PDA

View Full Version : Emerson Lake and Palmer

Grez
05-09-2010, 17:55
I've been listening to (and introducing my youngest daughter to) Emerson Lake and Palmer over the last couple of days. (Trilogy/Brain Salad Surgery). I haven't been able to get the tunes out of my head.

It all began while I was playing BSS on the hi-fi while the young 'un was in the bath. The bit of "Toccata" that sounds like someone trying to break out of the enemy compound in a 1970s episode of Dr. Who actually caused her to get out of the bath and ask what was going on! :lol:

I suppose sharing the music with her (she enjoyed it!) made me wonder why the band has been reviled by so many people over the years. Yes some of it is probably pretentious, self-indulgent and OTT, but there are some good tunes and great performances hidden in those grooves too. But even I've previously taken to playing these with headphones on, as if it's some guilty little secret that I'm not supposed to share with anyone else. Strange, really, because it was because of me that a mate I knew at university actually bought a ridiculously-priced import CD of Trilogy in 1988 having heard my album.

So, should I be ashamed to admit that I actually like these albums? Over to you? (If you reply, I want a reason why!) :)

Rare Bird
05-09-2010, 18:20
Best band to ever grace the worlds tab holes..Easy really

The 2010 Japanese SHM-CD issues sound awesome

Rare Bird
05-09-2010, 18:30
opps forgot one ;)

Reid Malenfant
05-09-2010, 18:39
I have heard some ELP stuff previously, it's just a pity that i never had the chance to listen to it on my own system as there is a distinct possibility that i'd like the stuff.

I find it interesting that the best quality CD recordings of it are from Japan, the chap i knew who liked ELP happened to be a big YMO (Yellow Magic Orchestra) fan. Now YMO i can get along with when i'm in the mood, i have loads of their stuff.

I really think i'm going to have to get to listen to some ELP here at home & make up my own mind :)

sparrow
05-09-2010, 20:28
One of my all time fave prog bands..although they did make a dud or three..namely In The Hot Seat, Black Moon & Works II..notice I didn't mention Love Beach..I actually am not ashamed to admit to liking that one.

Rare Bird
05-09-2010, 20:33
One of my all time fave prog bands..although they did make a dud or three..namely In The Hot Seat, Black Moon & Works II..notice I didn't mention Love Beach..I actually am not ashamed to admit to liking that one.

Aye keep to the early stuff

DSJR
05-09-2010, 20:48
Love Beach is best buried I think, as the band was worn out and each member desperate to follow their own paths by then.

Sparrow, wasn't TeeDee booked on the aborted 1977 US tour and suffered accordingly?

Much as I admire BSS (including one of the first times a sequencer was used at the very end), it's Trilogy I return to.

By the way, those Jap CD's use a superior MATERIAL for their construction. I seem to remember Ken Kessler raving about this stuff back in the mid eighties. I believe it's harder wearing and optically better too. Andre will tell more and provide the link :)

Grez
05-09-2010, 21:24
I don't own a copy of Works I - do you recommend I get it?

The Grand Wazoo
05-09-2010, 22:53
My advice - buy all of their albums, enjoy them for a while - long enough to get them out of your system & bin the lot except Tarkus.

If you like the 'good tunes' on an ELP album, they're probably someone else's. And have almost always been done more thrillingly by an orchestra.............Bach, Bartok, Bach, Janacek, Bach, Holst, Bach, Ravel, Bach, Copland, Bach, Mussorgsky, Bach, Ginastera, Bach, Prokofiev, Bach, Tchaikovsky...........you get the picture.

No offence Andre

The Grand Wazoo
06-09-2010, 00:00
Haha!
........Bach!

Haselsh1
07-09-2010, 08:46
Love Beach :lol: We need to treat this one with the respect it so clearly deserves.

Emerson, Lake and Palmer are on my PC as I type playing 'Brain Salad Surgery' and I just love it. Why were the band so reviled in days gone past. Probably extreme jealosy. They were just so damn successful and so they should've been.

Rare Bird
07-09-2010, 10:10
Emerson, Lake and Palmer are on my PC as I type playing 'Brain Salad Surgery' and I just love it. Why were the band so reviled in days gone past. Probably extreme jealosy. They were just so damn successful and so they should've been.

They were a supergroup & like no other band at the time, weither people like it or not

MartinT
07-09-2010, 16:39
I unashamedly love them. The battle scene in Tarkus is superb, up there with the one in The Gates of Delirium by Yes. Karn Evil 9 can be played all the way through and is very vivid with the eyes closed. Fanfare too. Frankly, all of their early to middle period albums.

Rare Bird
07-09-2010, 17:02
Clearly a man of great taste

MartinT
07-09-2010, 17:30
:)

Rare Bird
22-09-2010, 17:51
My advice - buy all of their albums, enjoy them for a while - long enough to get them out of your system & bin the lot except Tarkus.

No offence Andre

I've been thinking about what you said for a bit now

Dave Cawley
22-09-2010, 18:35
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45pIvr4gJD4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhPPJ5dolxU&feature=related

And the connection is?

Dave

DSJR
22-09-2010, 18:44
Love Beach :lol: We need to treat this one with the respect it so clearly deserves.

"..but I gave you life."

"What else could you do?"

"To do what was right!"

"I'm perfect, are you?"

Spectral Morn
22-09-2010, 18:59
Works is very over indulgent and smacks of a band on their last legs fulfilling a contract with what amounts to solo mini albums.

Imho Fanfare for the Common Man is the only stand out track the rest is take it or leave it for me and while I own the original vinyl album I have listened to it once....when I bought it new....nuff said.

Their first album, Tarkus and Brain Salad Surgery are the best imho with their first being the stand out.

Regards D S D L

The Grand Wazoo
22-09-2010, 23:30
I've been thinking about what you said for a bit now

.....and your conclusion was?

Rare Bird
22-09-2010, 23:33
.....and your conclusion was?

Your actually correct.

The Grand Wazoo
23-09-2010, 00:13
Ah, I see!
I still love Tarkus, but the others lost their sparkle for me years ago.

MartinT
23-09-2010, 05:47
Karn Evil 9 is still an epic.

REM
23-09-2010, 08:42
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45pIvr4gJD4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhPPJ5dolxU&feature=related

And the connection is?

Dave

Dunno....but that reminds me I've got a Mars bar in the fridge.....;)

MartinT
23-09-2010, 09:03
Maybe Keith Emerson likes Mars Bars?

worrasf
23-09-2010, 09:40
I have every album they released (I think) including the world tour 1974 (I was there) roundal sticker in my copy of the Triple album.:)

The world tour T-shirt was my pride and joy until a "mate" ripped it off me at a party :steam:

This was the era where those of a certain disposition (length of hair etc) fell into the ELP or YES camp :cool:

In those days I had a Garrard SP25 MkIII with G800 cartridge, home built/solarvox speakers and a premier? amp - which became a sansui (?5051)

My sister who is in the "music business" has worked with KE and recently met up with him when he was playing - she said he was an absolute gent - even took time out to talk to my nephew about his fledgling music career - gets my vote.
:lolsign:

Regards
Steve

Rare Bird
23-09-2010, 10:03
Where you see em Empire Theatre, Liverpool?

worrasf
23-09-2010, 10:08
Hi - no I think it was Earls Court but many a grey cell has fled the nest since then so could be wrong

MartinT
23-09-2010, 10:09
This was the era where those of a certain disposition (length of hair etc) fell into the ELP or YES camp

I fell into both!

Rare Bird
23-09-2010, 10:10
Hi - no I think it was Earls Court but many a grey cell has fled the nest since then so could be wrong

It'll be Empire Pool Wembley

worrasf
23-09-2010, 10:13
Yep - that'll be it.

Haselsh1
25-09-2010, 18:57
I fell into both!

I distinctly remember having very long hair, wearing bright yellow canvas jeans and a dark purple jacket. I was that Yes fan...!!!

DSJR
25-09-2010, 19:17
Terrible what thiry five plus years does to one ain't it?

MartinT
25-09-2010, 20:25
Oh yes, black and purple Harringtons. As for the hair, I wish I had a fraction now that I had then :)

Rare Bird
25-09-2010, 21:55
Oh yes, black and purple Harringtons. As for the hair, I wish I had a fraction now that I had then :)

I'm might be able to spare some, i've got plenni :lolsign:

Grez
26-09-2010, 07:36
Your actually correct.

I don't believe you!