PDA

View Full Version : Dark Side of the Moon 50th anniversary

Jimbo
19-01-2023, 18:31
Well I remember buying this iconic album in 1976 just after purchasing Wish You Were Here. I still do prefer WYWH but DSOTM is a fabulous album and I think the lyrics are superb and probably Mr Waters high point as a composer and lyricist. I have over the last 40 years or so wheeled out DSOTM and indeed bought many versions of it after trashing my original. It is still a great listen and still probably one of the best produced albums of the 70s.

The last copy of DSOTM I bought on vinyl was extremely poor quality but I wait with baited breath for a new AAA re issue of decent quality. Will it happen? Well something else might be coming along - a live 1974 vinyl copy of an early DSOTM concert?

https://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/indepth/features/23262764.pink-floyd-dark-side-moon-50th-anniversary/

Pigmy Pony
19-01-2023, 18:59
There have been so many reissues of DSOTM over the years, and my current one (bought about seven years ago) isn't that great to my ears. But the other day I 'asked Alexa' to play Money by Pink Floyd. It must have thrown up some kind of remix - it was clearly Floyd, but was noticeably different tonally. Actually it sounded amazing. I thought Alexa had described it as being a 2001 remix, but could be wrong. Tried the next day to get Alexa to play it again, but it wouldn't. Starting to wonder if it was a dream...

Barry
19-01-2023, 19:25
The DSOTM re-master is noticeably different, and IMO better than the original 1971 version. The 'voices off' are clearer, as are the chiming clocks on 'Time'. So too are the airport PA announcements. The copy I have is on CD, so I'm not sure if there is a re-mastered version on vinyl.

I'm sure EMI will 'milk' the 50th anniversary for all its worth.

walpurgis
19-01-2023, 19:58
I remember it being played to death at the Hi-Fi shows when it came out. Probably why I hardly ever play it now.

Barry
19-01-2023, 20:05
I remember it being played to death at the Hi-Fi shows when it came out. Probably why I hardly ever play it now.

Agreed - that is why I didn't buy a copy until years later. Until then I just regarded it as a glorified test record.

Pigmy Pony
19-01-2023, 23:06
The DSOTM re-master is noticeably different, and IMO better than the original 1971 version. The 'voices off' are clearer, as are the chiming clocks on 'Time'. So too are the airport PA announcements. The copy I have is on CD, so I'm not sure if there is a re-mastered version on vinyl.

I'm sure EMI will 'milk' the 50th anniversary for all its worth.

That may well be the version I was hearing then. I'll try to seek it out on Spotify tomorrow, or maybe try to find a used CD of it.

I agree with yours and Geoff's comments, I played DSOTM to death when it came out, as did most of my friends. So I don't really bother with it any more. Only reason I was playing "Money" the other day was that I was dialling in a subwoofer, and I wanted something I was really familiar with.

Jimbo
20-01-2023, 06:26
There have been so many reissues of DSOTM over the years, and my current one (bought about seven years ago) isn't that great to my ears. But the other day I 'asked Alexa' to play Money by Pink Floyd. It must have thrown up some kind of remix - it was clearly Floyd, but was noticeably different tonally. Actually it sounded amazing. I thought Alexa had described it as being a 2001 remix, but could be wrong. Tried the next day to get Alexa to play it again, but it wouldn't. Starting to wonder if it was a dream...

I have tried to buy a decent copy of DSOTM on vinyl but all of the re mixes I have heard were not great. I have a feeling the only real option is to purchase an original first, second or third UK pressing but they are eye waveringly expensive!

Swann36
20-01-2023, 07:01
My copy of DSOTM bought for me as a birthday present when it came out in ‘73 plays pretty good a few crackles in places but nothing that upsets listening and I’m yet to hear a cd or streamed (free Spotify etc) that keeps up with the vinyl but apart from perhaps it’s first couple of years with me it’s not been overly played so I guess I’m just lucky at this point

Sadly I can’t say the same about my WYWH as I lent it to an old school friend and it never came back Dave Wagstaff where are you now ?

Jimbo
20-01-2023, 08:01
My copy of DSOTM bought for me as a birthday present when it came out in ‘73 plays pretty good a few crackles in places but nothing that upsets listening and I’m yet to hear a cd or streamed (free Spotify etc) that keeps up with the vinyl but apart from perhaps it’s first couple of years with me it’s not been overly played so I guess I’m just lucky at this point

Sadly I can’t say the same about my WYWH as I lent it to an old school friend and it never came back Dave Wagstaff where are you now ?

A 1973 copy would be great as it would be all analogue on vinyl with no messing sorry remastering! You lucky man!

Pigmy Pony
20-01-2023, 08:38

Did he not send you a post card? :D

Pigmy Pony
20-01-2023, 08:47
I'm afraid WYWH has gone the same way as DSOTM for me, ie seldom played. Though this I think has more to do with my hearing. These Floyd recordings had such a lot of fine details in them, which were an intrinsic part of the music. My age-related hearing loss has meant that many of these 'effects' are now lost to me, making the experience rather less satisfying than it was in my youth, despite my system being much more resolving.

Jimbo
20-01-2023, 10:11
I'm afraid WYWH has gone the same way as DSOTM for me, ie seldom played. Though this I think has more to do with my hearing. These Floyd recordings had such a lot of fine details in them, which were an intrinsic part of the music. My age-related hearing loss has meant that many of these 'effects' are now lost to me, making the experience rather less satisfying than it was in my youth, despite my system being much more resolving.

Unfortunately Steve it is a sad fact that our ageing hearing has a lot to answer for!

Pigmy Pony
20-01-2023, 17:05
Unfortunately Steve it is a sad fact that our ageing hearing has a lot to answer for!

I hear that! :) Helps a bit to play things louder (and I often do), but I fear that will just accelerate the process.

AJSki2fly
20-01-2023, 17:53
DSOTM is probably my favourite album of that era, I was 15 when I first purchased it and it has been regularly played throughout my life. I have owned various copies on vinyl, currently an early Re-Press, 5th(1977) and the more recent 2016 re-release on 180g. I used to own an early CD copy, I did own the MFLS UDCD 517 Original Master Recording CD, Album, Reissue, Remastered, 24kt Gold Plated Disc (sold it for cash to upgrade hifi) and I own the SACD, Hybrid, Multichannel, Album, RE, RM, EMI 7243 582136 2 1.

IMO on vinyl the 5th re-press I currently own sounds the best for vinyl replay, although a pristine 1st pressing might be better, but with NM/NM copies commanding over £300 that is not going to happen for me. The 2016 re-release is OK but sounds odd in places, they must have played around with the balance of the mix I think.

On compact disc format, the early CD was OK but not great, even on a Meridian CDP. The MFSL 24kt Gold disc did sound very good and up to as good as the original vinyl if played in a good CD player. The SACD version which was a 40th anniversary re-release was an off the cuff purchase at the time, originally I played it in a CDP and also in a DVD player through a 5.1 surround system, in either I thought it sounded pretty good. However very recently I was lucky enough to get a Marantz SA-KI Pearl SACD player and only a few weeks ago I remembered my SACD DSOTM version I had and put it on. I am very impressed with it played on a SACDP in stereo, it sounds just like the original but with better clarity and definition, the Time track for example is stunning with clear timbral and resonance of the clocks chiming, and it is much easy to distinguish between them and place them in the soundstage, all the other tracks a similarly better.

By the way I have also listened to several FLAC versions streaming and the SACD still has it for me.

So for me at the moment the 40th Anniversary SACD played through a good SACD player is top dog. I will be interested to see what a 50th anniversary version will offer.

Macca
20-01-2023, 19:12
It was the first album I heard on CD. Christmas 1987 on the neighbour's son's new Akai system.

Have got the original CD release. DSOTM aficionados don't rate that one but it sounds fine. Also got it on vinyl but I don't know what the provenance of that is. It's old, bought second-hand, but it's not a first pressing.

Only PF album I play often is 'Animals' though.

AJSki2fly
21-01-2023, 10:11
It was the first album I heard on CD. Christmas 1987 on the neighbour's son's new Akai system.

Have got the original CD release. DSOTM aficionados don't rate that one but it sounds fine. Also got it on vinyl but I don't know what the provenance of that is. It's old, bought second-hand, but it's not a first pressing.

Only PF album I play often is 'Animals' though.

I think Animals was one of there worst produced albums, a somewhat muddy mix IMO, shame because I like it as well, I have the 2018 re-master on Vinyl released in 2022 which is a big improvement IMHO, the soundstage is better and you can hear more details from the mix and it is better spaced.

Might be worth checking out the https://www.discogs.com/release/24532040-Pink-Floyd-Animals-2018-Remix the CD version.

struth
21-01-2023, 10:22
remember i did a dsotm test on my various versions and the old vinyl(not a first but a seventh i think) was best,

Jimbo
21-01-2023, 10:27
I have watched a few comparison evaluations recently and the earlier pressings are considered the best.

struth
21-01-2023, 10:34
I have watched a few comparison evaluations recently and the earlier pressings are considered the best.

i must have sold my vinyl copies in my big sale as they are not listed, or there is an error in my listing. still have the sacd and the cd versions tho. i said 7th but it might have been 5th.. memory isnt great these days

rmcin626
21-01-2023, 10:41
i must have sold my vinyl copies in my big sale as they are not listed, or there is an error in my listing. still have the sacd and the cd versions tho. i said 7th but it might have been 5th.. memory isnt great these days

I think it was one of the albums I bought from you Grant

struth
21-01-2023, 10:44
I think it was one of the albums I bought from you Grant

maybe robin. it was a nice copy anyway.

rmcin626
21-01-2023, 10:50
maybe robin. it was a nice copy anyway.

its a good copy Grant, although not a record I play too often, I’ll have look next time I go up to the music room (the loft)

struth
21-01-2023, 10:54
its a good copy Grant, although not a record I play too often, I’ll have look next time I go up to the music room (the loft)

have a listen robin.. its one of those you rarely put on or think about until its on and then you say, i must play this more... but never do lol

Macca
21-01-2023, 11:27
I think Animals was one of there worst produced albums, a somewhat muddy mix IMO, shame because I like it as well, I have the 2018 re-master on Vinyl released in 2022 which is a big improvement IMHO, the soundstage is better and you can hear more details from the mix and it is better spaced.

Might be worth checking out the https://www.discogs.com/release/24532040-Pink-Floyd-Animals-2018-Remix the CD version.

I take the view that the original is definitive regardless of production values, for me the production values (or lack of them) are intrinsic to the art. So I don't actually want a 'cleaned up' version - it just wouldn't sound like 'Animals' is supposed to sound - to me.

If that makes sense. I'm not sure it makes sense to me either - but that's where I'm at.

rmcin626
21-01-2023, 12:19
have a listen robin.. its one of those you rarely put on or think about until its on and then you say, i must play this more... but never do lol

This is the one https://www.discogs.com/release/9287809-Pink-Floyd-The-Dark-Side-Of-The-Moon, will have a listen later

struth
21-01-2023, 12:22
This is the one https://www.discogs.com/release/9287809-Pink-Floyd-The-Dark-Side-Of-The-Moon, will have a listen later

ah thats the reissue... still its 180g and sounds good

rmcin626
21-01-2023, 12:36

Remastered By – Bernie Grundman, James Guthrie, Joel Plante , always helps

AJSki2fly
21-01-2023, 16:38
I take the view that the original is definitive regardless of production values, for me the production values (or lack of them) are intrinsic to the art. So I don't actually want a 'cleaned up' version - it just wouldn't sound like 'Animals' is supposed to sound - to me.

If that makes sense. I'm not sure it makes sense to me either - but that's where I'm at.

Yes Martin, you do have a point in that how it was originally produced was how the band hopefully wanted it to sound at the time, so maybe that is how we should appreciate it. However I believe that PF released the 2018 re-master with the intention of it sounding as they would have like it to originally, or perhaps if you are cynical it was just to get some more money for the record company and the band. :eek:

struth
21-01-2023, 16:44
i suppose it would depend originally if the band had much say in how THEY wanted it to sound opposed to some guy doing the editing etc.

AJSki2fly
21-01-2023, 16:45

Hi Grant, as you may have seen I have just listened to DSOTM on the 2016 re-master on vinyl and also on the 40th Anniversary SACD to try and get a clear and recent view. Both are very listenable, the 2016 vinyl sounds better than I remember it, but maybe that is due to my recent system changes. They actually sound very similar IMO, but I would say the SACD 40th release has the edge, it has slightly more air and detail in the mix, the difference is quite subtle. I suppose you could argue this was down to the limitations of my systems vinyl replay capabilities, I do not think this is the case though as I have some other albums that exhibit the same sense of air and detail as the DSOTM SACD. Anyway I can happily listen to either versions.

struth
21-01-2023, 16:50
Hi Grant, as you may have seen I have just listened to DSOTM on the 2016 re-master on vinyl and also on the 40th Anniversary SACD to try and get a clear and recent view. Both are very listenable, the 2016 vinyl sounds better than I remember it, but maybe that is due to my recent system changes. They actually sound very similar IMO, but I would say the SACD 40th release has the edge, it has slightly more air and detail in the mix, the difference is quite subtle. I suppose you could argue this was down to the limitations of my systems vinyl replay capabilities, I do not think this is the case though as I have some other albums that exhibit the same sense of air and detail as the DSOTM SACD. Anyway I can happily listen to either versions.

think i tested 4.. original vinyl, the reissue on 180, the sacd and the cd. might have been 2 cds. the original vinyl was my preference, but the rest were all pretty good. the old vinyl just ticked more boxes and gave me a few extra shivers lol

AJSki2fly
21-01-2023, 17:00
think i tested 4.. original vinyl, the reissue on 180, the sacd and the cd. might have been 2 cds. the original vinyl was my preference, but the rest were all pretty good. the old vinyl just ticked more boxes and gave me a few extra shivers lol

I'll have a test listen of the original Vinyl I have over the next few days and see if my view changes.:scratch:

Jimbo
21-01-2023, 17:29
That would be useful. Do you know which pressing you original DSOTM vinyl is? If you have a code I can check it up on Discogs.

AJSki2fly
21-01-2023, 17:34
That would be useful. Do you know which pressing you original DSOTM vinyl is? If you have a code I can check it up on Discogs.

it is this one https://www.discogs.com/release/2666307-Pink-Floyd-The-Dark-Side-Of-The-Moon I can check the exact Matrix runout if you want.

Macca
21-01-2023, 17:51
Yes Martin, you do have a point in that how it was originally produced was how the band hopefully wanted it to sound at the time, so maybe that is how we should appreciate it. However I believe that PF released the 2018 re-master with the intention of it sounding as they would have like it to originally, or perhaps if you are cynical it was just to get some more money for the record company and the band. :eek:

I actually don't care how the band wanted it to sound. However it turned out and for whatever reasons - that is it.

For example I have the Steve Wilson remix of 'Aqualung' - it sounds good and I know Ian Anderson was never happy with the original, but it's not the real 'Aqualung' to me.

Jimbo
21-01-2023, 17:53
it is this one https://www.discogs.com/release/2666307-Pink-Floyd-The-Dark-Side-Of-The-Moon I can check the exact Matrix runout if you want.

Think that is a 5th pressing. Should be very good.

Barry
21-01-2023, 19:11
I actually don't care how the band wanted it to sound. However it turned out and for whatever reasons - that is it.

For example I have the Steve Wilson remix of 'Aqualung' - it sounds good and I know Ian Anderson was never happy with the original, but it's not the real 'Aqualung' to me.

In an interview with Dave Gilmour, he said that personally he would have loved to have shared the experience of someone who had just bought the LP, and was listening to it for the first time.

It thus a moot point about how PF wanted DSOTM to sound; they had been involved with the recording for so long it's probable that they themselves didn't really know exactly how it should sound.

sessylU
21-01-2023, 20:35
This was the first album I owned on vinyl. I got it for my 16th birthday, so seeing the 50th anniversary makes me feel old.

BUT, that 16th birthday was in 2003, and the version I got was the 30th anniversary, which I understand will have made a different generation of music lovers feel old then.

Barry
21-01-2023, 20:40
Well I was around when DSOTM was first released. I was also around to watch the first episode of Doctor Who on TV. So yes, it makes me feel very old.

Swann36
21-01-2023, 21:30
Sadly not perhaps he’ll see this post and do the right thing

AJSki2fly
22-01-2023, 11:20

Well I am on my 3rd play of DSOTM in 24 hours and this is the last, for a while, it is the earliest version I possess, Vinyl, LP, Repress, Stereo, 5th, Gatefold, Harvest – SHVL 804, Harvest – 1E 064 o 05249.

There is something rather nice about this original version, it is very hard to say why I prefer it to the 2016 Vinyl re-master or the SACD 40th Anniversary edition, but I will have a go.

Ignoring that my copy has slight surface noise in places, (I think a good clean in my ultrasonic record cleaner will help), what is most noticeable is a feeling of great dynamics and depth and possibly a slightly warmer presentation. Don't get me wrong the differences between the 3 versions mentioned are quite subtle, but this earliest I version I have just seems to be more balanced. I do not think it is physiological, I am quite critical when deliberately listening and focusing on a piece of music, or just perhaps it is the 70's version(s) that I have heard many, many times since its original release has embedded itself in my brain so I fell more at home with how it sounds. An interesting thought, could that be why I like the oldest version the most?

So in summary I could listen to any version I own and enjoy DSOTM, it is a rather special album musically, but I think the 5th pressing copy I own has the edge just.

Macca
22-01-2023, 11:44
or just perhaps it is the 70's version(s) that I have heard many, many times since its original release has embedded itself in my brain so I fell more at home with how it sounds. An interesting thought, could that be why I like the oldest version the most?

I think that's very likely.

As a student I listened to lot of Zeppelin and Hendrix on vinyl. I played all those albums to death. They still don't sound 'right' to me on CD even 30 odd years on and probably never will.

AJSki2fly
22-01-2023, 11:50
I think that's very likely.

As a student I listened to lot of Zeppelin and Hendrix on vinyl. I played all those albums to death. They still don't sound 'right' to me on CD even 30 odd years on and probably never will.

Yes Martin, it suddenly occurred to me that this could be the reason, like you I was and still am an avid Led Zeppelin and Hendrix fan, and similarly am not that keen on later re-masters or remixes of them, I particularly dislike some of the Led Zeppelin early CDs, and really do not like the Re-Master double album. There are a few other groups I listened to intensely from my teenage years to about 30 and I think that same hold trues for this as well, interesting. Perhaps our musical appreciation, even down to how we like a system to sound to our ears and brain is pre-conditioned by our early listening years.

Macca
22-01-2023, 12:03
. Perhaps our musical appreciation, even down to how we like a system to sound to our ears and brain is pre-conditioned by our early listening years.

I don't think there's any doubt about it. Our tastes and preferences are entirely constructed by external influences that we had no control over whatsoever. But we like to think that these are 'choices' that we make rationally and consciously.

struth
22-01-2023, 12:09
I don't think there's any doubt about it. Our tastes and preferences are entirely constructed by external influences that we had no control over whatsoever. But we like to think that these are 'choices' that we make rationally and consciously.

im sure to an extent your probably right, yet my love of blues from an early age came from no-one i know. i just seemed to seek it out

Jimbo
22-01-2023, 12:26
By all accounts the earlier UK DSOTM pressings are considered to sound the best. The all analogue versions and original masters are probably the closest to what we all remember when we first heard the album. Everything after is probably a retrograde step?

Pigmy Pony
22-01-2023, 13:43
Perhaps I should be seeking out an early pressing of DSOTM, but for it it sound truly as it was then, I'm gonna need this, the record player I had at the time:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/C7kAAOSwTI5jj0qp/s-l1600.jpg

AJSki2fly
22-01-2023, 13:50
Perhaps I should be seeking out an early pressing of DSOTM, but for it it sound truly as it was then, I'm gonna need this, the record player I had at the time:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/C7kAAOSwTI5jj0qp/s-l1600.jpg

Might even sound better than you usually listen to [emoji23]

Barry
22-01-2023, 14:20
And you need to find a mono copy to play on your Fidelity record player. :)

Wakefield Turntables
22-01-2023, 17:21
£245 for this new re-issue - :wowzer: - Err, yeah, £245 will be staying in my accounts!

Jimbo
22-01-2023, 17:44
£245 for this new re-issue - :wowzer: - Err, yeah, £245 will be staying in my accounts!

Best bit maybe the live Wembley concert 1974 on 180g vinyl. I think its about £20 on Amazon.

Wakefield Turntables
22-01-2023, 17:56
I'm not sure which version I have, I'll have to dig it out and check.

mikeyb
22-01-2023, 18:32
Best bit maybe the live Wembley concert 1974 on 180g vinyl. I think its about £20 on Amazon.It was already available on another boxset in case you already have it.

Taken from another Forum...

"Apparently the Live album has already been released on the Experience Edition DSOTM 2 CD"

Some more info here too, go to page 3 post #54 to see more info on the live album

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/dark-side-of-the-moon-50th-anniversary.276147/

Wakefield Turntables
22-01-2023, 18:35
Err yeah my copy is some recent tosh! I'll grab my coat......

Barry
22-01-2023, 19:30
Some more info here too, go to page 3 post #54 to see more info on the live album

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/dark-side-of-the-moon-50th-anniversary.276147/

Even more 'nerdy' opinions than displayed here.

I always said EMI would 'milk' their asset for all it's worth.

£250 too much for some music? Well you can easily pay more than double that for a a bottle of 2020 Chateau Margeaux; and once you have drunk it there is no more. whereas you can still play your expensive discs. :D

Jimbo
22-01-2023, 20:02
Yeah, this album surely would generate huge amount of nerdy internet babble. Having bought a fairly recent copy of DSOTM on vinyl which is so bad I can't play it I am very cautious throwing any more money at re issues on vinyl of this album. However my recent Bernie Grundman mastered 2016 WYWH is very good indeed. So you can never be sure.

The holy grail would be an all AAA release from tape of DSOTM. I would pay decent cash for this but don't think it will ever be released?

Jimbo
23-01-2023, 08:04
There must be thousands of Pink Floyd videos on Youtube but I found this one recently. It is short and it was made during their recording of DSOTM at Abbey Road studies. Gives a little insight into their thought process, how they were as a band and hints as to what would happen to them.

Nevertheless it shows Dave Gilmour putting down some guitar tracks on Brain Damage and at the time probably none of them realised they were putting together a Masterpiece and one of the best selling albums of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-1eZZMeSB8

AJSki2fly
23-01-2023, 09:07
Even more 'nerdy' opinions than displayed here.

I always said EMI would 'milk' their asset for all it's worth.

£250 too much for some music? Well you can easily pay more than double that for a a bottle of 2020 Chateau Margeaux; and once you have drunk it there is no more. whereas you can still play your expensive discs. :D

The cheapest price I've found for the 50th boxed set is £220, even at that it is a step too far for me, and Sue would seriously box my ears if I did that. I have succumbed to the DSOTM LIVE AT WEMBLEY 1974 180gram LP to be released in 24 March, it is also in the boxed set. I found it for £16.99 for pre-order if anyones interested at https://www.whatrecords.co.uk/search-results.htm?search=THE+DARK+SIDE+OF+THE+MOON+LIVE+ AT+WEMBLEY+1974++180gram+LP&searchSubmit=Search

I suspect that PF/record company will release the 50th anniversary DSTOM as a separate album after they have sold enough of the boxed sets they anticipate to sell, and max sales that way.

Macca
23-01-2023, 09:14
Yeah, this album surely would generate huge amount of nerdy internet babble. Having bought a fairly recent copy of DSOTM on vinyl which is so bad I can't play it I am very cautious throwing any more money at re issues on vinyl of this album. However my recent Bernie Grundman mastered 2016 WYWH is very good indeed. So you can never be sure.

The holy grail would be an all AAA release from tape of DSOTM. I would pay decent cash for this but don't think it will ever be released?

Don't really understand the desire for an AAA. The analogue tapes degrade with time, even the good quality ones. The ideal would be a pressing using a digital copy that was taken back when the tapes were in better condition. The digital copy will be an exact copy so nothing will be lost, unlike with an AAA done now.

After all everyone was happy to pay a premium for Mo-Fi releases thinking they were AAA and nobody complained until they found out they were taken from a digital copy. They couldn't hear it (okay, Mike Fremer now claims he could but...well, yeah).

AJSki2fly
23-01-2023, 10:27
Don't really understand the desire for an AAA. The analogue tapes degrade with time, even the good quality ones. The ideal would be a pressing using a digital copy that was taken back when the tapes were in better condition. The digital copy will be an exact copy so nothing will be lost, unlike with an AAA done now.

After all everyone was happy to pay a premium for Mo-Fi releases thinking they were AAA and nobody complained until they found out they were taken from a digital copy. They couldn't hear it (okay, Mike Fremer now claims he could but...well, yeah).

If I recall correctly PF - Momentary Laps of Reason used some digital processing in the recording, and I think a they had a lot of the original master tapes(probably 2 track copies) transferred in the late 80's, so probably to 48khz or 96khz, if done well then these would be very hard to differentiate from the original analogue. Any re-mastering/tampering from those would have been later. on. I wonder actually how many so called remasters are actually taken from an original 24 track master tape, I bet loads are from the 2 track masters and processed into a digital format and then jigged about.:eek:

walpurgis
23-01-2023, 10:30
The ideal would be a pressing using a digital copy that was taken back when the tapes were in better condition.

That's exactly right in my opinion.

Macca
23-01-2023, 10:31
If I recall correctly PF - Momentary Laps of Reason used some digital processing in the recording, and I think a they had a lot of the original master tapes(probably 2 track copies) transferred in the late 80's, so probably to 48khz or 96khz, if done well then these would be very hard to differentiate from the original analogue. Any re-mastering/tampering from those would have been later. on. I wonder actually how many so called remasters are actually taken from an original 24 track master tape, I bet loads are from the 2 track masters and processed into a digital format and then jigged about.:eek:

well you've got the studio master, the production master, first generation, second generation and so on. There's rarely just one master tape.

And each time you make an analogue copy you raise the noise floor. So who knows what generation master they use? They never say and no-one seems to ask.

AJSki2fly
23-01-2023, 10:53
well you've got the studio master, the production master, first generation, second generation and so on. There's rarely just one master tape.

And each time you make an analogue copy you raise the noise floor. So who knows what generation master they use? They never say and no-one seems to ask.

Yes, completely agree, I suspect that whatever they use to produce a re-master as long as it sounds OK and not poles apart from the original or they can market it as an improvement in some way that is all they care about.

mikeyb
23-01-2023, 11:20
https://youtu.be/ar7T_wwt6-o

AJSki2fly
23-01-2023, 11:26
https://youtu.be/ar7T_wwt6-o

Still doesn't convince me to get my wallet out!

Jimbo
23-01-2023, 13:01

Not always black and white case. I have heard excellent digital copies taken from analogue tape and total shi%. All depends on who is doing the mastering and production and how well they do it.
Obviously original tape can be fantastic or crap too, depending on condition. But taking a digital copy is not always a sure route to creating a great copy because during the mastering so much damage can be done to the original recording.

If you understand all the problems that can occur in digital audio because of introduction of noise then remember this can also happen in the studio.

My last copy of DSOTM was produced from a digital remaster and it is sounds terrible.

Macca
23-01-2023, 13:05
My last copy of DSOTM was produced from a digital remaster and it is sounds terrible.

You don't know that the reason it sounds terrible is because it is from a digital master. There could be a lot of other reasons, most likely that you don't share the same artistic vision for the material as whoever re-mastered it.

The idea that studio engineers don't know what they are doing does not marry up with my own experience. Especially when you consider this is DSOTM not some obscure recording by an unknown band. They are not likely to let the teaboy do the digital copy.

Jimbo
23-01-2023, 13:19
You don't know that the reason it sounds terrible is because it is from a digital master. There could be a lot of other reasons, most likely that you don't share the same artistic vision for the material as whoever re-mastered it.

The idea that studio engineers don't know what they are doing does not marry up with my own experience. Especially when you consider this is DSOTM not some obscure recording by an unknown band. They are not likely to let the teaboy do the digital copy.

Problem with remastering albums is that the mastering engineer may decide to add EQ to their taste it immediately departs from the original. I just want a very good copy of the original, there I have answered my own question. Buy a brand new sealed first generation copy of DSOTM - that would be £4200 currently on Discogs.:lol:

Macca
23-01-2023, 13:46
On some pressings, a faintly audible orchestral version of the Beatles' "Ticket to Ride" can be heard after "Eclipse" over the album's closing heartbeats.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Side_of_the_Moon

not sure that is on my CD version. Will have to turn it up a bit next time I play it and see.

Anyone ever heard this?

Barry
24-01-2023, 20:59
Pink Floyd – 'Dark Side Of The Moon'

https://i.discogs.com/yAWKmsChNUi_RXYLPbpdB0TpqnKsiXvO0mftPAJzLWQ/rs:fit/g:sm/q:90/h:600/w:587/czM6Ly9kaXNjb2dz/LWRhdGFiYXNlLWlt/YWdlcy9SLTExODI5/NDctMTQ4MjkwODE5/OC03NDU0LmpwZWc.jpeg

Label: EMI United Kingdom – 7243 8 29752 2 9
Format: CD, Album, Reissue, Remastered, Repress, Stereo
Released: 1994
Genre: Rock
Style: Psychedelic Rock, Prog Rock, Classic Rock

No 'Ticket to Ride' heard after the end of 'Eclipse'. In fact it's a pretty anodyne version, lacking any real emotion upon listening.

Barry
24-01-2023, 22:27
Pink Floyd – 'The Dark Side Of The Moon' (Twentieth Anniversary Edition)

https://i.discogs.com/5af4j3LsGySrvx6vvsT2hNygh8AeECJ5YM5vOW8TrA0/rs:fit/g:sm/q:40/h:300/w:300/czM6Ly9kaXNjb2dz/LWRhdGFiYXNlLWlt/YWdlcy9SLTQ4NzYz/NTktMTU1MDM0ODI1/My0xNTAwLmpwZWc.jpeg

Label: EMI – 0777 7 81479 2 3
Format: CD, Album, Limited Edition, Reissue, Remastered, Box Set
Released: 1993
Style: Psychedelic Rock, Prog Rock

IMO an absolutely superb version. Everything is clearer and better separated, the background voices are much more intelligible, and the dynamics improved. But more important, the sheer emotional impact of the whole performance is significantly greater.

(But still no 'Ticket to Ride' on the fade-out.)

AJSki2fly
25-01-2023, 14:39
Pink Floyd – 'Dark Side Of The Moon'

Label: EMI United Kingdom – 7243 8 29752 2 9
Format: CD, Album, Reissue, Remastered, Repress, Stereo
Released: 1994
Style: Psychedelic Rock, Prog Rock, Classic Rock

No 'Ticket to Ride' heard after the end of 'Eclipse'. In fact it's a pretty anodyne version, lacking any real emotion upon listening.

Just had a quick listen to the end of "Eclipse" on DSTOM SACD 4th Anniversary and there is no 'Ticket to Ride' to be heard.

Lawrence001
25-01-2023, 19:28
I'll try it on my record next time I'm up north.

Patrick Dixon
25-01-2023, 20:32
Buy a brand new sealed first generation copy of DSOTM - that would be £4200 currently on Discogs.:lol:

I'm pretty sure albums weren't sealed in 1973 either, so it may be first gen, but it wasn't sealed by the manufacturer.

Macca
25-01-2023, 21:02
I'm pretty sure albums weren't sealed in 1973 either, so it may be first gen, but it wasn't sealed by the manufacturer.

Not in UK but maybe in some foreign markets? Japan?

Pigmy Pony
25-01-2023, 21:19
Is the method of sealing albums shrink wrap? Because that only came into use in the early 80s, according to a quick search. As Macca says, it could have been different in other countries.