PDA

View Full Version : Am I being impatient?

icehockeyboy
12-01-2023, 15:03
Swapped out my much loved Boston Acoustics MA25’s for the immensely well reviewed B&W 607s2 Anniversary Edition’s, and contrary to what I was expecting, they didn’t trounce the Boston’s.

I did buy them pre owned, but I don’t think they had hardly been used, so possibly not ‘run in’

Currently I have the chance to get the Boston’s back, but I’m wondering whether that’s a knee jerk reaction, and just give them longer?

I must admit the more I listen, the more they appear to be coming’on song’

Or is that just me getting used to them, or even a combination of both things?

Your thoughts please. 😁

Barry
12-01-2023, 15:16
How old are the B&Ws? The run-in time for speakers is generally considered to be 20 to 40 hours and they will continue to improve over the next 100 hours or so.

icehockeyboy
12-01-2023, 15:40
Not sure exactly, but not that old

It’s been a long time since I bought brand new and have totally forgotten the length of time it took

In general, should I be patient and allow them more time to run in?

I must admit I’m listening now and they are pleasing to my ears

Jimbo
12-01-2023, 15:49
The B&W 607s are a difficult speaker to drive so as they have low sensitivity 84db at 1 metre I think. To get the best out of them they need good and powerful amplification to get them to sing.

icehockeyboy
12-01-2023, 16:25
The B&W 607s are a difficult speaker to drive so as they have low sensitivity 84db at 1 metre I think. To get the best out of them they need good and powerful amplification to get them to sing.

I’m powering them with an Audio Analogue Pucinni S.E which is rated at 50 wrms at 8 ohms per channel
There is more than ample power to get the drivers moving

struth
12-01-2023, 16:30
I’m powering them with an Audio Analogue Pucinni S.E which is rated at 50 wrms at 8 ohms per channel

i had one of those amps once...

hifinutt
12-01-2023, 16:30
yes i have driven them with some modest amps and they are delightful . just sold my extra pair to someone with valve amps who is very pleased with them . still got the others with a humble denon pma 600ne

icehockeyboy
12-01-2023, 16:44
yes i have driven them with some modest amps and they are delightful . just sold my extra pair to someone with valve amps who is very pleased with them . still got the others with a humble denon pma 600ne

I’d assume that you are happy with them?

Should I just be patient then?

Jimbo
12-01-2023, 18:03

That may not actually be enough power. Yes it will make them work but to get them to sound great they me need more. I have heard of other B&W speakers requiring lots of power to get them sounding good.

I have a mate who is a B&W dealer so I will ask him what he recommends tomorrow.

Pigmy Pony
12-01-2023, 18:13
My brother used to drive his B&W speakers (DM603 S3) with a not very expensive Marantz amp, and they made a good sound. But it was only when he changed the amp to a Musical Fidelity A3.2 integrated, that they really came to life. A set up he still has 20 years on. I believe there is some synergy with B&W and MF gear. Seen them demo'ed together at shows a few years ago.

Macca
12-01-2023, 18:45
Swapped out my much loved Boston Acoustics MA25’s for the immensely well reviewed B&W 607s2 Anniversary Edition’s, and contrary to what I was expecting, they didn’t trounce the Boston’s.

I did buy them pre owned, but I don’t think they had hardly been used, so possibly not ‘run in’

Currently I have the chance to get the Boston’s back, but I’m wondering whether that’s a knee jerk reaction, and just give them longer?

I must admit the more I listen, the more they appear to be coming’on song’

Or is that just me getting used to them, or even a combination of both things?

Your thoughts please. ��

They got a headless panther on ASR I see...

forget about them improving with run in, at best a few hours at a decent volume and that's it. They get tested at the factory so even with a brand new speaker the drivers are not 'virginal'. You might get used to them but they are a very coloured loudspeaker, not at all accurate, so if you don't like their particular colouration forget it unless you use EQ. I'll bet your Boston Acoustics are better speakers in terms of an even response, so maybe these are not for you?

I would not use the Audio Analogue amp, it's not ideal for them. Need something beefier, Not necessarily more watts but less saggy power supply. The AA is notoriously weak with a speaker that goes much below 8 ohm. Not going to get the best out of them with that as Mr Pony says.

Try to get them at a height where the tweeter is just above the height of your ears, Don't toe them in. Keep away from side walls or damp the first refection points heavily. That should let them give their best.

Anyway that's my 2 cents.

icehockeyboy
13-01-2023, 10:28
Just to go back to my OP, I mentioned that I expected the 607's to trounce the Boston's, but they didn't.
They were on par, but as I said I expected them to be better. Some I believe have misinterpreted what I meant, believing that I didn't like them perhaps? Not the case I'm pleased to say.
Truth is as time goes by, they are becoming more 'on song'
I am enjoying them more and more, plus I have no intention, as has been suggested, that I get rid of the Pucinni amp, it is one of the nicest amps I've owned, and that's a fair few including Classé, Lyngdorf, and Kavent, with a lot of MF pre and power kit, as well as integrated along the way.
Thanks for your replies!

Jimbo
13-01-2023, 10:32
Hope they work out for you.

struth
13-01-2023, 10:44
They got a headless panther on ASR I see...

forget about them improving with run in, at best a few hours at a decent volume and that's it. They get tested at the factory so even with a brand new speaker the drivers are not 'virginal'. You might get used to them but they are a very coloured loudspeaker, not at all accurate, so if you don't like their particular colouration forget it unless you use EQ. I'll bet your Boston Acoustics are better speakers in terms of an even response, so maybe these are not for you?

I would not use the Audio Analogue amp, it's not ideal for them. Need something beefier, Not necessarily more watts but less saggy power supply. The AA is notoriously weak with a speaker that goes much below 8 ohm. Not going to get the best out of them with that as Mr Pony says.

Try to get them at a height where the tweeter is just above the height of your ears, Don't toe them in. Keep away from side walls or damp the first refection points heavily. That should let them give their best.

Anyway that's my 2 cents.

i found the puccini a lovely sounding amp but agree it struggled with some harder to drive speakers and thats the main reason i sold it at time. but i do often regret it

icehockeyboy
13-01-2023, 14:08
i found the puccini a lovely sounding amp but agree it struggled with some harder to drive speakers and thats the main reason i sold it at time. but i do often regret it

Im having no problem whatsoever with it driving the 607's! ��

Jimbo
13-01-2023, 14:18
You asked for out thoughts ???:doh:

Pigmy Pony
13-01-2023, 15:22
If in doubt, ask yourself "What would Steely Dan do?" Bring back the Boston MA25s, tell all your buddies that it ain't no drag. If you can afford to, and live with both until you've decided which you prefer.

icehockeyboy
13-01-2023, 19:42
You asked for out thoughts ???:doh:

Absolutely!
What makes you think otherwise?

Jimbo
13-01-2023, 20:56
Absolutely!
What makes you think otherwise?

Well basically you told us you had a pair of B&W 602 s2 speakers that you were not completely sure sounded better than your Bostons then you gave details of the amp driving them and a couple of us told you That it may not be powerful enough to get the best out of your speakers and then you said " I am having no problem whatsoever with it driving the 607s"

The point is not that your amp won't drive the 607s but it may not get the best out of them as they are quite low sensitivity speakers. Your amp may not have enough power. So that is my thought which you invited us to comment in your original post.

Are you ok with that?

Macca
13-01-2023, 21:06
I don't think the AA amp will drive them optimally - that is to say it may sound fine but it could be even better.

IIRC it will deliver less power into 4 ohms than into 8 ohms. The B&W are not that tough a load but they are not an ideal match for that type of amplifier.

icehockeyboy
14-01-2023, 10:53
Well basically you told us you had a pair of B&W 602 s2 speakers that you were not completely sure sounded better than your Bostons then you gave details of the amp driving them and a couple of us told you That it may not be powerful enough to get the best out of your speakers and then you said " I am having no problem whatsoever with it driving the 607s"

The point is not that your amp won't drive the 607s but it may not get the best out of them as they are quite low sensitivity speakers. Your amp may not have enough power. So that is my thought which you invited us to comment in your original post.

Are you ok with that?
Of course I am!
What I'm not understanding is why because I said that I love my amp, and that I seem not to be having problems that have been suggested, is that im being a bit off? Which im not! 😁

Edit to add that I said the 607's didn't trounce the Boston's, not anything else. 😁

icehockeyboy
24-01-2023, 18:58
Just to add, another 10 days into their journey, and the B&W's are sounding wonderful, at least to my ears!