such small valves and power supply.

I had one of these:

http://www.glow-audio.com/i/srajan%20photos/srajan_2.jpg

...in the house for a week recently. "Midrange to die for" describes it well. I think I like EL84s...

Tim

MartinT
12-08-2008, 12:59
Very nice. What is it? I can't make out the logo.

snapper
12-08-2008, 15:58
I think it's a Glow Audio Amp One,Martin.

http://www.glow-audio.com/home.html

Mike
12-08-2008, 16:38
"It's pretty".... said Mrs Shian7.

Well that's that then. If SWMBO says she likes it then it's the best thing in the world. Apparently. :dummy:

tfarney
12-08-2008, 20:12
It is, indeed, a Glow Audio Amp One. It got a killer review on Six Moons for its performance with high efficiency speakers (the EL84s run as Triodes and only deliver 5 watts per channel). I didn't have great high-eff speakers to test it with, but I gave its headphone out a good week-long workout through my Sennheiser HD580s (500 mw per ch, tapped straight off the output transformer). Wonderful sounding little amp, even with the bog-standard Chinese tubes (as long as you bi-pass its built-in USB modem, which is bloody awful). Designed in the US, built in China. All point to point wired. Impossibly good for $488. Nearly enough to get some money out of a cheap bastard such as myself.

Tell the missus it comes in a choice of designer colors. That should get some valves in the house.

By the way, I got in "bloody awful," "bog-standard" and "valves," all in one post. Am I an honorary Englishman (Scot, Welsh...any Irish around here, or are they all down at the pub?) yet? :)

Tim

Peter Stockwell
13-08-2008, 07:11
By the way, I got in "bloody awful," "bog-standard" and "valves," all in one post. Am I an honorary Englishman (Scot, Welsh...any Irish around here, or are they all down at the pub?) yet? :)

Tim

Not bad for a Dwight Yoakam man!

cheers

tfarney
15-08-2008, 03:19
We try...y'all.

Tim