PDA

View Full Version : Time to upgrade my DAC - Topping, Lexjie, etc?

alexk0il
14-01-2023, 10:27
Currently using a fully upgraded Beresford BM mkI DAC to drive the audio from PC, CD, TV and IFI Zen Blue 2 LDAC into an old school G-class Hitachi amp from 70s. I upgraded caps and resistors on the amp, paired it with decent Klipsch speakers and pretty happy with how my setup sounds. I guess I owe the sound quality to the amp and speakers though, though the DAC isn't bad on its own.

Unfortunately the lack of the remote control in the system is becoming more annoying than it used to be, so I am thinking of upgrading the DAC to something more advanced.

The are plenty reviews on https://www.audiosciencereview.com and I'm considering Topping DX3 pro+, but maybe someone wants to talk me out or recommend another dac that sounds similar or better than my Beresford through RCA outputs. Headphone amp is't important, my headphones are connected to the amp anyway.

CageyH
14-01-2023, 10:39
Buy it from somewhere like Amazon, and if you don’t like it, send it back.

I went from a fully upgraded SEG to an RME ADI2 DAC FS, which I bought 2nd hand, and I don’t regret it.

Macca
14-01-2023, 11:01
Currently using a fully upgraded Beresford BM mkI DAC to drive the audio from PC, CD, TV and IFI Zen Blue 2 LDAC into an old school G-class Hitachi amp from 70s. I upgraded caps and resistors on the amp, paired it with decent Klipsch speakers and pretty happy with how my setup sounds. I guess I owe the sound quality to the amp and speakers though, though the DAC isn't bad on its own.

Unfortunately the lack of the remote control in the system is becoming more annoying than it used to be, so I am thinking of upgrading the DAC to something more advanced.

The are plenty reviews on https://www.audiosciencereview.com and I'm considering Topping DX3 pro+, but maybe someone wants to talk me out or recommend another dac that sounds similar or better than my Beresford through RCA outputs. Headphone amp is't important, my headphones are connected to the amp anyway.

Topping is a solid buy, wouldn't expect it to be different from the Beresford even though it does measure a lot better but you will then have a remote. No need to spend more on a DAC unless it's for the looks and the features. The Topping does D to A conversion as perfectly as it is possible to do.

MisterMoseley
14-01-2023, 11:57

From what you’ve said, it’s looking like a remote is a non-negotiable requirement?

alexk0il
14-01-2023, 15:15
From what you’ve said, it’s looking like a remote is a non-negotiable requirement?
Yes, that's the only reason to upgrade for me.

Topping is a solid buy, wouldn't expect it to be different from the Beresford even though it does measure a lot better but you will then have a remote. No need to spend more on a DAC unless it's for the looks and the features. The Topping does D to A conversion as perfectly as it is possible to do.

Buy it from somewhere like Amazon, and if you don’t like it, send it back.

Any reliability issues with Topping? There are a few Amazon reports that it stops working after the Amazon return window is closed. There are also positive reviews on Amazon, but I tend not to trust those as they can be easily faked by the vendor.

CageyH
14-01-2023, 15:47
I have a Topping Pre90 in my system. I bought it second hand last year. No issues to report so far.

Macca
14-01-2023, 15:49
Yes, that's the only reason to upgrade for me.

Any reliability issues with Topping? There are a few Amazon reports that it stops working after the Amazon return window is closed. There are also positive reviews on Amazon, but I tend not to trust those as they can be easily faked by the vendor.

Had mine almost three years I think, not had any issues.

Now I've said that it will probably go bad but even if it does, it wasn't an expensive item to begin with.

alexk0il
16-01-2023, 00:22
Update:
I checked quite a few dac testing videos on youtube. I know, I know, it's very far from listening to the real thing, yet I managed to come to conclusion that the signature sound of budget ESS based DACs is not for me.

I did like the sound of SMSL M400 with its AK4499 DAC, but it's way over my budget. D300 with ROHM might be also a good option, still not convinced the sound quality is on par with it's £400 price, plus I saw reports of periodic "topping-like" drops of the audio. Not sure.

So, I just ordered SMSL Sanskrit 10th mk3. If anything it should have a cleaner and more resolving sound than the 10 years old Bushmaster. Hope it will be neutral enough to provide a good input to my amp that is doing it's own magic with the sound.

Let's see how it works out.

https://hifigo.com/blogs/news/four-updates-with-the-latest-s-m-s-l-sanskrit-10th-mk3-desktop-dac-over-the-sanskrit-10th-mk2

Jerry B
16-01-2023, 06:41
When looking for a Dac, from experience I wouldn't buy any of the recommendations from ASR.

My last two Dacs from the UK have been used.
Have done very well with them.

CageyH
16-01-2023, 06:50
It has the AKM chip, so I think you should be happy.
I don’t know how reliable SMSL are though, but as most HiFi is. Ow made in Chine, I think you should be ok.

Firebottle
16-01-2023, 06:53
Looks like an excellent budget Dac, should knock spots off the Bushmaster.

Let us knowhow you get on.

CageyH
16-01-2023, 06:59

Having gone from an upgraded SEG, to a different AKM DAC, I totally agree.

Jimbo
16-01-2023, 07:15
Update:
I checked quite a few dac testing videos on youtube. I know, I know, it's very far from listening to the real thing, yet I managed to come to conclusion that the signature sound of budget ESS based DACs is not for me.

I did like the sound of SMSL M400 with its AK4499 DAC, but it's way over my budget. D300 with ROHM might be also a good option, still not convinced the sound quality is on par with it's £400 price, plus I saw reports of periodic "topping-like" drops of the audio. Not sure.

So, I just ordered SMSL Sanskrit 10th mk3. If anything it should have a cleaner and more resolving sound than the 10 years old Bushmaster. Hope it will be neutral enough to provide a good input to my amp that is doing it's own magic with the sound.

Let's see how it works out.

https://hifigo.com/blogs/news/four-updates-with-the-latest-s-m-s-l-sanskrit-10th-mk3-desktop-dac-over-the-sanskrit-10th-mk2

On your tour round the net looking at videos did you come across IIWI. He has reviewed many Docs at the price point your are looking for and I would say his description of them is spot on.

This a review of a SMSL DAC he did recently but he has pretty much reviewed most Topping and SMSL Days on the market as well as many others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_sPgEHEHXo

alexk0il
17-01-2023, 23:16
My SMSL Sanskrit 10 mk3 just arrived today.

It sounds pretty good, unfortunately there is an annoying digital noise and clicks in the left channel when there no signal is coming from the source. Once a source starts streaming over the optical or coax, the noise is completely gone. I played a “silent" track - no noise whatsover. If I hit the "pause" button, the clicking starts.

Sending the unit back for replacement.

Lawrence001
18-01-2023, 08:45
Sounds like a dodgy receiver trying to lock. I had a DAC that clicked every time you started to play, and change resolution but that was part of the "design"

hornucopia
18-01-2023, 14:12
Thought of Metrum dacs?
https://darko.audio/2015/07/metrum-acoustics-discontinues-octave-launches-musette/

Lawrence001
18-01-2023, 14:20
Thought of Metrum dacs?
https://darko.audio/2015/07/metrum-acoustics-discontinues-octave-launches-musette/Coincidentally... [emoji23]

alexk0il
18-01-2023, 16:47
Sounds like a dodgy receiver trying to lock. I had a DAC that clicked every time you started to play, and change resolution but that was part of the "design"

Yep, "part of the design" is what I am worried about. There is nothing to lock on when a source is not sending anything, it shouldn't take a genius design engineer to design the product for this use-case and test if the product makes noises or clicks when sources are out or resolution is changed. Somehow this issue is even reported in top DACs from Topping/SMSL, Sabaj, etc.

Interesting, my 10 year old Beresford has no audible noise whatsoever between the tracks even if I pump up the volume of my amp to it's max. The right channel of my Sanskrit does become quite noisy somewhat after 3/4th of the full volume, but I never go that loud, so I can live with that. The left is clicking and popping all the time with normal hearing volumes.

I do hope it's a sample variation in my case. If I get a unit with the left channel matching the right I might keep it.

zanash
20-01-2023, 11:40
It has the AKM chip, so I think you should be happy.
I don’t know how reliable SMSL are though, but as most HiFi is. Ow made in Chine, I think you should be ok.

if you go with the topping ...get there linear power supply it transformed my d30 [stop gap dac whilst mine was being repaired]

alexk0il
24-01-2023, 12:51
On your tour round the net looking at videos did you come across IIWI. He has reviewed many Docs at the price point your are looking for and I would say his description of them is spot on.

This a review of a SMSL DAC he did recently but he has pretty much reviewed most Topping and SMSL Days on the market as well as many others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_sPgEHEHXo

Yes, I initially liked his reviews, but due to the lack of any reference point to the definitions of terms such as lush, rich, transparent, etc. it all become subjective. Took me quite a few days to figure out that that his preferences in sound as well as musical taste are completely different from mine. He seems to enjoy the unnaturally open and sibilant sound that I personally dislike.

However I discovered an interesting youtube channel "Thomas and Stereo", he won my heart by one of his reviews where he described a naturally sounding DAC (or AMP?) as resolving and detailed yet without giving listeners the feeling of the singer's saliva in their ears. He also sometimes talk about the audio preferences of his friend "Mr. Vintage" that appeal to me more than other reviews on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVtSHXafOEcFN10FYygDTA

alexk0il
24-01-2023, 13:57

Let us knowhow you get on.

Done: https://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?76009-SMSL-Sanskrit-10th-mkII-and-Topping-E30-mkII-review