PDA

View Full Version : Laura Marling - I speak because I can

SteveW
04-09-2010, 06:01
Over this summer I just can't get the songs from this album out of my head. Whilst she might be the darling of the current folk generation (beau of Marcus Mumford I believe), it stands out on it's own.
I cannot recommend this highly enough. Having woken at 5 this morning, and listened to it on headphones again, I keep discovering stuff on it. A classic of it's genre.

aquapiranha
05-09-2010, 12:07
Laura Marling is ace, under rated like many who deserve more recognition.

Ashmore
05-09-2010, 20:09
I couldn't agree with Steve more. It is a fantastic album and my 'find of the year so far'.

S

Alex_UK
05-09-2010, 21:34
I'd best give it another listen quick then, because I was underwhelmed after one play and don't think it got another...

The Grand Wazoo
05-09-2010, 23:20
I dialled it up on Spotify the other day & thought it was pretty good.

Tim
05-09-2011, 19:44
After seeing Laura at the weekend I am very impressed indeed, she's a damn fine live act and this is a great album IMO (as is her first album). I had a quick look to see that she's on tour later in the year and it's totally sold out! I think this girls going to make it and good luck to her if she does, she's bloody good and one of my finds of the year too :)

Good on ya' Laura

:cool:

http://open.spotify.com/artist/7B2edU3Q7btJoNsoHCNohM

YNWaN
05-09-2011, 22:06
Her new album is imminent (A Creature I Don't Know) - have ordered it already (on vinyl of course).

I already have the previous two albums of course :).

DanJennings
06-09-2011, 06:35
Is it miles better than her first album? I have that and I find it a bit average...

YNWaN
06-09-2011, 08:46
If you find her first album a bit average (which it is not), I doubt you will like it.

Tim
06-09-2011, 09:19
If you find her first album a bit average (whicj it is not), I doubt you will like it.
Agreed, if you didn't like the first album Dan, Laura's probably not for you.

DanJennings
06-09-2011, 10:21
Agreed, if you didn't like the first album Dan, Laura's probably not for you.

Sorry if I came across a bit blunt.... It's OK, it just doesn't blow me away or anything...

Tim
06-09-2011, 10:28
Sorry if I came across a bit blunt.... It's OK, it just doesn't blow me away or anything...
I didn't think you were blunt at all Dan, she won't be to everyone's taste and seeing her live raised the bar for me, as she's such a great kid.
We can't all like the same stuff and for me the artist themselves can have quite an impact on how I view them overall. ;)

DanJennings
06-09-2011, 10:46
Are you a fan of Noah and the Whale? She used to go out with the singer, and she features prominently on their first album.... (before their breakup, and cue NATW's very melancholy second album ;))

YNWaN
06-09-2011, 11:16

Nah, doesn't matter - everyone has their own tastes :) - I do really like her first album though; but I wasn't being flippant, from what you have said, I doubt you will like her new album.

I thought she was OK live, but the air-conditioning was really loud. At one point she addressed the throng by saying "cor blimey, you are such a polite crowd" - to which someone immediately responded - SORRY :).

Yes, I do quite like NatW.

Tim
06-09-2011, 11:21
Are you a fan of Noah and the Whale?
Never totally got them, I have 'Peaceful, the World Lays Me Down' and think I've played it twice, never went any further than that - so no, not a fan really, I find them rather depressing. To be fair though, I have never really listened to them since the first album.

DanJennings
06-09-2011, 21:12
Never totally got them, I have 'Peaceful, the World Lays Me Down' and think I've played it twice, never went any further than that - so no, not a fan really, I find them rather depressing. To be fair though, I have never really listened to them since the first album.

Blimey if you think Peaceful The World.... is depressing, do NOT play the second one (The First Days of Spring), it makes the first one positively joyful by comparison...

Tim
07-09-2011, 00:06
Blimey if you think Peaceful The World.... is depressing, do NOT play the second one
:lol: of course you know I'm going to have to now!

Tim
22-09-2011, 23:43
Can you believe that Laura Marling tickets are selling on eBay for over £150.00 for a pair on her sold out Cathedral tour.
That's more than I paid for a 3 day festival ticket with her on the billing :scratch:

She's good for sure, but not that good.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280738709772?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Completed listings (http://www.ebay.co.uk/csc/i.html?_nkw=laura+marling+tickets&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=See-All-Categories&_okw=laura+marling+tickets&_oexkw=&_adv=1&LH_Complete=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=200&_fpos=Postcode&LH_SALE_CURRENCY=0&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50)

Concerto Audio
23-09-2011, 10:43
It is an outstanding album and have been listening to it for few days now.
When i listen to it more and more some of the tunes become very familiar and start to wonder whether i have heard the same tunes before.
Some of the tracks in the album resembles Natalie Merchant - Leave Your Sleep album.