PDA

View Full Version : Do you suffer from misophonia?

Barry
13-02-2023, 23:10
Misophonia is a strong dislike of certain sounds. It is thought to affect one in five of us and can vary from the sound of fingernails scraping on a blackboard (strongly disliked by most people) to the sound of people eating noisily or 'slurping' the last of a drink through a straw. There are other examples, such as the sound of repetitive pen clicking, or of 'whistling' when voicing words that begin with an 'S' in some older people.

What I would like to know is: are there sounds in music that Members here dislike? For me, it is the use of either a vocoder, or a 'talk-box'. I simply cannot stand the nasal sound they create. It seems to be a popular effect used by current African artists.

So what are the musical sound effects you dislike?

(I should add that there are some artists who have a natural vocal sound that I dislike: Tom Waits for example, as it sounds to me like phlegm gurgling in his throat.)

willbewill
14-02-2023, 08:30
The Recorder and Horn instruments.

walpurgis
14-02-2023, 08:37
No noises in particular that bother me. I really don't like loud people though.

Pigmy Pony
14-02-2023, 08:37
Robbie Williams. :steam:

I can't think of any musical instruments that really bug me, but in the wider world I cannot abide whispering.

struth
14-02-2023, 09:19
thud, thud thud from cars?:ner:

Pigmy Pony
14-02-2023, 09:38
thud, thud thud from cars?:ner:

Easy solution - make sure they're dead before putting them in the boot :doh:

Pigmy Pony
14-02-2023, 09:41
Mrs. Pony can't stand people whistling. And I'm not a fan either.

struth
14-02-2023, 09:57
Easy solution - make sure they're dead before putting them in the boot :doh:

good idea

paulf-2007
14-02-2023, 11:53
Bagpipes.

struth
14-02-2023, 12:23
Bagpipes.

baggies done right sound great, but can sound ghastly too... irish pipes are different but maybe easier on ear. kazoo's and jews harps(some call them mouth/jaw harps) can be downright annoying too..

Beobloke
14-02-2023, 12:49
Misophonia is a strong dislike of certain sounds. It is thought to affect one in five of us and can vary from the sound of fingernails scraping on a blackboard (strongly disliked by most people) to the sound of people eating noisily or 'slurping' the last of a drink through a straw. There are other examples, such as the sound of repetitive pen clicking, or of 'whistling' when voicing words that begin with an 'S' in some older people.

What I would like to know is: are there sounds in music that Members here dislike? For me, it is the use of either a vocoder, or a 'talk-box'. I simply cannot stand the nasal sound they create. It seems to be a popular effect used by current African artists.

So what are the musical sound effects you dislike?

(I should add that there are some artists who have a natural vocal sound that I dislike: Tom Waits for example, as it sounds to me like phlegm gurgling in his throat.)

I'm with you on the vocoder, plus anyone 'beat-boxing' using their vocals.

I also find clapping in songs very annoying. As a result, Pharell Williams' song "Happy" makes me anything but...

Mikeandvan
14-02-2023, 13:20
Cracking knuckles, people using their mobile phones on speaker. In the cafe I go in almost daily, there are quite a few middle eastern men there, and you almost guarantee that at some point the silly buggers will get their phones out and watch a video, on speaker of course, it drives me ***ing nuts. Also hate those crazy loud motorbikes, why does such a small form of transport make such a big sound? I'm extremely intolerant to many noises, and may explain my trouble in finding the right speakers!

struth
14-02-2023, 13:27
Cracking knuckles, people using their mobile phones on speaker. In the cafe I go in almost daily, there are quite a few middle eastern men there, and you almost guarantee that at some point the silly buggers will get their phones out and watch a video, on speaker of course, it drives me ***ing nuts. Also hate those crazy loud motorbikes, why does such a small form of transport make such a big sound? I'm extremely intolerant to many noises, and may explain my trouble in finding the right speakers!

yes roaring engines, just for sake of it usually get my goat too..

Barry
14-02-2023, 13:28
Yes, cracking knuckles makes me shudder as well

Another annoying sound for me is the scraping of steel-rimmed wheels on say the London Underground.

Barry
14-02-2023, 16:01
Bagpipes.

That's interesting Paul, I'm not a big fan of the Highland pipes (sorry Grant) and a little goes a long way, but I do like the sound of Uilleann pipes. They have sweeter, less raucous sound.

hifi_dave
14-02-2023, 17:40
I hate Bagpipes.

The only time I have enjoyed hearing Bagpipes was at Prince Philip's funeral when the piper played as he slowly walked away up the passage and disappeared. Very moving but I doubt I would have enjoyed the sound without the visuals.

struth
14-02-2023, 17:45
I hate Bagpipes.

The only time I have enjoyed hearing Bagpipes was at Prince Philip's funeral when the piper played as he slowly walked away up the passage and disappeared. Very moving but I doubt I would have enjoyed the sound without the visuals.

my godfathers funeral had a hidden piper playing a lament in the hills surrounding the graveyard down in galashiels. it was a superb finale tbh. it wasnt loud, but just carrying across the hills and dales. quality and at time i fancied that myself, but burials are becoming hard to afford alas.

Barry
14-02-2023, 22:20
I had a piper play at my father's funeral. It was what he might have wanted, and was what someone was willing to do. On these occasions, it is what is appropriate, rather than what you would like.

Macca
15-02-2023, 07:02
I'm with you on the vocoder, plus anyone 'beat-boxing' using their vocals.

I also find clapping in songs very annoying. As a result, Pharell Williams' song "Happy" makes me anything but...

Yes that's one of the worst songs ever.

Bourney
15-02-2023, 07:25
The sound of someone dragging their feet
I want to slap em. ��

Enossification
15-02-2023, 09:18
Autotune

The Black Adder
16-02-2023, 03:31
Up speaking... People who seem to think every statement should be a question.

F**kin' hate it.

For some mad reason it makes them feel more confident because it's obliging you to nod or agree, but in truth it has the direct opposite effect.

Its right up there with my other hates like someone eating a stick of celery, whistling, Elton John, The Brits, autotune and Elton John... Oh and that plinky plonky music you find in those high quality tv shows about people who can't tidy up or cook a bloody omelette.

Bagpipes... Done well, great.

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk

struth
16-02-2023, 09:15

F**kin' hate it.

For some mad reason it makes them feel more confident because it's obliging you to nod or agree, but in truth it has the direct opposite effect.

Its right up there with my other hates like someone eating a stick of celery, whistling, Elton John, The Brits, autotune and Elton John... Oh and that plinky plonky music you find in those high quality tv shows about people who can't tidy up or cook a bloody omelette.

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk

i agree, don't you?:ner:

The Black Adder
16-02-2023, 10:01
Yes, I do?
I just wish I knew how to tell someone to refrain from doing it?

Arrrgh? Noooooo?

struth
16-02-2023, 10:08
https://youtu.be/sFacWGBJ_cs play this:D

Barry
16-02-2023, 15:12
Don't knock it - it kept Ultravox off the No.1 spot with 'Vienna' and their pretentious video. :D

Regarded by some pundits as the biggest travesty in pop history. Haha - get over it.

Barry
16-02-2023, 15:18

F**kin' hate it.

Crunching celery - I hadn't thought of that. I guess it falls into the category of noisy eating. And talking of eating, some people don't like the sound of cutlery on stoneware plates, yet are perfectly happy with china plates.

Pigmy Pony
16-02-2023, 15:48
Not really an annoying sound, just annoying: People who say "It is what it is" :( Of course it is! Everything is what it is! What else is it going to be?

AJSki2fly
16-02-2023, 16:08
Not really an annoying sound, just annoying: People who say "It is what it is" :( Of course it is! Everything is what it is! What else is it going to be?

How about "You know how it is?", :doh: no I probably don't.

or

my sister-in-law's favourite is to end a sentence with "well its all do, dah do, da, da" :doh: :doh: :doh: or some such nonsense

or

"You know, you can get a wotsit at thing-a-me's, in so and so." :eek:

Barry
16-02-2023, 16:12
Well, "we are where we are" with that one. ;)

Why do people say "at the present time", whereas the single word "now", or "currently" will do? Current speech habits, usually copied from America, are equally annoying.

Why do people start a sentence with "So", and overuse the phrase "it was like ...", "I was like ...." and "He/she was like..." et.?

And as to being non-gender specific, why would you refer to someone as "they"? That is a third-person plural. The correct, if blunt and impolite, impersonal pronoun should be "it".

struth
16-02-2023, 16:57
think i will stop saying anything;) so, im ofski:)

mik_rik
16-02-2023, 17:09
Women football commentators

walpurgis
16-02-2023, 17:42
Well, "we are where we are" with that one. ;)

Why do people say "at the present time", whereas the single word "now", or "currently" will do? Current speech habits, usually copied from America, are equally annoying.

Why do people start a sentence with "So", and overuse the phrase "it was like ...", "I was like ...." and "He/she was like..." et.?

And as to being non-gender specific, why would you refer to someone as "they"? That is a third-person plural. The correct, if blunt and impolite, impersonal pronoun should be "it".

I'm with you there Barry.

The irritant that gets me most at the moment is "going forward" being tacked onto the beginning or end of a line! :guns:

Why? It adds nothing!!

Lawrence001
17-02-2023, 09:53
Don't knock it - it kept Ultravox off the No.1 spot with 'Vienna' and their pretentious video. :D

Regarded by some pundits as the biggest travesty in pop history. Haha - get over it.I was 7 at the time and never got over it

Lawrence001
17-02-2023, 09:55
Not really an annoying sound, just annoying: People who say "It is what it is" :( Of course it is! Everything is what it is! What else is it going to be?And walking past a shop with a poster saying "when it's gone, it's gone.".

AJSki2fly
17-02-2023, 10:06
And walking past a shop with a poster saying "when it's gone, it's gone.".

"FINAL, Closing Down Sale"

Firebottle
17-02-2023, 10:45

Was on a bus in Edinburgh some years ago and the woman of a couple behind us was using the word 'like' almost every other word :steam:
I nearly got up to give her a slap, it was driving me nuts.

struth
17-02-2023, 10:48
Was on a bus in Edinburgh some years ago and the woman of a couple behind us was using the word 'like' almost every other word :steam:

its quite common around here like... as is calling a woman 'hen'

walpurgis
17-02-2023, 11:43

It's an American thing, unfortunately imported here now. Just another crap addition to the English language, as 'spoken' by the plebs, innit :).

Pigmy Pony
17-02-2023, 13:29
A very chavvy one this. "I swear down", when you hear that, you know they're lying.

Pigmy Pony
17-02-2023, 13:42
This one bugs me even more than whispering: A tendency for the "yoofs" to speak like they are simpletons or four year olds. They probably think it makes them come across as "gangster" or something, but replacing 'th' sounds with 'f' or 'v' and never pronouncing the letter 't' unless the word starts with it, just makes them sound like a right tit.

Barry
17-02-2023, 17:37
This one bugs me even more than whispering: A tendency for the "yoofs" to speak like they are simpletons or four year olds. They probably think it makes them come across as "gangster" or something, but replacing 'th' sounds with 'f' or 'v' and never pronouncing the letter 't' unless the word starts with it, just makes them sound like a right tit.

I've not come across that - but then I don't spend much time with "yoofs".

Languages, wherever they are spoken, evolve with time. However, when it changes to the point where it cannot be understood, it somewhat defeats the whole purpose of communication. Certainly a lot of the 'newspeak' prevalent has come from America, and usually, it is black Americans who have deliberately altered or inverted the meaning of some words for their own purpose.

Maybe I should "get down with the kids". :rolleyes:

Pigmy Pony
17-02-2023, 18:04
Maybe I should "get down with the kids". :rolleyes:

No, you don't want to get down there Barry, it smells of yesterday's KFC and sweaty socks.

The "yoofspeak" I refer to was largely black youths and young Asian males, but I have noticed white kids increasingly taking it up.

struth
17-02-2023, 19:17
Don't have many of those up here bar in big city's etc, so not noticed it either.
Always been an unpopular destination for most foreigners. We get Pakistanis and Chinese but not in large numbers.
Think it was traditionally too cold, and possibly cold in welcome too. But times change. My new neighbours are Asian and a lovely couple.

Patrick Nash
18-02-2023, 13:03
And walking past a shop with a poster saying "when it's gone, it's gone.".

Reminds me of this classic faux pas:

https://content.api.news/v3/images/bin/08c30d6338e6a99023f66aeeebd5a397

struth
18-02-2023, 13:40
a little to vague for me alas....

Patrick Nash
18-02-2023, 14:33
It's a book about the tragic case of Maddie McCann.

struth
18-02-2023, 14:51

ah... didnt recognise her... i get it now..ta

Pigmy Pony
18-02-2023, 15:06

The real shocker is the thought that someone may be profiting from that poor kid's disappearance. Unless the book's proceeds were going to a children's charity, that might be ok.

struth
18-02-2023, 15:23
The real shocker is the thought that someone may be profiting from that poor kid's disappearance. Unless the book's proceeds were going to a children's charity, that might be ok.

nowt unusual about that i guess. folk have been doing it already with that poor lass lost on wyre. with their internet hits etc.. disgrace.

Barry
18-02-2023, 18:17
I agree with both of the above posts. Books like those just pander to the morbidly curious. I doubt if proceeds from their sales are ever given to charity.

Pigmy Pony
19-02-2023, 00:16
nowt unusual about that i guess. folk have been doing it already with that poor lass lost on wyre. with their internet hits etc.. disgrace.

Yes it's been widely reported on the news, and Anita reckons speculation on Facebook has been rife, with all kinds of theories. I don't know what's been said and I don't want to know.

Macca
19-02-2023, 07:51
Yes it's been widely reported on the news, and Anita reckons speculation on Facebook has been rife, with all kinds of theories. I don't know what's been said and I don't want to know.

I think it was alien abduction. They didn't take the dog as they don't have facilities for dogs on the flying saucer and they left her phone because it's not compatible with their network.

Pigmy Pony
19-02-2023, 09:34
I think it was alien abduction. They didn't take the dog as they don't have facilities for dogs on the flying saucer and they left her phone because it's not compatible with their network.

Bloody Facebook, that's them all over. "It wasn't me, it was the aliens" :( It's time the govt did something about tidying up all the cyber-nonsense.

Macca
19-02-2023, 09:39
Bloody Facebook, that's them all over. "It wasn't me, it was the aliens" :( It's time the govt did something about tidying up all the cyber-nonsense.

Just a variation on the old schoolboy excuse 'It wasn't me sir, some aliens did it and then ran off.'

bob4333
20-02-2023, 08:02
Vocoders, as has already been mentioned, Yodelling (not the delivery company although they seem as bad).

........ and those who can't be bothered to differentiate between "Them" and "Those".

Pigmy Pony
20-02-2023, 17:12
Vocoders, as has already been mentioned, Yodelling (not the delivery company although they seem as bad).

........ and those who can't be bothered to differentiate between "Them" and "Those".

I can't be doing with them people either.

Macca
20-02-2023, 18:13
where I'm from it's 'Youse people.'

Pete The Cat
10-03-2023, 08:53
Anything that's shrill in the upper frequency gets to me.

Pleased to see my dislike of vocoder is shared. You'd have thought that after Neil Young did Trans they'd have been consigned to history but vocal effects such as the wretched auto-tune continue to ruin modern releases. People trying to sound like robots is just silly playground stuff.

Pete

Pigmy Pony
10-03-2023, 12:34
Anything that's shrill in the upper frequency gets to me.

Pleased to see my dislike of vocoder is shared. You'd have thought that after Neil Young did Trans they'd have been consigned to history but vocal effects such as the wretched auto-tune continue to ruin modern releases. People trying to sound like robots is just silly playground stuff.

Pete

Science has spent millions trying to make me sound human. This does not compute!

https://th.bing.com/th/id/OIP.WzcNuIHjyN6wR3N1onZdsQHaEJ?pid=ImgDet&rs=1

paulf-2007
10-03-2023, 21:35
my godfathers funeral had a hidden piper playing a lament in the hills surrounding the graveyard down in galashiels. it was a superb finale tbh. it wasnt loud, but just carrying across the hills and dales. quality and at time i fancied that myself, but burials are becoming hard to afford alas.
Yes far away so not loud I could probably endure.

kirstysdad
11-03-2023, 21:03
Crunching celery - I hadn't thought of that. I guess it falls into the category of noisy eating. And talking of eating, some people don't like the sound of cutlery on stoneware plates, yet are perfectly happy with china plates.

This is the closest to true misophonia. The rest are mostly just annoying things that most folk find irritating.
Misophonia is much more troubling to the sufferer- chewing food, slurping, coughing, throat clearing, knuckle cracking, belching, tummy gurgling, etc., mostly "normal" body noises that drive many to have to leave a room... There's a neurological component to it- it's a trait of many neurodiverse conditions like Aspergers/ASD/ADHD but not on its own, along with other sensory issues (textures for example).

Barry
11-03-2023, 21:20
There are a great range of noises that trigger misophonia:

• Sounds made at the table – fork on a plate, fork scraping teeth, spoon on a bowl, clinking of glasses.

• Sounds of people drinking – sipping, slurping, saying “ah” after a drink, swallowing, breathing after a drink.

• Other mouth sounds – sucking teeth, lip popping, kissing, flossing, brushing teeth.

• Associated sounds – opening chip bags, water bottle crinkling, setting a cup down.

• Breathing sounds – sniffling, snorting, nasally breathing, regular breathing, snoring, nose whistle, yawning, coughing, throat clearing, hiccups.

• Vocal triggers – consonant sounds (S and P especially), vowel sounds (less common), lip pop, dry mouth voice, gravelly voice, whispering, specific words, muffled talking, several people talking at once, TV through walls, singing, humming, whistling, “uh”.

• Home sounds – bass through walls, door slamming, refrigerator running, hair dryers, electric shavers, nail clipping, foot shuffling, flip-flops, heavy footsteps, walking of people upstairs, joint cracking, scratching, ticking clocks, pipes knocking, baby crying, toilet flushing.

• Work/school sounds – typing, mouse clicks, page flipping, pencil on paper, copier sound, pen clicking, pen tapping, tapping on a desk.

• Other – farm equipment, pumps, lawnmowers, bouncing balls, back-up beepers, traffic noise, beep of car locking, car door slamming.

• Animal sounds – dogs/cat grooming, dogs barking, rooster crowing, birds singing, crickets, frogs, animal scratching, the dog whimpering.

https://knops.co/magazine/sounds-trigger-misophonia/

walpurgis
11-03-2023, 21:28
None of the foregoing are distressing to me. They are just part of everyday life to a greater or lesser degree.

Barry
11-03-2023, 21:34
Me neither - perhaps I should have said "There are a great range of noises that can trigger misophonia".

Though I do dislike noisy eaters: those that chomp and slurp away, without closing their mouth.

struth
12-03-2023, 08:01
i dunno, but i might be a right annoying bastard:ner: