PDA

View Full Version : Mark Grant G1500HD worth the extra £££££

Tarzan
07-09-2010, 15:52
Just a quick question chaps, l have a G1000HD on loan from Mark and l really like the sound, then got to thinking for the extra £20 or so is the G1500HD better, does it retain all the G1000HD attributes of warm and musicality, thanks for any input- now back to the music:).

DSJR
07-09-2010, 15:58
Some say the different phono plugs make a noticable difference. I just like the Neutrik pro plugs because the screen is connected first and the plugs are built like out-houses. As for WBT's, I've seen too many PCB mounted socket assemblies destroyed by these plugs in the past - they MUST be used with respect and care IMO.

Tarzan
07-09-2010, 16:12
Have you had the chance to compare the different cables Dave?

DSJR
07-09-2010, 20:28
I've compared the Canare with Neutrik. If there is a real difference, it's negligible to me, but my ears bung up very easily these days, so cannot be trusted.. I have used WBT's in the past, and they're very solidly made plugs, but those external clamps can be lethal in my experience - there really is no reason to clamp the things onto a socket - IMO

colinB
07-09-2010, 20:46
I wonder if WBT made those locks to match the tight connection you get with the Eichmann bullet. I have them on my wire , and shoot me down in flames here, but since fitting them i notice sibilance for the first time in my system.
I may regret writing that.

Tarzan
07-09-2010, 20:50
Anybody else care to comment?:)

Clive
07-09-2010, 20:57
I wonder if WBT made those locks to match the tight connection you get with the Eichmann bullet. I have them on my wire , and shoot me down in flames here, but since fitting them i notice sibilance for the first time in my system.
I may regret writing that.
I'm sure that's why WBT did this, at least with the recent ones with a thin rod which replicates the Eichmann. I've read more than once that you need the silver version to banish "metallic" sounds. I wonder if this is what you're referring to.

colinB
07-09-2010, 21:44
Interesting. I cant afford the silvers but may replace them with Eichmann later.
Spoke to the Scottish guy who makes the Atlas cables once and he didnt rate the WBTs.

Clive
07-09-2010, 22:02
I must add that my comment above simply comes from browsing forums, I have not listened the plugs other than to some Eichmanns on a tone arm I possess. Listening to phono plugs....note to myself - finally going mad!

colinB
07-09-2010, 22:16
If you think listening to plugs is mad how about Stein room resonators recently posted in the trade section. Sounds like a case for Mulder and Sculley.

Alex_UK
07-09-2010, 22:47
If you think listening to plugs is mad how about Stein room resonators recently posted in the trade section. Sounds like a case for Mulder and Sculley.

I had to resist really really hard commenting on that thread. My "Magic Stones" were fit for bursting. (Sorry Mark, and Mark...)

colinB
07-09-2010, 22:57
I can laugh, i sell Hopi ear candles in my shop. Got no choice, people ask for them. Im so ashamed i keep them under the counter. Maybe i should wholesale them to Sevenoaks across the road. Tell them it improves your frequency range or something.

Alex_UK
07-09-2010, 23:00
Tell them it improves your frequency range or something.

You mean they don't? Bugger.

Ian Walker
17-09-2010, 20:34
Steve Toy paid me a visit on Monday to let me hear his copper amp.
He also brought with him two pairs of Mark Grant G2000HD about which he said "these will bring a smile to your face":).
Anyway after around two hours into our sesh and Steve fidgeting more and more i gave up and swapped my leads out for his. To say there was an improvement is a BLOODY BIG understatement,these new cables were staggeringly good in my system..the sounstage just became huge scale and flew out of the Tannoys at us..Steve sayin bloodyell there's a real drumkit in here now!. Guitars too now had that explosive KERRANG to em,as though the guitarist was gona run across the room and twat us over the head with it:lol:.Bass also massively improved was now just miles tighter but deeper and more controlled as well,the whole sound of the system now is just so realistic,the Tannoys at last sounding like the BIG speakers they really are, delivering for the first time the huge soundscape they are capable of.
I cant praise these cables enough they have made a fantastic improvement here and as i said to Steve if i'd gone out and bought a new pre amp and got this difference i'd be well chuffed..nice one Mark.

Ian.

No Regrets
05-12-2010, 01:24
Steve Toy paid me a visit on Monday to let me hear his copper amp.
He also brought with him two pairs of Mark Grant G2000HD about which he said "these will bring a smile to your face":).
Anyway after around two hours into our sesh and Steve fidgeting more and more i gave up and swapped my leads out for his. To say there was an improvement is a BLOODY BIG understatement,these new cables were staggeringly good in my system..the sounstage just became huge scale and flew out of the Tannoys at us..Steve sayin bloodyell there's a real drumkit in here now!. Guitars too now had that explosive KERRANG to em,as though the guitarist was gona run across the room and twat us over the head with it:lol:.Bass also massively improved was now just miles tighter but deeper and more controlled as well,the whole sound of the system now is just so realistic,the Tannoys at last sounding like the BIG speakers they really are, delivering for the first time the huge soundscape they are capable of.
I cant praise these cables enough they have made a fantastic improvement here and as i said to Steve if i'd gone out and bought a new pre amp and got this difference i'd be well chuffed..nice one Mark.

Ian.

Hello Ian,

I am in the market for some new cables and am giving strong consideration to Mark Grants cables. I am trying to put into context the various comments that I have been reading about them. Would you be willing to share with us which cables were replaced in this listening session by the Mark Grants?

Thank you kindly.
Don

jon1
05-12-2010, 10:54
I have to sets of the bi-amp G1500HD on my L+R front speakers..and they do make a difference;)Well balanced just waiting for one more set fore the centre speaker...the cables are terminated with the WBT 150..and the neutrik profi..BTW all my setup runs MG cables..8pairs of g1000hd..4..DSP 2.5..and canare lv61s.see how they sound when i get my CDQ still waiting from oct:(

jon

Ian Walker
05-12-2010, 14:01
Hello Ian,

I am in the market for some new cables and am giving strong consideration to Mark Grants cables. I am trying to put into context the various comments that I have been reading about them. Would you be willing to share with us which cables were replaced in this listening session by the Mark Grants?

Thank you kindly.
Don

Hi Don,

The cable they replaced were Marks G1000HD..it was quite a surprise how just using different connectors on the same cable could make such a big difference.They are a lot more expensive though but i think well worth it.
Regards,
Ian.

Clive
05-12-2010, 14:05
Hi Don,

The cable they replaced were Marks G1000HD..it was quite a surprise how just using different connectors on the same cable could make such a big difference.They are a lot more expensive though but i think well worth it.
Regards,
Ian.
I agree Ian. I have my phono stage to preamp and preamp to power amp cables from Mark, they are the G2000HD. The difference is in the connectors, these make a significant difference. The better the connection, the better the sound.

Marco
05-12-2010, 15:12
Thirded - the improvement isn't subtle, either! Here's why:

http://www.wbt.de/index.php?id=77&backPID=77&tt_products=144

Mark Grant G2000HDs use the above WBT 0102cu plugs.... Don, buy G2000HDs with confidence - it's a no-brainer! :)

WBT 0110cu plugs are (best for digital applications only): http://www.wbt.de/index.php?id=77&backPID=77&tt_products=64

Marco.

P.S As an aside, I've gone back to using 0102cu plugs (from 0110cu) on my analogue connections with the G2000HDs, and use 0110cu now only on my digital coaxial cable, connecting the CD transport and DAC - and the sonic improvement of doing so was very significant indeed (sound is much more detailed, fluid and expressive)!!

Ammonite Audio
05-12-2010, 18:00

Mark Grant G2000HDs use the above WBT 0102cu plugs.... Don, buy G2000HDs with confidence - it's a no-brainer! :)

WBT 0110cu plugs are (best for digital applications only): http://www.wbt.de/index.php?id=77&backPID=77&tt_products=64

Marco.

P.S As an aside, I've gone back to using 0102cu plugs (from 0110cu) on my analogue connections with the G2000HDs, and use 0110cu now only on my digital coaxial cable, connecting the CD transport and DAC - and the sonic improvement of doing so was very significant indeed (sound is much more detailed, fluid and expressive)!!

I had not noticed that Mark Grant now uses the 0102Cu plugs - my set of G2000HDs have the 0110Cu plugs fitted.

Marco
05-12-2010, 18:27
Hi Hugo,

He does both, mate - just specify what plugs you want fitted when ordering any cables.

But, make no mistake, 0102cus sound WAY better in analogue applications! :eek:

Marco.

jon1
05-12-2010, 19:42
Hi Hugo,

He does both, mate - just specify what plugs you want fitted when ordering any cables.

But, make no mistake, 0102cus sound WAY better in analogue applications! :eek:

Marco.

Marco.. their will be next on my shopping list to mark:eyebrows:

jon

Marco
05-12-2010, 20:02
Smart move, dude! :)

Marco.

jon1
05-12-2010, 20:13
Smart move, dude! :)

Marco.

This is going to get exspensive:eek::trust:

anthonyTD
05-12-2010, 20:20
hi all,
to be honest all mark grant phono cables offer outstanding performance for the money, they often outperform and therfore embarrass cables many times their cost. as for choosing the right one's, its just a case of knowing what to listen for when comparing the diffrent types in your own system, i have found the diffrence in plugs to be quite pronounced, but as to which one is better, i couldnt call that one as my listening prefrences and system setup is unique to me etc, however' i am confident that you will be pleased with the results and it will just be a matter of fine tuning and indepth listening to finalise your choice.
Anthony,TD...

No Regrets
07-12-2010, 06:18

Marco.

Thank you all for your comments regarding the Mark Grant cables. Mark and I have been emailing back and forth and I have ordered a two meter set of din to two WBT 0102 RCAs to connect from my Naim CDS2 output to my preamp input. I'm looking forward to receiving them.

Best regards,
Don

colinB
07-12-2010, 10:33

Marco.

I just checked my Ringmat tonearm cable and the WBT plugs are Cu 110s.
Thats it , ive descended into cable anxiety hell again:rolleyes:

Mark Grant
07-12-2010, 10:55
Dont worry about it Colin :)

some people prefer the 0110 Cu some the 0102 Cu, I stick with the 0102 Cu now unless anyone has a preference as is more robust and feels like a higher quality product.

If you are haapy with your tone arm cable then I would not worrry about it.

colinB
07-12-2010, 10:58
Thanks Mark. Looks like the kids are going to get there christmas presents after all. :lol:

jbloggs
07-12-2010, 11:32
I bought a set of the G2000HD's on 23rd September (2010)...just out of interest, how would I find out if they are using 0110 Cu or 0102 Cu, is this info marked on the cables anywhere?

Thanks...

colinB
07-12-2010, 11:39
The number will be on the locking sleeve of the plug.

Mark Grant
07-12-2010, 11:40
The 0110 Cu looks like this and feels ' plasticky'
http://www.wbt.de/index.php?id=77&backPID=77&tt_products=64

0102 Cu looks like this ( black) and is metal.

Looking back at my records I think you have the 0102 Cu :)
best look though if you have any doubt.

jbloggs
07-12-2010, 11:52
Thanks to you both...found it written on sleeve..."WBT-0102 Cu."

Marco
07-12-2010, 15:30
Hi Mark,

The 0110 Cu looks like this and feels ' plasticky'
http://www.wbt.de/index.php?id=77&backPID=77&tt_products=64

0102 Cu looks like this ( black) and is metal.

Looking back at my records I think you have the 0102 Cu
best look though if you have any doubt.

It's the 0102s that are slightly more expensive, though, am I right? :)

Marco.

Mark Grant
07-12-2010, 16:01
Thats right, about £10 more for a set of four WBT 0102 Cu :)

Mark.

The Grand Wazoo
07-12-2010, 20:41
So how long will it be before we see a tone-arm cable, Mark?

Mark Grant
07-12-2010, 22:16
:):)

Already done , only 1 so far as a special request.

customer comments where:

The tonearm cable is a cracker. I am using it with a condo wired SME V on a technics sp-10. I have used the Standard Sme cable, audioorigami's one and a pure silver and yours is the keeper. A lot more detail is coming through and the bass is killer.

A challenge to make two of the G1000HD cables fit an SME right angle connector. :eek:

A soon as I find a trade price on tonearm connectors I will add them to my website.

I need to find earth terminals and a supply of suitable thin wire for the earth, any links appreciated.;)

Clive
08-12-2010, 16:39
I have finally got around to fitting a pair of WBT 0102cu to my tonearm cable, it's an unbroken cable from cartridge to phono stage. Mark very kindly sold me an extra couple of 0102s when he was converting my 2 sets of G1000HD to G2000HD.

The improvement with the 0102 on the tonearm cable is just as it was in for the rest of the i/cs. A sound that's "more in control", there's finer detail with everything more in its place within the soundstage.

Not only do these plugs make really strong ground connections with the phono sockets, the signal isn't having to pass through vast amounts of phono plug (less metal is good). Also for connecting wires thinner than hair these plugs are a breeze to work on, it's easy to ensure the fine wire makes a good connection before soldering. Strain relief took some thinking about for these fine wires but I sorted that quite easily.

Very, very pleased overall.

Welder
10-12-2010, 11:16
I’ve had a bit of a rearrangement which has meant I may need more flexible interconnects.
Given the reasonable price of the Mark Grant cables (compared to a great many others anyway) and the good reputation they have on AoS I wondered if someone could tell me the minimum bend radius of the G1000HD and the LV61S?

Ali Tait
10-12-2010, 13:49
Just tried mine,I can bend it double and the radius at the bend is about 20 mil if I force it.

DSJR
10-12-2010, 19:13
I'm sure the HD cable sounds fine as a tonearm interconnect, I do feel it isn't really flexible enough if sharp bends are called for - and forget it with any suspended sub chassis decks. I keep repeating myself, but the van damme pro-patch mic cable is ideal and I suspect this one would work as well and be easier to fit into a Cardas style plug -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Van-damme-Blue-Series-Studio-2-pair-Multicore-per-metre-/350370220500?pt=UK_Consumer_Professional_RL&hash=item5193b149d4

It's a great wire and even the light gauge of conductors is no problem for me. Flexible too ;)

Welder
10-12-2010, 19:17
Thanks Ali and Dave :)
The interconnects I have left are all solid wire built and dont take kindly to sharp bends.